Fallout 4 Trademarked By Bethesda

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Fallout 4 Trademarked By Bethesda

Bethesda recently trademarked Fallout 4 in Europe, giving credibility to the rumors that the game may soon be announced.

We all know that Bethesda is probably working on Fallout 4, but it may be closer than we think. Earlier in the week, we saw a mysterious website [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/129650-Rumor-Bethesda-Teases-Next-Fallout-With-New-Website-UPDATED] surface, seemingly teasing a new Fallout game with a countdown timer. Adding credibility to those rumors, Bethesda has recently trademarked the Fallout 4 name in Europe.

Normally, this would be a fairly inconsequential thing, but it's occurrence just after that website popped up has set of a couple of alarm bells. The Spike VGX are just around the corner, and considering Bethesda hasn't been working on Skyrim since last April, as well as the website's countdown ending in December, it seems like everything is sliding into place.

The last time we heard about the studio's "new project," they said it was "looking awesome," but failed to give any kind of timeframe on when we may see it (or even when we may find out what kind of game it is).

Either way, it looks like Fallout fans can be cautiously optimistic about this one. Fallout: New Vegas, the last Fallout game, was released back in 2010, and was outsourced to Obsidian Entertainment instead of the core Bethesda team.

Source: Destructoid [http://www.destructoid.com/trademark-surfaces-for-fallout-4-in-europe-265866.phtml]

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
Would have loved it to have been outsourced to Obsidian again, New Vegas was wonderful and the moral choices really made you think! But that's only my preference, I love Fallout 3 as well.... just not as much!

Edited to try and stop flame war but you know.....
War, war never changes

CharrHearted

Aug 20, 2010
Everyone prepare for a terrible story, lifeless/soulless characters and an ending that doesn't change depending on your actions! Because that's exactly what's expected of Bethesda today...

X_X Fallout 4 might just suck.

TKretts3

Jul 20, 2010
Considering how good Fallout 3, the last Fallout made by Bethesda, I have high hopes for Fo4. My main curiosity for this is where the game will take place. I think it would be really nifty if the map, or at least part of it, had an area really dense with skyscrapers. I've always wondered how a nuclear wasteland would be in a big urban metropolis.

CharrHearted said:
an ending that doesn't change depending on your actions!
... And that's a bad thing?

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
CharrHearted said:
Everyone prepare for a terrible story, lifeless/soulless characters and an ending that doesn't change depending on your actions! Because that's exactly what's expected of Bethesda today...

You're right, Skyrim and Fallout 3 fucking SUCKED, and I sunk over a hundred hours into both of them just to make sure they SUCKED in every facet of their amazing, huge, immersive worlds!

CharrHearted

Aug 20, 2010
Steven Bogos said:
CharrHearted said:

You're right, Skyrim and Fallout 3 fucking SUCKED, and I sunk over a hundred hours into both of them just to make sure they SUCKED in every facet of their amazing, huge, immersive worlds!
Lets not start a flame thread, mentlegen.

If you want to discuss about it, hand me a PM.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
It has been mentioned already, but bugs aside, I think a lot of people would be happy for it to be outsourced to Obsidian again. While I preferred the map of Fallout 3, most of the changes introduced in New Vegas were for the better by far, especially in the story/character department.

Hopefully Bethesda will simply improve on that, rather than simply copy the basics of Fallout 3.

I very much hope it is announced for next year, Fallout is one of my favourite series and if it does come out soon, I will have enough games to justify getting a new computer.

CharrHearted

Aug 20, 2010
TKretts3 said:
Considering how good Fallout 3, the last Fallout made by Bethesda, I have high hopes for Fo4. My main curiosity for this is where the game will take place. I think it would be really nifty if the map, or at least part of it, had an area really dense with skyscrapers. I've always wondered how a nuclear wasteland would be in a big urban metropolis.

CharrHearted said:
an ending that doesn't change depending on your actions!
... And that's a bad thing?
Well multiple endings are great to have, if you want to follow your own ideals, instead of a stock single ending from an anticlimatic horrible "final boss" (Looking at you, skyrim)

(If you wanna discuss further, like i said before, PM'S)

seule

Jul 21, 2008
I've loved everything Fallout since the first game. Ask me to choose which is my favourite the answer is : I can't, and I don't want to.

For all the flaws in every game, I've always loved the setting and had a ridiculous amount of fun in every iteration (and modding the everloving bejesus out of the last 2). If Fallout 4 is just around the corner, all I can really say is: bring it on, I'm ready for more.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
I'll probably wait for the one after that unless Bethesda have somehow managed to learn how to do story. I have Wasteland 2 and Torment coming, the wait won't be hard.

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
putowtin said:
Would have loved it to have been outsourced to Obsidian again
For one of the numbered titles? No way Bethesda would let that go to anyone but their own development division (Bethesda Games Studios). As far as they're concerned that would be like letting an external developer do a major TES game. Best hope for fans of Obsidian flavoured Fallout is that once FO4 is released and the BGS crew switch over to TES development that Bethesda Softworks will greenlight another non-numbered Fallout title and contract Obsidian to develope it.

Hawkeye21

Oct 25, 2011
Meh... I'll wait and see before getting excited about this. I doubt I would enjoy it better than F:NV.

putowtin said:
Would have loved it to have been outsourced to Obsidian again
So would I, but Obsidian was basically shafted and cheated by Zenimax out of their justly deserved royalties, and I doubt they would want to have anything to do with each other ever again. That was a shitty move on Zenimax part, considering that NV sold better than F3.

schrodinger

Jul 19, 2013
Yay~ More Fallout is potentially on the way

Can't we stop the FO3 vs FO:NV argument already?

No? Ok...

What I want for the next Fallout is to have a combination of FO3 and FO:NV so both sides can stop bitching and semi enjoy the game.

walrusaurus

Mar 1, 2011
My big issue with fallout three was the charecter progression. There was no effort at all to balance any of the perks against one another, so you had 3 or 4 that were mandatory/overpowered and almost all of the rest of them were borderline useless. Same thing with the skills. Energy weapons and power armor so vastly outclassed everything else it was rediculous. There needs to be some kind of drawback to them if their going to be so far off curve.

lancar

Aug 11, 2009
I just hope it's not an MMO. Or a tablet game.

(I wonder when the industry started making think those two game types were a curse on all that is good.)

Talvrae

The Purple Fairy
Dec 8, 2009
If it's developed by Bethesda and not obsidian... not interested... Fallout 3 wasnt a Fallout they missed the mark

james.sponge

Mar 4, 2013
walrusaurus said:
My big issue with fallout three was the charecter progression. There was no effort at all to balance any of the perks against one another, so you had 3 or 4 that were mandatory/overpowered and almost all of the rest of them were borderline useless. Same thing with the skills. Energy weapons and power armor so vastly outclassed everything else it was rediculous. There needs to be some kind of drawback to them if their going to be so far off curve.
That's why we need to go back to F1/2 dice rolls, you may had power armor and all cool implants but that rat could still hit you critically in the eyes for 200 damage :p, never happened to me but once my lvl 23 char in miltary armor got instantly killed by a raider with a puny SMG O.O