Evolution

Canid117

Oct 6, 2009
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolution
Either pay attention in Science class or read this. Those are your two best options.

Ben Hussong

Mar 24, 2011
Nieroshai said:
BioHazardMan said:
Uszi said:
BioHazardMan said:
There is so much evidence for evolution that denying it is like denying the holocaust, most people just automatically deny it in the face of huge evidence because it would bring their faith to shambles.
There are actually more historians who deny the holocaust then their are biologists who deny evolution. Fun fact.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Level_of_support_for_evolution
Well there we go :D
Then why is it that when for the sake of knowledge I ask questions like the one right below your last post, I often get yelled at for questioning the most stable scientific law ever discovered? The fact remains that anyone who questions evolution for any reason is given no chance to speak outside friends' circles and religious groups because we never even GET to the part where we counter the theory or propose amendmments. Like how the UN climate research department brags about every single member believing in global warming, when in fact they silently can everyone who disbelieves. I'm just saying, it would be fine if opponents got the chance to speak, but thaat will never happen unless in the name of the scientific method the theory be allowed to be questioned without a witch hunt.
They are allowed to speak hell in the US these people run for government office. It's just the scientific community has gotten so tired of dealing with the same arguments day after day after day, that they react violently when people bring up an argument they've heard hundreds of times and disproven. And no matter what, most times the opponents won't listen, so it's pointless hence a less than charitable reaction to opponents of evolution.

BioHazardMan

Sep 22, 2009
Nieroshai said:
BioHazardMan said:
Uszi said:
BioHazardMan said:
There is so much evidence for evolution that denying it is like denying the holocaust, most people just automatically deny it in the face of huge evidence because it would bring their faith to shambles.
There are actually more historians who deny the holocaust then their are biologists who deny evolution. Fun fact.

Then why is it that when for the sake of knowledge I ask questions like the one right below your last post, I often get yelled at for questioning the most stable scientific law ever discovered? The fact remains that anyone who questions evolution for any reason is given no chance to speak outside friends' circles and religious groups because we never even GET to the part where we counter the theory or propose amendmments. Like how the UN climate research department brags about every single member believing in global warming, when in fact they silently can everyone who disbelieves. I'm just saying, it would be fine if opponents got the chance to speak, but thaat will never happen unless in the name of the scientific method the theory be allowed to be questioned without a witch hunt.
It's not that you don't have a voice, but people like you take teaching both sides to an extreme. If we have to teach both Evolution AND Creationism, then we will also have to teach "Did the Holocaust actually happen?" or "World War 2, the non-existent hoax of the 20th century"

You do have a voice, but it's irrational, so stop trying to put your "theories" into a scientific classroom.

Though I have to agree with you to a certain point, it's important to remain skeptical, which I think you should re-examine yourself.

Ben Hussong

Mar 24, 2011
Mimsofthedawg said:
randomsix said:
omega 616 said:
If animals eat the weakest or an abnormal baby did these evolutions occur? Surely the mother would have seen the mutation and eaten it.

If I made a new animal, which had no defence or offense, then plonked it down in the animals version of hells kitchen (Aus) how would it evolve and adapt to the enviroment? If it gets eaten then it can't send a message to it's kids saying "evolve a way to stop being eaten. It sucks!", so how does it over many generations evolve the ability or a way to stop it'self being food?
If the first paragraph above were true, then there would be no evolution. To my knowledge it is not.

That isn't how evolution works. You take an existing animal and nature keeps killing off the members of its species that are the worst at surviving. The result is that ones with traits which are better suited to the environment live and give those traits to their children.

I'm not sure where you got this idea of evolution, but it isn't good. If my explanation isn't good enough, I suggest you find some entry level text and read that.
I just don't buy it... look at the complexities of a human heart and explain to me how natural selection and random genetic mutations created such a perfect organ. Chiefly, explain to me how come "evolution" chose such a complex mechanism when a whole host of other systems could work. Every loop, crevis, nook, cranny, detail (both large and small) has a unique purpose in the heart. Not to mention over a single individuals life the heart "evolves". The heart of a fetus is RADICALLY different from the heart of an adult... How does that spring up from natural selection? I sincerely makes about as much sense to me as my creamy mashed potatoes spontaneously covering themselves with butter, gravy, pepper, and salt... and then giving me the steak and broccoli too.

It's not necessarily that I believe in anything else, I just don't understand how this could happen.

I guess life's a miracle... but aren't miracles from God? hmmm...............
Okay there are SO many explanations for this i almost didn't bother posting this since you broadcaster either " troll" or " didn't bother to see if my argument was valid" Seriously google "The evolution of the human eye" or watch the video series " why people laugh at creationists" as i recall it explains this sort of thing pretty well.

Merkavar

Aug 21, 2010
omega 616 said:
I was just thinking about this topic and was wondering how does it work?
well its a slow process with minor changes each generation.

omega 616 said:
Why when all creatures great and small, crawling out of the primordial ooze, did some animals evolve to be herbivores/carnivores/omnivores?
this is just a guess here but i would think in the very begining things would basicallyy be omnivores. and through evolution they diversified into herbivores and carnivores.

omega 616 said:
How did some evolve to have venom that can do all kinds of fucked up shit and others didn't?
last i heard vevom is actually expensive in evolution terms so if you can live with out it its better to not have it.

omega 616 said:
How can a bird eating tarantula have the ability to throw it's hairs off it's body to defend itself but a deers only form of defence is it has eyes on the side of it's head and can run pretty quick?
my guess would be that having a deer shed its hair wouldnt be useful. and running fast is enough for it to survive.

omega 616 said:
If animals eat the weakest or an abnormal baby did these evolutions occur? Surely the mother would have seen the mutation and eaten it.
evolution isnt about suddenly having an extra leg or horn. its little minor probably unnoticable things. so why would the mother eat a baby that is unnoticably different.

omega 616 said:
If I made a new animal, which had no defence or offense, then plonked it down in the animals version of hells kitchen (Aus) how would it evolve and adapt to the environment? If it gets eaten then it can't send a message to it's kids saying "evolve a way to stop being eaten. It sucks!", so how does it over many generations evolve the ability or a way to stop itself being food?
the fact that it got killed is what spurs evolution forward. if it survied long enough to reproduce that its basically at a good stage. animals need to live long enough to reproduce to allow evolution. so the only animals that survive are the ones that are best suited to survival. so it can pass on it better suited genes. and after generations the population might have a different coloured fur in respose to a new enviroment.

anyway what i said might not be so coherent im watching scrubs.

Ben Hussong

Mar 24, 2011
Mimsofthedawg said:
Ben Hussong said:
Mimsofthedawg said:
randomsix said:
omega 616 said:

If I made a new animal, which had no defence or offense, then plonked it down in the animals version of hells kitchen (Aus) how would it evolve and adapt to the enviroment? If it gets eaten then it can't send a message to it's kids saying "evolve a way to stop being eaten. It sucks!", so how does it over many generations evolve the ability or a way to stop it'self being food?
If the first paragraph above were true, then there would be no evolution. To my knowledge it is not.

That isn't how evolution works. You take an existing animal and nature keeps killing off the members of its species that are the worst at surviving. The result is that ones with traits which are better suited to the environment live and give those traits to their children.

I'm not sure where you got this idea of evolution, but it isn't good. If my explanation isn't good enough, I suggest you find some entry level text and read that.
I just don't buy it... look at the complexities of a human heart and explain to me how natural selection and random genetic mutations created such a perfect organ. Chiefly, explain to me how come "evolution" chose such a complex mechanism when a whole host of other systems could work. Every loop, crevis, nook, cranny, detail (both large and small) has a unique purpose in the heart. Not to mention over a single individuals life the heart "evolves". The heart of a fetus is RADICALLY different from the heart of an adult... How does that spring up from natural selection? I sincerely makes about as much sense to me as my creamy mashed potatoes spontaneously covering themselves with butter, gravy, pepper, and salt... and then giving me the steak and broccoli too.

It's not necessarily that I believe in anything else, I just don't understand how this could happen.

Okay there are SO many explanations for this i almost didn't bother posting this since you broadcaster either " troll" or " didn't bother to see if my argument was valid" Seriously google "The evolution of the human eye" or watch the video series " why people laugh at creationists" as i recall it explains this sort of thing pretty well.
ok, will do, I'll get back to you in a moment.
Heck, Darwin explained it way back when he wrote origin of species

flamingjimmy

Jan 11, 2010
Jonluw said:
The key here is time and large populations. Lots of time.

Imagine if there is a race of horse-like creatures living in fields. They do not eat grass, instead they eat the leaves off trees. Now say there are other creatures living with these creatures in their fields, eating from the same trees. Neither of the two species of creatures are tall enough to reach the leaves at the top, so they all have to compete for the leaves at the bottom of the trees.

Now, just like all humans are different, all (advanced) animals are different as well. This means that - just like with humans - some of the creatures that are born will have a longer neck than the others. Reaching leaves that haven't yet been eaten by other creatures will be marginally easier for the taller animals. This means that specimens with a longer neck will have a slightly higher rate of survival, and will therefore have a higher chance of procreating successfully.
Over the course of thousands upon thousands of years, the species as a whole will obviously end up with longer necks, since a long neck is an inheritable trait.

And then you have giraffes.
Actually that's not how Giraffe's long necks evolved. You can easily see this simply by observing Giraffes, and noting that most of their food isn't really that high, they don't have to use their full length necks to eat.

Also, think about it, what about baby giraffes? They do alright don't they? Otherwise there'd be no giraffes.

No, giraffes necks evolved for fighting to impress the ladies.

yanipheonu

Jan 27, 2010
If I learned anything it's that you should never take anything as pure truth, no matter how certain it seem.

Yeah, I accept evolution as the most likely theory, but I won't pretend it's only possible truth. But all we ever had was belief in theories, so it's what I gotta go off of XD

Ben Hussong

Mar 24, 2011
Mimsofthedawg said:
Ben Hussong said:
Mimsofthedawg said:
Ben Hussong said:
Mimsofthedawg said:
randomsix said:
omega 616 said:

ok, will do, I'll get back to you in a moment.
Heck, Darwin explained it way back when he wrote origin of species
ok, so I watched the video, and the basic problem that I have with it is that it's a narrow minded view of how the biology of a developing animal works. To put it simply, you can't just have a single layer of cells that suddenly develops into an eye simply because it gets more "concave" or lens grow over it or whatever. each part of those things are created from entirely different segments of a developing fetus. The human eye, for example, is composed of several different materials, ranging from muscles to nerves to dense connective tissue. There are also distinct differences in eye structure from a "primitive group of light sensitive cells" as compared to a complex eye. For example, how is it that a nervous system developed with all its intricacies that it would be able to connect to the brain to process the information? And don't get me started on hormones, which in a developing animal turn "on" or "off" a variety of different genes. Oh and there's the different layers of cells in a fetus. and and and... There's just too much for something to spontaneously be created like that. it's not like we're talking about "the dampening of the light sensitive patch, creating an area better suited for movement". We're talking about thousands of different processes that have to change simultaneously in order to achieve a simple result. I just don't see how it could logically happen.

And I'm not a troll and I'm not an idiot. I'm actually a bio-engineer major. In order to make these accusations on the evolution of something as "simple" as an eye, you have to make a lot of assumptions... and I'm sorry if I'm skeptical that I don't think the other 999 things have to also be changed for the change in the 1000th thing to work properly.
I didn't say you were a troll I said your post felt like either a troll, or someone who hadn't looked into it to me because the " irreducible complexity" * think that's the name of what your talking about* argument has been done to death There's like 30 videos in that series pretty sure they get pretty in depth about things, also look up PZ meyers or read Origins of species.

randomsix

Apr 20, 2009
Mimsofthedawg said:
randomsix said:
omega 616 said:

I believe the fundamental misunderstanding you have is apparent in the first sentence above. It's not like the heart just happened like throwing a 6 twenty times in a row would happen. It's not about just random in the sense that all mutations are equal. If a mutation is bad, it dies off.

And a the heart as a perfect organ? Really? People's hearts break down and people have heart attacks every day. Hell my heart grew with a goddamn hole in it. If that's perfection to you I don't want to know what you would accept as adequate.

You also have to remember the kind of timescales we are talking about here. Think on the order of hundreds of millions of years. Given the proliferation of early (precambrian and cambrian) life, it's not all that far fetched to say that everything happened randomly. After all, sit a monkey down at a typewriter and its only a matter of time until it finishes Hamlet.

And about your argument; it's an argument from ignorance, which is universally recognized as invalid by philosophers. It boils down to: I, personally, don't understand how this could happen on its own, so therefor someone must be responsible.

And even the eye: Start with a patch of light sensitive cells, then add a clear protective coating, next is increased object recognition, then gradual increases in concavity as a lensing effect enhances precision, then a way to move it around with respect to the "head,"... soon enough you get a fully functioning eye through very small alterations. It's not like this is impossible. Even if all of these mutations are random it's possible because every baby born for millions and millions of years has the possibility of advancing the chain.

Choppaduel

Mar 20, 2009
Aurora Firestorm said:
Whoever recommended Dawkins to you, don't listen. Don't support Dawkins. He's an anti-religious fanatic who needs a sanity check.
I say the same thing about you. removing the anti part of course.

Mimsofthedawg said:
a LONGGGG ass time ago, I once heard a top, atheist scientist refute almost everything that Dawkins said. Twas interesting.
but I guess we'll have to take your word for it...

[hr/]

BioHazardMan said:
Nieroshai said:
BioHazardMan said:
Uszi said:
BioHazardMan said:

It's not that you don't have a voice, but people like you take teaching both sides to an extreme. If we have to teach both Evolution AND Creationism, then we will also have to teach "Did the Holocaust actually happen?" or "World War 2, the non-existent hoax of the 20th century"

You do have a voice, but it's irrational, so stop trying to put your "theories" into a scientific classroom.

Though I have to agree with you to a certain point, it's important to remain skeptical, which I think you should re-examine yourself.
wellll said sir!

Fire Daemon

Quoth the Daemon
Dec 18, 2007
Mimsofthedawg said:
And I'm not a troll and I'm not an idiot. I'm actually a bio-engineer major. In order to make these accusations on the evolution of something as "simple" as an eye, you have to make a lot of assumptions... and I'm sorry if I'm skeptical that I don't think the other 999 things have to also be changed for the change in the 1000th thing to work properly.
I think you might have to study a bit harder, chum. Evolution is not a spontaneous process and no one said it was. Life has existed for 3.5 Ga and the very gradual, very slow change of life is evidently seen in the fossil record. Every single organ and type of tissue in your body can be traced back and their gradual sophistication needed to support larger and more complex organisms can easily be studied.

Go back and read the Biology 101 textbook you would have had to buy (if you really are a bio-engineer major) and read the part on evolution again. Actually, read the whole thing again.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
Edit: Whoops I posted in the wrong tread finally.

Uh, well it takes millions of years to evolve so really whatever you plonk down might not have the survival ability to last.

blaize2010

Sep 17, 2010
it simply becomes better. the better survivor gets more females or males, and thus more children are born with the new traits that make it better, so others are born with the trait, which in turn get more females or males than those without the trait, and on and on and on. who do you think is better at getting food, a rattlesnake sized snake with no venom or one with venom? which one do you think would fend of other males most? thats the one that makes the most babies. i dont get cow though. seriously darwin, what the fuck happened there? to slow to run, to wimpy to fight unless its a bull, but mostly females, and very large. its like if the 1000 pound man was an animal

Xanadu84

Apr 9, 2008
Jonluw said:
You know, I think we're underestimating the individual differences in a species here.
It's not like the length of the horses' necks vary only by 1 mm between individuals. That would be silly. Take a look at humans: Some are nearly 4 feet tall, some are 6 feet.

I agree with you, yes. I just felt the need to point out that there are significant differences between individuals with animals as well, because I was afraid it might all seem a little too far fetched if 1 mm was to have a significant impact.
I mean, it might, but maybe not.
Well, most of these specific examples are probably wildly inaccurate. Honestly, I think that Giraffes may have not even evolved from horses, I don't remember. Cursory google search says it was probably an antelope or gazelle. I'm just trying to go to an extreme, to demonstrate how even minor differences can accumulate into huge changes over the immense amount of time that evolution works in.

In truth, evolution would factor in neck size, countless genes for neck size, the different ways a body changes to accommodate a neck size, other advantages to neck size, disadvantages to neck size, complex behavioral interaction in a herd of future giraffes based on neck size, how increasing neck size influenced specific tree varieties, in what order, over what time frame...understanding exactly how it worked is like going through every possible game of chess in the universe. You have to look at broad strategies, and make an educated guess, and keep supporting that guess until it is pretty much guaranteed to be accurate. The 1 MM difference in neck size could be the accumulation of variables akin to a chess game where a pawn is moved 1 space on its first move instead of 2 at one point in the game, leading to a completely different outcome.