Extra Punctuation: Hating Warhammer 40k and Space Marine

daftalchemist

Aug 6, 2008
I'm no fan of space marines (on account of them looking like durp in those bellbottoms and MASSIVE shoulder pads) or 40k orks (because they have no place in a sci-fi setting, imo, and also durp), but I thought the game was fun. I went in not taking it seriously because of the aforementioned durp I perceive in space marines, and translated the game as one of those ironically over-the-top kinds of things. So it just became funny. And I'm pretty much always entertained by killing large groups of enemies with something resembling a chainsaw.

But I do have to agree about the ridiculousness of the balking at a woman in charge. But thank god those walking tank-men showed up to save her before she fainted from all the pressure of being in command!

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
Lord_Gremlin said:
Hm, I don't think Yahtzee is really familiar with W40K universe. I would agree that game somewhat assumes that player is familiar with the setting and already knows in details who are Ultramarines, what's a Weirdboy etc.
Thing is, it's a good W40K game. Now, it's all depends on your angle on W40K, but it's good at what it does.
Also, it has Ultramarines. The most boring, dull, emotionless Space Marines of all. I was actually surprised just how much emotion they show in game.

Enjoyed this game a lot and still enjoying it now. Multiplayer is fun, let's you play as Chaos.
Ultimately how good this game is is determined by your love W40K and your opinion on Ultrasmurfs.. I mean, Ultramarines.
Honestly, they should have used Space Wolves... Or maybe Chaos marines, something less bland than Ultrasmurfs.
Space Wolves! I concur...

Though I would like to see a Rogue Trader (either Original 1st edition, or remake ... which is more likely by a a factor of a million) ... I mean come on. Design your own capital ship ... buy up entire regiments of troopers. Train, outfit them, and explore strange new worlds. Seek out new life and new civi-- ... wait ... sorry ... my bad.

Create your own 5 person command unit from the 10 available classes....

Now there is the opportunity for an awesome rpg-third person shooter.

I enjoyed the game, but frankly I think it would have been nice as you say to play Space Wolves, or take a look at war from the Imperial Guard side of things.

A 'historical' game set during the Macharian Wars. A Crusader guardsman who works their way up to lieutenant. Frankly I would like to see a game where you are the lowest thing on the foodchain, and thus have to rely on squadmates and effective field co-ordination of artillery to actually win the day.

Hell, the training tutorial and first chapter where you learn the mechanics of the game could be entirely dedicated to a short story dedicated to how your character made Sargeant ... get ordered around at the start of the game, and then you quickly learn that you were ordered about for good reason, and then employ the same tricks of the trade after seeing their efficacy when you get a field commission.

...'Sides .... everybody knows that it's the 'Hammer' that does all the work....

Jim 028

Mar 25, 2009

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
daftalchemist said:
But I do have to agree about the ridiculousness of the balking at a woman in charge. But thank god those walking tank-men showed up to save her before she fainted from all the pressure of being in command!
Except that's not what happens. Find my previous posts buried around here somewhere on the topic....

Necromancer1991

Apr 9, 2010
I like WH40K, tell me "it's shit" all you want, I like the universe (and how over the top it is). I will admit that the universe isn't perfect (But than again what is), but I like it just the same.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
This coupled together with Gears 3...I'm really starting to get the impression that Yahtzee is rather biased towards these types of games. He deflected acusations that he was a troll in the SSBB mailroom showdown and I agreed with him then but these viewpoints are starting to sound rather unfounded and frankly I wonder if he's just trying to get the goat of fans.

Also as someone who has limited exposure to 40K, here's what I got from it. The future is a hell hole, aliens are besigning it from every side, Hyperspace is quite literally Hell filled with immortal demons and four (five) asshole gods who take joy in causing pain and miser. The Imperium is a husk of what it used to be, falling apart over 10,000 around the corpse of it's founder, who had such a different vision for humanity, after he was mortally wounded by his own son. The Inquisition will gladly sacarafice millions to save billions, and billions to save trillions. You are expendable, you will be used as cannon fodder if you show no other use, and worse of all, THERE IS NO WAY OUT.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
CrossLOPER said:
erttheking said:
The Imperium is a husk of what it used to be, falling apart over 10,000 around the corpse of it's founder, who had such a different vision for humanity, after he was mortally wounded by his own son.
He wanted to create a way of space travel without using the warp. The Chaos powers did not like this and lied to many of the Primarchs (including Horus) that he was trying to become a god(the Imperial Truth is that there are no gods, though the Emperor knew about chaos and simply hoped that his sons would destroy any trace so quickly that they would not be tainted), who either turned to Chaos or became renegades.
Yeah, half of the Primarchs and Space Marines turned on the Emperor and practically all of them, Loyalist and Traitors, died in the end with the Emperor being stuck on the throne. What really makes me crap my pants is that somewhere I read that there were other methods of FTL that the Imperium looked at, and the Warp was considered the safest. I really don't want to think about that too much, that the Warp is viewed as a preferably alternative to something. Unless you're the Tau, if you use the Warp to travel things could very easily end badly.

MrPeanut

Jun 18, 2011
erttheking said:
What really makes me crap my pants is that somewhere I read that there were other methods of FTL that the Imperium looked at, and the Warp was considered the safest. I really don't want to think about that too much, that the Warp is viewed as a preferably alternative to something. Unless you're the Tau, if you use the Warp to travel things could very easily end badly.
The Necron ships travel with near instant non-warp FTL drives across the galaxy but I doubt they would be eager to share.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
MrPeanut said:
erttheking said:
What really makes me crap my pants is that somewhere I read that there were other methods of FTL that the Imperium looked at, and the Warp was considered the safest. I really don't want to think about that too much, that the Warp is viewed as a preferably alternative to something. Unless you're the Tau, if you use the Warp to travel things could very easily end badly.
The Necron ships travel with near instant non-warp FTL drives across the galaxy but I doubt they would be eager to share.
I recall the Adectus Mechanicus trying to get into a tomb world once, but I think it was one of those, "get a billon people killed" days and I doubt it worked. Not to mention with the "Kill all organics" thing that they've got going on along with them completly disapearing after every, fight, that is pretty unlikely. Not to mention they're all being controled by a C'tan, which is kind of cheating.

Malkavian

Jan 22, 2009
ACman said:
Longshot said:
ACman said:
Military/paramilitary/intelligence and associated services then. The interesting bit is the Adeptus Administratum who seem to control planets and military. and in the back-ground even they sound like inhuman monks.

Supposedly this system of governance has been going controlling the entire human galaxy for 10,000 years; which sounds like a situation where you'd have sections of the administratum fall under the control of local princes al la europe after the Roman Empire. But no, the empire is stable despite constant war.

Hence I think it would be more interesting for the empire to fragment. Hence my previous Catholic/Protestant/Orthodox analogy.
The Administratum is also everything civil matters. Infrastructure, civil services, health care that sort of thing. It's a really broad umbrella, and another reason why your chart isn't that good at describing how the society functions.

For an example, the military branch of the administratum is a section in itself, called the munitorium. While I concede war and a militaristic mindset is weaved closely into the societys structure, it is a necessity born out of constant conflict. On any number of fronts.

The empire can't fragment. If it were ever to cease functioning as it does now, humanity would perish. Which would not make it very interesting at all, since it would mean the end of the setting.

Yes. There is only war. Not as in every planet is constantly engulfed in strife, but humanity as a whole is at constant conflict, and it is barely holding. If it were to become divisioned, if the warmachine was not fed, it would falter in its defense. And if the public was not constantly scrutinized for signs of heresy, it would crumble from within. Not because not being a fervant churchgoer is a bad thing, but because chaos must be held at bay at all costs.
Who say's that humanity would perish? The Imperium's propaganda?

If you defy the Imperium you will fall to Chaos (Ie. go to hell.): Theocratic
If we don't work together for the Imperium the imperium will fall: Fascism

It's all propaganda to support these two systems. Two types of government that I and I imagine people in the future would buck against or would be corrupt enough that people would carve out domains of their own. And I said fragment. Not fall apart. Did Europe stop working just because the Roman Empire fell? No. They became a system of feudal nationstates that paid homage to the former imperial power the papacy.You cannot tell me that a galaxywide inefficient theocratic empire wouldn't fracture.

The setting would be more interesting and dynamic if these problems or the tensions that lead to these problems were highlighted but most of the back story focuses on how space-marine chapters were formed and how they behave. And I'm with Yahtzee. Sapce Marines are boring sexless monks devoid of humanity. Interesting as part of a setting but so over emphasized that the everything else falls into the background.

Edit: I don't hate the setting just thing that the actual humanity could be a dynamic and colorful as the superhumans that inhabit it.
No, that's pretty much fact. The thing is, if chaos is not kept properly in check, it will swallow up the whole galaxy. Humanity is barely holding as it is now, and that' thanks to the system.

For one thing: How does a fractured Imperium maintain the Imperial Guard? How can the Inquisition operate, and with what authority? Where does the Mechanicum ship its manufactured arms, and what does it do with the titan legions?

Of course, measures can be taken to maintain these forces, The Guard can be something akin to the UN or Nato forces, the Inquisition a kind of Interpol, the Mechanicum can be independant manufacturers selling their weapons. The problem is that it would make everything function much less smoothly. Politics would interfere with the protection of the imperium, noone would be able to do their job properly. Humanity would be destroyed, as noone would be able to properly organize, for an example, the defense against Hive Fleet Leviathan, by Inquisitor Kryptman. Imagine the UN trying to solve that situation, and having to take those hard decisions, for an example, virus bombing an entire imperial planet out of necessity. I can see where you are coming from, but it is not possible in the setting. If you would prefer such a setting, fair enough, but its not possible to change the W40k to one such, without making major changes to EVERYTHING, all factions, and the underlying lore. You would have something very much not 40k.

As for humanity not being varied and colourful... it IS. While the government that connects systems may be a strict, unchanging, dystopian fascist oppressor, individual planets have individual cultures. Reading the books will show that. Hell, you can even see it in the Wargame itself. Tallarns differ vastly from Cadians differ vastly from Valhallans.

EDIT: I just reread your post to add something: Chaos and the threat it poses is not imperial propaganda. It's very, very real. Same goes for the xenos. It's not propaganda that the Necrons are awakening, that we've only yet seen scouting parties of the real Tyranid Hivefleet, that the Tau have advanced past humanity in terms of tech, that the Orks are an unstoppable destructive force that could slaughter everything if they worked together, etc. In fact, it is not used for propaganda at all, mostly being kept a secret as much as possible. While the imperium utilizes propaganda, the threats that beset them are very much real.

ACman

Apr 21, 2011
Longshot said:
ACman said:
Longshot said:
ACman said:
Military/paramilitary/intelligence and associated services then. The interesting bit is the Adeptus Administratum who seem to control planets and military. and in the back-ground even they sound like inhuman monks.

Supposedly this system of governance has been going controlling the entire human galaxy for 10,000 years; which sounds like a situation where you'd have sections of the administratum fall under the control of local princes al la europe after the Roman Empire. But no, the empire is stable despite constant war.

Hence I think it would be more interesting for the empire to fragment. Hence my previous Catholic/Protestant/Orthodox analogy.
The Administratum is also everything civil matters. Infrastructure, civil services, health care that sort of thing. It's a really broad umbrella, and another reason why your chart isn't that good at describing how the society functions.

For an example, the military branch of the administratum is a section in itself, called the munitorium. While I concede war and a militaristic mindset is weaved closely into the societys structure, it is a necessity born out of constant conflict. On any number of fronts.

The empire can't fragment. If it were ever to cease functioning as it does now, humanity would perish. Which would not make it very interesting at all, since it would mean the end of the setting.

Yes. There is only war. Not as in every planet is constantly engulfed in strife, but humanity as a whole is at constant conflict, and it is barely holding. If it were to become divisioned, if the warmachine was not fed, it would falter in its defense. And if the public was not constantly scrutinized for signs of heresy, it would crumble from within. Not because not being a fervant churchgoer is a bad thing, but because chaos must be held at bay at all costs.

It's all propaganda to support these two systems. Two types of government that I and I imagine people in the future would buck against or would be corrupt enough that people would carve out domains of their own. And I said fragment. Not fall apart. Did Europe stop working just because the Roman Empire fell? No. They became a system of feudal nationstates that paid homage to the former imperial power the papacy.You cannot tell me that a galaxywide inefficient theocratic empire wouldn't fracture.

The setting would be more interesting and dynamic if these problems or the tensions that lead to these problems were highlighted but most of the back story focuses on how space-marine chapters were formed and how they behave. And I'm with Yahtzee. Sapce Marines are boring sexless monks devoid of humanity. Interesting as part of a setting but so over emphasized that the everything else falls into the background.

Edit: I don't hate the setting just thing that the actual humanity could be a dynamic and colorful as the superhumans that inhabit it.
No, that's pretty much fact. The thing is, if chaos is not kept properly in check, it will swallow up the whole galaxy. Humanity is barely holding as it is now, and that' thanks to the system.

For one thing: How does a fractured Imperium maintain the Imperial Guard? How can the Inquisition operate, and with what authority? Where does the Mechanicum ship its manufactured arms, and what does it do with the titan legions?

Of course, measures can be taken to maintain these forces, The Guard can be something akin to the UN or Nato forces, the Inquisition a kind of Interpol, the Mechanicum can be independant manufacturers selling their weapons. The problem is that it would make everything function much less smoothly. Politics would interfere with the protection of the imperium, noone would be able to do their job properly. Humanity would be destroyed, as noone would be able to properly organize, for an example, the defense against Hive Fleet Leviathan, by Inquisitor Kryptman. Imagine the UN trying to solve that situation, and having to take those hard decisions, for an example, virus bombing an entire imperial planet out of necessity. I can see where you are coming from, but it is not possible in the setting. If you would prefer such a setting, fair enough, but its not possible to change the W40k to one such, without making major changes to EVERYTHING, all factions, and the underlying lore. You would have something very much not 40k.

As for humanity not being varied and colourful... it IS. While the government that connects systems may be a strict, unchanging, dystopian fascist oppressor, individual planets have individual cultures. Reading the books will show that. Hell, you can even see it in the Wargame itself. Tallarns differ vastly from Cadians differ vastly from Valhallans.

EDIT: I just reread your post to add something: Chaos and the threat it poses is not imperial propaganda. It's very, very real. Same goes for the xenos. It's not propaganda that the Necrons are awakening, that we've only yet seen scouting parties of the real Tyranid Hivefleet, that the Tau have advanced past humanity in terms of tech, that the Orks are an unstoppable destructive force that could slaughter everything if they worked together, etc. In fact, it is not used for propaganda at all, mostly being kept a secret as much as possible. While the imperium utilizes propaganda, the threats that beset them are very much real.
But none of these societies interact with each other.

Except through war.

Or through nasty totalitarian government.

ACman

Apr 21, 2011
ACman said:
Longshot said:
ACman said:
Longshot said:
ACman said:

Except through war.

I don't really give a toss what types of hat the populace wears. The political class is what interests me an they seem to be horrible religious types.

I'm not saying that horrible religious types shouldn't be present but some alternatives are nice.

And as for the Chaos stuff. Most of that information come from heavily redacted imperium documents. Who's to say they not making that shit up?

Neocavo

Feb 19, 2011
TBH IMO i am a W40K fanboy to the point i all but boycott SC2 but i dont think yahtzee so much as did an injustice towards the backstory he just said what he saw in the game and has already in a few reviews mentioned he is not a fan of the 40k universe if it wasnt for the fact that Dawn of war 2 and personal interest in the grim dark future i wouldnt have a damn clue based on space marine alone, it is a little silly that hes gone to highlight chainswords and raging roids and battle armour as a bad thing since hes a clear advocate of the old school shooter but then again space marine does kinda come across as warhammer 40k: gears of war....in the sense of limited weapons and the whole melee weapons are over exaggerated to do more fan service than make the game legitimately fun. If THQ make a sequel which they proberly will because W40k is guaranteed money for them, they should take out the limited amount of hardware you can carry and the needing to execute for health and keep the melee just polish it off abit more, they could be on to a real melee/shooter winner......and of course no regenerating health -.-

Malkavian

Jan 22, 2009
ACman said:
ACman said:

Except through war.

I don't really give a toss what types of hat the populace wears. The political class is what interests me an they seem to be horrible religious types.

I'm not saying that horrible religious types shouldn't be present but some alternatives are nice.

And as for the Chaos stuff. Most of that information come from heavily redacted imperium documents. Who's to say they not making that shit up?
They interact plenty. Trade, vacationing, etc.

Not at all. Sure, some of them are religious, but you should compare it to american politicians. They have to show piety outwards, but they are not zealots. Are the figureheads of the ecclesiarchy highly religious? Yes. Are the administrative workers and the ruling politicians? No.

PLanetary Governors are not typically fervent believers. I mean, they can be, but no different from how normal people can be christians, but mostly in upbringing.

The lore? It's not like all of W40k are seen from the perspective of humans, you know... There is really nothing to discuss here. You might as well argue that the emperor didn't build the death star, and everything we saw in the Star Wars movies were just propaganda. I don't know where you are going with this, but there's really no doubt here. Chaos is real, and it's hella dangerous.

ACman

Apr 21, 2011
Longshot said:
ACman said:
ACman said:

Except through war.

They interact plenty. Trade, vacationing, etc.

Not at all. Sure, some of them are religious, but you should compare it to american politicians. They have to show piety outwards, but they are not zealots. Are the figureheads of the ecclesiarchy highly religious? Yes. Are the administrative workers and the ruling politicians? No.

PLanetary Governors are not typically fervent believers. I mean, they can be, but no different from how normal people can be christians, but mostly in upbringing.

The lore? It's not like all of W40k are seen from the perspective of humans, you know... There is really nothing to discuss here. You might as well argue that the emperor didn't build the death star, and everything we saw in the Star Wars movies were just propaganda. I don't know where you are going with this, but there's really no doubt here. Chaos is real, and it's hella dangerous.
Maybe for people in Sementum Obscurus.

For us in Segmentum Solar the government is just using a vague threat somewhere far far away to distract from domestic issues.

poleboy

May 19, 2008
Now that I know 40K is a satire, taking blows at just about every major religious and political insitution, I actually like it a lot more. :D

captcha: tembroac sorcery. - the chaos demons are upon us! :O

ACman

Apr 21, 2011
Do you know what I really want in this setting?

Pirates.

And Venician/Florentine merchant ships. The setting could do with a good renaissance.

And a reformation.

Not to mention an enlightenment.

Edit: But mostly space pirates.

Edit: Edit: Yarr!