Everything You Know about Anime Is Wrong

Phoenixlight

Aug 24, 2008
Too long, didn't read. It's great that people hate/dislike anime, that's what makes it interesting, if it became as common as dirt then it wouldn't be as appealing anymore.

boag

Sep 13, 2010
Casual Shinji said:
boag said:
Casual Shinji said:
Elmoth said:
Alright then. . . give me an example of a japanese manga that is similar to Watchmen or Hellboy.
Berserk

It's still ongoing and it kinda sucks now, but volume 1 to 22 is absolute gold. Given you don't have a weak stomach.
Just because Guts is running around with a new crew, and it takes months for a new chapter doesnt mean it sucks now.

People have just been spoiled that they were able to breeze through the entire Golden Age arc, without having to endure the months it took between chapters.

If this was 20 years ago, people would be complaining about how shit berserk is because nothing ever happens and its just people talking all the time, when the first arc showed guts battling a demon slug.
I really don't mind the new crew at all. I actually think that Miura handled the page time of each character very well.

Three things I dislike about Berserk now, which all started after the Tower of Conviction arc:

1) Farnese's character shift. She was probably my favourite female character in the whole story because she was just so darn fucked up and complex. She's filled with fears, but instead of fighting them she chooses to give herself over to them in the hope to find comfort and peace of mind. It even fuels her sexual desire to the point where she mastrubates at the thought of people burning alive at the stake. So it's pretty clear that that shit runs pretty deep.
But then after the Tower of Conviction she simply decides to not be fucked up anymore and becomes the shy and demure heroine who tries to find the power within herself. *barf* She basically becomes Orihime from Bleach.
Then it gets even better when she wants to be trained in magic. Not out of the insane, twisted curiosity brought on by fear she used to have, but because of genuine admiration. And this girl was as aggressively religious as they come. For her there was no way but the Vatican way. Sure, it was out of fear and confusion, but if it runs deep enough to fuel your sexual desire you don't just switch that off.

2) Guts' mild manners. Now I'd be lying if I said I didn't miss Guts' old cruel self just a little bit, but it goes beyond that. He just seems to have lost his passion. Whether he was a cruel mad dog killer, a little kid trying to impress his "father", or a raiders captain, there was always a fire and an energy to him and this kinda disappeared in and around volume 23. This is only a minor dislike though.

3) The Berserk armor. Words cannot discibe how much I fucking hate the inclusion of this stupid thing and how it almost totally destroys what made Guts such a compelling charater, but I'll try anyway.
To put it simply, the Berserk armor adds a deus ex machina situation to Berserk when the story was always above that sort of thing. Guts' struggle was so involving because he's a human being taking on the forces of hell with his own strength alone; No magic or demonic curse like in Naruto or Bleach, but his own muscles and training. Sure, it was an inhuman strength, but he earned it throughout the many years on the battlefield. Whatever didn't kill him made him stronger, and he had encountered many horifying creatures who seemed way out of his league. But through cunning, strength, and pushing himself to his physical and mental limits he ultimately conquered his opponent, usually at the expense of his sanity.
From the moment he got raped as a child to the moment he was pinned down by demons watching Casca get raped by his former best friend turned demon god, he vowed to never let any opponent get the best of him ever again, no matter the cost. Even if it meant going insane, or losing his arm he would never let anyone dominate him whether it be human, demon, or god.
The Berserk armor ruines all that, because now whenever Guts is in a situation he can't handle he just swithces on the armor and he just breezes through the fight like it was nothing. No tension, no sense of gratification or victory, nothing.

I don't dislike everything from volume 22/23 on though. I actually really liked how the concept of magic and witches was done. It felt way more interesting and involving then anything I've ever seen in Harry Potter.
I love having a Good Berserk Discussion, thank you for letting me indulge in it :)

ok on Farnesse, The Tower of Conviction was the breaking point of her long held beliefs, which were built on the foundation of Pleasing her Daddy.

Remember that Farnesse wasnt always the stalwart of the Church, she was a wild Child that her Father slowly had to cage, when she started going out to burn people for the Church and received praise for it, she finally thought that her Father would acknowledge her. Also Remember that she became the Shield Maiden, because Serpico refused to elope with her, she fell back into something that would make her feel safe and appreciated.

The Masturbation scene wasnt about her religious beliefs, in fact I dont think she ever held them in high steem, she was lying to herself in an effort to keep up the charade, which was broken when Mosgus, the epitome of the self sanctioning and abusive church, was transformed by the egg apostle and subsequently was defeated in battle by Guts, the guy that she had been tracking for years and was the antithesis of her supposed church duties.

Furthermore, when her mask broke, she was left again with nothing, and she tried to cling to the only thing that seemed real to her, the only thing that was able to survive the nightmare that was the Tower of conviction. You have to realize the Tower the worst thing anyone could ever see, it was just as traumatic for the people that survived it, as the Eclipse was to Guts, people do change after these types of events, if you dont believe that, go ask a Tsunami survivor how their focus on life is now.

Lastly on Farnesse, delving into magic, it was a another character building arc that spawned across several plot arcs, her first interaction with Guts, he tells her they will be a burden to him and that he is already tied up with Caska, she tries to help out by taking care of Caska and Guts becomes dependant on this. When they got trapped by Trolls, Farnesses once again faces not being able to protect Caska without Guts around, this happens again when they reach Vandimion state and she gives herself over, thinking that the best thing she can do is sacrifice her freedom for letting Guts go on her Journey. None of these things are easy, specially for a wild spirit like Farnesse, the inclusion of her wanting to become a witch is because a sense of admiration she has towards Shierke, who has always lived a happy life of freedom, and she wants to use this power to protect Caska, Guts and the rest of the crew she has developed a relation with.

On to Guts not having his fire anymore.

You have to understand, the fire rage and mad dog attitude have now become his enemy, he is constantly trying to keep his rage in check, because of what happened when he got taken over and hurt Caska. This has weighed heavily on him, because he was able to open up to Caska about his own trauma, and she accepted him, he went on a revenge rampage because of Caska, its central to the character. The constant battle of wills between him and the Demon Dog has worn him out, there is also the encounter with Slaan, that basically crush his spirit, to the point where the Skull plot dev... Knight had to rescue him a second time. which leads me into the 3rd point.

The armor, yes it is a plot device, yet its a plot device that doesnt give him the instant win ability that plagues Shonen. This thing is a cursed item for a reason, no eating him alive from the inside isnt the main reason, its because it has finally given the Demon Dog a physical Form, it has been shown every time he used it, that he is losing more and more control, even now with Shierke on his side its a losing battle, because the Demon Dog is getting stronger and stronger. The armor has become as much weight as a crutch, he doesnt want to use it, and his core group know he shouldnt use it, that is why he asked Serpico to kill him in case he fully loses it.

Guts hasnt lost his continous struggle for survival, its just that it has changed dramatically, from a physical battle to a spiritual one as well, with fits in the themes of the story, since now the world has been united with 2 more planes of existance, and reality as a whole has been altered.

You should have realized that Berserk was going to be a Fantasy story, from the moment the Count transformed into the Snake Apostle in the first arc, heck when you should have known when shota fairy was introduced.

Otaku World Order

Nov 24, 2011
Bhaalspawn said:
Otaku World Order said:
Bhaalspawn said:
Hell, even when a show gets an English translation, I see many anime fans clawing at the walls about how awful it is. CLAMP had a comic book and cartoon about a little girl who captured spirits in the forms of tarot cards and it sucked. They gave it to Nelvana to translate into English and it was one of the best shows I've ever seen.
It was?

I'm a little surprised by that, since when CardCaptor Sakura became CardCaptors, Nelvana decided to show the episodes completely out of order making a tangled mess of the plot.
Here in Canada, all 70 episodes were shown in the right order.
I live in Ontario and I can assure you, Nelvana screwed up the order when they first broadcast it. The first episode they aired was actually the seventh episode in the actual continuity in the series.

They may have fixed it later on, but when they started they were all over the map with that dub job.

boag

Sep 13, 2010
Bhaalspawn said:
Otaku World Order said:
Bhaalspawn said:
Otaku World Order said:
Bhaalspawn said:
Hell, even when a show gets an English translation, I see many anime fans clawing at the walls about how awful it is. CLAMP had a comic book and cartoon about a little girl who captured spirits in the forms of tarot cards and it sucked. They gave it to Nelvana to translate into English and it was one of the best shows I've ever seen.
It was?

I'm a little surprised by that, since when CardCaptor Sakura became CardCaptors, Nelvana decided to show the episodes completely out of order making a tangled mess of the plot.
I live in Ontario and I can assure you, Nelvana screwed up the order when they first broadcast it. The first episode they aired was actually the seventh episode in the actual continuity in the series.

They may have fixed it later on, but when they started they were all over the map with that dub job.
I should have clarified. Canadian networks aired it in it's chronological order, as they didn't start boradcasting it until a few years after it's original airdate. Teletoon (the Canadian division of Cartoon Network) started airing the show around 2003, and it started with the episode where all the cards were released.
Then what is the difference from the original and the Nelvana dub?

Otaku World Order

Nov 24, 2011
Bhaalspawn said:
Otaku World Order said:
Bhaalspawn said:
Otaku World Order said:
Bhaalspawn said:
It was?

I should have clarified. Canadian networks aired it in it's chronological order, as they didn't start boradcasting it until a few years after it's original airdate. Teletoon (the Canadian division of Cartoon Network) started airing the show around 2003, and it started with the episode where all the cards were released.
Ah, now I understand.

See, I first saw the dubbed version of the series back in 2000 (oddly enough, also on TeleToon) and at that point the order was screwed up. (The first episode aired was actually the eighth episode, not the seventh as I previously said).

By 2003, they had managed to yank everything back into order.

Tiamattt

Jul 15, 2011
@Bhaalspawn

Um, outright refusing to watch something is calling it good? Getting mixed messages here. And what exactly is "this"? You mean being in a different language? Because if people are going to bash something that has nothing to do with the quality of the actual work then they're not really worth listening to.

And very few? Please tell me you're joking. There are tons of people that do it all the time, and that's just counting anime. Add people that enjoy watching foreign films/shows and that number just skyrockets, especially if we're counting people in the whole world.

As for something as petty as not watching a translation yeah everything has fans like that, not just anime. Go into a sports bar and say something is wrong with the local team and you bound to upset somebody. Movies, books, games yeah everything will always have fans that don't take well to change. So it's hardly a thing only anime fans have to deal with.

As for haters I personally believe that word applies to anyone that hate something no matter what, usually on a irrational scale. Just providing criticism doesn't make you a hater, doing something like saying blah blah blah is the worst movie ever made just because it was made by a directer you don't like would make you a "insert director here" hater. Seeing the actual film and pointing out what's wrong with it is different. If people are going to call you a hater because of that, well it's up to you to decide whether talking to them is worth your time but I wouldn't.

Fusionxl

Oct 25, 2009
Wise sages. Please recommend me a Baby's First Anime. Something manly. Preferably sci-fi themed.

Tiamattt

Jul 15, 2011
It's not heavy on the sci-fi theme but Cowboy Bebop is a good classic to start with. Hope you like it.

Fetzenfisch

Sep 11, 2009
Television is a medium. Anime is cartoons from Japan. And i still cant stand watching it. The aesthetics propagated in japanise popculture just repells me instantly. SO i dont care about some if it being deep and well written. i do not doubt that. I still can't watch things looking like that.I can't make people go into theatres or enjoying puppet plays. Those can be very well done too and you animu worshippers will never change my taste in looks.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
boag said:
I love having a Good Berserk Discussion, thank you for letting me indulge in it :)
Oh no, thank you ;)

Farnese snip
My point is that there was something really dark inside her. You could see it in her eyes when see looked upon the bloody whip marks she left on Guts, and when she saw the rebels being tortured by wheel when we're first introduced to Mosgus; A certain lust for physical pain. It hadn't come to full bloom yet, but it was very much there.
Same as the moment when she is briefly possessed, and the demon in question easily exposes her ritualistic self-lashings as an act of pleasure instead of religious penance. This is why she clutched so firmly to her religion. Because she knows what she feels is wrong, but since no one can surpress their sexual desire she hides behind a mask of piety.

And then all of a sudden that darkness is gone. This just doesn't make sense to me. I don't mind that she follows Guts in the hope to learn the secret to oppose the Darkness - something she's feared and induldged in her entire life. It's just that it seems she doesn't even need to learn the secret anymore, because her twisted desire for pain seems to have vanished into thin air. And it was this conficting side of her that was fun to behold. Now she's just a boring side character.

You have to understand, the fire rage and mad dog attitude have now become his enemy, he is constantly trying to keep his rage in check, because of what happened when he got taken over and hurt Caska. This has weighed heavily on him, because he was able to open up to Caska about his own trauma, and she accepted him, he went on a revenge rampage because of Caska, its central to the character. The constant battle of wills between him and the Demon Dog has worn him out, there is also the encounter with Slaan, that basically crush his spirit, to the point where the Skull plot dev... Knight had to rescue him a second time. which leads me into the 3rd point.

The armor, yes it is a plot device, yet its a plot device that doesnt give him the instant win ability that plagues Shonen. This thing is a cursed item for a reason, no eating him alive from the inside isnt the main reason, its because it has finally given the Demon Dog a physical Form, it has been shown every time he used it, that he is losing more and more control, even now with Shierke on his side its a losing battle, because the Demon Dog is getting stronger and stronger. The armor has become as much weight as a crutch, he doesnt want to use it, and his core group know he shouldnt use it, that is why he asked Serpico to kill him in case he fully loses it.

Guts hasnt lost his continous struggle for survival, its just that it has changed dramatically, from a physical battle to a spiritual one as well, with fits in the themes of the story, since now the world has been united with 2 more planes of existance, and reality as a whole has been altered.

You should have realized that Berserk was going to be a Fantasy story, from the moment the Count transformed into the Snake Apostle in the first arc, heck when you should have known when shota fairy was introduced.
This actually gets into a 4th dislike I have for current Berserk: The Demon Dog.

I don't see the need for this blatant symbolic representation of Guts' dark side. Berserk has always had plenty of symbolism, but it was always much more subtle. The moment I saw this Demon Dog thing manifest right after Guts defeated that girl apostle it felt very superfluous. Guts' darkness was always perfectly represented by his own facial expressions, it didn't need some symbolic dog thing to tell the audience they'd better not be around him right now.

Plus, I just hate the way it looks as well as the helmet. It makes him look like Big Daddy from the Kick-Ass movie.

Honestly, I've found the most interesting events after the Tower of Conviction to take place in the new Band of the Hawk.

Though I will admit that when I saw Slaan manifest in the physical world I squeed like a little girl. That was such a mindblowing pay-off after the entire build-up with the trolls and ogres and whatnot.

boag

Sep 13, 2010
Casual Shinji said:
boag said:
Oh no, thank you ;)

Farnese snip
My point is that there was something really dark inside her. You could see it in her eyes when see looked upon the bloody whip marks she left on Guts, and when she saw the rebels being tortured by wheel when we're first introduced to Mosgus; A certain lust for physical pain. It hadn't come to full bloom yet, but it was very much there.
Same as the moment when she is briefly possessed, and the demon in question easily exposes her ritualistic self-lashings as an act of pleasure instead of religious penance. This is why she clutched so firmly to her religion. Because she knows what she feels is wrong, but since no one can surpress their sexual desire she hides behind a mask of piety.

And then all of a sudden that darkness is gone. This just doesn't make sense to me. I don't mind that she follows Guts in the hope to learn the secret to oppose the Darkness - something she's feared and induldged in her entire life. It's just that it seems she doesn't even need to learn the secret anymore, because her twisted desire for pain seems to have vanished into thin air. And it was this conficting side of her that was fun to behold. Now she's just a boring side character.

This actually gets into a 4th dislike I have for current Berserk: The Demon Dog.

I don't see the need for this blatant symbolic representation of Guts' dark side. Berserk has always had plenty of symbolism, but it was always much more subtle. The moment I saw this Demon Dog thing manifest right after Guts defeated that girl apostle it felt very superfluous. Guts' darkness was always perfectly represented by his own facial expressions, it didn't need some symbolic dog thing to tell the audience they'd better not be around him right now.

Plus, I just hate the way it looks as well as the helmet. It makes him look like Big Daddy from the Kick-Ass movie.

Honestly, I've found the most interesting events after the Tower of Conviction to take place in the new Band of the Hawk.

Though I will admit that when I saw Slaan manifest in the physical world I squeed like a little girl. That was such a mindblowing pay-off after the entire build-up with the trolls and ogres and whatnot.

Oh the Farnese character growth was really good, this is why I love her as a character, the thing with lust and self inflicting pain, those were part of her issues with her Father, she wanted to be loved for who she was, and appreciated, but still the Vandimion Family name weighed on her, remember the discussion she had with her mother, how her mother admitted never being a good mother and how she couldn't relate to her, but she still loved her. Its the kind of stuff that fucks people up and something they have to grow out of.

The Tower arc was the event that broke down all her pre-conceptions, it was traumatic as hell, subsequently traveling with Guts gave her strength of will and a new purpose. Just like it has given the rest of the group something to achieve, its pretty common that interaction with people will have an influence on how they think, which I why I believe Farnesse no where even in the same category as Orihime, who is just an excuse for Kubo to draw tits.

I can understand the dislike for the demon dog, but im not certain its an entirely different character, at first I thought it might have been a spirit that possessed guts when he left down his guard while protecting Caska, but the more I see its still his primal urges. I am most certain that the encounter with Slaan gave it more strenght, but right now i wouldnt be surprised if the Demon Dog turned out to be just a split personality or Guts innermost desire for survival made manifest, which would be an ironic twist, since those save survival instincts are what have kept him alive for so long. Its probably why the Dog resents Caska so much, Guts has been having to lock it away in order to protect her.

BTW I loved when Slaan appeared and cant wait for the next chapter, that fight in the ocean with suddenly mermaids everywhere was awesome.

Coldster

Oct 29, 2010
This is quite a remarkable article. I like it, dispite not liking the majority of anime (I only really like Dragonball and Dragonball Z but I used to watch Inyuasha and Naruto but then I found them boring as I got older...). This also reminds me of another epic thread about anime, which I enjoyed as well: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.253074-What-is-so-great-about-Anime

I'm glad that people can enjoy it, even if it will never be in my interests. We all have different tastes, and we should be able to respect that. Gee, MLP sure taught me a lot...

fnlrpa

Dec 14, 2010
hazabaza1 said:
Good read that. Though I don't recall seeing anything about Gurren Lagann, and any discussion without that particular anime infuriates me.
I agree with you. and also you forgot about Code Geass. shame on you /kidding

FireAza

Aug 16, 2011
Fusionxl said:
Wise sages. Please recommend me a Baby's First Anime. Something manly. Preferably sci-fi themed.
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann is sci-fi that's about manliness ;P The only mark against it is it's directed Hiroyuki Imaishi, who loves to use exaggerated perspective in his animation, which gives it a very "comic book" feel. Which might be a good thing if you're used to way animation is done in the west, but less-so if you want something more "serious" and "realistic". Regardless, it's often a popular series among new people, so give it a go.

Aside from that, Cowboy Bebop as Tiamattt said, is a very good series that new people often like. If you like Blade Runner, I'll throw a recommendation in for the first anime I saw, Bubblegum Crisis: Tokyo 2040. It's very similar to Blade Runner, rouge humanoid robots, an organisation that hunts them down, hell, even a number of the characters have the same name as a few Blade Runner characters.

Fetzenfisch said:
Television is a medium. Anime is cartoons from Japan. And i still cant stand watching it. The aesthetics propagated in japanise popculture just repells me instantly. SO i dont care about some if it being deep and well written. i do not doubt that. I still can't watch things looking like that.I can't make people go into theatres or enjoying puppet plays. Those can be very well done too and you animu worshippers will never change my taste in looks.
You DID see the part where I showed that anime doesn't always look like what people think it normally does, didn't you? So if an anime doesn't have a "japanise popculture" aesthetic, what's the problem?

Here's two videos I made that show of plenty of anime that doesn't have the usual "japanise popculture" aesthetic:
<youtube=2yJGAQ17abg>
<youtube=sK8D79U6gnk>

Coldster said:
This is quite a remarkable article. I like it, dispite not liking the majority of anime (I only really like Dragonball and Dragonball Z but I used to watch Inyuasha and Naruto but then I found them boring as I got older...). This also reminds me of another epic thread about anime, which I enjoyed as well: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.253074-What-is-so-great-about-Anime

I'm glad that people can enjoy it, even if it will never be in my interests. We all have different tastes, and we should be able to respect that. Gee, MLP sure taught me a lot...
Well, there's your problem! You've only watched shounen action series! Now that you're older, you're going to want something different! What are you into? There's pretty much an anime for everyone :p

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
Holy fuck this is a long post =|
*starts reading*

So far I am liking your post. Very good formatting. I'll read this part about "haters" even though I adore anime, mostly because I believe reading an OP's entire post is important, but also because I wanna see your arguments :D
Ah! I've seen La Maison en Petits Cubes! It is so incredibly good, one of my favorite silent animations. PSG is probably the weirdest and silliest anime I have ever seen. I've never seen an anime be as un-serious as PSG. I still need to get around to watching the rest of K-ON! one of these days... Bakemonogatari kind of looks like... Fuck, what was it called... Ga-Rei-Zero! I haven't seen Bakemonogatari (I don't even know what it is about, lol) but that one pic looks like it would fit right in with Ga-Rei-Zero.
Ugh. I wouldn't consider Naruto a good example of what anime is. I'd consider it a good example of what sheeple like to watch...
Yeah, I know full well that "otaku" in Japan gets more disdain than "fag" or "nerd" gets in North America. My only problem with people who brand themselves as an otaku, is similar to my problem with most people who brand themselves as any kind of fan. Liking something is fine and dandy, but when every second sentence is about how much you like X and how I should like X as well, then it becomes a problem (enough off-topic-ness about otakus >.>)

Interesting read. I'd like to think of myself as "not your typical anime fan" because of my wide taste in anime, but even I generalize at times.
Remember kids! Making generalizations is bad 100% of the time! :p

Now I am curious if I can list an anime that I have watched that you have not. I won't ask you to list them all because that would take a very long time, lol. If you accept my challenge, just say so :D

FireAza

Aug 16, 2011
That was a very interesting post, I liked how it was done "on-the-fly" as you were reading it :p

Bakemonogatari looks like Ga-Rei-Zero? I haven't seen that one, but from the looks of things, it doesn't have the "unusual artwork" thing going like Bakemonogatari does.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of Naruto either, but when it comes to what the "average" fan thinks is "anime", out of the top-rated list I mentioned, Naruto would be the first.

Ha ha, I have a wide-ranging taste in anime too! To quote an old meme:

General Twinkletoes

Suppository of Wisdom
Jan 24, 2011
I have friends on each side of the argument, thinking that making something anime makes in inherintly worse/better. They all treat it as a genre, and it pisses me off :mad:.