Facebook patents the word "Face"

BRex21

Sep 24, 2010
this is more ridiculous than owning "you're fired". I guess though, that this will depend on how they use their patent.

lostzombies.com

Apr 26, 2010
Boneasse said:
If you want to use the word 'face' in the US, you will, in the future, have to be aware of the context in which you use it. If it is in connection with tele-communication, chat and texting between computers in a social or entertainment-network, you might have to think twice.

Facebook has applied to gain copyright of the word 'Face' and they have now recieved a green light from the United States Patent Office (USPTO). All the social networking service needs to do, is pay a fee within three months.

However, other than this criteria, Facebook has to prove that they have a product bound to the word "Face" where the name 'Facebook' is not enough. They will have to apply for a "Statement of Use" [http://tarr.uspto.gov/servlet/tarr?regser=serial&entry=78980756], where they prove that they use the word ('face') in business correlations - within six months of having been granted the copyright.

If they do that, however, there shouldn't be anything else stopping from actually owning a word.

So, how's that for a kick in the head, eh? Someone has actually been granted copyright over a word.

I thought it was crazy when apple tried to apply for the word 'Pod', but actually patenting a word as normal as face just seems crazy.

On a different note; if you could patent any word in the English dictionary, what would it be?
It's nothing so knee-jerk as this.

It's fair use copyright to stop companies making products with the idea to leach off facebook's customer base/repuation etc ie apple has released something (I forget the full name) recently which was called something like the faceroom etc...

there isn't anything bad about this, its just....you know.....business.

Diligent

Dec 20, 2009
Bastards didn't anticipate my upcoming social networking website project called Visagebook.
MASTER PLAN: FOILED.

Madara XIII

Sep 23, 2010
Diligent said:
Bastards didn't anticipate my upcoming social networking website project called Visagebook.
MASTER PLAN: FOILED.
Hehehe that would have worked Nicely!

BTW I Patent the word "CHAOS" seeing as how I am the epitome of it if I do say so myself.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
I petition to patent book, how do ya feel punk?
Patenting 'face?' Now that is really ridiculous!

StBishop

Sep 22, 2009
Damn, myfacespace.com will never take off now!

But, yeah. It's not really a big deal. It's similar to Apple patenting the prefix "i" for portable technology.

It stops people making FacePlace.com or MyFace.org etc. etc.

Hippobatman

Resident Mario sprite
Jun 18, 2008
Eh.. What?

It's just ridiculous.

Ok then, I will patent my name, so that everyone who would want to name their child that, would have to pay me royalties.

Sampsa

May 8, 2008
Why EA didn't get to own Edge and Apple Pod but Facebook did get their patent?

Daverson

Nov 17, 2009
Why not just patent the word patent, then you can sue anyone who patents anything for patent infringement! It's the perfect system! =D

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
It makes sense actually. It's not like you won't be able to use the word face anymore.
People just won't be able to make websites with the word used similarly to facebook.
ie. facelog.com or facejournal (I don't know if those are real or not).
It's so some guy doesn't go making a website with a similar name trying to lure people in by making them think facebook did it.

Darks63

Mar 8, 2010
So Eli Roth will have to pay up for the "ooohhh Faced" line in cabin fever now? hopefully:)

OT: dumb dumb dumb thing for them to do, dont they have enough money already without trying to shake people down for patent money?

JaredXE

Apr 1, 2009
If we are patenting the words for body parts, then there is nothing to stop me from patenting my........yeah........

FallenTraveler

Jun 11, 2010
Daverson said:
Why not just patent the word patent, then you can sue anyone who patents anything for patent infringement! It's the perfect system! =D
Genius. Absolute genius.

I do wonder what apple will do about facetime... they're kind of screwed eh?

I would patent the word "Large" either the restaurants change their menus and people still ask for larges, or they dont cange their menus... either way, I'm rich!!!!!