Extra Punctuation: BAFTAs Are Bollocks

fulano

New member
Oct 14, 2007
1,685
0
0
mireko said:
I will probably die never understanding why people get so fucking excited for Heavy Rain, but Best Story, Best Technical Achievement and Best Original Music? What.

Just, what.
It's the game that film people understand best...guess why. It is a celebration of all they consider commendable in the interactive medium, meaning: copying their medium of choice. It would be silly were it not incredibly angering.
 

Steve the Pocket

New member
Mar 30, 2009
1,649
0
0
I wonder what kind of results we'd get if the BAFTAs were run more like the Oscars, where the way to win is to make an artsy, pretentious load that has almost no entertainment value whatsoever. So, Heavy Rain would win everything I guess.

This is more like giving automatic wins to whoever gets the highest scores on Gamespot.
 

Carnagath

New member
Apr 18, 2009
1,814
0
0
Well, everyone has a different opinion, but that doesn't make the BAFTA's bollocks. While I played Just Cause 2 with relative interest and had a bit of fun with DR2, I don't believe one can seriously nominate them for anything, and fun is a terribly subjective thing. I had more fun with Plants Vs Zombies than both of those games combined.

As for Bioshock 2, I would bet my left testicle that Yahtzee never actually finished the game. It is impossible for one who claims to appreciate a good story to have completely missed possibly the most moving and subtle story on fatherhood and loss to have ever appeared in the medium. Well, unless they quit 2 hours in because "HURR DURR it's the same game but you're a big daddy so fuck it I've got a bar to run".
 

Kermi

Elite Member
Nov 7, 2007
2,538
0
41
Super Toast said:
mireko said:
I will probably die never understanding why people get so fucking excited for Heavy Rain, but Best Story, Best Technical Achievement and Best Original Music? What.

Just, what.
To be fair, Heavy Rain's music was phenomenal. It's too bad the story was a plot-hole ridden mess full of melodrama and unimportant bullshit. Plus, LA Noire has pretty much destroyed it in the technical department, too.
And LA Noire comes out next month, which in my dimension is 15 months after Heavy Rain. It's also developed by a bigger and more experienced studio with more money behind it.
I'm excited for LA Noire but it's a bit unfair to compare Heavy Rain to it at this point.
 

BarbaricGoose

New member
May 25, 2010
796
0
0
Kermi said:
BarbaricGoose said:
Heavy Rain had plot holes? This is news to me.
I don't like to admit it, but it kinda did.

Edit: got carried away typing in the captcha and didn't finish my post before hitting enter.

There was a bunch of things that were kind of left unexplained then passed off as plot twists in the endgame... which was like 95% awesome but there were a few niggling threads of "what is this I don't even".
Did they ever explain how Madison just happened to run into Ethan? I mean she was tracking him because his son was missing, but she just happened to wind up at his hotel and commence stalking him. It was all very sweet how she gave up thinking he was the Origami Killer midway, but there was a hole there.

Not to mention Ethan's blackouts, dreams about water, and coming out of a fugue state with an origami figure in his hand. All red herrings to make us suspect Ethan, never actually explained.
I don't really remember the game well enough to debate this, but I thought the blackouts and such were explained in the scene where Ethan's talking to his therapist?
 

ImprovizoR

New member
Dec 6, 2009
1,952
0
0
Nomanslander said:
Just Cause 2, Dead Rising 2 and Amnesia: The Dark Descent didn't score a single nomination....

-Yahtzee


Poor Yahtzee, finally realizing maybe his tastes aren't as refined as he thinks it is...=*(
Just Cause 2 and Amnesia: The Dark Descent are true gaming gems. JC2 is the best free roaming action game ever created by mortal creatures, and Amnesia is the most frightening horror experience in gaming. I don't care for zombie games so I didn't play Dead Rising 2 and I can't comment on it.
 

starwarsgeek

New member
Nov 30, 2009
982
0
0
Yahtzee Croshaw said:
it's the nom for Mario Galaxy 2 for any kind of "innovation" award that I find completely incomprehensible.
Probably for the new tricks for level design (levels disappearing beneath your feet, walls of purply cliff-making stuff limiting how much of a scrolling platform you can actually interact with, a FOLDING swamp). Guess you have to really be into platformers to notice these kinds of things, but the level design mechanics are a big reason why I love the game. Hope it turns out to be as influential as 64

By the way, for anyone wondering it actually did start development as an expansion pack, but it got to big to justify calling it one and was upgraded to a full sequel.
 

Kermi

Elite Member
Nov 7, 2007
2,538
0
41
BarbaricGoose said:
Kermi said:
BarbaricGoose said:
Heavy Rain had plot holes? This is news to me.
I don't like to admit it, but it kinda did.

Edit: got carried away typing in the captcha and didn't finish my post before hitting enter.

There was a bunch of things that were kind of left unexplained then passed off as plot twists in the endgame... which was like 95% awesome but there were a few niggling threads of "what is this I don't even".
Did they ever explain how Madison just happened to run into Ethan? I mean she was tracking him because his son was missing, but she just happened to wind up at his hotel and commence stalking him. It was all very sweet how she gave up thinking he was the Origami Killer midway, but there was a hole there.

Not to mention Ethan's blackouts, dreams about water, and coming out of a fugue state with an origami figure in his hand. All red herrings to make us suspect Ethan, never actually explained.
I don't really remember the game well enough to debate this, but I thought the blackouts and such were explained in the scene where Ethan's talking to his therapist?
The fact that he's having blackouts is explained as being linked to the death of his first son. Why the dreams about water? Why the origami figure? Those are awfully specific and ultimately never really explained.

Think of it this way: in the movie version of Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, they add in a scene where Karkaroff sneaks into the room where the goblet is kept. They film him being sneaky. You can tell he's being sneaky because they do a closeup of his face while he shifts his gaze from left to right and carefully closes the door behind him.

At the end of the movie, it's shown that Karkaroff had absolutely nothing to do with the tampering of the Goblet. So why was he sneaking in there? It was something they put in there to make Karkaroff look suspicious because they didn't have the screen time to explain why would should suspect him like Rowling did in the book. But the scene makes no sense whatsoever.

I know it's a somewhat esoteric example, but Ethan waking up with an origami dog in his hand before his son goes missing?
 

Gennadios

New member
Aug 19, 2009
1,157
0
0
You've been "playing Dragon Age 2 lately"? Awesome, I sense a review incoming. If you were ripping at Heavy Rain plotholes, I hope you bring up the ones in DA2 in that case. Well, provided you didn't take the Templar option on everything. Game was only meant to be played one way, and the plot holes wouldn't be as glaring in the Templar playthrough.
 

Marik Bentusi

Senior Member
Aug 20, 2010
541
0
21
Sad to inform you I don't give two shits about these kind of awards, so this article wasn't exactly interesting either. Guess releasing steam never hurts tho. But really, what did you expect, Yahtzee, you cynical bastard with a toasty heart?
 

ImBigBob

New member
Dec 24, 2008
336
0
0
Personally, I always hate gaming game of the year awards, because my precious Nintendo DS always gets the shaft. Granted, the DS had kind of a lousy year in 2010, but Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors deserves best story, by far. Sadly, it wasn't released in Europe, so I guess I should complain about game localization more than the fact that it wasn't nominated.

Still, this year I've spent a ton of time on my DS, with Ghost Trick, Radiant Historia, and Pokemon Black, and I still have Okamiden to get to! Are any of those games going to make a dent in awards besides "Best DS game"?
 

draythefingerless

New member
Jul 10, 2010
539
0
0
Gennadios said:
You've been "playing Dragon Age 2 lately"? Awesome, I sense a review incoming. If you were ripping at Heavy Rain plotholes, I hope you bring up the ones in DA2 in that case. Well, provided you didn't take the Templar option on everything. Game was only meant to be played one way, and the plot holes wouldn't be as glaring in the Templar playthrough.
Wich plotholes? I played my own way, it was fairly neutral, a bit tending pro mage, so i dont really know any plot holes from the top of my head. Maybe a bit foggy plot points, but full out plot holes i dont remember at all.
 

LightningBanks

New member
Apr 15, 2009
790
0
0
KILGAZOR said:
EDIT: Holy fuck, I just noticed Blops got nominated for story. What. The. Fucking. Hell.
Yeah I couldnt believe that myself, I put up with The modern warfares because thestory was sorta ok, but in blops there is no story, literally. Like, I have no idea whats going on other than, "ther be war, but you shouldn't be in this mode you should go on our multiplayer mode its the only thing we work on"
 

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
2,122
0
0
starwarsgeek said:
Probably for the new tricks for level design (levels disappearing beneath your feet, walls of purply cliff-making stuff limiting how much of a scrolling platform you can actually interact with, a FOLDING swamp). Guess you have to really be into platformers to notice these kinds of things, but the level design mechanics are a big reason why I love the game. Hope it turns out to be as influential as 64
I loved the level ideas, but the "limiting how much of the level you can touch" thing was done in SMG1, and the folding swamp was more aesthetic than anything that really affected gameplay. I liked the Beat Block Galaxy, though, and the Sweet Mystery Galaxy was a very interesting twist on the limit-how-much-of-the-level-etc. idea, but even with those, SMG1 was just more all-around imaginative.

By the way, for anyone wondering it actually did start development as an expansion pack, but it got to big to justify calling it one and was upgraded to a full sequel.
Interesting, I didn't know that.
 

Epslion.Bear

New member
Feb 27, 2011
220
0
0
dunam said:
I thought for a second that "You have to burn the rope" won Handheld.

http://www.kongregate.com/games/Mazapan/you-have-to-burn-the-rope

Favorite game in a long time.
Thank you for sharing this... this... godly flash.
Best 3 minutes of my life.

OT: Silly people. Black ops doesn't deserve an award

I blame Critics :mad:
 

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
7,990
2,365
118
Country
'Merica
Gender
3 children in a trench coat
Red Dead Redemption should have replaced Cod Black Ops in every category. Black Ops might be a fun game to play when drunk with some friends, but it does not deserve ANY awards (and I'm someone who freaking LOVES playing Black Ops when drunk with my friends).