Explain the appeal of Harem Anime

ManutheBloodedge

Feb 7, 2016
Phasmal said:
A little bit of thin skin on display in this thread. To be honest, I wasn't even considering the Western audiences, seeing as I heard that otaku guys are where all these shows make their money from, I imagine most people in the West stream anyway, so they're not making money off of you guys. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's what I heard.
I won't deny that a certain niche of the anime industry at the time is gear toward otakus and their money similar to freeware games and whales, but that doesn't mean that every harem show automatically falls into that category. I don't watch most harem shows or moeblob anime, because a lot of them are pretty bad. But I know that there are good shows in both genres. For example, Monster Musume and K-on!, respectivly. Saying that an entire genre is geared towards and only liked by otakus is using generalization as an excuse not to think, in my opinion.

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
ManutheBloodedge said:
Phasmal said:
A little bit of thin skin on display in this thread. To be honest, I wasn't even considering the Western audiences, seeing as I heard that otaku guys are where all these shows make their money from, I imagine most people in the West stream anyway, so they're not making money off of you guys. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's what I heard.
I won't deny that a certain niche of the anime industry at the time is gear toward otakus and their money similar to freeware games and whales, but that doesn't mean that every harem show automatically falls into that category. I don't watch most harem shows or moeblob anime, because a lot of them are pretty bad. But I know that there are good shows in both genres. For example, Monster Musume and K-on!, respectivly. Saying that an entire genre is geared towards and only liked by otakus is using generalization as an excuse not to think, in my opinion.
Well, you'd be right to assume I don't spend a lot of time thinking about harem anime, because I don't.
I'd say my only exposure to them at all was hearing about how much some anime needs otaku dudes to buy their merch, oh, and the occasional thread on here arguing about who is "best girl".

I'm sure they're not all crap, but they're not my thing at all. (And I really doubt they have a mostly female following, dunno where OP got that from, but hey, stranger things have happened).

ManutheBloodedge

Feb 7, 2016
Phasmal said:
Well, you'd be right to assume I don't spend a lot of time thinking about harem anime, because I don't.
I'd say my only exposure to them at all was hearing about how much some anime needs otaku dudes to buy their merch, oh, and the occasional thread on here arguing about who is "best girl".

I'm sure they're not all crap, but they're not my thing at all. (And I really doubt they have a mostly female following, dunno where OP got that from, but hey, stranger things have happened).
...Then why even post on this thread? So you come in, state your (according to you) uninformed opinion, and if someone corrects you they are "thin skinned", and weird for thinking just a litte about the topic of the threat? 'Aight. Shine on you crazy diamond.

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
ManutheBloodedge said:
...Then why even post on this thread? So you come in, state your (according to you) uninformed opinion, and if someone corrects you they are "thin skinned", and weird for thinking just a litte about the topic of the threat? 'Aight. Shine on you crazy diamond.
I'm sorry, I didn't know I needed to take a course on harem anime before I'm allowed to give my opinion.
I said people are being thin-skinned because while it seemed obvious to me that people in the thread were talking about otakus, a lot of people seemed to be taking it personally.

I also didn't call anyone weird for thinking. I think you may be projecting a little.
People get fucking weird about anime, I swear.

EDIT: As much as I'd love to argue anime all day, I have to go to work, so I'll leave it there. But there are plenty of others who aren't keen on it in this thread, try one of them.

ManutheBloodedge

Feb 7, 2016
Phasmal said:
I'm sorry, I didn't know I needed to take a course on harem anime before I'm allowed to give my opinion.
I said people are being thin-skinned because while it seemed obvious to me that people in the thread were talking about otakus, a lot of people seemed to be taking it personally.

I also didn't call anyone weird for thinking. I think you may be projecting a little.
People get fucking weird about anime, I swear.
This isn't about anime, more about commenting. Of course you are allowed to give your opinion. It just isn't very helpful. "I don't now much about it and I don't like it" is a perfectly valid opinion to hold, it just isn't of any use in a thread specifically asking for what people like about something. I don't forbid you from speaking, I just said you could have very well said nothing for all the impact it had.

I read your comment like you were annoyed for being argumented against, but I guess that was my reading of the text and not your intent. I apologize for that.

And of course you didn't call anybody weird, but intentionally or not, you stronlgy implied it. By stating that you cleary don't think about the topic and basically call me out for calling you out on not thinking, you operate under the assumption that not thinking about the topic is the status quo, the normal thing to do and anybody who derives from that is logically "weird".
...Altough typing that out that might just be me again.

ManutheBloodedge

Feb 7, 2016
Guilion said:
Windknight said:
Guilion said:
Well, I was going to write an opinion as someone that has enjoyed a couple for non-fanservice reasons but this thread is a mine field. Whatever, I'm gonna go back to work like the shut-in virgin with unfulfilled power fantasies that I am.
Hey, that's exactly what the people making these shows think of their audience, and their A-OK with targeting and exploiting that audience for all the body pillows and waifu figurines they can sell them at a ridiculous markup.
Well, I don't have a waifu, nor figurines, nor body pillows so you're just working off based on stereotypes here. Just like everybody else on this thread really.
But... but I thought we waz cool!? *sob*

WindKnight

Quiet, Odd Sort.
Legacy
Jul 8, 2009
Cephiro
Country
United Kingdom
Guilion said:
Windknight said:
Guilion said:
Well, I was going to write an opinion as someone that has enjoyed a couple for non-fanservice reasons but this thread is a mine field. Whatever, I'm gonna go back to work like the shut-in virgin with unfulfilled power fantasies that I am.
Hey, that's exactly what the people making these shows think of their audience, and their A-OK with targeting and exploiting that audience for all the body pillows and waifu figurines they can sell them at a ridiculous markup.
Well, I don't have a waifu, nor figurines, nor body pillows so you're just working off based on stereotypes here. Just like everybody else on this thread really.
Do you live in Japan? Do you spend crazy money on merchandise?

No?

You're not the audience. You're at best an afterthought the creators may spend the barest amount of effort to acknowledge.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Sounds like some terribly unsubtle self-insert fantasy written by people who harbour some deep loneliness who, by appeasing it with a creative outlet, managed to find an audience of like-minded people perhaps without the means to create for themselves. I'm sure there's more nuance to it than that, perhaps, but it's the first I've known of this genre and it doesn't look creatively fulfilling to say the least.

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
The goal in harem anime is to satisfy viewers of all niches. It isn't about the fantasy of being a single guy who is loved by many women. Not at all. To even presume so is to be ignorant, so let us put that aside for good.

No, see, the fans of harem anime always pick one favorite character and act loyally to her. The charm is that, while in other series there may be just a couple of different viable picks, which unavoidably won't fit everyone's niche tastes, in a harem anime there's enough to choose from that no matter your niche you will find a favorite char to cheer for and be happy to spend time with.

Out of all of them, the best one I've seen is To Love Ru. They have gone nuts with the various types of characters but they also are retaining a memorable nature in them all, even the ones with a smaller part in the story like the Ojousama who has the hots for the space knight protecting Lala is distinct enough that whenever she shows up you are happy to see her be back.

Oh and the no sex thing is only for stuff that gets made into anime or manga, usually pc visual novels and light novel books are not so withdrawn about it. It isn't just hentai or not hentai, there's just eroge as well which is basically like a normal show but with a sex scene here and there like in a live action hollywood film.

Phasmal said:
Harem anime are not a gendered thing. There's shows like Ouran Host Club or Free which entail a single protagonist girl and a bunch of guys forming the harem. Also VNs like Hakuoki and other stuff, titled "otomege" (games for maidens), exist as a whole entire genre where females have a harem of dudes to pick from and have fantasies.

To jump to the conclusion that only lonely dudes like this stuff is kinda telling of a lot of biases.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Dreiko said:
The goal in harem anime is to satisfy viewers of all niches. It isn't about the fantasy of being a single guy who is loved by many women. Not at all. To even presume so is to be ignorant, so let us put that aside for good.
Oh good, glad to know you speak for every single person who watches the genre, given your "not at all" comment. "to even presume so is to be ignorant" , seriously? Wow, that level of arrogance is almost delightful to read.

As to what else you said, I already stated that I get it if the character doesn't have a specified love interest, but when there is one, for example Asuna from SOA like I gave in my original example, the fact that the others also find him attractive, is literally pointless. They aren't being pursued, and they aren't pursuing, they just sit there.

If the show doesn't have the protag interested in any one of them, and they all equally vie for his affection without any of them ever actually getting anywhere, then yeah, I get the "it's providing a slice of waifu for everyone".

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
Dreiko said:
Phasmal said:
Harem anime are not a gendered thing. There's shows like Ouran Host Club or Free which entail a single protagonist girl and a bunch of guys forming the harem. Also VNs like Hakuoki and other stuff, titled "otomege" (games for maidens), exist as a whole entire genre where females have a harem of dudes to pick from and have fantasies.

To jump to the conclusion that only lonely dudes like this stuff is kinda telling of a lot of biases.
Bruh, I'm aware that reverse-harem anime exists, but considering they're mostly called reverse harem and we're talking about harem, I'm not jumping to conclusions by saying I'd be surprised if the dude-focused stuff had a big female following.
(Also, Free! as a reverse-harem? Like... maybe? But the female character isn't the protagonist and the dudes aren't all falling over themselves for her, it's mostly just a fanservice anime).

EDIT: Also I'm starting to feel I can't express any opinion without being Teh Bias.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Happyninja42 said:
Dreiko said:
Oh good, glad to know you speak for every single person who watches the genre, given your "not at all" comment. "to even presume so is to be ignorant" , seriously? Wow, that level of arrogance is almost delightful to read.
Oh so HE'S the one you call arrogant for assuming what people think not the dozen other people that just came in and said "They're just a bunch of shut in virgins" and left. No no no, the people that actually developed some kind of argument and pulled examples are the arrogant ones.

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
Phasmal said:
Dreiko said:
Phasmal said:

Bruh, I'm aware that reverse-harem anime exists, but considering they're mostly called reverse harem and we're talking about harem, I'm not jumping to conclusions by saying I'd be surprised if the dude-focused stuff had a big female following.
(Also, Free! as a reverse-harem? Like... maybe? But the female character isn't the protagonist and the dudes aren't all falling over themselves for her, it's mostly just a fanservice anime).

EDIT: Also I'm starting to feel I can't express any opinion without being Teh Bias.
Harem is harem, reverse harem is a presumptuous naming that isn't really fitting, since harem shows exist for both genders. Making one default is insulting to the other. You wouldn't call it a reverse romantic comedy if the protagonist is male and aimed mostly at men, even if most romantic comedies star women. I am actually defending the people who are likely to enjoy harem anime and don't fit the stereotypical definition rather than trying to avoid myself being painted by the stereotype, as I really don't care about what people who act based on what stereotypes tell them and don't think for themselves do.

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
Dreiko said:
Harem is harem, reverse harem is a presumptuous naming that isn't really fitting, since harem shows exist for both genders. Making one default is insulting to the other. You wouldn't call it a reverse romantic comedy if the protagonist is male and aimed mostly at men, even if most romantic comedies star women. I am actually defending the people who are likely to enjoy harem anime and don't fit the stereotypical definition rather than trying to avoid myself being painted by the stereotype, as I really don't care about what people who act based on what stereotypes tell them and don't think for themselves do.
Fair enough.
I'm not sure anybody needs defending though. I'm not trying to say all people who like that kind of thing are one thing or another.
People sure do take their anime seriously.
Even if I (or someone else) thinks that it makes you automatically a lonely dude to like these things (I don't think that), at the end of the day it would just be an opinion. Not a very nice one, but still.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Xsjadoblayde said:
Sounds like some terribly unsubtle self-insert fantasy written by people who harbour some deep loneliness who, by appeasing it with a creative outlet, managed to find an audience of like-minded people perhaps without the means to create for themselves. I'm sure there's more nuance to it than that, perhaps, but it's the first I've known of this genre and it doesn't look creatively fulfilling to say the least.
Like much of what's going on in genre anime, the early examples tend to have a lot of the good story and characterization, while most modern examples tend to flanderize the genre.

About the only one I've seen with a remotely unique premise was Ai Yori Aoshi, where the protagonist guy and one of the gals are already engaged/married, and have to hide that fact for reasons while the harem stuff plays out. As far as I'm aware, there's no question about choosing one of the other ladies or what not.

balladbird

Master of Lancer
Legacy
Jan 25, 2012
Country
United States
Wrex Brogan said:
Which makes it incredibly weird how blue-balling so many of them are - 'oh, here's 18 Amazingly Hot, Super Skilled, Slavishly Loyal Women who are all the Ultimate Submissives, BUT NO SEX, NO SEX FOR YOU, NONONO YOU HAVE SEX YOU DIE HORRIBLE, PAINFUL DEATH but also the girls communicate by rubbing their breasts on your head and having random orgasms BUT YOU CANNOT TOUCH YOUR PEE PEE OR YOU WILL EXPLODE WITH DEATH'.

Like, surely the virgin shut-in otakus would want to see someone like them get all sorts of tail, yeah?
Not really, actually stopping short of the sex may be part of the genius of their design.

I was watching a youtube video that raised an interesting point regarding anime's tendency to be full of sexuality, but incredibly childish about sex.

Basically, stuff like harem and ecchi has two primary audiences: awkward teenage boys and misanthropic shut-ins. Both demographics are extremely likely to be virgins, and both know enough about sex to recognize it as something that they desire, so giving them a series that is full of sexuality and teasing is something they can relate to and enjoy.

However, a male character who actually becomes sexually active will become less relatable for them, since while they recognize sex as something to be desired and find appealing, they have no experience with actually having sex, so while closing the deal and having the harem lead get lucky is fine if they're just looking for a wank and want some hentai, with media that is meant to make them start discussing "waifus" and establish an emotional connection with them, the writers intentionally opt to stop short of the hanky panky.

With regard to the OPs belief that harem anime is primarily consumed by women... I'mma need a source on that, bruh. I've met a couple girls who enjoy harem shows in my time... like, not reverse-harems, but actual, traditional harem shows, but the majority just kinda shrug the genre off.

As to why girls would enjoy it, which seems to be the question you posed, well, I know the reasons both girls I know had for liking it. XD For one, she just found it hilarious how pathetic and assholeish the typical harem lead was, and thus found the whole notion of girls fighting over him to be comedy gold by premise alone. She liked harem anime in the way hipsters like trucker hats, basically.

The other girl, being my ex girlfriend, I talked to about these kinds of things at greater length about, so I can be a bit clearer with her: She enjoyed harem shows exclusively for the female characters. Since a harem needs multiple women to be a thing, and in order for the fans to buy it the girls need to at least fill different archetypes from each other, harems provided her with the chance to see female characters actually have a major role in a series without them being either prim-and-proper yamato maidens, or tsundere best-friends-from-childhood. She said that when harem shows got away from the male lead and developed the characters in the harem, they were some of the most interesting parts of the series.

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
balladbird said:
The other girl, being my ex girlfriend, I talked to about these kinds of things at greater length about, so I can be a bit clearer with her: She enjoyed harem shows exclusively for the female characters. Since a harem needs multiple women to be a thing, and in order for the fans to buy it the girls need to at least fill different archetypes from each other, harems provided her with the chance to see female characters actually have a major role in a series without them being either prim-and-proper yamato maidens, or tsundere best-friends-from-childhood. She said that when harem shows got away from the male lead and developed the characters in the harem, they were some of the most interesting parts of the series.

Yeah the good shows have good characters, that's basically why I like the ones I like myself. I think most people who like them are like your girlfriend and myself and few actually really go at it like a hikkikomori or whatever.