Explain to me how concealed carry protects against a mugging

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
Your average mugger is unarmed. Your average armed mugger is unfamiliar with their weapon and untested at killing people. I'm armed, trained, and I've taken human life in the past... also, I've got quite a bit of Krav Maga training.
Mind you, if someone who actually appears to be a hardened killer gets the drop on me, I'm not drawing until they turn their back.

So, to answer the posed query: concealed carry does not, by itself, protect you against mugging. Training, experience, equipment and situation are all very important.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
SimuLord said:
Concealed carry is an excellent crime deterrent, because the mugger doesn't want to get shot any more than you do, and unless he shoots you in the head or the heart, chances are very good that his prize for shooting you will be you having the several seconds required to shoot back. If you think bullets are an instant way to drop someone, either you're trying to conceal a Browning .50 caliber or you've seen too many movies and cop shows.

It's not what happens when the mugger shows up---it's the muggings that don't happen because someone's like "y'know what, maybe I won't try to rob someone who might be armed."

(of note, I live in Nevada, a concealed-carry and full Castle Doctrine state.)
ehh I doubt it, really all conceal to carry means is that chances are the mugger will have a gun also and by the time they have done something wrong it will be too late to get your gun and if they dont have one but they mug you its always possible they will end up with your gun

moretimethansense

Apr 10, 2008
bushwhacker2k said:
It isn't a 'damn lie', spaz, you are just exaggerating because you hear about it more often. The media loves making things out to be worse than they are. Have you ever even been to America? Please stop makings assumptions.
Official crime reports make shit up?
That's news to me.

There is an absurd amount of gun crime in America, there's no two ways about it, I'm not saying that England is some crime free utopia (the amount of knife crime here is beyond a joke) but I don't have to worry about some random mugger pulling a gun on me, I also don't have to worry about the police shooting me for crossing the road funny, but that's neither here nor there.

Also, Spaz?
were you insulting me there, because if you were would you kindly go fuck yourself.

Housebroken Lunatic

Sep 12, 2009
Saltyk said:
I'm for background checks and concealed carry permits. Gun safety courses should also be readily available for people to partake in, if not mandatory to purchase guns. We need a reasonable balance. Too bad extremists tend to control the argument.
Personally I'd go as far as saying that gun safety and marksmanship should be a mandatory subject in grade school.

Yes, I know some people will go batshit over it, saying that it would: "teach children to kill" and similar bullshit.

But if you live in a place with a heavy gun culture, then who would you rather have teach the kids about guns? Hollywood and videogames that glorfiy violence and weapons, or a to-the-point and no-nonsense professional?

Another question to ask oneself: what kind of individuals are usually overrepresented when it comes to violent crime where guns are involved? Your average small town "hick" teenager, who pretty much grew up with guns and was taught all about gun safety and responsible handling of weapons by their parents since they were infants, or inner-city and suburban teenagers and young adults who grew up completely sheltered from the reality of responsible handling of weapons, and only got their primary "knowledge" of guns from hollywood action flicks and criminal gangbangers?

I think we all know the answer to that question. (or at the very least: we who actually keep track of the statistics)

So if you think about it: would marksmanship and mandatory gun safety taught as a part of the school curriculum be such a bad idea? If only to impart the gravity of what real guns actually do as opposed to the fictional version presented in videogames and movies.

velcrokidneyz

Sep 28, 2010
Housebroken Lunatic said:
Saltyk said:
I'm for background checks and concealed carry permits. Gun safety courses should also be readily available for people to partake in, if not mandatory to purchase guns. We need a reasonable balance. Too bad extremists tend to control the argument.
Personally I'd go as far as saying that gun safety and marksmanship should be a mandatory subject in grade school.

Yes, I know some people will go batshit over it, saying that it would: "teach children to kill" and similar bullshit.

But if you live in a place with a heavy gun culture, then who would you rather have teach the kids about guns? Hollywood and videogames that glorfiy violence and weapons, or a to-the-point and no-nonsense professional?

Another question to ask oneself: what kind of individuals are usually overrepresented when it comes to violent crime where guns are involved? Your average small town "hick" teenager, who pretty much grew up with guns and was taught all about gun safety and responsible handling of weapons by their parents since they were infants, or inner-city and suburban teenagers and young adults who grew up completely sheltered from the reality of responsible handling of weapons, and only got their primary "knowledge" of guns from hollywood action flicks and criminal gangbangers?

I think we all know the answer to that question. (or at the very least: we who actually keep track of the statistics)

So if you think about it: would marksmanship and mandatory gun safety taught as a part of the school curriculum be such a bad idea? If only to impart the gravity of what real guns actually do as opposed to the fictional version presented in videogames and movies.
I agree, it would definitely hafta be handled delicately and would take some time, but you mkae good points. I think more often than not people get their ideas form games and movies, at the very least, as has been stated before, have mandatory gun safety and training if you are to purchase a concealed weapon, even for the permit.

little.09

Jul 21, 2009
i dont see the point of 90% of civilian gun owners having guns the other 10% would be hunters and you dont hunt with handguns or AK 47's

UltraParanoia

Oct 11, 2009
Jesus Christ. You know, I've only seen guns at the range/acquaintances houses/cops holster. Even working in the worst possible parts of Baltimore/Jersey/Philly the only thing that has ever happened to me was I get people asking for five bucks outside a gas station and some crackhead tried to break into my truck once.

I'm gonna break a hate fact out and tell you guys something amazing. You don't want to get mugged, or see a gun wielding criminal, stay out of the darker areas of the cities, that's it. I live in a rural area absolutely surrounded by guns, and the worst crimes that happen here lately are vandalism and an attempted B&E every once in a while. I can think of all of two gun related incidents, one was a cop trying to kill himself and the other was some hells angels shooting some guy 30 years ago. Most of the crime in America can pretty much be attributed to the cities(moreso the shitty inner cities), the only reason you don't hear that is because it would be racis and truthful for people to point it out.

Ironically enough, the areas that are the most unfriendly towards guns also have the worst crime rates in this country.

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
Raven said:
Anything which encourages people to carry (and justify it by using) weapons is unwise in my opinion... I think it's a case where ends just doesn't justify the means. In the UK, when people get mugged the chances are extremely small that the assailant will pull a gun on you (though I know someone it has happened to). In most cases of common mugging weapons aren't used or even shown. If people were allowed to conceal carry knives then I don't think it would remain that way. Casualties from violent crime would probably increase on both sides, assailants and victims alike.

This might just be me but I also don't believe someone deserves death for robbing or attempting a wallet. I think the average person, in that position, would be more likely to kill or seriously injure their would be attacker accidentally if they were to attempt to use a gun or knife to defend themselves. Plus having a legal opportunity to carry weapons around is just an invitation for more feral youth gangs to openly carry weapons, this is the last thing the UK needs.
The problem is, you don't know their intentions. You might give them your wallet and they turn around and immediately stab you to death. You can't know if they are going to rob you or rob you and murder you.

Rigs83

Elite Member
Feb 10, 2009
FFHAuthor said:
Concealed Carry laws operate on the principle of 'wolf in sheeps clothing'. Not everyone who can conceal carry does, but regions with easily obtained concealed carry liscences have lower rates of violent crime. Why? Because an attacker dosen't know who has a gun and who dosen't. They can't be sure that 60 year old grand mother dosen't have a .38 in her purse, and is willing to drop you if you try to mug her and her grand daughter. Assailants don't know wheither or not their target is really unarmed or not. The simple fact that even if one in a hundred people carries a gun, and is willing to use it, that complicates matters and has the effect of detering criminals.

Brawndo, I have to ask just what your state's laws are in regards to concealed carry, and wheither or not you have the Castle Doctrine in your state, and what the state laws are for use of lethal force. Those are all important in answering your question more specifically.
I heard years ago that tourists in Florida kept getting mugged and some even murdered because they drove clearly marked rent a cars so the criminals knew they would probably not be carrying weapons. It really did not stop till the rent a car companies took off the label. Research turned up this:
In the late 1980s and early 1990s, an increasing number of tourists, most of them foreign, were victims of carjackings in Florida. Because tourists in well-marked rental cars were common carjacking victims, Florida passed legislation in 1993 (F.S.A. § 320.0601) that outlawed company logos and license plates that made rental and leased cars obvious. Florida's legislators felt that tourists warranted this extra protection for three main reasons. First, tourists are, more often than not, unfamiliar with the area and are more likely to become lost or end up in a high-crime area. Second, tourists often carry more cash than natives, which makes them prime robbery targets. And finally, fewer tourists are likely to return and testify in court about a crime. By granting tourists the right to drive unmarked rental cars, Florida made them less vulnerable to the crime of carjacking.

Read more: Carjacking - Further Readings - Crime, Statute, Tourists, Victims, Persons, and Cars http://law.jrank.org/pages/5021/Carjacking.html#ixzz1AsehYMQf

Bang25

Dec 6, 2010
1. Unless your friend is a jumpy, trigger happy idiot than he's fine. If your actually getting mugged, then you have the right to defend yourself.

2. YOU have the element of surprise too. If the mugger tells you to get your wallet, than you have at least one chance to pull out your gun and shoot. (Or get behind cover and shoot.)
Would you rather get mugged and NOT have a gun so that you can't at least try to save yourself.

3. I still think that if your getting mugged by an armed gunman than you have the right to shoot your assialant. If the mugger just takes your wallet and leaves, than what lunatic would chase them down and kill them just to get their wallet back?

ElTigreSantiago

Apr 23, 2009
I'm not really sure what the point of this thread is. You think you're better off not having a way to defend yourself?

1) If a guy is mugging you, then that would definitely mean that you had a legitimate reason to pull a gun on him. Obviously you aren't going to whip it out on a hunch. And you'll find that most petty criminals aren't lawyers like that. If they see the gun, they will just get out of there. They aren't going to go to the cops.

2) If he does happen to have a gun and get the jump on you, then yes, all you can do is comply. But think of all the other possible situations.

3) Hense why you pull out the gun and stop the robbery from happening in the first place.

TechNoFear

Mar 22, 2009
bushwhacker2k said:
I don't understand why everyone singles out America so much, it isn't a dangerous violent country and if you disagree then you are either misinformed or should consider moving.
What data are you basing that on?

Because the US homicide rate is 2-5 times other 'first world' countries and the US has ~20 mass shootings a year (4+ killed).
For comparison, Australia (guns banned in 1997) has a homicide rate 4 times lower than the US and the last mass shooting in Australia was in 1996 (one in 2003 with 2 killed, 7 wounded). [murdering lots of people is not easy when armed with a bolt action .22 rifle, as opposed to a semi-auto 9mm Glock with extended mag]

homicide rates / 100,000 population in 2009

US 5.0
Canada 1.81
Australia 1.2
UK 1.28
Germany 0.86

thethingthatlurks

Feb 16, 2010
Yeah...scientific studies beg to differ: [link]http://hsx.sagepub.com/content/9/4/292.abstract[/link]
So, I guess that means you are either retarded, or your dick happens to be too minuscule to measure (you know, overcompensating for something by carrying a gun everywhere...) if you happen to belief that concealed weapons will help you avoid being mugged.

UberNoodle

Apr 6, 2010
You miss the point of any law like this - it is NOT to protect you against being mugged, it is to give authorities an avenue to arrest suspects without having to catch them redhanded in the actual act of mugging.

WITH LAW -
Suspect or possible mugger is located, searched, discovered with weapon, charged or has his weapons confiscated.

WITHOUT LAW (I) -
Suspect or possible mugger is located, not searched, not discovered with a weopon, not charged or has his weapons confiscated.

PART II A - Person is not a mugger at all and goes home and loves his family very very much.

PART II B - Person is a mugger and goes and mugs lady and its much harder to apprehend him because of the difficulty gathering evidence of that particular crime. If only the police could at least get him off the streets and in custody on a "carrying concealed weapon" offence!

Fawful

Dec 7, 2010
Something that I feel has been over looked in this tread is the fact that if your are carrying a concealed weapon it doesn't mean you NEED to use it, carrying a weapon gives you the option of defending yourself if you feel that your life is threatened. If someone does pull a gun on you first the smarter thing to do is just hand over your stuff.

To be honest, I would like to have the option of carrying a weapon even though I've never been mugged in my life and I live in a area with almost zero street crime, just to have that option if I ever do need it.

Jfswift

Hmm.. what's this button do?
Nov 2, 2009
I don't know about element of surprise. I've been followed in cities before and I really wish I had a gun during those times. The world is a dangerous place, don't be fooled, better to ere on the side of caution imho.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
demoman_chaos said:
I'd rather have it and not need it over needing it and not having it.
Give this man a /thread right here.

Anyway, if someone asked me for my money I would reach into my pocket and KA-BLAM! Lay one in their kneecap. Obviously if they were a mugger.
(Hey ____ can I have some money for the tuckshop?
NO! *Shoots)
The Night Shade said:
I think that having concealed weaponry is a good idea because most muggers don't have guns also most muggers see a chance to steal and they take it they don't plan it
LISTEN TO JOHN MCLANE GUYS XD!
[sub]No that isn't satire or sarcasm, I love Die Hard.[/sub]

Cpu46

Gloria ex machina
Sep 21, 2009

OT: Its mostly a sense of safety that you get when you know you are at least somewhat armed.
Here in Illinois a girl went missing and was found murdered, rumors were she was raped and then burnt to death, in the woods not far from campus. After that I always walked around with a tiny three inch blade and it made all the difference in confidence walking at night.

Its similar when I used to hunt, walking around in wolf and bear infested woods. Without a gun I felt like there was a bear behind every bush, even knowing that running into one was not likely at all. With one I felt more at ease even though a bear still could kill me without a problem.