EXP: ScrewAttack's Worst EVER: Sexy Chick

Dark Knifer

May 12, 2009
Apparently we're allowed to jump on people for what they find sexy now. I'll write that down.

But yeah, none of these characters really matter to anything so that's ok.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
saintdane05 said:
What you got against Rogue the Bat? I mean, she's sexy as fuck!
I have nothing against her because shes a furry. I DO how ever find it kinda awkward that shes s sexualised childrens cartoon character. It'd be like if Minnie mouse was sexualised.

Rebel_Raven

Jul 24, 2011
My most dissapointing women are:
The hollow shells out there that are there to look sexy, sell the game with their looks, and very little else.

The ones that exist to do nothing but be a love interest to the main character.

Those that contribute very little to the game aren't exactly going to be high on my list of liked women.

Basically the shallower the character, the closer they are to one trick pony, the more dissapointing they are to me.

Also the Other M's portrayal of Samus is pretty dissapointing, but only in that case. I liked her fine before that game. Hopefully she'll return to her more badass roots in future installments of Metroid if Other M didn't sink her ship.

I like characters to have some meat to them. Personality, compitence, power, beauty. Flaws can make the character better, but there's a point where the flaws will overshadow everything else.
The more they display their positive traits, the better, IMO.
The farther they get from that ideal, the less I can respect them.

Yeah, I know I'm being pretty vague, and letting you draw your own conclusions, but frankly the lists of the women that are the worst vs the ones that are some of the best are pretty long... well, more the former than the latter as far as videogames go.

Yan007

Jan 31, 2011
I think Rouge the Bat is a perfectly fine character design-wise. Her design is obviously inspired by old shows like Charlie's Angels and femme fatale tropes (see similarities to Catwoman).

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
The entire point of Mileena is that she's got horrendous massive teeth. It's not like they tried to make a sexy character and failed. I agree on Rouge, I've never liked her character design, particularly the colours, but it's like they went for a sexy character but were so handicapped by the style of the game (and I agree it isn't fit for 'sexy' characters) that it ended up just terribly tacky. Poison, yeah, I'm with the transphobia ahoy crowd. I'm pretty sure she's post-op for the purposes of the US anyway. But again, that's sort of the one twist of the character.

TheMadDoctorsCat

Apr 2, 2008
Good... heavens. I'm not even sure how to put this.

Is this whole video trolling? Is it some kind of social experiment to find out what percentage of gamers / commentators really are sexist pigs?

I mean, I've read some of the other comments and I know I'm not the only one getting a seriously bad vibe from this video, right?

First off, "sexy chick"? Number one, who SAYS that? Who uses the word "chick"? And why haven't they been forcibly sat down in front of a twelve-hour instructional video entitled "How not to be a gigantic douchebag"?

Secondly, did this HAVE to be exclusive to female characters? It's not as though there aren't enough "sexy" male characters (especially in the JRPG genre) who are pretty intolerable. This is video-gaming, guys. Unfortunately we're not anywhere close to the stage where you can make lists like "worst ever sexy female character" and not have it taken as "objectifying". There's way too much baggage there. I'm not saying that there SHOULD be, but we don't live in an ideal world here - far from it.

Thirdly, "what every guy wants in a woman"? 1) Guys are different in terms of what they find physically attractive (I find tall, unnaturally-skinny girls a huge turn-off personally) and 2) Are we supposed to be so shallow that all we ever think about is generic physical qualities that conform to some weird industry-standard idea of "attractive"? All the guys in this video come across as having the sexual sensitivity of an eight-year-old, except the last one (who was at least talking about his reactions when he WAS eight years old. Honestly though, is that supposed to be an improvement?)

Lastly, regarding the choices of characters: concerning Mileena, wasn't the whole point that she was a dark parody/copy of the "ideal" woman, Kitana? She was SUPPOSED to be horrifying, guys. The fact that the developers succeeded doesn't make her the "worst" of anything. And while I'd probably agree with some of the points about Rouge, simply going on what was said (I never played the game so can't judge it on merit), the "slutty sorority" thing... is there something here that I'm not aware of, stereotype-wise? It comes off as obnoxious. REALLY obnoxious.

I kinda get what this was going for (a list of characters who were meant to be "sexy" and failed miserably might've been very funny) but everything about it was wrong for me. Sorry.

TheMadDoctorsCat

Apr 2, 2008
MeChaNiZ3D said:
The entire point of Mileena is that she's got horrendous massive teeth. It's not like they tried to make a sexy character and failed. I agree on Rouge, I've never liked her character design, particularly the colours, but it's like they went for a sexy character but were so handicapped by the style of the game (and I agree it isn't fit for 'sexy' characters) that it ended up just terribly tacky. Poison, yeah, I'm with the transphobia ahoy crowd. I'm pretty sure she's post-op for the purposes of the US anyway. But again, that's sort of the one twist of the character.
Regarding Mileena: EXACTLY.

I will say, though, that the guy talking about Poison specifically said it was his reaction as a child. Doesn't mean the same is true today.

EDIT: I googled "chick" and one of the first results was an AKON song called "Sexy Chick". I wasn't familiar with it before this (I'd heard it once or twice I think, but hadn't listened to it in any detail. Unfortunately that's no longer the case.) It's really, really, really bad; but as it relates to my point, let's just say that my idea of the kind of person who uses the term "chick" being a patronising misogynist douchebag hasn't exactly taken a knock here.

Alfador_VII

Nov 2, 2009
This video is so bad, especially the last part, that it makes Lisa Foiles' worst cosplay Top 5 seem good in comparison.

I think I need a shower

Geo Da Sponge

May 14, 2008
Helmholtz Watson said:
Oh for goodness sake...

Yes, that's right. Because I wanted to explain why something left me more creeped out than amused, I must want to eradicate all other view points ever. Everyone must agree with me! Anyone who doesn't is a horrible bastard and must be put to the torch!

There, does it help if I try and villainise myself while you do it as well?

Do you see what you're doing? The moment I try to express why something makes me feel uncomfortable, you immediately leap on it as a chance to tell me how I hate the idea of someone else having a different viewpoint to me, as if I expect everyone to find all transgendered people incredibly attractive just so that I can feel better. You find it impossible to believe that someone might disagree with you without them being a crazy liberal extremist who wants to annhilate all other opinions.

No, I don't think that opinions expressed on this website are likely to cause murder. If I really thought that, do you think that I'd just be sitting here, typing up comments about it? Neither am I saying that talking that way about a fictional transexual is as bad as talking that way about a real person, because trust me, if they were talking about a real transexual I'd be way more pissed off.

I'm not mentioning very serious hate crimes because I think that them expressing their opinions is as bad as said crimes, or likely to lead to further hate crime; I'm mentioning them because that's what I end up thinking about when someone starts going on about how disgusting they think transexuals are. That's why I don't find the video funny, because the awkward discomfort outweighs the humour by a huge margin.

At the end of the day, I just wanted to say why I didn't like the video. Not in a "You disgusting filth! You have no place in civilised society!" way, but in a "Dude, not cool. Just... Not okay." way. But hey, fuck me expressing my opinions, right? Because they clash with someone elses, I must want to eradicate all other points of view so everyone will acknowledge me as their one true God and saviour.

ShadowHand25

Jul 12, 2010
canadamus_prime said:
ShadowHand25 said:
canadamus_prime said:
I gotta agree with Rouge the Bat. Why do we need a character like that in a game series that's supposed to be family friendly?
Are you familiar with Animaniacs' "Hello, Nurse!" and Minerva Mink?
Disney's Ariel, pre-legs?
Betty fuckin' Boop?

My point is cartoon chicks in kid's shows have been sexualized for years, why should it be any different in video games?
It's not about sexualization, it's the fact that she acts like a prostitute.
"...acts like a prostitute."

I don't know about you, but I've played Sonic Adventure 2, she's comes across as a materialist who uses her femininity to get what she wants.

As for her personality in terms of sexuality, is more "You can look, but you can't have it," not "you can have it for the right price."

drisky

Mar 16, 2009
Yeah, I have to say the Poison bit made me feel real uncomfortable. Any time someone refers to something real people have as "The most disgusting thing on the planet" will do that to you. Perhaps it could have been better if more careful wording had been applied, but this whole topic was just asking for trouble.

Blaster395

Dec 13, 2009
I am furious that the Escapist would even put this video on the site with that kind of hateful transphobic shit in it.
What the Fuck Escapist... What the Fuck.

We should probably be demanding this video to be taken down.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
I honestly dont know why people are so suprised that some people dont react very well to knowing that someone they thought was hot is a transgender.

Transgenders and people that are well aware that they are normal people like anyone else by socializing with them and reading stuff about that subject (a lot of users of in here already went through that with the amount of created topics related to it) already had quite some time to think about the subject of what is to be a transgender, or even gay while we are at it. Some people barely ever thought about that stuff, like it never actually crossed their minds, sure they knows that they exist but for all you know its just a concept of a person for them. Thats why their usual idea of a transgender is "a chick with a dick" or "a dude that is now a chick".

Logicly when they are actually in a situation dealing with transgenders it will probably confuse them a bit and since sexuality is such a delicate matter that bit will be multiplied by ten.

All I'm trying to say is that sexuality is a thing that takes time to understand (no matter how old you are) and when you are faced with something that challenges your previously defined sexuality it takes time (and effort, you can just ignore it) to understand how you feel about it (not just if you like or not but also if you understand why that person is how he/she is), I think its safe to assume that at first you dont really know what to think of the situation.

DocMcCray

Oct 14, 2010
Geo Da Sponge said:
Do you see what you're doing? The moment I try to express why something makes me feel uncomfortable, you immediately leap on it as a chance to tell me how I hate the idea of someone else having a different viewpoint to me, as if I expect everyone to find all transgendered people incredibly attractive just so that I can feel better. You find it impossible to believe that someone might disagree with you without them being a crazy liberal extremist who wants to annhilate all other opinions.
The irony is that you did the *exact* same thing.

You weren't expressing an opinion. You were saying how a person was wrong for having a certain opinion...only you phrased as if it were an opinion.

DocMcCray

Oct 14, 2010
Blaster395 said:
I am furious that the Escapist would even put this video on the site with that kind of hateful transphobic shit in it.
What the Fuck Escapist... What the Fuck.

We should probably be demanding this video to be taken down.
A person doesn't like one character and now he's a "hateful transphobic?" You are *way* too over-reactionary, my friend.

And if you don't like that type of video, DON'T WATCH IT! Stop trying to go so censorship crazy.

Diddy_Mao

Jan 14, 2009
I'm always a fan of the femme fatale/temptress archetype and I was kinda hoping for a look at some of the more ham handed attempts to use them in games.

What I got was "LOL Butterface and Trannies!"

Also Rouge...who I agree is a terribly designed character in concept and presentation.

DocMcCray

Oct 14, 2010
Okay...time to educate some people about Screwattack. If that doesn't work, time to go medieval.

Screwattack is not politically correct. Just as life is not politically correct. Often times, the staff will bring up subjects that exist in the world, both real life and gaming life. A lot of people may feel uncomfortable about this. There is nothing wrong with that.

However, if it looks like it is going to be offensive, don't click the link. It is that simple. This situation is very similar to the brony/anti-brony posts. If the word "Pony" is in the title of a post and you are an anti-brony, then understand the post will be filled with posts about ponies. Don't go in there saying "OMGZ! U R GAY! GET OFF TEH INTERNETZ!!!1!" You had warning, you entered anyway, you were offended, and it is your fault you were offended.

If you do not enjoy what Screwattack offers, do not click their links. It is that simple. If no one clicks, they will be removed. That is the power and right that you have.

You do not have the right to:
1) Say they are not allowed to post something (that is the editor/webmaster's right exclusively.)
2) Say that they should not have opinion A or B.
3) Say that they are hateful and spiteful by being hateful and spiteful yourself. (IE "You hateful f***s! You need to die in a fire!)

I have noticed that this website community as a whole has a more British (prim and proper) sensibility to it. I thoroughly enjoy that because (most times) I have good discussions/debates and respectful corrections to my posts than any other website I have visited.

Point of information: Screwattack is located in Dallas, Texas. A lot of their viewpoints and content is based on the sensibility of Dallas, Texas. Last I checked, Texas and Britain were very different from each other. Keep that in mind.

Blaster395

Dec 13, 2009
The title of the video gives no indication in any way that its going to include what amounts to trans* slurs and insults. If the post topic was "Most unsettling sex/gender reveals" then perhaps I wouldn't be complaining.

It wasn't disliking a fictional character, it was the transphobic slurs. "Trap", or "I was so uncomfortable of thinking she was a female the entire time and now she has a wiener" and "She may be the most disgusting thing in the world".

I consider all forms of discrimination to be equally bad. This means I consider transphobia to be equivalent in severity to racism. Most people do not hold this position. Think about the difference in how most people respond to someone using homophobic slurs as a generic insult vs how they would react to using racist slurs as a generic insult. I don't have this cognitive dissonance, I consider such things to be equally bad.

Think of the category of discrimination you find to be most offensive, and what you feel about that form of discrimination and your attitude towards those that promote or perform it. Then consider that I feel that way about all categories of discrimination.

This has nothing to do with censorship, its about not being an asshole.

And I never said I wanted the person to die in a fire either.

Dr. Crawver

Doesn't know why he has premium
Nov 20, 2009
Geo Da Sponge said:
Helmholtz Watson said:
Oh for goodness sake...

Yes, that's right. Because I wanted to explain why something left me more creeped out than amused, I must want to eradicate all other view points ever. Everyone must agree with me! Anyone who doesn't is a horrible bastard and must be put to the torch!

There, does it help if I try and villainise myself while you do it as well?

No, I don't think that opinions expressed on this website are likely to cause murder. If I really thought that, do you think that I'd just be sitting here, typing up comments about it? Neither am I saying that talking that way about a fictional transexual is as bad as talking that way about a real person, because trust me, if they were talking about a real transexual I'd be way more pissed off.

I'm not mentioning very serious hate crimes because I think that them expressing their opinions is as bad as said crimes, or likely to lead to further hate crime; I'm mentioning them because that's what I end up thinking about when someone starts going on about how disgusting they think transexuals are. That's why I don't find the video funny, because the awkward discomfort outweighs the humour by a huge margin.

At the end of the day, I just wanted to say why I didn't like the video. Not in a "You disgusting filth! You have no place in civilised society!" way, but in a "Dude, not cool. Just... Not okay." way. But hey, fuck me expressing my opinions, right? Because they clash with someone elses, I must want to eradicate all other points of view so everyone will acknowledge me as their one true God and saviour.
Just wanted to say, this post right here, more funny than the entire video as a whole. After reading that persons comment, I was hoping you'd have a retort.

Bravo good sir. Keep shining on.