Fable III Dev Lobs a Few Word Bombs at the Haters

ImprovizoR

Dec 6, 2009
Does any PC gamer even care about Fable? Especially since we already have The Witcher 2 now...

Azaraxzealot

Dec 1, 2009
Fr said:
anc[is]Summary: "Nuh uh! It is good! You're all poo poo heads!"

Greg Tito said:
We're making a co-operative role-playing game
Oh ho ho that slaps me on the knee
and thus the internet once again takes the "i'm da shmart one! look at me being reashonable!" when in reality, you're little more than a troll.

reminds me of that song from Peter Pan... how'd it go?

just so you know (everyone i quoted) i'm not flaming either of you, this is a criticism of the internet and its attitude when people say "my game IS good! you don't understand!"

and i know it feels good to pick on the big developer who seems to be whining like a baby, but think about it...
think about every school project you ever did that you got flunked on and you thought you put a LOT of effort into it.
think about all the creative things you spent weeks working on just for someone to say "that sucks"
every time you put effort into anything, just to have people throw it back in your face.

now multiply those people by a few million. now multiply the hatred by a number exponentially higher than that. and make sure you take into account the amount of hours that went into making it.

instead of just going "this sucks, you guys are lame" why not be nice about it? isn't that a rule on this forum anyways?

they obviously put a lot of effort into it, and lionhead the closest thing to "independent" the AAA industry has these days since Peter Molyneux has full creative control over his games.

Now if you invested a good amount of money into the product and you feel it pissed all over you? that's different, but don't go slandering the game just because everyone else is doing it.

Duskflamer

Nov 8, 2009
Azaraxzealot said:
Now if you invested a good amount of money into the product and you feel it pissed all over you? that's different, but don't go slandering the game just because everyone else is doing it.
So the fact that everyone is echoing the opinion that Fable 3 wasn't a good game is because everyone's just trying to copy what each other is saying and is not, nay, cannot possible be because...most people here think Fable 3 wasn't a good game?

This isn't some small time high school project or a no-advertising indie title. Fable 3 was hyped for a long time as being a game so good nobody would want to miss. If the end result is a lot of people who wished they had missed it, you can't go saying that they're just following the leader on complaining about it.

Azaraxzealot

Dec 1, 2009
Duskflamer said:
Azaraxzealot said:
So the fact that everyone is echoing the opinion that Fable 3 wasn't a good game is because everyone's just trying to copy what each other is saying and is not, nay, cannot possible be because...most people here think Fable 3 wasn't a good game?

This isn't some small time high school project or a no-advertising indie title. Fable 3 was hyped for a long time as being a game so good nobody would want to miss. If the end result is a lot of people who wished they had missed it, you can't go saying that they're just following the leader on complaining about it.
i think at this point people should simply expect that Molyneux will exaggerate his game an extreme and we should take his comments with a grain of salt.

plus, i think it's also up to the people to decide how they react to hype machines. if they buy into it and are disappointed, then that's their prerogative, is it not? i'm going to take Lionhead's side on this. not to be different, but because fable has never disappointed me.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Reading these responses, I'm filled with the urge to just ask "U mad?"

Urge resisted, his opinion is just as valid of any of yours. I don't really care, no demo = no buy. End of, the only exception being if you sell it for three dollars or less.

SelectivelyEvil13

Jul 28, 2010
Fable III isn't Lord of the Rings? Well ho-ly-sh------t! I never would a guessed so!

Sorry, but your story part of your series needs serious work to be anywhere close to worth mentioning next to Lord of the Rings. Stick with Good Night Moon or something along those lines.

As for the "co-op RPG" thing, uh, what of Fable I? What about Fable II? Oh, so now because they put a little more focus on some secondary aspect, now Fable III is a "co-op RPG?" How does that work, and how does that translate to anything besides "Well instead of making the game a good experience with just one player, we thought we'd offer the chance to have a mediocre one with two!"

Hussmann54

Dec 14, 2009
Its supposed to be comedic? So choosing to kill either the love of your life, or several random strangers within the first five minutes is considered light hearted? What ****** up world do you live in where that is a humor based narrative?

It seems for all its good points, Fable 3 ran into that little identity crisis problem in that, as much as I love the games, they dont know what they want to be. A sort of sims game, or aforementioned LotR epic.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Eh. He wasn't as bad as Warren Spector ranting about Epic Mickey was, but he still needs to remember that him saying his game is fun doesn't magically make it fun for people who didn't enjoy it.

ryo02

Oct 8, 2007
actually I think fable 1 was better than fable 3 sorry
now we just need this guy to claim Im not playing the game the "right way"

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
pwahahAHHAHAH. Is this guy serious?

I'm usually not so callous, but this is astoundingly hilarious. It's not even a shades of grey affair; Fable 3's combat system was criticized all across the board. And now the guy wants freaking -awards- for sound, I just...what is this I don't even..

BTW, Fable 3 on the PC isn't doing so hot right now on the review-front. And what is this 'cooperative rpg' thing and *gasp* and... *gasp*, ok, I'm done. I'm done.

Firehound

is a trap!
Nov 22, 2010
Mike West said:
"Generally what happens when there's any information about Fable or about Peter Molyneux, you get a complete black and white - pardon the pun - split of forum replies. Half of the people, whatever it's about - if Peter has made the most sensible comment about games development ever - just spout obscenities and terrible, ridiculous things.

People saying the story wasn't very good was unfair. It's an interesting situation of you gather people together and then defeating the main bad guy. It's a pretty good story and it's pretty fun.

"It's a frustrating situation to be in because we make good games, but people expect something that no one else is doing. We're making a co-operative role-playing game - there aren't any co-operative role-playing games out there, we're the only one.

[Fable III is] a different type of game: it's more of a fun, comedic TV show than a serious Lord of the Rings film. I think a lot of people that play it think it's a Lord of the Rings - and it isn't.

"I'm slightly disappointed we haven't won any audio awards to be honest, because our music's great, our vocal talent's great - and then you'll see a standard shooter get an audio award. I just think that's because they're more popular than us."

"We didn't want to make it feel like a port. The main thing was to completely redo the control system. It's a modal system now where you switch between modes and the mouse buttons do different things. The second big change is the engine, with the high resolution and the 3D as well. Fable and Albion have never looked better for anyone on any machine. The Xbox guys got it first, but the PC guys are going to have a much better version.

"This is definitely the best Fable PC - it's much better than Fable 1
Oh goodie! I love it when a dev needs a good knock down cut his ego down to size.

1st. Fable is a mediocre game. EOS.

The story is terrible standard mediocre Fantasy shit straight out of a box. The hero feels more on rails then that it may be a good idea. Even more of the black has been stripped from the story, making evil more a topical choice. The villain is trite and cliche, and we've seen way worse. The constant retconing of the series from 'heroes are made' to 'heroes are born' is annoying, since it takes away the idea that the only thing that stops people from being at your level is that your a better fighter then them. Instead, it gives the player a plot immunity.

At a certain level, you may win against EVERY OPPONENT SENT AT YOU, and then you magically fall over, 'exhausted'

One last thing,
I didn't get the option to kill certain people who I really wanted to.

COmbat: Glad to see your only skill is whining loudly Mike, I suggest you shut the hell up, and go back to designing something that isn't complete shit. Combat has lost what little it had left, and a sufficiently high magic or melee skill ends the game. The cool factor of items has been replaced by making the only weapons available 'legendary' as opposed to cool looking, one of the things I enjoyed in fable two.

The lack of death makes it so the player doesn't even have to think, but just mash buttons. I question the lack of a health bar, but combined with no reason to avoid death other then to get a achievement. In fact, this removes the importance of carrying health potions altogether, and I just sold everything sans weapons I wanted to possibly use.

Cosmetic changes: The changing from menu to room was something I enjoyed. Briefly. Then I heard the butler's incessant whining about new stuff to buy got to me. In fact, I enjoyed when you got into your room during the 'eeeevil sequence' and your hideout was covered in shadow gunk. Nice touch your coworkers who actually did their jobs put on. I only wish the butler had been taken with it when I got back from black poo land.

Racecarlock

Jul 10, 2010
Oh geez, here we go.
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_iYrhopY-rI4/SlO1UPd1qZI/AAAAAAAAGK8/ksbFcaXsGkk/s200/Wahmbulance.jpg

shaboinkin

Apr 13, 2008
Fable 2 was OK. The end of the game just flat out sucked though.

Fable 3 was..OK i guess. Nothing really changed from the second game apart from the story. Oh, and the being a king shit was so damn stupid. Was not fun having to buy out all the damn shops just so you can have enough money to save people. The end fight was stupid as well. But I didn't buy it, someone else did. So I didn't waste my money. They did. I just wasted my life.

Vredesbyrd67

Apr 20, 2009
Not my fault you don't know how to present a game, Mike. Nor is it my fault you don't understand what makes a good story in a video game. Stop acting like the worldwide gaming community is picking on you and start to accept criticism like an adult.

gyroscopeboy

Nov 27, 2010
Greg Tito said:
"This is definitely the best Fable PC - it's much better than Fable 1," West said.

Well, seeing as there was no PC version of the second game, that's a pretty short list.

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-05-17-making-a-better-fable-iii-for-pc-interview]

No, THIS is the best version of Fable on PC :D

I used to love this game haha...it had risque humour when i was a young 'un

AstylahAthrys

Apr 7, 2010
I loved Fable 3 and thought it was great. And I totally agree with the audio part, John Cleese, Stephen Fry and Simon Pegg were awesome and Michael Fassbender is positively delicious. The music was also pretty good. Though I really love the dress up and house decorating parts a lot, as well as all the exploration, I can see where the combat (where some people might think the game should really be focused on) isn't the best.

Also, give me another game where I can dress up as a purple chicken and kick chickens to death. Or where I can collect STDs. Or be a Queen with a beard. Or be insulted by random gnomes. It's the little things that make me like Fable III.