Fallout 4 is Real and Set in Boston, According to Leaked Documents

Josh Engen

Aug 19, 2013
Fallout 4 is Real and Set in Boston, According to Leaked Documents

A collection of leaked documents confirms that Bethesda is hard at work on Fallout 4.

Last week, fans of Bethesda's Fallout series had to double up on their blood pressure medication after a hoaxer revealed [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/130324-Fallout-4-Teaser-Site-Is-A-Hoax] that a Fallout 4 teaser site, thesurvivor2299.com, was fake. Today, however, the future doesn't seem quite as depressing for Fallout players, because we finally have a tangible piece of evidence for the existence of Fallout 4.

The folks over at Kotaku have obtained [http://kotaku.com/leaked-documents-reveal-that-fallout-4-is-real-set-in-1481322956] a collection of documents that are linked to a casting call for a project that's code-named Institute. The script in question doesn't contain any direct references to the Fallout series, but it is littered with familiar phrases and mentions several recognizable locales.

The documents also confirm a suspicion that has been swirling around the internet for over a year. Last August, reports that several Bethesda employees were snooping around Boston led gamers to suspect that the next Fallout title would be set in Massachusetts. The leaked script references a militia group called the Commonwealth Minutemen, and those of you who are familiar with Fallout mythology will remember that the Commonwealth is Massachusetts' post-apocalyptic moniker.

Obviously, this information shouldn't be confused with an official announcement from Bethesda, but maybe it'll be enough to cheer people up after last week's disappointment.

Source: Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/leaked-documents-reveal-that-fallout-4-is-real-set-in-1481322956]

Mr. Q

Apr 30, 2013
OK, at this point, we may have to kidnap a Bethesda employee or two and sweat the truth out of them. Last thing I want to see is more heartbreak from the fans after what that joker pulled with the viral marketing.

Spectrum_Prez

Aug 19, 2009
I would say odds are even right now that at least one of the 'hoax' and this leak of documents is part of Bethesda's hype strategy.
They are usually incredibly tight-fisted with information - remember how much of a surprise Skyrim was?

[adjusts tin-foil hat]

suitepee7

I can smell sausage rolls
Dec 6, 2010
at first, super fucking excited...

but then, the player says "war never changes"... unless i get to play as ron-motherfucking-perlman himself and he delivers every single one of my lines, i'm pissed.

ok, i'm still excited. please just do something official bethesda!!!

Spectrum_Prez

Aug 19, 2009
Wait a second, three things:
1. If this leak were to be real, this would be the first game where the player in a BGS game is voiced. That's already a huge change from prior practice.
2. Does this mean you can't set the player character's gender? Of course, they could be hiring two voice-actors like Mass Effect.
3. Based on the first point above and how big a change it would be, I'm now less certain this is genuine and more inclined that Kotaku is pulling our leg. Everything about the article smells fishy. The author claims the authenticity was confirmed as real, but then said BethSoft declined to comment. So how did you ascertain it was real?

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
Without reading the document I'm guessing MIT. And Boston would mean the Charles River. God damn it, more water. Ugh. Would be nice though if they used the smaller islands off the coast, including Fort Warren [http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/09/Georges_Island_and_Fort_Warren_in_Boston_Harbor.jpg].

Headsprouter

Monster Befriender
Legacy
Nov 19, 2010
Cool. But Boston? Oh, well. At least we can hope for water monsters besides Mirelurks.

I looked up images of the place and I find victims of the bombings. Fun.

I hope this place has some outskirts. I like wide open areas to explore. Overall, though, I'm hardly jumping out of my seat. Knew the game was being made, anyway...

McFazzer

Apr 22, 2012
Once bitten twice shy. I would love for this to be real, but I think it will be safer for me to keep my expectations low so I won't be getting my hopes up until official announcements.

SonOfMethuselah

Oct 9, 2012
Bullshit.
Sorry, too close to the hoax for me to believe anything related to Fallout 4. Especially "leaked" documents that break Bethesda's traditions, make no mention of Fallout in any direct way, and came from Kotaku.

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
Headsprouter said:
Cool. But Boston? Oh, well. At least we can hope for water monsters besides Mirelurks.

I looked up images of the place and I find victims of the bombings. Fun.

I hope this place has some outskirts. I like wide open areas to explore. Overall, though, I'm hardly jumping out of my seat. Knew the game was being made, anyway...
Problem is, there's a decent subway in Boston. Yeah, Fallout 3 players will know what I mean. There's the Red Line which goes out farther (including Cambridge), but I'm guessing the main focus of subway access will be on the more localized Green Line, which has tracks running onto street level.

Boston itself is very flat except for sporadic hills but that doesn't mean Bethesda can't just make stuff up. I'm hoping that, if Boston is the location, that they'll have small islands as "secret" locations for players to discover on their own.

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
A. Boston, oh goodie. For anyone not in the area, local news channels FREAK OUT whenever Boston is in the news in the world at large (Hell, every story they try to frame in 'how this affects Boston directly'). If this is real, we get to hear clueless news anchors prattling on about video games for months.

B. This is why I loved the Jimquisition calling for an end to the unnecessary secrecy in the video games industry. Why is Bethesda so hush-hush about this? Unsuccessfully trying to navigate their way around leaks and rumors and inquiries to save up for some "big reveal" is going to fall flat on its face even moreso than if they just said one day "Oh, hey we're working on Fallout 4 by the way. Look forward to more information later."

Genocidicles

Sep 13, 2012
If this is real (and I very much doubt it is), then I'm annoyed that the player character is the one doing the narration. It's supposed to be Ron Pearlman goddammit!

One good thing is that there appears to be no mention of the Brotherhood or Enclave. Maybe Bethesda is finally leaving them two behind like what was supposed to happen.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
Voiced player? That can't be right. Bethesda avoids that like the plaque.

Anyway, I don't think this is true. Or maybe I just hope it isn't true. The story sounds really bad, even by Bethseda's standards.

dragongit

Feb 22, 2011
Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice... unless Bethesda, releases an official trailer on their youtube page for Fallout 4, I will believe not a word of these leaks and rumors.

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
Boston is a nice city and all, but a) it's too similar to DC, b) the surrounding countryside is fairly bland as a source of inspiration, a problem that Fallout 3 also suffered from, c) it's probably still a little too soon after the bombings and the accompanying police siege to make a game about post-apocalypse Boston.

I would have gone with Denver or Dallas for a change of pace from East Coast/West Coast scene.