Fallout: Australia?

Marowit

Nov 7, 2006
I would imagine they'd have copyright issues with Madmax and whichever movie studio owns the rights. I want to see Fallout:Shanghai or something with a completely foreign culture behind it.

Rubymuto

Jan 12, 2010
RhombusHatesYou said:
Rubymuto said:
Fallout: DOWN UNDER
I'm one of those Aussies who hate the term 'down under' so if Bethesda call a game 'Fallout: Down Under' I will murder their pets.
Sorry, no offence meant, i had tv on as background while i was writing that mini rant and a show called wanted down under was on.

Vkmies

Oct 8, 2009
Nietz said:
I'd have to say that Fallout: Australia is probably as inspiring as any fallout:*location* game. Heck, I'd actually go out on a limb here and say that everyone(who likes fallout) wants a fallout game set in their general location. Who doesn't want to see one's own landmarks reduced to cinder from the atomic war.
And on that note:
I'd like to see Fallout: SCANDINAVIA! Seriously, nuclear winter and all the glory that comes out of that. And who wouldn't like to get f*cked up by mutated wolverines. And I'm not even going to start trying to explain the pure awesomeness that is the mutated elk/moose!

ciortas1 said:
Is it even a rumor or some guy wanting to know if the forum thought his idea of Fallout: London was worth a damn? I think it's the latter, as a Fallout in anywhere but USA sounds pants-on-head retarded.

So does the Australia one. Of course you are saying this because you're Australian. It would never occur to you otherwise.

Stupid. Fallout is nothing without the setting of USA.
I'm not convinced that fallout is nothing without the American setting. The whole 50's thing affected most of the world in different and interesting ways, and the nuclear apocalypse angle works everywhere. Sure, the quirkyness of fallouts approach to 50's America would be lost, but the cultural/artistic gain of having multiple fallout's in different parts of the world would far outweight that.
This! I mean jesus. Scandinavia is almost a friggin' wasteland already, and our animals are pretty interesting, although not as interesting as Australian.

KalosCast

Dec 11, 2010
While I'm not opposed to the idea of finally exploring things that aren't the Southwestern United States (FO3 doesn't count because it was still basically the Southwestern United States... and terrible) I don't know if moving it that far from its original setting would be a very good idea. The things most people know and love about Fallout are rather restricted to the United States itself, and pretty much any faction or enemy they added would just be what we've already seen in previous Fallout games... but renamed and with an accent.

MercurySteam

Tastes Like Chicken!
Legacy
Apr 11, 2008
I really wouldn't like to see any of our spiders or snakes radioactively mutated....... or any Aboriginals for that matter (I kid).

Seriously, the Mojave would be nothing compared to post-apocalyptic Oz.

Nietz

Dec 1, 2009
Mortons4ck said:
For the same reason S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Three-Mile Island is a bad idea.
How about S.T.A.L.K.E.R: Harmont, Canada, then?

OT:
If we can't have a Fallout: Outside American borders. Where should the next Fallout be placed then? To still fit into the lore and yet be new and exciting?

Ordinaryundone

Oct 23, 2010
KalosCast said:
(FO3 doesn't count because it was still basically the Southwestern United States... and terrible)
Say what? Fallout 3 was set in Washington D.C., about as far away as you can get from the setting of the other 3 games while still being on the continental U.S. Plus, its expansions took us to Alaska, farther north to Pittsburgh, into the Deep South, and even into outer space! That was actually one of my favorite things about it, was the variety of settings. Heck, even in just vanilla Fallout 3 there isn't anything in any of the other games like the D.C. ruins.

El Poncho

Techno Hippy will eat your soul!
May 21, 2009
I think just 'Australia' would work, wherever you go you come across deadly monsters trying to kill you.

KalosCast

Dec 11, 2010
Ordinaryundone said:
KalosCast said:
(FO3 doesn't count because it was still basically the Southwestern United States... and terrible)
Say what? Fallout 3 was set in Washington D.C., about as far away as you can get from the setting of the other 3 games while still being on the continental U.S. Plus, its expansions took us to Alaska, farther north to Pittsburgh, into the Deep South, and even into outer space! That was actually one of my favorite things about it, was the variety of settings. Heck, even in just vanilla Fallout 3 there isn't anything in any of the other games like the D.C. ruins.
It was still a barren, lifeless desert, the monuments were the only thing that set it apart. Actually, come to think of it, the Fallout games that are set in deserts generally had much more vegetation. Operation Anchorage was a prequel, not open-world, and not an accurate portrayal of the world and the rest of them still weren't very good games.

Allow me to clarify my post I would like to explore outside the Southwestern US with COMPETENT WRITING.

Ordinaryundone

Oct 23, 2010
Nietz said:
How about S.T.A.L.K.E.R: Harmont, Canada, then?

OT:
If we can't have a Fallout: Outside American borders. Where should the next Fallout be placed then? To still fit into the lore and yet be new and exciting?
I'd suggest either Massachusetts and New York, for New York City and interaction with The Institute. Seattle is already being done in the upcoming MMO.

The desert theme is getting somewhat repetitive, but a Fallout set in Texas and Mexico would be interesting. Maybe Texas has formed its own country, similar to New Vegas or NCR, and is now trying to expand and colonize into Mexico?

Could always go to the South. Point Lookout was extremely popular, and I know some people would be interested in going back to the swamps. Or you could go for something more upbeat, with the distinctly tropical feel of Florida.

Malidictuim

Dec 5, 2007
I like this idea, and any idea that takes games away from America and Americans.
Being Australian myself, it's just so dull that every game has American voice actors and usually features New York or Washington at some point.

Fallout isn't about AMERICA. It's about HUMANITY. It's got the "Terminator" syndrome of assuming only Americans will survive the end of the world, when other countries are equally or far more likely to not die out as well. "Only America had vaults"? Says who? They don't even MENTION Australia at all in any of the Fallout lore, so who's to say we didn't ALL build vaults for housing estates and pretty much ignored the nuclear war completely. Granted, I like some of the campy 50s junk, but it's not necessary to make it a fun game. I don't play it for retro laser guns and nuclear cars at the drive-in. I play it for the post-apocalyptic atmosphere.

Australia doesn't have a replacement for all the retro stuff, but we could always make it all cyber-punk something. Australia could have a big-boy civil war to spawn a heap of cool posters and junk saying "Burn Perth" and "Bring Down Melbourne" and all that type of jazz. There's lots of potential for writing the nation's history, and that means there's alot of potential for a really clever and atmospheric game. America at the point of nuclear war was nothing like it is today. And same can be done with every country on earth. ANY country can make a Fallout game. As long as it was either drastically affected by the war, or not touched at all.

Hell, we could make a game where Australia and Indonesia make an alliance to restore order to the world after the radiation is sorta cleared up. Or they could be in a war from the day the nukes landed until the FO3-ish part of the timeline. Maybe Africa could emerge as united continental power. Maybe europe gets back on it's feet after 100 or so years of rebuilding. Anything can be done with the setting, even if the countries involved weren't involved in the war.

Fallout in America is good, yeah, but it CAN and probably SHOULD go to other places to fully flesh out the FO world and make it into a whole universe, not all about one country. It can't be isolated or it'll just get old.

Ordinaryundone

Oct 23, 2010
Malidictuim said:
What you want is a S.T.A.L.K.E.R game, or some other post-apocalyptic setting. Everything you proposed about removing, its all integral the Fallout setting. You take it out, and what you would have would simply be Fallout in name only.

The Fallout world and setting is set in America. You can't suddenly have this entire universe full of people living after the end and entire civilizations cropping up, that completely diminishes the point of a post-apocalyptic setting. Its supposed to be empty, and lonely. The focus isn't on the WHERE, but the people and the groups involved with the struggle. To set it somewhere else not only removes the 5 games of development the series has had, it also takes away that feeling of mystique.

Think of Mad Max. The apocalypse happens, mankind is fighting and struggling to survive, just like Fallout. But MM never left Australia, the focus never left the adventure of one guy wandering the wasteland. In that case, MM could have been set anywhere with a sufficiently large desert. But they chose Australia. Now, imagine if a movie director looked at the series and said "You know, Australia is great and all, but there is so much to do with the setting! How about we take it to Mexico, where we can have post-apocalyptic banditos! Sure, its not Australia anymore, but the setting is too rich to keep in one place!" It just wouldn't work, because its not Mad Max anymore.

Its the same thing with Fallout.

Andrew_Waltfeld

Jan 7, 2011
Ze_Reaper_Of_Zeath said:
Fallout Canada

Fallout : China

Fallout : India

Fallout : Japan ( Giant Robots + Fallout theme = F**** epic)

I'm just spouting random ideas here. The main strength of the game is it's "Apocalyptic 50's type of thing" feel. Probably the game's strength and weakness.
I'll take the japan one - that would be very interesting. Canada or European would be interesting as well, but I think Japan would win.

martin's a madman

Aug 20, 2008
Ordinaryundone said:
martin said:
I don't see any reason why they couldn't move out of America, still set games in America of course, but I want to see how the rest of this really interest universe turned out.
I'm more targeting this at everyone than just you, but it needs to be said again.

The rest of the universe didn't turn out as anything but ashes! Europe blew itself to hell, then got nuked. The Middle-East and Africa were destroyed by Europeans fighting over them. Australia...what about it? It likely got nuked just the same as anyone else, but there was nothing interesting going on over there anyway. Ditto Russia and the other Eastern European countries.

China got smashed by the entire U.S. arsenal. If anything is left, it'll only be a small section of it like New Vegas. And even then, canon has already stated that the Chinese already tried to rebuild, and collapsed again. There isn't really anything left, no factions or anything. It would be as if the Enclave took over the Wasteland, and then they all got killed by raiders.

People aren't saying that the series shouldn't leave America because they are American nationalists who want to keep it to themselves, we are saying it because the story really can't work outside of America due to both thematic and logical reasons. You are operating under the false assumption that a Fallout set in your location of choice could still retain Fallout's distinct (and already discussed, American) feel while somehow incorporating your country's culture and such. It simply can't be done. Either you end up with a game that is just Fallout with some labels moved around, or something that simply isn't Fallout. And I'm pretty sure you don't want either of those.
From the fallout Wiki
'The outcome of this conflict suggests that unlike today's EU, the European Commonwealth possessed a unified military. It is unknown whether the European Commonwealth took steps to ensure its survival like the United States did.'

'During the Resource Wars, the Soviet Union's relationship with the United States was amicable, although it is unknown what role they played in the Great War.'

'News images from Canada are shown in the intro of Fallout 1, where amongst the ruins of a Canadian city, two power armor-clad soldiers execute a Canadian wearing a combat armor (which may refer to a possible resistance group), while a happy message of reassurance flashes across the screen' -A faction you say?

'October 23 - Unknown: Little is known about Canada after the Great War however it is entirely possible that Canada was not bombed at all judging from the combined evidence of the city of Ronto and the possibility that Vault-Tec could not nor, perhaps, would not have constructed Vaults in Canada (the former because, unless Vault-Tec had a presence in Canada, they wouldn't have time to build any in the space of the year between Canada's annexation and the Great War; the latter because the Vaults were used to experiment on American Citizens, not Canadian Citizens). On the other hand Canada may have had it's own equivalent of Vaults, or the residents of Ronto are simply ghouls or descendants of people who emigrated from the U.S. after the war. '

'Any information further regarding Chinese history in the Fallout universe up to this point remains unclear. At this point in the Fallout series, there are no known records of anyone from the United States ever having established successful contact with the Chinese mainland.'

'No details are known about the state of the British Isles after the Great War.'

'Mongolia is a location that was going to appear in the canceled Fallout Extreme. You need to go through Mongolia to get to China. A band of raiders called the Huns lived in the area.'

It isn't as if they haven't considered it before. I also doubt it's coincidence that they left so much unclear.

Well, maybe a game is the actual chance to find out about these sorts of things.

Mortons4ck

Jan 12, 2010
Nietz said:
OT:
Fallout: Motor City.

Ldude893

Apr 2, 2010
Ze_Reaper_Of_Zeath said:
Fallout : China
Y'know, Hong Kong might be devoid of nukes due to the fact that it was a Special Administrative Region in real life. And China might be anticipating a nuclear attack as well so they probably did build their own nuclear bunkers and shelters.
Taking to account that Hong Kong's a mix of East and West, it would be interesting to set a Fallout there.

DalekJaas

Dec 3, 2008
I highly doubt Australia was even bombed in the fallout universe, a game set there might as well be the sims :p