Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Barbas said:
Cheeky snipples.
Hmm...

*rubs chin in wild wonder*

*Pulls out booklet of obscure references and witty replies*

*Flips fervently through pages*

Blast! (Pun most certainly intended)... Useless book, Leaving me out to dry!

*Eats book*

Well, we shall see how the reader's digest edition does. Ahah! Oh...oops, wasn't meant to come back here. You saw nothing!!

LetalisK

May 5, 2010
Happyninja42 said:
Objectable said:
Something that has been vastly improved in Fallout 4 over the other games: Feral Ghouls. Dear fucking lord, those things freak me out more than Deathclaws.
I know right?! Really all the wildlife is waaaay more deadly and terrifying. Radscorpions, holy fuck balls do radscorpions make me go "oh shit, not again!" each time they show up!
Amen to this point(though I haven't encountered any Radscorpions yet). The feral ghouls feel like legit killer zombies now and kinda freak me out. Even mole rats startle me with how they'll attack en masse from underground. "Phew, okay, I think they're all dead OH GOD THERE'S ONE BEHIND ME!"

Barbas said:
Muspelheim said:
NOTICE; Using console commands turns Steam Achievements OFF. At least it did in Skyrim. If you want your achievements, you need to close the game without saving once you're done, and reload the save you did before you used the console. You'll need a "clean" save, so to speak.
Changing the FOV didn't do that to my game. I think I changed it, saved and restarted the game, so it looks to me like it works the same as previous games in that regard.
...how did you change your FOV? Is it just the same as Fallout NV? Silly question, yes it is.

Edit: Also, a base question. Does the placement of defenses like turrets actually matter or is it just for racking up defense points so you don't get attacked?

Edit2: Dogmeat. There is a perk you can get where Dogmeat will attack an enemy and hold them in place so they are easier to hit. But...he is already doing that. Does the perk just increase the occurrence of this?

edit3: Protip for anyone starting the game. Want a laser rifle quick and easy with a bunch of ammo? Start trekking towards the center of the map early on(Cambridge). When you get the military distress call, answer it and do the ensuing quest. Early laser rifles with shit loads of ammo. I've always been a normal weapons guy, but the laser rifle is so powerful early on and with the amount of ammo they gave me it'd be stupid not to use it.

edit4: Noobtip for anyone starting the game. In that quick loot screen when you see armor pieces. That plus next to an armor piece doesn't mean it's an armor piece with some sort of fancy mod to it. It means that armor is an improvement in some way to what you have on. Awesome addition, though I wonder if I'm the only one that had that misconception.

Kaymish

The Morally Bankrupt Weasel
Sep 10, 2008
Fall out 4 is so awesome i love how bethesda changed the Power Armour mechanics finding the fusion cores brings out my Scrooge McDuck side and limits my use of it but thats compensated by the Power Armour being sooo great
and also you cant swim in it anymore i was going to clear out an area and there was a lake in my way and i didnt want to waste power core on going around the lake so i decided to swim across waded in and kept on walking across the bottom of the lake which is how Power Armour should be its way more dense than water it felt so cool to stride out of the bottom of the lake and thrash some ghouls
and speaking of ghouls the enemies are much better now i can see how mole rats would be a threat to the wastelanders they just pop out of nowhere and the way one can shoot the arms and legs off the ghouls is immensely satisfying i have on a few occasions shot the legs off one and as its been dragging itself towards me ive just shot it in the head with the trusty 10mm pistol
Also the dog is useful now though it sometimes reminds me of the dog from fable 3 and not in a good way
and the dialogue system is a bit weird i always seem to be looking at the back of the other persons head and sometimes the NPC just walks away in the middle of the conversation

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
LetalisK said:
Edit: Also, a base question. Does the placement of defenses like turrets actually matter or is it just for racking up defense points so you don't get attacked?

Edit2: Dogmeat. There is a perk you can get where Dogmeat will attack an enemy and hold them in place so they are easier to hit. But...he is already doing that. Does the perk just increase the occurrence of this?

edit3: Protip for anyone starting the game...want a laser rifle quick and easy with a bunch of ammo? Start trekking towards the center of the map early on(Cambridge). When you get the military distress call, answer it and do the ensuing quest. Early laser rifles with shit loads of ammo. I've always been a normal weapons guy, but the laser rifle is so powerful early on and with the amount of ammo they gave me it'd be stupid not to use it.
1. Never been attacked so far; my defense rating was too high. I think it'll probably help to use them with fences to funnel enemies into chokepoints, but building turrets gets your defense up quickly and painlessly without requiring power or people to man defenses. You should always keep your levels of food, water, power and defense at least as high as your population.

2. I think the perk might be for helping him pin and finish off enemies - doesn't he start off just briefly grabbing and biting them so they can't shoot?

3. There's also a laser rifle on the defensive wall outside the front of the police station, by the corpse.

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
KingsGambit said:
Also, as an FYI...the first nude mod appeared on FO4 Nexus, dated 12th Nov. A two day TTB (Time to Boobs) seems quite extraordinary in the absence of a toolset, but shouldn't be surprising.
The official dev/editing tools aren't required for texture/mesh mods. All you need is Photoshop with the DirectDraw Surface plugin installed, and a NIF mesh editor, and you're good to go.

FrozenLaughs

Sep 9, 2013
Barbas said:
LetalisK said:
edit3: Protip for anyone starting the game...want a laser rifle quick and easy with a bunch of ammo? Start trekking towards the center of the map early on(Cambridge). When you get the military distress call, answer it and do the ensuing quest. Early laser rifles with shit loads of ammo. I've always been a normal weapons guy, but the laser rifle is so powerful early on and with the amount of ammo they gave me it'd be stupid not to use it.
3. There's also a laser rifle on the defensive wall outside the front of the police station, by the corpse.
Even better, completing the next quest he gives you rewards you with an EVEN BETTER legendary laser rifle that honestly only needs a scope added to kick major ass. The quest also exposes you to the Institute, and you get to collect some of their shiny plastic laser weapons too!

LetalisK

May 5, 2010
This is the crappy part about playing a game on release: no good guides. So, here is my question to you guys, specifically about Piper's interview and subsequent events.

1. In the last question of the interview(words of advice for families of those that had been kidnapped(ie keep hope, go find those responsible and kill them, etc), what did you answer with?

2. After the interview had been printed, did you have a stand off between two brothers in Diamond City where one was killed by security?

mizushinzui

Apr 12, 2010
Me and my other half got the game at our local GAME store's midnight release, and it was well worth it. We got given so much free stuff, including the pretty standard free bobblehead but we also got the chips and deck of cards from new vegas and a free mask of Vault-Boy (which is terrifying by the way)

We've been taking turns playing it by the hour each and it's been really fun so far. We got it on PS4 and we've had very few bugs so far which is surprising, what's more surprising is that my friend got it on his PC which is by no means a top tier rig and he has had a very smooth game too for the most part, excluding a few frame rate issues.

Loving the new Stat system and the new gunplay, the only thing I have against the game is that it doesn't explain itself very well. Also I guess the conversation options could be a little better, I know they wanted to streamline it but they didn't need to make it quite so basic as it is.

Mike000

Nov 22, 2007
Xsjadoblayde said:
Weapon crafting is great, though i never have enough adhesive...bloody stickiness is hard to find these days.
Once you get your farm fully stocked, you can make the stuff at the cookfire.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
BloatedGuppy said:
Happyninja42 said:
2. It makes Radiation storms terrifying! Seriously, when one hit me out in the middle of nowhere, I was like "....oh sit, I have no shelter!!" Then I spent the time running around, trying to find some place to load into, and had to weigh the risk of assaulting a location just to get shelter, or just waiting out the storm. It was most intense! xD
I like radiation storms conceptually. It's just hard to not compare them to the emissions in STALKER.

O_O Holy shit, that was awesome. The music that was going with it! Damn I'm going to have to buy that game I think. xD

Comic Sans

DOWN YOU GO!
Oct 15, 2008
Country
United States
LetalisK said:
This is the crappy part about playing a game on release: no good guides. So, here is my question to you guys, specifically about Piper's interview and subsequent events.

1. In the last question of the interview(words of advice for families of those that had been kidnapped(ie keep hope, go find those responsible and kill them, etc), what did you answer with?

2. After the interview had been printed, did you have a stand off between two brothers in Diamond City where one was killed by security?
1. I just did that last night before leaving for work and haven't played since, but I picked the one that said not to lose hope. Not sure it makes a difference outside of the article, which Nat gives you if you talk to her after.

2. That happened to me beforehand, after I went to Valentine's office but before going to Piper's.

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
LetalisK said:
Comic Sans said:
2. That happened to me beforehand, after I went to Valentine's office but before going to Piper's.
[2] is set to trigger the second time you enter the Diamond City main outdoor area. Entering one of the (separately-loaded) building interiors and coming back out again counts as a 'second' visit to the area, and will trigger the scene. Nothing else has an effect on it.

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
Sooo, how many people are going for the 'Sarcastic' dialogue options? The only trouble is, those options make a female player character basically sound exactly like Jack from Mass Effect. (Same VA, you see. And the 'Sarcastic' options often sound exactly like things that Jack would say.)

LetalisK

May 5, 2010
IceForce said:
Sooo, how many people are going for the 'Sarcastic' dialogue options? The only trouble is, those options make a female player character basically sound exactly like Jack from Mass Effect. (Same VA, you see. And the 'Sarcastic' options often sound exactly like things that Jack would say.)
Speaking of VA, I would like to take back my previous statements about the male VA work. I don't know if I warmed up to it or if it got better, but I like it quite a bit more now.

On an unrelated topic, is it just Piper or are companions really bad with ballistic weapons? I watched with utter dismay as Piper couldn't hit any of the ghouls rushing us with the suped up combat rifle I gave her. I watched as every shot from her created a little poof of dust behind them. But if I give her a laser pistol it's all good since she doesn't have to lead. Not to mention Danse cleared whole rooms by himself during our mission.

Edit: I take it back, Piper still kinda sucks. Is there anyway to make her decent at gunplay or is she just doomed to suck? One idea I have is I don't think companions ever aim down the sights, so giving them a weapon with really high hip fire accuracy might help?

DeimosMasque

I'm just a Smeg Head
Jun 30, 2010
IceForce said:
Yeah if I knew Courtenay Taylor was the VA when I was making the character she would have a shaved head and called Jack

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
undeadsuitor said:
IceForce said:
ooooooooh yes. top that off with Cait [https://41.media.tumblr.com/01090e3edd38c781a902914a916ea21f/tumblr_nxqew4THoo1r8qoyoo1_1280.jpg] looking almost exactly like femshep, and there being a hairstyle that looks almost exactly like Jack's Mass Effect 3 hairstyle and I've been having a lot of mass effect fun.
DeimosMasque said:
IceForce said:
Yeah if I knew Courtenay Taylor was the VA when I was making the character she would have a shaved head and called Jack
Oh, but that's not all...

Turns out that Garrus's voice is in it too. Fucking Garrus!

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
LetalisK said:
IceForce said:
Speaking of VA, I would like to take back my previous statements about the male VA work. I don't know if I warmed up to it or if it got better, but I like it quite a bit more now.

On an unrelated topic, is it just Piper or are companions really bad with ballistic weapons? I watched with utter dismay as Piper couldn't hit any of the ghouls rushing us with the suped up combat rifle I gave her. I watched as every shot from her created a little poof of dust behind them. But if I give her a laser pistol it's all good since she doesn't have to lead. Not to mention Danse cleared whole rooms by himself during our mission.

Edit: I take it back, Piper still kinda sucks. Is there anyway to make her decent at gunplay or is she just doomed to suck? One idea I have is I don't think companions ever aim down the sights, so giving them a weapon with really high hip fire accuracy might help?
If it's anything the like previous games, then your follower's 'chance to hit' is calculated the same way chances in VATS is calculated. ie: it's based off their attribute points and perks. (And since Piper is a journalist and not a fighter per se, then it's possible she might just suck at combat, period.)

Don't take this as gospel, but I've heard that giving your follower a melee weapon can help alleviate this problem, since a quirk of VATS means that melee 'chance to hit' is always 95% regardless of stats/attributes. All they have to be is close enough to hit them, (which yes, presents a problem in itself, because then they'll rush in and get in the way of your own shots).

LetalisK

May 5, 2010
IceForce said:
LetalisK said:
IceForce said:

If it's anything the like previous games, then your follower's 'chance to hit' is calculated the same way chances in VATS is calculated. ie: it's based off their attribute points and perks. (And since Piper is a journalist and not a fighter per se, then it's possible she might just suck at combat, period.)

Don't take this as gospel, but I've heard that giving your follower a melee weapon can help alleviate this problem, since a quirk of VATS means that melee 'chance to hit' is always 95% regardless of stats/attributes. All they have to be is close enough to hit them, (which yes, presents a problem in itself, because then they'll rush in and get in the way of your own shots).
That would explain why Dogmeat is such a badass: natural meleer that is small enough to shoot over. Realistically, I should go with a melee companion since I'm a sniper. Everything outside dies before my companion can help anyway and keeping those ghouls busy inside actually helps a lot.

Now if only we could see the companions' stats so I could set them up properly.