EXTERMINATE..... the Royal Wedding?

franconbean

Apr 30, 2011
actually, she has to sign off laws. She could choose not to i guess.
Oh and the Army swears alleigance to the Queen. Not the Government. You could call that a formality, but there it is :p
Yeah i guess that is the extent of the Queen's power... Not much.

If anyone is saying that the UK should get rid of the Royal family and become a republic, they should take note that this was tried before. It lasted a Decade and then there was a restoration.

The system isn't broken. Lets not try to fix it.

Xcelsior

Jun 3, 2009
I really don't understand why people got so excited about it, cool they're getting married but I don't know them so I don't give a fuck.

Lyri

Dec 8, 2008
MiracleOfSound said:
Booze Zombie said:
Well, they're a good tourist draw and the Queen does actually control if we go to war, last I was informed. At the very least, having done the job for her life makes her more suited for it than most and I guess if you're going to have someone do a job like this, they might as well be competent.

I am sick of all of the media coverage for the wedding, though.
Well me, I would be pissed if I spent my taxes paying for some ancient self-entitled douchebags with no political training, background or qualifications to decide huge decisions in my country and get rich and famous for no reason other than some antiquated tradition and membership to a stupid elitist club...

[checks history of Ireland in last 10 years]

...uh, I can empathise with you guys.
Believe it or not, they bring it plenty of money and they act as heads of state for certain things.
There's alot of hate for the Royal family because people actually don't know what they do.

Spending tax payers money isn't the only side to the coin.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Patriotism is - to put it gently - for fucking idiots.

As long as they bring in more money than they cost, they're fine by me, but outside of that I don't care.

MiracleOfSound said:
Lemme get this straight... you guys in Britain pay taxes to keep these people rich, right?
See above. Because technically yes, but what they bring in through tourism is a lot more than what we pay for them. And by existing they provide jobs and whatnot.

franconbean

Apr 30, 2011
wait, doesn't the queen pay taxes??
because im sure i heard somewhere that she does
Furthermore, they are a damn sight better at being ambassadors for Britain than PMs who go around appologising to the world because apparently everything was our fault.
Edit: which alot of the time isn't true

thylasos

Aug 12, 2009
I was working as a barman at the time, watching people getting utterly wankered from 2.30 onwards, so from my personal perspective it earned me roughly £30 more than I thought I was going to get from that day, due to being called in early to accomodate the extra punters on the streets. I didn't watch it and actively tried to avoid the news coverage, though.

Which wasn't tough, as I don't own a television.