Extra Punctuation: Why Regenerating Health Sucks

cke

Jun 20, 2010
thereverend7 said:
Believe it or not, i had a similar idea to yahtzee's about that "luck" system. you could have a character who is considered "very lucky" and as he's getting shot at, the bullets whiz by or he happens to dodge them. once your luck bar runs out though, its close to curtains for you. you would have a very limited health bar and once the bullets started hitting you, it would be realistic and you would die in one or two shots.
You mean like Brothers in Arms:HH ?

Frozenfeet2

Apr 3, 2010
With a luck system does it regenerate at all? Regeneration of health is used because the problem with health bars would be getting a checkpoint with low health then being screwed on a game like CoD. It totally depends what type of game, regeneration is better for CoD.

Another point: Some games (e.g. Assassin's Creed) shouldn't use both medicine etc and regeneration for gaining health. Although having more armour = more health is a good idea I haven't seen other games use it.

Vampire cat

Apocalypse Meow
Apr 21, 2010
I always felt the regeneration from... Well I can't actually remember which game, it might have been Medal of Honor Airborne. Anyway, you had 4-or-so "bars". Those bars worked so that when 1 was empty, the next would start to drain, and you wouldn't be dead until they were all empty. A shot to the torso would take 1 bar or so, to the head would be 3-4 bars, and arms and legs (non-criticals) would be 1/2 of a bar. Obviously something more elaborate in the form of hit-boxes could be made, just to give you an idea.

The thing is, a bar can ONLY be regenerated if there is some hp left in that bar (regardless of how little). When the bar is empty and a new one has started draining, that bar is lost. A way to remidy having to go around with 3/4 or HP all the time after your first confontration could be by bringing back the medic class (I'm obviously talking multi-player here, sorry for not mentioning that earlier), which has the unique ability of applying bandages, 1 bandage would bring back 1 bar at say 10%, and it would then regenerate itself to full. This could be done as many times as needed to get the full 4 bars.

In my opinion, this is by far the most sane system that the developers could be using at the moment, and I really wish they would as it would also allow us to carry more magazines again, now your killing ability must be limited by only letting you carry a few magazines (typically 2-4), which is very annoying in my opinion (especially for games that seek to be realistic, seeing as the average soldier would carry 8-12 magazines if not more).

EDIT:
DugMachine said:
Halo: Reach sort of has this. You have your main shield which regenerates with time and you're health will regenerate but only if you have taken minimum damage. I think if it's past the 75% mark you have to find a health pack to regain your health. They also quickly restore health and shields if you need a quick heal.
I guess this is sorta what I'm on about =3.

Scow2

Aug 3, 2009
I think a way to justify "Healing by Killing", especially for a fast-paced action game, is to have health represent some sort of "Strength/Resolve/Endurance through Self-Confidence and Spirit," since it's already established that no health system can be realistically implemented and fun at the same time.

It's also the most sensible from the abstract when the point of the game is kicking names and taking ass, because since losing health is punishing screwing up and failure, success and doing things right rewards you with more health.

I like an idea you didn't mention, but I thought of when reflecting on Halo's system: Give two health bars, either a "Health from Time/action" like the Walk it Off, Health-through-Murder, or Regeneration systems, and one "Recover-through-depletion", like immobile health packs, med-stations, and usable Healing Potions; or a "Easy, short-term recovery" and "Hard, long-term Recovery" system, like that seen in Left 4 Dead, with its pills and first-aid kits.

Even my favorite tabletop game, D&D, uses a Dual-health-bar system, with Standard Hit Points and Temporary Hit Points on top of those.

And: Halo 1 had a better system than Halo-Reach, by not extending the Shield bar to also include half the health bar.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
I found from watching several playthroughs of Dues Ex, that I prefer their use of health. You can find FA kits, you can replenish at medical robots, and you can even get a augment that regens your health by consuming Bio-electrical energy. This probably wouldn't work in COD, of course, but still a decent system.

omicron1

Mar 26, 2008
I agree that regenerating health alone is a pretty poor game mechanic; I don't think, however, that it is without its uses in a discerning design. For instance, I'm working with a triple-mode system in my own pet RPG/action-adventure project:
1. Regenerating health in order to allow you to fight each enemy on essentially even ground - this is, je pense, an important function to have, as it can keep you from getting truly stuck in a long string of fights.
2. Wounds system (think Dragon Age: Origins) to give some consequence to poor blocking/dodging/fighting skill. Wounds should matter, but not leave you completely ineffective.
3. Energy/food system to give you a resource to manage. Fighting, running, and doing things take energy; energy recharges slowly but drains your "stomach," which you must keep full by eating. If you're starving, you can't fight.

PopcornAvenger

Jul 15, 2008
I liked Bioshock, where not only did you use health kits and stations to heal yourself, the enemy did, too. Well, at least the health stations. Until I sabotaged them. muhahaha!

I like the old school health bar & kits. Why fix something that's not broken? Dead Space does it pretty craftily, as it's a health monitor system resembling your spine, I rather liked that - it didn't detract from the game's immersion, but fit into it.

Don't like the regenerating health systems, I agree, they are less fun.

Xanadu84

Apr 9, 2008
Fronzel said:
Regenerating health does make a lot more sense in puzzly games like Portal and Mirror's Edge.

Xanadu84 said:
Entitled to your opinion sure, but frankly, Yahtzee is just plain wrong here.
What an odd thing to say.

If you disagree with someone, you can just say it without this weird "I give you permission to have this opinion" thing that people seem to like doing.
It's not that odd. There's often times hate over opinions, and what people personally like. Someone tells someone that they are dumb for liking something, for example. That is wrong. Yahtzee likes a certain type of game: Games with hit point systems instead of regeneration. If that's your thing, more power to you. I will not criticize an individuals taste. However, Yahtzees tastes say absolutely nothing about the validity of regenerating health as a whole.

I for example don't like peanut butter. I can say that I don't like peanut butter. But the fact that I don't like peanut butter means absolutely nothing to anyone else. If there was poop in a jar of peanut butter, I could say that, "This peanut butter is bad because it has poop in it". And I would have an excellent point about the peanut butters quality. If I just said that peanut butter is bad, im not adding anything to any meaningful discussion. In this article, Yahtzee isn't pointing to poop in the peanut butter, he is saying that peanut butter is gross.

RUINER ACTUAL

Oct 29, 2009
The luck system would be great in a shooter. You're running from cover to cover while under fire, and the more you get shot at, the more likely you are to get killed.

Michizane

Apr 15, 2009
the thing with those ideas is, all of them can work, including the regenerating health bar system.
Like so many things it all just depends on implementation, and there are a lot of ways to screw them all up.

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
I actually prefer regenerating health. I feel like a health bar takes me out of the experience, while regenerating health keeps the game flowing and moving forward. Nothing is less fun than getting blown away over and over just because you made a mistake 2 rooms back and there's no health kits nearby.

JMeganSnow

Aug 27, 2008
I'm not terribly fond of the instant-regen-at-end-of-combat in the Dragon Age series, personally. There's absolutely no incentive to try and push your party to the limit so that you're not taking massive damage during the fights, because you only have to make it to the end of THIS fight and everything's fine.

Contrast this with other games where you have to use potions or rest (although the resting mechanic has been mangled in some games to basically be a post-combat reset button, so it's little different from instant-fix) in order to restore lost health/mana/whatever. Taking a lot of damage in THIS fight can mean you'll be ill-equipped to handle THAT fight later on. So it's a lot more fun to look for strategies where you don't get hurt.

And the thing is--games that push you into "I must prevent myself from getting hurt" have a gameplay mechanic that actually increases immersion to a certain degree. Because all that damage you've been taking MEANS something. Some of the pain of combat gets communicated. It's not all completely detached.

VichusSmith

Oct 26, 2010
When I think about the games I played before regenerating health having health packs strewn all over a battlefield, I'm glad that we have this type of health recovery now. It's not realistic, but eventually we'll get there.

I think ideally you would either make a game where your character is armored up, the luck system that Yahtzee suggested, or a mix of recovery items, some health regeneration, and some sort of minigame where you or a medic character patches you up.

Sampler

He who is not known
May 5, 2008
Been playing Fable III recently and feel the same - what was the problem with Fable II's food/potions? It even added a layer, food makes you fat (or thin in celeries case) but is cheaper and more common then potions.

Also the loss of the health bar has quite peeved me off.

TriggerHappyAngel

Self-Important Angler Fish
Feb 17, 2010
Personally I've always thought, in a realistic game, health should be replaced by a "luck" system. When the game calculates that a bullet is about to hit you, it corrects the trajectory so it doesn't, and you lose a bit of your luck bar. Then when it runs out you finally get hit by a single bullet and go down crying like a big fat girl.
Take my money and create that shit :O

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Regenerating health by running around was (sorta) done in Giants: Citizens Kabuto, where Delphi recovers by immersing herself in deep water...and normally has to run round to avoid being shot, or swim way out. She can't use weapons or anything while in the water as well, it's one or the other.

It was actually pretty annoying, really, IMHO.

Feb 13, 2008
Yahtzee Croshaw said:
because in a truly realistic game you wouldn't be able to continue after getting shot once, and any game that doesn't let you make any mistakes isn't going to be much fun for anyone except insane obsessive no-hit-runners.
Like Trilby: The Art of Theft? Or Super Meatboy? or...quite a few "Life" based games.

Hidden and Dangerous and most of your vaunted "Stealth" games rely on you having to run like hell from a single dangerous encounter.

jman11288

Jul 29, 2009
Yahtzee,

I can definately agree that regenerating health is overused, but I can see why so many developers use it. It's a cheap, easy way to keep the game moving at a good pace. Today's gamers are fickle, impatient people who don't want to spend even 30 seconds diverting from the path foreward to hunt for a health pack. And when they press on without the benefit of a full health bar they get gunned down over and over again leading to frustration and quitting the game. It's lazy, but unfortunately it pleases the low standards of Call of Duty players.

That said, I think you're absolutely right about tying to find new ways to restore a player's health. However, I believe a combination of systems would work as well. I know everyone likes to pick on Halo (for some reason), but I think Bungie had the most effective health system with the first game and thankfully brought it back with Reach. You have your shield, which will always regenerate as long as you're careful, and you're actual health that will immediately give away to one or two shots. You could say that is like any other shooter, but the difference is that you still need to hunt down health packs for maximum survivability. You still get that feeling of triumph after you visciously beat four brutes to death with an empty energy sword handle while your shield is broken, but never really feel like you HAVE to search for health packs in order to continue. It's still a good idea, but not required.

Flauros

Mar 2, 2010
thereverend7 said:
Believe it or not, i had a similar idea to yahtzee's about that "luck" system. you could have a character who is considered "very lucky" and as he's getting shot at, the bullets whiz by or he happens to dodge them. once your luck bar runs out though, its close to curtains for you. you would have a very limited health bar and once the bullets started hitting you, it would be realistic and you would die in one or two shots.
I thought he automatically dodges or absorbs a punch by leaning into it, but hell get tired of doing that eventually.....