Fallout New Vegas: The Post-Benny Syndrome

Jfswift

Hmm.. what's this button do?
Nov 2, 2009
I wasn't bored after I killed Benny although I certainly felt what you described. The game fluttered a bit at that point. The idea was there was another plot always going on that catches your attention while you're dealing with more immediate problems, like removing Benny. I think the game assumes at some point you'll wonder about the platinum chip and why it's so important that someone would try to murder you over it.

What they could have done different I think was maybe over how people reacted to the chip and your possession of it. It might have been more interesting if the other factions knew you could control an entire army and catered to you now, kind of like how they reacted when they found out you were friends with the Boomers. That's how they should have reacted to knowledge of you having the chip instead. (and let's eliminate yes-man, I always thought he was annoying. Why can't I just access the computer system without him?)

(I mean really it's dumb. You hold this chip, something more valuable than gold, but no one knows about it for the most part or seems to care -- essentially it's a wasted plot device)

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Olorune said:
Woodsey said:
I found the entire main plot fairly uninteresting (still not finished it, likely never will). NV is much better for its side-quests. I didn't even care about Benny to be honest.
Agreed. A big part of not caring about the main story was the "if you didn't do it then, you'll never be able to do it later" kind of things and the fact that once you did all the quests to change the face of Vegas forever, you don't even get to play in that new world. That just comes off as Obsidian being lazy, to me. Fallout 3's Broken Steel did it right and it was a ton of fun to be able to see the changes you brought to the world!
Yeah, that was weird too. Everyone complained about being cut off at the end of FO3 and they do the exact same thing at the end of NV (still don't know what happens exactly, but I know the end is the end).

bean burrito

Jul 10, 2009
I was drawn into the thought of defeating the legion. Ever since I picked up Boone, and saw the legion portrayed as the ruthless murderer people in one of the starting town (i forgot what it was called...) I set to work defeating the legion. I found the thought of fighting an evil empire much more engaging than tracking down some dude who shot you. Although I'm also liking the idea of building my own empire with Yes-Man's help, so maybe that's just me.

AlternatePFG

Jan 22, 2010
Woodsey said:
Olorune said:
Woodsey said:
I found the entire main plot fairly uninteresting (still not finished it, likely never will). NV is much better for its side-quests. I didn't even care about Benny to be honest.
Agreed. A big part of not caring about the main story was the "if you didn't do it then, you'll never be able to do it later" kind of things and the fact that once you did all the quests to change the face of Vegas forever, you don't even get to play in that new world. That just comes off as Obsidian being lazy, to me. Fallout 3's Broken Steel did it right and it was a ton of fun to be able to see the changes you brought to the world!
Yeah, that was weird too. Everyone complained about being cut off at the end of FO3 and they do the exact same thing at the end of NV (still don't know what happens exactly, but I know the end is the end).
There is just way to many ways for the game to end for there to be a Broken Steel like expansion. Fallout 3 had two relatively similar endings, so it was easier for them to build off that.

hardband

Nov 21, 2009
I never had a problem after killing Benny, in fact I think when you reach New Vegas (and by extension kill Benny) is where the game really begins to come into its own. I personally liked the fact that you could decide which factions your character would want to become the leader of New Vegas (and by extension the Mojave). I thought the game was very clever in the respect of giving you a personal goal, so that through trying to achieve that you learn and interact which each of the factions vying for the Mojave and then once your personal gripe is settled choosing a faction to side with. Honestly, this is far better than fallout 3's no choice story, which was personal throughout!

GameMaNiAC

Sep 8, 2010
Vern5 said:
... As soon as you see Benny's broken ragdoll plummet to the floor...
Assuming you picked the option of killing him. I, being a 'hero' type of character, decided to forgive him and let him go. And I was quite disappointed when I found out he doesn't make any more appearances afterwards.

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
Hm, well this is something Fallout 3 would never have to worry about. I almost always prefer episodic stories in games rather than one main story.

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
I was disappointed at not being able to form a Mohave ruling tag team with him in the end game. It gives you the option of freeing him, but that has no long term effect on the overall plot. Waste of a good loose end.

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
loc978 said:
Kind of like getting an airship in a Final Fantasy game... I guess some of us prefer not to be railroaded through a game?
I felt pretty rail roaded in NV. Only side I really cared for was Brotherhood of Steel and you don't have the option of fighting for them or giving them special privileges.
If anything, if you want to help the BoS you're FORCED to be on mr house side which might allow BoS to claim back the helios power station.

maninahat said:
I was disappointed at not being able to form a Mohave ruling tag team with him in the end game. It gives you the option of freeing him, but that has no long term effect on the overall plot. Waste of a good loose end.
Also this. I actually liked Benny. Why game kept insisted I had some grudge towards him I did not understand, seeing the vast amounts of people trying to kill me on a regular basis I didn't see my character as the type to keep grudges.

So no option to team up with him? If not BoS, Benny would have been my alternate choice, but game doesn't offer you either. Personally I was forced to kill him (deathmatch...Benny liked the idea too) only because I couldn't find a way to free him without Caesar's guards jumping onto me.

Hearing from those who have done this succesfully though, him just running off and never coming back doesn't seem like a rewarding ending though, if not being able to back Benny in his bid for power maybe just replace yes man with him? xD

clankwise

Sep 27, 2009
I understand what you mean there is a bit of a dull after that with choosing which side to pick. But at least going the solo ruler route kinda kept it interesting though i feel that my supposed robot army was very weak and you dont really feel like the ruler of vegas afterwards

May 17, 2010
Never really for me. I just felt we went from my own personnal plot rail to the more general one of controling the mojave. The Bewnny stuff was cool and all but it seemed to serve as something to motivate me into going into the mojave, the rest of the game saying "So you killed a dude, what do you want now?"

Could of been handled better though.

Dec 14, 2009
Sure, you could say the Courier has no reason to stay in New Vegas after killing Benny.

My Courier, on the hand, after putting a .357 magnum JFP in Benny's head, wanted to find out what the Platinum Chip was worth killing for...

RuralGamer

Jan 1, 2011
Yeah, I didn't like how it became a series of largely identikit fetch/assassinate/chore quests after you bumped off Benny; it wouldn't have been so bad if all the factions didn't have 70% the same quests. It wasn't too bad, but it wasn't as good as it had been before. Way better than Fallout 3's main quest anyway; great concept, poor execution (with the exception of a few really enjoyable bits). Final mission in New Vegas was great though (if ridiculously hard; why does every other guy have an Anti-Materiel Rifle?).

Also, what's it with the NCR MPs in the Strip attacking me if I do one mission (largely unintentionally) for Caesar? One of them just comes up to me saying "You badmouthed the NCR, now you'll pay!" Then all his buddies join in. Then all Mr Houses robots join in. I have neutral reputation with the Legion, am Idolised with the NCR and liked on the Strip. All I did was the first part of The House Always Wins deliberately so I had a fast travel point in the Fort to bump off Caesar with Boone at a later date. I lied to Caesar that I'd destroyed the securitron vault and that was it.

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
I enjoyed the entire experience, killing Benny was a footnote and I realised that the entire time I set out to do it. He only shot me in the head, plenty of raiders do that and I use a freakin' doctors bag and shoot them back.

Snowalker

Nov 8, 2008
Ryan Kerr said:
It is the same thing that happened in 1, 2 and New Vegas. The game starts a bad thing happens (shot in the head, Water chip fails, etc) you go to fix it in the 1/3 of the game and you find out about a bigger issue (Super mutants, Enclave, conflict in New Vegas) and then you have to fix that even bigger problem in the last 2/3. I never had an issue with it.
Same thing with 3 too, it just flowed better and made you care. Find dad, oh wait, water is shitty, fix water.

godofallu

Jun 8, 2010
You know what really sucked, you couldn't not kill him. I mean honestly I respected Benny as a businessman and thought that he would be a great companion.

But freeing him was basically impossible.

As far as the game dragging after that point I sort of agree, but only because if you start doing those ending quests you get locked into a position where the game will end and options quickly get removed. You start to cut off certain parts of the map as you become vilified, and in the end you cut off the entire game.