Fallout 4 lovin' thread

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
I've been loving this game. Some weird glitches as usual but nothing game breaking so far. Settlement building can be a bit wonkey but I greatly prefer its presence to absence.

Can't wait to play it some more.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Random crafting/settlement tip: farm mutfruit, corn and tatos. You can cook them together with purified water to make vegetable starch which breaks down into adhesive, the most important rare material for weapon crafting. Farming these is providing me an infinite amount of a relatively rare material. Now I just need a good method of obtaining oil and aluminum...

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
Happyninja42 said:
I'm enjoying the hell out of it so far. I really love a particular bug I've run into, that has actually increased my immersion in the game.

I can't fast travel.
This has been the case with every Bethesda game since Oblivion. Fast traveling utterly destroys the game. I actually hated Oblivion and FO3 until I figured this out, and since then I virtually never do it, even for backtracking from quests.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
BloatedGuppy said:
Happyninja42 said:
I'm enjoying the hell out of it so far. I really love a particular bug I've run into, that has actually increased my immersion in the game.

I can't fast travel.
This has been the case with every Bethesda game since Oblivion. Fast traveling utterly destroys the game. I actually hated Oblivion and FO3 until I figured this out, and since then I virtually never do it, even for backtracking from quests.
I prefer the way Morrowind handled it. Fast travelling was actually a lore-friendly mechanic where you had to take boats, striders and use teleportation spells to get around. Because every boat/strider had specific destination options and teleportation spells could only bring you to a location you marked or the closest temple/church, you had to carefully chart out your travel routes. You still had to do plenty of walking once you made it to a fast travel location too, as they were almost always in populated areas - not anywhere near the dungeon you needed to find.

I would be fine in F4 with no fast travel if they made inventory management a lot easier to deal with and you didn't get a bunch of random settlement quests all the time that send you across the map.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
Fappy said:
I prefer the way Morrowind handled it. Fast travelling was actually a lore-friendly mechanic where you had to take boats, striders and use teleportation spells to get around. Because every boat/strider had specific destination options and teleportation spells could only bring you to a location you marked or the closest temple/church, you had to carefully chart out your travel routes. You still had to do plenty of walking once you made it to a fast travel location too, as they were almost always in populated areas - not anywhere near the dungeon you needed to find.

I would be fine in F4 with no fast travel if they made inventory management a lot easier to deal with and you didn't get a bunch of random settlement quests all the time that send you across the map.
Any kind of rapid travel, even "lore friendly" travel, fundamentally shrinks the world. This has been the case as long as we've HAD game worlds, I remember having this debate over recall runes in Ultima freakin' Online. Blizzard finally learned their lesson and have been banishing flying mounts from every new expansion. They're LORE FRIENDLY, but they remove you from the world. Instead of experiencing content, you bypass it completely.

When 90% of the appeal of your products is world-building, as it is in Bethesda's titles, skipping past it just destroys player investment. You can certainly argue that stuff like quest back-tracking tedium and/or inventory management nightmares make this problematic, and they do...but those elements are symptomatic of the disease that is fast traveling.

I realize you can't strip it out without punishing people who have limited time to play, and for some people deciding to never fast travel might seem like it's caused by some disease of the brain, but the games would be well served by design that kept you out in the world exploring instead of bopping between points. Inventory overloaded? Strap some packs full of stuff to your dog or companion and send them back to your base! Quest complete? Call the quest giver on a radio! But we have fast travel, so it's just "Meh they'll just do that all the time". Sucks.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Fappy said:
BloatedGuppy said:
Happyninja42 said:

I can't fast travel.

That's why the supply line between your settlements is very handy. Once you have those in place (By having Charisma 6 and getting the 2nd rank of Town Leader perk), it links all your workshop inventories together. Which means you can freely dump your stuff from one town to the next without any problems, and it will all be connected.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Bix96 said:
Muspelheim said:
Question; Bolt Action Rifles. Are they in the game, and are they any good? And follow-up; how about swords?

Rather specific demands, but I really want those two things. :<
I bought a Chinese Officer's sword from the gun store in Diamond City they seem to stock it pretty regularly. Haven't found any in world though.
So I went to the Castle to scout for a good settlement location...fair warning bring lots of ammo and stimpaks the place is infested with very tough mirelurks it took me nearly two hours and many deaths to clear.
There is a quest from a particular community where the guy asks you to recover his grandfather's sword from some raiders. I forget the name of the quest specifically, but there is an optional quest to it to convince his son to come back to the community as well. That's the only in game reference I've seen to a sword since I started playing.

Mar 30, 2010
Parasondox said:
Grouchy Imp said:
Parasondox said:
Hotplates and lightbulbs contain copper, but the easiest way is to unlock the Scrapper perk (Int 5 required) as you then get copper from scrapped weapons and you finally have a use for all those pipe pistols that litter the Wasteland like, well, litter.
Thank you. I do go pass so many hotplates. I do need to get the perk on my next level up. I am too into my settlement.
Nae bother. I'm really focused on my towns too, using my last three levels to raise my charisma to the point I can get the Local Leader perk so that I can build merchant caravans for my settlements. :)

Objectable

Oct 31, 2013
Something that has been vastly improved in Fallout 4 over the other games: Feral Ghouls. Dear fucking lord, those things freak me out more than Deathclaws.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Objectable said:
Something that has been vastly improved in Fallout 4 over the other games: Feral Ghouls. Dear fucking lord, those things freak me out more than Deathclaws.
I know right?! Really all the wildlife is waaaay more deadly and terrifying. Radscorpions, holy fuck balls do radscorpions make me go "oh shit, not again!" each time they show up!

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Happyninja42 said:
I can't fast travel.

At first, this was really damn annoying, and then I realized 2 things.

1. It actually makes establishing tradelines between my settlements an important feature, giving me access to my crafting supplies anywhere. Instead of just being able to teleport back to Sanctuary real fast and whip up whatever I want.

2. It makes Radiation storms terrifying! Seriously, when one hit me out in the middle of nowhere, I was like "....oh sit, I have no shelter!!" Then I spent the time running around, trying to find some place to load into, and had to weigh the risk of assaulting a location just to get shelter, or just waiting out the storm. It was most intense! xD
I've actually just decided not to fast travel and it has been great. The map is densely packed so I haven't had the need to do anything that dramatic. I do feel a lot more invested in the game now and I have a much better understanding of my surroundings.

As for your thoughts on Momma May, I agree, entirely emersion breaking.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
Happyninja42 said:
2. It makes Radiation storms terrifying! Seriously, when one hit me out in the middle of nowhere, I was like "....oh sit, I have no shelter!!" Then I spent the time running around, trying to find some place to load into, and had to weigh the risk of assaulting a location just to get shelter, or just waiting out the storm. It was most intense! xD
I like radiation storms conceptually. It's just hard to not compare them to the emissions in STALKER.

Objectable

Oct 31, 2013
Lightknight said:
Happyninja42 said:
I can't fast travel.

At first, this was really damn annoying, and then I realized 2 things.

1. It actually makes establishing tradelines between my settlements an important feature, giving me access to my crafting supplies anywhere. Instead of just being able to teleport back to Sanctuary real fast and whip up whatever I want.

I've actually just decided not to fast travel and it has been great. The map is densely packed so I haven't had the need to do anything that dramatic. I do feel a lot more invested in the game now and I have a much better understanding of my surroundings.

As for your thoughts on Momma May, I agree, entirely emersion breaking.
I love the revamped radiation in general. It feels so much more terrifying than the last few times around

Apr 5, 2008
Great game, having so much fun with it. I have a few criticisms:

- Since junk is now vital to crafting, I'm spending an absolutely inordinate amount of time scouring every nook and cranny for junk, hitting my weight limit and struggling to get it back to a workshop.
- As for workshops, with the emphasis on crafting and settlement building, an extremely high amount of time is spent there...pretty much for every one mission or outing, an equal amount of time is spent sorting loot, crafting mats, etc.
- Buy/Sell prices. Holy shit, the disparity is nuts. If I buy an item from the vendor for 400 caps, I sell it to them for 11 caps. No one has more than a few hundred caps tops and there are very few vendors around the place. The difference between buy and sell prices is tremendous tho and makes getting caps much harder.
- Scaling what ought to be "fixed" loot. I was reading about how to get the X-01 power armour, so spent tons of time, ammo and resources making my way to the abandoned shack in the SW of the map. When I get there I learn it's only an X-01 after level 30-40. At my level, it's a T-45 which I already got for free in Concord. RAAAH.
- The console controls. At least in conversation, it's quite horrid playing it on PC. Also, there's no RP any more in convos. You either proceed with the dialogue chain, or you don't. No branching.

The positives:
- It's so much fun. It's a joy to be in the commonwealth, my trusty canine companion beside me. I love finding new weapons.
- Exploration. I don't think the map is as big as previous games but it's a bit richer and right now at least, new.
- I like the armour pieces, rather than the single outfit. It reminds me of Morrowind and has a cool look.
- Combat is fun, the weapons are varied and the mods make nice differences to the weapons.
- I like that I have my own "base" that I put together, barricaded, etc.

A lot of fun. Anyway, why am I typing here when I should be playing it?

Apr 5, 2008
Also, as an FYI...the first nude mod appeared on FO4 Nexus, dated 12th Nov. A two day TTB (Time to Boobs) seems quite extraordinary in the absence of a toolset, but shouldn't be surprising.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Not reading thread due to the philosophy of "lalala spoilers," but seeing as love is seemingly a rare trait on this site, it is good to add to the love...pot? Anymoohoo...I powered my first TV!! Ahah...small beginnings, lead to big...err, middles and huge ends! Weapon crafting is great, though i never have enough adhesive...bloody stickiness is hard to find these days. I like my lady character's playful voice and industrial threads. Seperate clothing options for limbs? Yes please...time to screw with fashion yet again. Settlement building, oh my dear sheep need their shephard to protect them from the wolves in the woods! I wish i could curb these excited words, but there is energy that needs to go somewhere...so have some, escapist...it is free of charge (hm, was that intentional a pun?). Free of charge at least...at least for the first taste. Must go now...my flock are calling. And by "flock," i mean "voices," and when i say "calling," i really mean "screaming violently in agony." Toodlehoo, spoilery-poo!!

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Xsjadoblayde said:
it is good to add to the love...pot?
Indeed, but somewhat difficult in the cold, sterile atmosphere of a hospital waiting area.[footnote]What do you mean, "there's a room for that"? Do I look like I've got time to go questing around the building like Indianapolis Effing Jones to find it???[/footnote]

KingsGambit said:
Also, as an FYI...the first nude mod appeared on FO4 Nexus, dated 12th Nov. A two day TTB (Time to Boobs) seems quite extraordinary in the absence of a toolset, but shouldn't be surprising.
LOL, then I guess someone in the community's not been putting their toolset to enough productive use recently.

[small][sub]Oh Jesus, I'm so depressed...[/sub][/small]

Robots are not to be jerked around with in this game; I sprayed one with bullets and they just pinged off it for the most part. I love that they're a considerably more sturdy and credible threat than they were in the last game. And as for their armaments...wow. Danger, danger, Dr Smith.

Rack

Jan 18, 2008
Little things I'm loving is all the new animations. Feral Ghouls are awesome in the degree they'll keep coming at you with limbs blasted off and the gunplay is much improved by enemies needing to move about rather than just sliding everywhere at top speed. The new radiation system is great as well, radiation now feels like a huge deal and you don't want to be irradiated even a little.

Muspelheim

Apr 7, 2011
I've got a little tip for taking some neat screenshots on PC. I haven't tested them on Fallout 4, but it's worked on all other Bethesda games before. It'd be odd if Fallout 4 was different.

Go somewhere scenic and go into third person camera. Save the game. This is important, if you want to earn achievements. And it's a newly-launched title, so you're best off save-vigilant anyway.

Bring up the command console. The default is the ~-button, the one on the top left under ESC. The button can be a bit different depending on the keyboard (it's § on mine, oddly), but the mapping will work.
You'll see a text input row at the left bottom of the screen. That's where you type the commands, and push Enter.

Type in "tfc" (without quotation marks), which means "toggle free camera". Press enter, and you can move the camera around without moving your character. Typing "tfc" and pushing enter again will reset it.

Next, type in "tm", which means "Toggle menues". This will turn off the UI, so you can photograph without it on-screen. It might also toggle the console display off. Don't worry, it's still there, just type "tm" and push enter again and it'll be back.

Move your camera where you want it and take the snaps. Re-enable menues and character camera once you're done.

NOTICE; Using console commands turns Steam Achievements OFF. At least it did in Skyrim. If you want your achievements, you need to close the game without saving once you're done, and reload the save you did before you used the console. You'll need a "clean" save, so to speak.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Muspelheim said:
NOTICE; Using console commands turns Steam Achievements OFF. At least it did in Skyrim. If you want your achievements, you need to close the game without saving once you're done, and reload the save you did before you used the console. You'll need a "clean" save, so to speak.
Changing the FOV didn't do that to my game. I think I changed it, saved and restarted the game, so it looks to me like it works the same as previous games in that regard.