Everyone's hating on Nickelback

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
If your friends still care enough about music to use the word gay as an insult, well, all I can say is that very little that happens while you live with your parents actually matters.

I hit college and aside from a little pop insult, no one ever really bothered to care about music anymore. Not loudly, anyway.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
SextusMaximus said:
Yes, stereotypical rap is definitely what Escapist users enjoy. Senseless violence, misogyny and drugs? YES PLEASE.
plenty of us love rap...and not the typical gangsta bullshti eather

w9496

Jun 28, 2011
I like Nickelback a little bit. Figured You Out is probably my favorite song by them.

They're not the most unique band in the world, but their songs are catchy as hell.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
xplosive59 said:
Same with Linkin Park, but at least they were somewhat "original" when their debut came out.
I feel a bit insulted on behalf of linkin park to be compared with nickelback

sure they are polarsing..but at least they had/have a very different sound and went all kinds of places..

nickle back has always remained medicore crap
OhJohnNo said:
"Sell Out"? Linkin Park didn't sell out. If anything they did a Radiohead and voluntarily sacrificed hugeness to do the music they want. Respected 'em more ever since A Thousand Suns (beautiful Floydesque album, btw).
yeah I always figured selling out was producing more "popular" (worse) music for the money/populaity

and I too love thousand suns

Axolotl

Feb 17, 2008
shameduser said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
shameduser said:
Nickleback is the Nicolas Cage of music. That's why people hate them.
That's unfair. To nickelback, no less. Cage can't act, period. At least Nickelback know how to hit notes on their instruments.
Nickleback is bad. So is Cage. But National Treasure wasn't a bad movie. I stand by my statement.
What films have you actually seen Cage in? Because he is a very good actor when he's in films that don't suck. And when he's in films that do suck he knows how to make them fun to watch.

MorganL4

Person
May 1, 2008
Zombie_Fish said:
MorganL4 said:
THIS is what started the Nickelback hate:
Yeah, that video is actually completely fake. The version of Someday [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VMFdpdDYYA] used is pitch-shifted up one semitone to put it in the same key as How You Remind Me, and the version of How You Remind Me [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cQh1ccqu8M] used has had sections cut out to make it fit better with Someday. By that logic, Blink-182 were essentially re-using the same song when they wrote The Blowjob Song [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5gSq5QIxmE], All The Small Things [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ht5RZpzPqw] and M+Ms [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZs88WWGDoo].
Yes, I am well aware that it is slightly off, its not exactly hidden very well....

The point is that when I first heard Someday it was playing on VH1 ( at one point that channel showed music videos on occasion) I was in the process of walking to the fridge ( was gonna make a PB&J) I heard the opening and started singing How you remind me, but you know what? Same band new song different lyrics..... The songs do not line up perfectly we all know that, but they are damned close..... At least when good bands want to rip themselves off they don't hide it...

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
There is a million of these threads, and 99% of the comments are people saying they are over-exposed and just bland. There are bands that try to be original and try new things on each album, and then there are many more that don't try at all to be different and mainly create pop to be commercial and make easy money. Is it really that hard to understand why these pop bands get the hate?

My favourite thread is when they said they were against Guitar Hero because it's slowing down the rock industry. Funny because it's a decent message, but it's coming from them out of all bands.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/87589-Nickelback-Wants-You-To-Stop-Playing-Guitar-Hero

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
I despise Nickelback because I see it as the sort of lowest common denominator sludge that a 42-year old balding tax accountant would play while driving home from work and think they're so rebellious.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
CpT_x_Killsteal said:
So I was walking around the bush listening to Nickelback when I remembered, that lately, hating on Nickelback seems to be a trend.
Hating Nickleback is not a trend. They've been hated throughout their entire career. That's what happens when you start off as a blatant Nirvana rip-off and go on to make the most generic music on every album.

Dark Horse is an OK album but Nickelback has the same kind of problem that Taylor Swift has. Taylor Swift (besides not being able to sing live) only sings about 2 things. Breaking up with a guy, or falling for a guy. Nothing else. This is why Kanye West interrupting her was the best exposure that girl will ever have in her career.

Nickleback makes nothing but generic music that sounds like a knock off of lots of other bands. That's why they are hated.

SextusMaximus

Nightingale Assassin
May 20, 2009
Vault101 said:
SextusMaximus said:
Yes, stereotypical rap is definitely what Escapist users enjoy. Senseless violence, misogyny and drugs? YES PLEASE.
plenty of us love rap...and not the typical gangsta bullshti eather
That's what I'm saying, when rap is done well it's good, but you have to wade through a loooot of shit to get to the good stuff.

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
Ieyke said:
. Nickleback used to be pretty GOOD....like 11 years ago.....
What struck me back then was how desperately the bush frontman wanted to be Kurt cobain, and how desperately nickel back wanted to be bush.

Zombie_Fish

Opiner of Mottos
Mar 20, 2009
MorganL4 said:
Yes, I am well aware that it is slightly off, its not exactly hidden very well....

The point is that when I first heard Someday it was playing on VH1 ( at one point that channel showed music videos on occasion) I was in the process of walking to the fridge ( was gonna make a PB&J) I heard the opening and started singing How you remind me, but you know what? Same band new song different lyrics..... The songs do not line up perfectly we all know that, but they are damned close..... At least when good bands want to rip themselves off they don't hide it...
Out of a seven album discography over seventeen years, two songs sound kind of similar.[footnote]And note that this is a very liberal definition of 'kind of': The songs are in different keys, have different chord structures, different pre-choruses, post-choruses and bridge sections and different instrumentation. But hey, they have the same tempo and a similar-ish rhythm.[/footnote] Right. Are you going to use the same reason to hate every artist who has ever used the twelve bar blues more than once in their career? Or how about artists who re-use the I, V, VI, IV sequence mocked so much by Axis of Awesome [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pidokakU4I]?

Fumbles

Apr 15, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:
OhJohnNo said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Nicklelback are the very definition of generic rock music.

Generic lyrics, generic sound, there's just nothing genuine about the music either, on the one hand they sing about fucking shit up, then on the other, they're saying we all need to stand together to make the world a better place.

I hate the term 'sell out', but they're right up there with Linkin Park.
"Sell Out"? Linkin Park didn't sell out. If anything they did a Radiohead and voluntarily sacrificed hugeness to do the music they want. Respected 'em more ever since A Thousand Suns (beautiful Floydesque album, btw).

OT: Nickelback are way overhated IMO. Far from the worst band around right now - just a sort of average one. I'm fine with them really, their songs are catchy an' all. Also, Rockstar has a tad more smarts to its name than people give it credit for.
So Linkin Park didn't make a track exclusively for the release of Medal of Honour?

Wait, they did ¬_¬

You know Linkin Park gets knocked for this, but I dont understand why.

Lame Ass Avenged Sevenfold actually got modeled and sang a song in Blops2... who "sold out" more?

Sight Unseen

The North Remembers
Nov 18, 2009
Because:

a) almost every one of their songs sounds the same to me
b) their lyrics are crude, offensive and HORRIBLE
c) fuck anyone who thinks that the lyric "this shit is bat shit crazy" is a good idea.

Nazulu said:
There is a million of these threads, and 99% of the comments are people saying they are over-exposed and just bland. There are bands that try to be original and try new things on each album, and then there are many more that don't try at all to be different and mainly create pop to be commercial and make easy money. Is it really that hard to understand why these pop bands get the hate?

My favourite thread is when they said they were against Guitar Hero because it's slowing down the rock industry. Funny because it's a decent message, but it's coming from them out of all bands.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/87589-Nickelback-Wants-You-To-Stop-Playing-Guitar-Hero
They also have many songs of their own playable in Rock Band now... Much to the dismay of all.

MorganL4

Person
May 1, 2008
Zombie_Fish said:
MorganL4 said:

Out of a seven album discography over seventeen years, two songs sound kind of similar.[footnote]And note that this is a very liberal definition of 'kind of': The songs are in different keys, have different chord structures, different pre-choruses, post-choruses and bridge sections and different instrumentation. But hey, they have the same tempo and a similar-ish rhythm.[/footnote] Right. Are you going to use the same reason to hate every artist who has ever used the twelve bar blues more than once in their career? Or how about artists who re-use the I, V, VI, IV sequence mocked so much by Axis of Awesome [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pidokakU4I]?
First off, when did I say I hated Nickelback? I don't... I actually own one of their albums..... But I can admit that they are generic and not very high quality..... AND DID YOU WATCH THE VIDEOS I POSTED? Seriously..... It was of a band doing a blues standard, and then doing the same blues standard AGAIN but with different lyrics...... Hate everyone that does a 12 bar blues standard...... No offense dude but I know more about the blues than you could ever hope to...... I just can't help but find that accusation hilarious. I'm the guy who listens to Ledbelly on a regular basis for crying out loud..... Since you probably don't know who that is, here is a YouTube of him doing a cover ( and yes I said cover) of what has now become a rock standard.

I should also mention that when I went and saw Nickelback live (yes they guy you are accusing here actually went to one of their concerts) They played Someday, but it was very noticable that they DID NOT play How you remind me. I noticed the lack of one of their biggest hits, so did the group I was with, but they played Hero of all songs

I should also mention that one of my favorite songs is actually Santana's Into The Night which features one Chad Kroger

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
They've prettymuch tapped out whatever songwriting talent they have. Theres some argument that if someone else wrote stuff for them (and they played it), they might improve (see Kroeger's appearance on whichever Santana album)

The other factor in both their massive success and contrasting hatedom, is guitar distortion aside, they basically follow all the tricks of your general country bands. Its the same old drink your beer, think about your last woman, kick some guys ass, etc. With your obligatory "We all stand as one" ballads.

jpoon

Mar 26, 2009
They're the definition of a band that exists just to exist. They really have no sound that is their own, they're just...bland, boring, and seem like total tools.

Dascylus

May 22, 2010
What are they supposed to stand for? Isn't it just about music to enjoy?
Do we really need bands to stand for some great rebellion?
My friends laud out the same hate on Papa Roach.

Tell you what, I'll replace my christmas playlists with Nickelback for a couple of days and get back to you.