Facebook patents the word "Face"

Boneasse

Jul 16, 2008
If you want to use the word 'face' in the US, you will, in the future, have to be aware of the context in which you use it. If it is in connection with tele-communication, chat and texting between computers in a social or entertainment-network, you might have to think twice.

Facebook has applied to gain copyright trademark of the word 'Face' and they have now recieved a green light from the United States Patent Office (USPTO). All the social networking service needs to do, is pay a fee within three months.

However, other than this criteria, Facebook has to prove that they have a product bound to the word "Face" where the name 'Facebook' is not enough. They will have to apply for a "Statement of Use" [http://tarr.uspto.gov/servlet/tarr?regser=serial&entry=78980756], where they prove that they use the word ('face') in business correlations - within six months of having been granted the copyright trademark.

If they do that, however, there shouldn't be anything else stopping from actually owning a word. (In a sense. It might be slightly exaggareted, but this would mean that any website having the words 'face' in the name could get sued, depending on contents of the site. I.E: The facebook of sex).

So, how's that for a kick in the head, eh? Someone has actually been granted a copyright trademark over a word.

I thought it was crazy when apple tried to apply for the word 'Pod', but actually patenting a word as normal as face just seems crazy.

On a different note; if you could patent any word in the English dictionary, what would it be?

Sources: here [http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_technews/20101124/tc_yblog_technews/facebook-poised-to-trademark-the-word-face] and here [http://slashdot.org/story/10/11/24/2040247/Facebook-To-Own-the-Word-Face]

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
Geh... I'd patent 'Kicksled', I guess.

Also; lame that Facebook might own a word soon.

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
If they patent the word "face" then I might have to patent the word "stupid"
As in: Patenting the word "face" is completely fucking stupid!

SilverStrike

Jul 12, 2010
I'd copyright most common profanities so that A) I could make dosh off swearing and B) People might swear less so they can avoid me. Which makes the world nicer.

Unless people find alternative words for cursing..

Naeo

Dec 31, 2008
I would patent the word "the". It's the most common word in the English language, so I'd make something along the lines of a holy shitton of money off patenting it.

Wardnath

Dec 27, 2009
face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face
I hope I don't get banned for that.

Anyway, I think I'd copyright "epic". Or "fail". Or both.

Jharry5

Nov 1, 2008
I'd patent the word 'patent', so the next time something as stupid as this comes up, they'd owe me money.
Hopefully it'd stop this sort of thing...

Heart of Darkness

The final days of His Trolliness
Jul 1, 2009
Hopefully it doesn't pass. We don't need another Langdell fiasco, and "face" seems like it's more common than "edge," anyway.

Also, screw patenting words--I'm going to patent the letter "e," so now every time you use the letter "e" anywhere, you're going to owe me a nickle!

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
OP needs to show source

If this is true, then we have yet another example of the broken U.S. Patent system.

Taospark

Dec 4, 2009
To play Devil's Advocate here, I think it's more of a branding protection. They don't want anyone creating a social site or IM application with the word face in it which is standard procedure for any company with lots of value in brand recognition.

xmbts

Still Approved by Shock
Legacy
May 30, 2010
Country
United States
More proof facebook is trying to take over the world, one stupid thing at a time.

Anyway I would patent 'great', not for money, people will just have to think of me every time they say it.

Boneasse

Jul 16, 2008
zehydra said:
OP needs to show source

If this is true, then we have yet another example of the broken U.S. Patent system.
I did add a link for you to click? But if you missed it the first time around: http://tarr.uspto.gov/servlet/tarr?regser=serial&entry=78980756 - here you go.

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
Now I have another reason to hate Facebook. One more for the pile, I guess...

I'd patent the word "Fail". As in "Facebook trying to patent the word 'face' is fail." Considering how much the word is used on the internet, I'd make a fortune in about 12 hours.