Fallout 4: Want, needs, and things that aren't needed

Lucky Godzilla

Oct 31, 2012
My bigest complaint for the Fallout series (well the FPS ones anyways) is the rather shoddy gunplay.

Seriously it's terrible, the game stands entirely on its atmosphere and sense of exploration, not it's gameplay which is a damn shame. Aside from the way gunplay controls, I'd like more feedback. I don't want to shoot a guy four times in the head to no effect.

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
Ultratwinkie said:
Yet FEV was just in its infantile state, and moved by force that all experiments be done in mariposa only. Its a war chemical done in secret, not put inside a tiny vault of 1,000 people max. FEV was biological warfare, and doesn't fit the isolated living experiments the vaults did.
FEV was deigned by the government to be used for super solider testing, which is what a crap ton of the other vault experiments were working on also.

It makes sense that they would want to test multiple strains of FEV, in multiple locations, across the nation, in order to find out which one provided the best results, and to make sure if one site was destroyed in the war they wouldn't lose everything, and the fact they had an entire vault system, many of which were designed to test other methods to get the same result, makes using one of the vaults for FEV testing a blatantly obvious idea.

Its called not putting all of your eggs in one basket, and an incredibly basic thing to do during scientific testing.

randomrob1968

Sep 26, 2011
DO NOT WANT:

NPC's repeating their greeting over and over.

Clusterf*ck of NPCs all repeating their greetings at the same time.

Annoying children.

DO WANT:

NPC reactions when you walk away from them in mid-sentence.
NPC reactions when you dump half your inventory in their house, etc.
Reactions when you draw a weapon. (they hardly bother with this anymore)

I think in general NPC scripting should revolve around how much attention the character gives the NPC, not vice-versa.
Someone says they're thirsty, you get them some water, they thank you and talk a little bit. Like, they don't give you a job unless another NPC in town can vouch for you for something you did for them, etc. It'd be neat if those things could be more organic, and less of the 'you got within 5 feet of me, so here's my life story and could you please deliver this _____ to my _______ in _________? '

t00bz

Feb 23, 2009
Smeatza said:
I want Fallout 4 to be developed by Obsidian.
I NEED Bethesda to retcon their changes to the lore.
Another Elder Scrolls with guns (a la Fallout 3) is not needed.
You mad, bro? :p

Obsidian has a rather nasty habit of putting out half finished games that are buggy to hell and back. Hell, I remember not being able to play Fallout: New Vegas for more than 30 minutes because it was constantly crashing/freezing, so I'd rather not have them make the next one unless they bug test the f*ck out of the game before release day.

As for the retcons, I only started playing Fallout after 3 came out, (I can't play the first two. I've tried to get into them and they just aggravate me) so I can't really say anything good/bad in that regard.

I can agree that f3 had some minor/major flaws, depending on your opinion, but I think Bethesda has made efforts to make these games as enjoyable as possible. Are they the same as the old games? No, but that might not be a bad thing.

SamtheDeathclaw

Aug 8, 2009
SajuukKhar said:
FEV was deigned by the government to be used for super solider testing, which is what a crap ton of the other vault experiments were working on also.

It makes sense that they would want to test multiple strains of FEV, in multiple locations, across the nation, in order to find out which one provided the best results, and to make sure if one site was destroyed in the war they wouldn't lose everything, and the fact they had an entire vault system, many of which were designed to test other methods to get the same result, makes using one of the vaults for FEV testing a blatantly obvious idea.

Its called not putting all of your eggs in one basket, and an incredibly basic thing to do during scientific testing.
What are these "crap ton" of other vaults that are trying to make supersoldiers? There's one, that I can think of, the one with the white noise. (I forget the number.) In Bethesda's game. So, uh, arguing they didn't change lore by pointing out lore in the same game doesn't really work. In all other games, it's about testing how people interact in close quarters under various (imperfect, typically) circumstances for varying periods of time. Though, some seem to just be for sadism, but still.

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
Ultratwinkie said:
FEV was tested on Americans in secret. In cities. Not vaults. Vaults weren't filled before the war, so the testing for a weapon in the old world wouldn't be tested until it ended.

And vaults were doing super soldier testing?

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Vault

I guess that vault 70 was meant for super-mormons. Oh wait they weren't. These were all social experiments with a special case of vault 22, which was there because big mountain didn't tell the whole story of the technology they were selling and made big promises.
And all the tests of the vault program wouldn't be started until the world ended... you point?

Yes, social experiments so that The Enclave could use the data collected to make themselves better, aka making themselves into super-men, aka super-soldiers, so they could conquer the new world for themselves via their own betterment, and through social manipulation.

SamtheDeathclaw said:
What are these "crap ton" of other vaults that are trying to make supersoldiers? There's one, that I can think of, the one with the white noise. (I forget the number.) In Bethesda's game. So, uh, arguing they didn't change lore by pointing out lore in the same game doesn't really work. In all other games, it's about testing how people interact in close quarters under various (imperfect, typically) circumstances for varying periods of time. Though, some seem to just be for sadism, but still.
Pretty much all of them.

The entire vault program was made to test the limits of mankind under various circumstances to see how they would adapt and change so that The Enclave could use that data to better themselves and rebuild easier in a post apocalyptic world.

Social, physical, and metal betterment in order to for the Enclave to make themselves the perfect humans.

BlumiereBleck

Dec 11, 2008
If it's set in the West Coast...more Legion Quests. If East Coast, I would prefer it be in the Commonwealth. A more fluid gameplay, better story, companions that aren't annoying (I'm looking at you Boone), more well rounded characters, for guns to actually kill people when you shoot them, and for the love of god, please let it take place in a ruined city....I got so tire of looking at brown and grey in Fallout 3 and light brown and orange with New Vegas.

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
BlumiereBleck said:
I would prefer it be in the Commonwealth..
There is no doubt in my mind that it will be.

Bethesda has a habit of teasing what their next game will be
-Elder Scrolls Redguard showed the names of Morrowind and Oblivion, when flying by a bookshelf in the opening cutscene.
-Morrowind had Wulf, cultists, and a Skall shaman talk about the death of the empire, and the opening of gates to Oblivion.
-Oblivion had the Blades say they would wait for the next Dragonborn.
-Fallout 3 mentioned The Commonwealth in the base game via Zimmer, in The Pitt via Ashur, in Broken Steel as being were Doctor Li went, and Point Lookout as being a place the girl from the Abby of the Road went to.

Given Bethesda's past history with hint dropping, and The Commonwealth's constant mentions across the base game and DLC, its highly likely its going to be were Fallout 4 is.

SilverLion

May 11, 2013
This won't make it into 4, due to how late into development it is, but for the next Fallout game?
Move out of America.
I'd really like to see how other countries fared in the nuclear war. Not only would it give us some much needed outside perspective, you could go pretty much anywhere, one examples being Australia. With all the Mad Max references in the series this is probably what I'd find best suited. Also, since Australia is already a desolate wasteland (trust me, I know) it would be fun to play the No Man's Land of the apocylapse. Also, since it's a completely different continent, they'd have to come up with completely new canon elements: No NCR, no Super Mutants, probably no Vaults; It would be hard yes, but totally worth it.

HanFyren

Dec 19, 2011
What FO4 needs:
Bethesda needs to start a QA department. And while they are starting up, the code-monkeys can start out with fixing some of the bugs that has been present in the engine, and been reported on since they made Morrowind on it.

Wants:
Skyrim style crime system. No crime without witnesses.
Decide wether karma is karma or reputation. It's silly when you accrue it like karma, but the effect of it is reputation.
Hardcore mode that is more hardcore.
Mod tools, so that the community can fix the broken game.
Obsidian making it, with a proper budget. (fingers crossed they will make Fallout4 / 2 at least.)

PS: I know that they probably technically have a QA department. But looking at the Fallout and RAGE launch, it doesn't look like they do a whole lot of QA.

Quantum Glass

Mar 19, 2013
I want them to keep the same stat/perk/level system. I'm not too worried about this, but given the success of Skyrim, there's a chance--however slim--that they'll try a similar system.

I'm also hoping that they'll change the art up a bit. Namely, adding some color. Don't get me wrong, the near-monochrome made the wasteland seem intimidating as hell in Fallout 3, but safe places like settlements and towns should feel more welcoming.

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
Ultratwinkie said:
-FEV was a weapon for a war that already ended. Its like saying "lets catch these terrorists about the blow up the world trade center 50 years from now."
-To research a virus that is only good to make sterile, unstable, and likely stupid monsters is not productive. In fact, FEV is the biggest problem the wasteland has.
-Supermen? By knowing cloning is a stupid way to repopulate the earth? To know that if there is only 1 man or woman the whole population is fucked? To know that mormons don't care if the suit machines failed? What happens when all you get is low powered bulbs? What happens when they don't have pre-taped entertainment?
-These social experiments were mostly of dubious value. Hardly a way to make "super men." A lot of these vaults are just lacking in common sense.
-So was power armor, yet the Enclave still kept developing and improving on it. And The Enclave kept developing FEV themselves as well, so they could purge the world.
-The point of the research was to make it better, and not cause everyone to go sterile.
-Again, social experimentation on how humans react under different circumstances allows the Enclave to better themselves mentally, and to control others mentally, in the new world. Do you even understand the basics behind social experimentation?
-Not really, the vaults are made to cover every conceivable weird situation one could possibly encounter, how people will react to that situation, and once you know how they react, you can control them, and yourself, easier. Again, that's the basics of social experimentation.

xanderkun

Dec 9, 2009
Off the top of my head, get rid of VATs. I am very serious about that. If it was full turn-based or a stat-based shooter, either would have been great but it's just made the game faaaaaaaar to easy.

The only other thing I could think of is to look at massive fan projects like Project Nevada. They had some really solid ideas in there that would make the game just more enjoyable and flexable without breaking the game and rasing the bar in terms of challange without making it unobtainable.

Edit: I second everyone's suggestion that's made it and will make it that Obsidian should be behind the development of 4.

TheDrunkNinja

Jun 12, 2009
All I need is the few minor improvements of gameplay and the companion/character studies that was brought over from New Vegas and combine that with the superior quality of the Capitol Wasteland's environment and atmosphere. Other than that, I have complete faith in Bethesda's handling of the Fallout franchise.

Fallout 3 is still in my top five of this generation's RPGs. I appreciate what Obsidian did with their continuation of Fallout 2, but I would have enjoyed it better had it not relied so heavily on what happened with 2 and allowed the Mojave to become it's own beast. Also, don't talk to me about 3's "contradictions to canon". The amount of nitpicking and ridiculous levels of detail people will go into to justify why Fallout 3 is the worst thing evar just astounds me.

DarkRyter

Dec 15, 2008
Have J.E Sawyer and Chris Avellone do the writing. They made me feel things and think about shit.

All Fallout 3's plot did was "LOOK AT DA ROBOT! OOH, VAMPIRES! HE A BAD GUY! HE A GOOD GUY!".

Since Bethesda's developing, they better spend all that goddamn Skyrim money on some damn bug testing. Like seriously, the engine's amazing and all with its ability to handle so many complex objects and AI's, but if my companion clips through the floor one more time, I'm gonna kill a baby.