Extra Credits v Harrasment On Xbox Live

Elate

Nov 21, 2010
Chiasm said:
rolfwesselius said:
Dude i´ll be happy if these things are implemented but The next time a woman screams harrasment because because of some friendly trash talking im gonna kill something.
Friendly trash talking? Is that like friendly racism? Oh it was all just in good fun promise! I have never got the idea behind the "Oh, it's just for fun" line of thinking. Kind of like the fighting game community and the "You have to have sexism in games"
Yes.. Some people just have a stick so far up their backside that the slightest thing offends them, not because they honestly have been hurt by it, but because they CAN be offended by it. I call my friends names, they call me names, I get plenty of racism because I'm English and not American, I don't go getting all butt hurt when someone calls me a limey though. It's petty, and just serves to add fuel to the fire.

Chiasm

Aug 27, 2008
Elate said:
I call my friends names, they call me names,
Right key word here is friends, Is it really "Friendly" when some random person rants and raves and insults you over Xbox Live or even a random game? Also I am not sure why "butt hurt" was even brought up. Just because it is common doesn't mean it's "all good"

So why would better reporting and methods to control the few vocal jerks in a community be such a bad idea? For example I will not even try League of Legends or any other "DoTA" games because It has been told hammered into my brain that the community in them is awful. Imagine how many potential sales that drives away for the company.

In fact the big thing Steam talked about doing for DOTA 2 is implementing reporting and stricter moderation for the game IIRC. That says a lot if adding "moderation" is a bullet point feature for the game.

Elate

Nov 21, 2010
Chiasm said:
Because you get the easily upset people, who will report others "trolling" for just killing them to many times, hell I've seen it happen. And DoTA 2 has an amazing report system, the community is still full of assholes, don't even get started on Valves stupid ass moderation idea.. "Good players get lower prices for stuff" because that isn't open to abuse at all.

Now, while I can't speak for Xbox Live (Only game on PC) I still don't understand the complaints, there's a mute button for a reason, why get all annoyed when you can just shut them up with a button?

Meight08

*Insert Funny Title*
Feb 16, 2011
Chiasm said:
rolfwesselius said:
Dude i´ll be happy if these things are implemented but The next time a woman screams harrasment because because of some friendly trash talking im gonna kill something.
Friendly trash talking? Is that like friendly racism? Oh it was all just in good fun promise! I have never got the idea behind the "Oh, it's just for fun" line of thinking. Kind of like the fighting game community and the "You have to have sexism in games"
Friendly trash talking is the one you do when Someone hands you a slice of woopass and you say something in return it´s mostly light stuff, Saying ***** is really crossing the line.
Its mostly stuff like using stereotypes like saying to someone who is irish.
"Stop drinking and you might be able to shoot for shit!"

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
BreakfastMan said:
Scow2 said:
BreakfastMan said:
TizzytheTormentor said:
Well then, how would you deal with the problem? If people start acting immature online, I just block em and not all matches have total twats on them.
I would start handing out bans for offenders, using a "3-strikes" system. People need to get the message that this stuff is just not okay, and will not be tolerated. Those who act like a douche online will receive a strike. They continue their actions, another. When they get to 3, they are banned from X-Box live Gold forever, unable to send messages to anyone but the people on their friends list, and their account will be marked with a "Banned for misappropriate behavior" message. Might be a bit... harsh, but that is my idea.
Perma-ban is too harsh, especially with just 3 strikes. People do say stupid stuff, but 1-3 month-ban is far more reasonable depending on the offense: Problem people still stay away if they get repeatedly banned
Okay, you make a good point. I don't want to go soft on them, but I think something like this would work fairly well: 3-strikes to first ban, which lasts 3 months. After that, 2-strikes to a 6-month ban. Then, 2-strikes to a permaban.

EDIT: Then, do it like here: wait 6 months without infractions to remove a single strike. 2 years without harassment and your slate is wiped clean.

spartandude said:
You could just integrate an appeals system then. If people feel they were unfairly modded, have them be able to appeal to the mods.
Overly idealistic. Mods aren't going to check out every complaint so they would do an auto ban system which would suck because people already know how to abuse the current one that's in place, you don't want to be making that easier.

An appeal system wouldn't work because Microsoft doesn't really look into them. A lot of the moderators on their end are lazy.

Neaco

Aug 17, 2009
tippy2k2 said:
Neaco said:
tippy2k2 said:
snip
I've already responded about the clan thing and the message thing (report system, NOT auto-system and I think it works) but I suppose I haven't responded to anyone about the communication thing.

The reason why I think it's a horrible idea is the same reason people hate DRM: You're treating your players like criminals UNTIL they prove themselves otherwise. You're taking away what can be a very important part of the game because some shit-heads think that it's open mic night for their KKK meeting. If I'm a new player and need help? Tough shit because you haven't proven yourself worthy yet. Playing Left 4 Dead and need to warn your teammate about the Hunter about to claw out his spine? Tough shit, you are not yet worthy to speak.

The other two points I'm willing to bend on but I'm not willing to bend on this one. I think the system that is currently in place, IF ENFORCED, is plenty enough. It just seems like hitting that report button is throwing a request into a black hole, never to be seen again. If you MUST implement a new idea for the sake of implementing something new, I like my idea of having volunteer Mods police Xbox Live like every forum ever has implemented.
when the situation gets bad, and we build a reputation as a bunch of obscene howler monkeys, i believe internet martial law is necessary. though i like your mod idea, that would be a preferable alternative before making players "earn" communication rights.

weirdly, i've met some neo-nazi's online, and they're way more level-headed (even friendly) than a bunch of high schoolers on xbl...

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
BreakfastMan said:
Jack and Calumon said:
Calumon: Like making them eat cake until they explode!
Sorry Calumon, I really don't think that would be a good idea. It would be more like a reward than a punishment. XD

OT: Good for them, I guess. Honestly, whatever MS is doing to clean X-Box live is not working. This at least shows they are looking into alternative ways to solve the problem instead of just ignoring it, which I can get behind.
The reason why it isn't working is not MS's fault in the first place. If you recieve more than 1 harrassing message from a person that is your fault for not blocking them. If you listen to someone who you find offensive throughout a match once again your fault for not muting them. Trying to blame MS after these tools are in place is childish and lazy.

Neaco

Aug 17, 2009
squid5580 said:
The reason why it isn't working is not MS's fault in the first place. If you recieve more than 1 harrassing message from a person that is your fault for not blocking them. If you listen to someone who you find offensive throughout a match once again your fault for not muting them. Trying to blame MS after these tools are in place is childish and lazy.
a single ass-hat once per match is already too high, and at one point people just give up because they are constantly being harassed. its not their fault for not muting them, its the fault of those who screech hate online. as owners of xbox live, it is microsoft's consumer responsibility to maintain its community. so its not their fault, but it is the responsibility.

SuperBelkar

Jan 20, 2012
CrazyCapnMorgan said:
Phasmal said:
As a lady who likes to use mic but does not like getting shit for it, I can only say `Yay`.

I stopped paying for gold on Xbox live because of all the rubbish, there's no reason I can't be myself in a game. If that means using mic, dudes need to deal.

People who say its not a big deal or that the ones getting the harrassment should just deal with it are usually people who have never encountered it themselves.
I'd like to see more gamer girls. I only know a few, but some of them are good enough to hand me my fourth point of contact on a regular basis.

I think it's something along the lines of what George Carlin called "dick fear", and since women don't possess that anatomy (or the testosterone that goes with it) some guys resort to harassment like that in order to fell better about themselves, especially during bouts of competition.

All I can is - keep being yourself and don't let the mindless rabble get to ya!
Amen, good sir. for some of these jerks on these games, George Carlin's dick fear ideology is the only thing that makes sense for these creeps to act like that, and even with that they still sound like school yard deuce bags, because that's all they are.
Phasmal said:
As a lady who likes to use mic but does not like getting shit for it, I can only say `Yay`.

I stopped paying for gold on Xbox live because of all the rubbish, there's no reason I can't be myself in a game. If that means using mic, dudes need to deal.

People who say its not a big deal or that the ones getting the harrassment should just deal with it are usually people who have never encountered it themselves.
And as for this, just remember, they only talk like that because they have small penises, so if you find yourself getting crap, first feel bad for them, then laugh at their tiny rectums. Happy gaming!=]

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
Neaco said:
squid5580 said:
a single ass-hat once per match is already too high, and at one point people just give up because they are constantly being harassed. its not their fault for not muting them, its the fault of those who screech hate online. as owners of xbox live, it is microsoft's consumer responsibility to maintain its community. so its not their fault, but it is the responsibility.
First off your definition of ass hat (or offensive for that matter) probably varies. So if someone says something that offends you but entertains me who is right? Is it fair that the "ass hat" gets banned or muted indefinitely because of your sensitivities? Especially when you have the tools to not hear it without infringing on my desire to hear it.

Now if a person is constantly being harrassed by another well there is an app for that. If they are being constantly harrassed by the entire community then maybe they are the problem and don't belong. Oh I know I am blaming the victim but some people make themselves targets and ask for it. Now keep in mind bullying is far different than rape.

As far as I can see MS has taken as much responsibility as possible. They can't be asked to monitor the billions of communications made daily. Then filter through which is actual bullying and which is friends verbally jesting with each other. As owners they have the responsibility to ensure the community can thrive. And they have. They gave us the tools to police ourselves. In a community of millions that is all they can do. Not everyone is going to get along plain and simple. You will always find people you don't like and those who don't like you. And short of MS beaming mind control radiowaves through the headset so we all get along the tools provided should be adequate if used properly.

And it really saddens me that we as a community are being treated like a lot of crybabies because some people would rather look to a faceless corporation to fight their battles for them instead of using the tools that can end it before it really starts. Unless I am the last of a dying breed called ADULTS who can handle hearing 1 offensive thing or reading 1 offensive message and putting an end to what I hear or see of it.

The only thing I believe that should be implemented is some kind of filter for messages for those who are using the family setting. No parent wants little 5 yr old Timmy receiving a string of curse words in thier inbox. And in that respect little Timmy shouldn't be on the mic in the general in the first place (you know predators and all).

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
rolfwesselius said:
erttheking said:
rolfwesselius said:
I still think there is a line between harassment and the need to grow a spine which alot of woman need to learn.
And I think that there's a line between telling people when something isn't a big deal and being an insensitive jerk. Funny world ain't it?
Dude, I'm a guy and "friendly trash talk" pisses me right the hell off whenever it's not done by a very VERY close IRL friend. People doing it online make me grind my teeth, I don't want to be called a ***** by some punk I don't know while I am playing Halo, and I don't care if he's just playing. What's more I doubt that most of the women complaining were on the recieving end of teasing. And besides news flash pal, not everyone is comfortable with being called names. Didn't know I had to spell it out for you that telling someone to grow a spine when they're uncomfortable with the way that they're being treated isn't the height of being thoughtful and sensitive. Learn to respect other people's limits for the love of Christ.

Judgement101

Mar 29, 2010
Thought saying "Extra Credits" on this forum was like eating babies.

Anywho, Xbox Live can't be enforced, just too many trolls and little kids who will tell their parents to complain to Microsoft and demand their account back which was banned from "exposing themselves to people on Uno"...........ummmmm maybe gettin' to personal here...

Paradoxrifts

Jan 17, 2010
If the community is given tools to take direct punitive action against griefers then they will be most often employed by online bullies to more effectively harass their victims. The chances that in any given situation where a gamer would have to use the mute button on two or more players then any democratic method that was put in place to discourage anti-social behaviour would be used to punish the victim instead.

Getting harassed by a couple of players? Mute them. Being harassed by half a server? Move on, and no none of the methods mentioned by Extra Credits is going to help you with that situation.

Neaco

Aug 17, 2009
squid5580 said:
Neaco said:
First off your definition of ass hat (or offensive for that matter) probably varies. So if someone says something that offends you but entertains me who is right? Is it fair that the "ass hat" gets banned or muted indefinitely because of your sensitivities? Especially when you have the tools to not hear it without infringing on my desire to hear it.

Now if a person is constantly being harrassed by another well there is an app for that. If they are being constantly harrassed by the entire community then maybe they are the problem and don't belong. Oh I know I am blaming the victim but some people make themselves targets and ask for it. Now keep in mind bullying is far different than rape.

As far as I can see MS has taken as much responsibility as possible. They can't be asked to monitor the billions of communications made daily. Then filter through which is actual bullying and which is friends verbally jesting with each other. As owners they have the responsibility to ensure the community can thrive. And they have. They gave us the tools to police ourselves. In a community of millions that is all they can do. Not everyone is going to get along plain and simple. You will always find people you don't like and those who don't like you. And short of MS beaming mind control radiowaves through the headset so we all get along the tools provided should be adequate if used properly.

And it really saddens me that we as a community are being treated like a lot of crybabies because some people would rather look to a faceless corporation to fight their battles for them instead of using the tools that can end it before it really starts. Unless I am the last of a dying breed called ADULTS who can handle hearing 1 offensive thing or reading 1 offensive message and putting an end to what I hear or see of it.

The only thing I believe that should be implemented is some kind of filter for messages for those who are using the family setting. No parent wants little 5 yr old Timmy receiving a string of curse words in thier inbox. And in that respect little Timmy shouldn't be on the mic in the general in the first place (you know predators and all).
true enough, comedy varies. but just as its unfair to mute someone for my being sensitive, its unfair to be subjected to someone else's insensitivity. but i do believe there is a difference in being a dick to be entertaining, and being a dick to be offensive; usually entertaining will also poke fun at themselves (more so in fact.) opinions... but then again, majority opinion makes right in society. so if someone is auto-muted, regardless of their intent, they were deemed overly offensive and muted.

exclusion to a community isn't the answer either. saying someone doesn't belong is like saying the gaming community is meant for the opposite. some people do make themselves a target, but more often specific people are simply targeted.

disagreements happen yes, but just saying bullying and arguments is how the world works just isn't true. animosity just loosens our tongues, but policing ourselves has only led to who has more friends (we all receive those messages from strangers saying "report so and so.") its an unbalance of power. i have to go through 4 commands to block/mute/avoid/report which seems harsh, but if you want to only have to deal with their first message, you have to (and this is for 1 person, when they usually wander in packs). the tools are there, but they are inefficient.

also yes, i agree little kids shouldn't be playing the mature games where foul language is common. but foul language is common everywhere you go. anonymous hate and bullying is simply wrong, and defending them shouldn't be a priority over stopping online harassment.

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
Neaco said:
squid5580 said:
Neaco said:

true enough, comedy varies. but just as its unfair to mute someone for my being sensitive, its unfair to be subjected to someone else's insensitivity. but i do believe there is a difference in being a dick to be entertaining, and being a dick to be offensive; usually entertaining will also poke fun at themselves (more so in fact.) opinions... but then again, majority opinion makes right in society. so if someone is auto-muted, regardless of their intent, they were deemed overly offensive and muted.

exclusion to a community isn't the answer either. saying someone doesn't belong is like saying the gaming community is meant for the opposite. some people do make themselves a target, but more often specific people are simply targeted.

disagreements happen yes, but just saying bullying and arguments is how the world works just isn't true. animosity just loosens our tongues, but policing ourselves has only led to who has more friends (we all receive those messages from strangers saying "report so and so.") its an unbalance of power. i have to go through 4 commands to block/mute/avoid/report which seems harsh, but if you want to only have to deal with their first message, you have to (and this is for 1 person, when they usually wander in packs). the tools are there, but they are inefficient.

also yes, i agree little kids shouldn't be playing the mature games where foul language is common. but foul language is common everywhere you go. anonymous hate and bullying is simply wrong, and defending them shouldn't be a priority over stopping online harassment.
It isn't unfair to you since you have the power not to listen to it. You have the tools not to hear anything more than the first offensive word right now. Which is more than you have out in the real world. It only takes 2 button presses to mute someone. 2 more if they send you a message. Reporting them after you blocked/muted them is just you playing the victim card and a feeble attempt to bully them using the system designed to protect you.

The system will never be perfect but how will anything EC put on the table fix a pack trying to make someone elses experience any better? People will still be able to gang up and try to get others banned, muted ect. At least right now it takes more than a handful of people to get one person put out without actual proof. The new way that has been described would lead to people being able to do just that. The sad part is the trolls would have the upper hand in it.

Neaco

Aug 17, 2009
squid5580 said:
Neaco said:
squid5580 said:
Neaco said:
snip
snip
It isn't unfair to you since you have the power not to listen to it. You have the tools not to hear anything more than the first offensive word right now. Which is more than you have out in the real world. It only takes 2 button presses to mute someone. 2 more if they send you a message. Reporting them after you blocked/muted them is just you playing the victim card and a feeble attempt to bully them using the system designed to protect you.

The system will never be perfect but how will anything EC put on the table fix a pack trying to make someone elses experience any better? People will still be able to gang up and try to get others banned, muted ect. At least right now it takes more than a handful of people to get one person put out without actual proof. The new way that has been described would lead to people being able to do just that. The sad part is the trolls would have the upper hand in it.
you know what, we're both right. you want to be able to listen to people and pass judgement on them, and i'd rather them not have to listen to them. and its unfair to force one option over both opinions. if MS makes auto-mute an optional feature (auto-mute feature, but can be turned on/ off) we're both satisfied yeah? we don't have to argue over maybes and what ifs, we could simply let things play out and compare the communities.