Fallout 4 lovin' thread

LetalisK

May 5, 2010
Bitter Hobbit said:
Not got the game yet (role on my birthday on Saturday) but one thing I have to know before I play. Are the Centaurs in this game? Those vile evil things scared the hell out of me in Fallout 3, seriously if I went to a place where I saw one then either it'd be the scariest parts for me, or even more extreme I'd load up a previous save and just avoid that area, even thinking about them now is making my skin crawl. Whoever designed these things well done sir, fantastic creepy monster, now go get your head examined.

Cheers guys.
I don't believe so. Super Mutants have mutated hounds as companions now, which just look like your garden variety demon hound.

Edit: Is anyone else starting to reach burnout status? Granted, I've been off for the last 4 days now and I've done nothing but play Fallout 4. I just see a lot of stuff where I think "Oh, a mod is going to make that so much better" and I think I should have let Fallout 4 marinate for a couple months before playing.

Odbarc

Elite Member
Jun 30, 2010
I recommend people go to Vault 81 and do the quest(s) there.
Because all vault's are strange and horrible and this one is absolutely normal and nothing weird is going on when you get there.

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
Hum my experience with the game is a bit more mixed then simply "loving it 100% and unconditionally" so won't be as saccharine as some others, but still a few things I like about the game which puts it above Fo3 in my book:

-Gunplay is fun now whereas it has been a consistent weakness in previous 1st person fallout games
-Mods are great, the logical continuation of what was started in new vegas
-Bayonets are awesome
-Thanks in part to settlement building, there's some value in random stuff you find when roaming, like a good scavenger you start looking out more for parts that have say..electronics, copper, gears and locks and ignore items that are just common wood or metal. I like the fact that im always on the lookout for certain materials like adhesives.
-There is fun to be had with settlement building, at least until you hit the object limit :/ Anyways its fun to make some areas of the map "yours" and claim your own little corners of land. Then have people live on them like you're some sort of feudal lord.

Edit: New ones:
-Ended up being pleasantly surprised by the factions, shame the endings aren't more detailed but I'm hoping mods will fix this..Well mods will fix everything!
-Companions are much better then in Fo3. Not that much of an accomplishment but still, even baby steps are better then none.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Odbarc said:
Because all vault's are strange and horrible and this one is absolutely normal and nothing weird is going on when you get there.
And I recommend going to Goodneighbor and turning on the Silver Shroud radio station. Not only is it some awesome radio goodness, but it opens up possibly my favorite mission series in the game so far. xD

Seriously, it's fucking sweet, go do it...now...right now...what are you waiting for?!

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
Gethsemani said:
I got to say that I am happy with the removal of skills. I just ran into my first Synth enemies and was overjoyed when I could pick up their shiny laser pistols and turn it on them (and every other thing that dares stand in my way) without having to worry about if I had the proper skill. For a game series that has become a lot about shiny loot and using cool stuff it just makes sense to ditch the barrier that forced players into multiple playthroughs if they wanted to use more then 1/5th of the weapons.

The revised armor system is really cool, I like being able to either use one "full set"-armor or using various smaller pieces that go on top of the Vault Suit/Military Fatigues/other cool piece of clothing. The crafting system has also been a highlight, striking a rather good balance between usability and busywork, not to mention it makes stuff look cool. Speaking of which, anyone know of a good source of screws?

Muspelheim said:
Question; Bolt Action Rifles. Are they in the game, and are they any good?
Yes and yes. The Hunting Rifle and Sniper Rifle both makes a return, but as variations on the basic Hunting Rifle (changing out parts makes it into either the "traditional" Hunting Rifle or the Sniper Rifle). I just hit level 10 and my Sniper Rifle is a beast at range, taking about 70%-100% of the HP of a raider with a head shot.

Muspelheim said:
And follow-up; how about swords
Haven't found one yet, but I have gotten a machete that's pretty nasty...
Swords are so last week. Axes are where it is at. I have found 1 of each (legendaries) so far

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
squid5580 said:
Gethsemani said:
I got to say that I am happy with the removal of skills. I just ran into my first Synth enemies and was overjoyed when I could pick up their shiny laser pistols and turn it on them (and every other thing that dares stand in my way) without having to worry about if I had the proper skill. For a game series that has become a lot about shiny loot and using cool stuff it just makes sense to ditch the barrier that forced players into multiple playthroughs if they wanted to use more then 1/5th of the weapons.

The revised armor system is really cool, I like being able to either use one "full set"-armor or using various smaller pieces that go on top of the Vault Suit/Military Fatigues/other cool piece of clothing. The crafting system has also been a highlight, striking a rather good balance between usability and busywork, not to mention it makes stuff look cool. Speaking of which, anyone know of a good source of screws?

Muspelheim said:
Question; Bolt Action Rifles. Are they in the game, and are they any good?
Yes and yes. The Hunting Rifle and Sniper Rifle both makes a return, but as variations on the basic Hunting Rifle (changing out parts makes it into either the "traditional" Hunting Rifle or the Sniper Rifle). I just hit level 10 and my Sniper Rifle is a beast at range, taking about 70%-100% of the HP of a raider with a head shot.

Muspelheim said:
And follow-up; how about swords
Haven't found one yet, but I have gotten a machete that's pretty nasty...
Swords are so last week. Axes are where it is at. I have found 1 of each (legendaries) so far
If you want a lore specific axe, go do the Silver Shroud stuff in Goodneighbor. You can get your hands on some very...unique equipment, if you are the axe wielding, loin cloth wearing, comic book namesaked kind of person. The weapon is so fun looking just based on the lore of it, that I'm seriously considering making a new character that is a Power Armor wearing, axe wielding melee freak that runs around like a Warhammer 40k character and smash all mutants.

Odbarc

Elite Member
Jun 30, 2010
Happyninja42 said:
Odbarc said:
And I recommend going to Goodneighbor and turning on the Silver Shroud radio station. Not only is it some awesome radio goodness, but it opens up possibly my favorite mission series in the game so far. xD

Seriously, it's fucking sweet, go do it...now...right now...what are you waiting for?!
Does it let me get rid of these weighted quest items I can't get rid of? I've got like 3~5 'Shroud' items I can't lose.
I've been heading there now but I keep getting sidetracked with areas I find along the way.

Warped to a spot which spawned a Glowing Deathclaw*.

Fieldy409_v1legacy

Oct 9, 2008
I like the new power armour system. It nicely solves the problems F3 and new vegas had with power armour being too easy to get, whilst still allowing us to find power armour in our wanders. But still letting power armour keep its potency from the original games.

Having to use aluminum to repair the good stuff sucks though! Am I the only one who tends to use the cheaper power armours for this reason?

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Fieldy409 said:
I like the new power armour system. It nicely solves the problems F3 and new vegas had with power armour being too easy to get, whilst still allowing us to find power armour in our wanders. But still letting power armour keep its potency from the original games.

Having to use aluminum to repair the good stuff sucks though! Am I the only one who tends to use the cheaper power armours for this reason?
Well, I imagine it stops being a problem when you've progressed past a certain level and you've got both the requisite svanging perk(s) and inventory space (plus a dumbass pack mule highly valued companion). :)

Aluminium's fine for repairing raider PA, while I think steel is required for others. The latter can be scavenged from almost any gun at the workshop, though, while aluminium junk is lightweight. If all else fails, grab those cans!

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
Dalek Caan said:
IceForce said:
Thane Krios voice actor Keythe Farley is in there as well. The character he voices is pretty much a AU-Human version of Krios. Kinda.
I'm recognizing a lot of Skyrim voices too. Dawnguard's Lord Harkon's voice is in there -- applied to yet another equally shady character. And I even heard that extremely distinctive 'generic male vampire' voice too, on a holotape.

Fieldy409_v1legacy

Oct 9, 2008
IceForce said:
Dalek Caan said:
IceForce said:
Thane Krios voice actor Keythe Farley is in there as well. The character he voices is pretty much a AU-Human version of Krios. Kinda.
I'm recognizing a lot of Skyrim voices too. Dawnguard's Lord Harkon's voice is in there -- applied to yet another equally shady character. And I even heard that extremely distinctive 'generic male vampire' voice too, on a holotape.
The Silver Shroud on the radio show sounds like the same VA as Lucien Lachance, though hes from the Dark Brotherhood in Oblivion rather than Skyrim.