Fallout New Vegas

GrizzlerBorno

Sep 2, 2010
loc978 said:
Depends what you're playing on. For PC, I definitely recommend it, as well as a number of mods (Project Nevada, Fellout, Collectible Canteens, Lucky 38 cookstoves, Distant Gunfire sound fix, Bullet impact LOD increase, Bottlecaps have weight, weight rebalance, nocol... et cetera). It's a damn fine game, with all that and the latest patch.
If you're playing it on a console, I have no recommendation for you, as I've never experienced it on such a thing.
Never tried Project Nevada, would recommend Nevada skies myself. Works well enough with Fellout and the lighting effects are just gorgeous

But yeah, I agree with everyone else. Get it for the PC. Get a handful of the best mods (go to New vegas nexus; click on Top 100; download 5-10) and I PROMISE you, you will not regret it.

Wintermoot

Aug 20, 2009
if you want the DLC,s wait until the GOTY edition.
if you want the vanilla game get it now.

Ranorak

Tamer of the Coffee mug!
Feb 17, 2010
Got it on release, never saw anything worse then a Molerat got clipped into a wall.

Get it.
One tip, for me, the real game started to shine when I got right before the strip.
The bit before that felt a little too empty for me.

OakTable

May 10, 2011
Get that *****. Also, get Fallout 1 and 2 if you can. Should be on sale on Good Old Games until July.

Also, a bit of advice. When people tell you not to take the northern road out of Goodsprings into New Vegas, you better fucking listen. Don't argue with it. If you must be curious, save before going there.

Mar 30, 2010
Brentpool said:
Okay, so I was way late to the Fallout party, but in the long run, I'm glad I eventually got there because it turned out to be a great party with free booze and fast hotties, but I digress...

I love Fallout 3 and its DLC (even though Broken Steel kinda pissed all over the epic, conclusive "Good" ending) but I'm wondering about New Vegas. My roommate basically castrated that game because of some bugs that prevented her from continuing the game or something, and she hasn't touched it since. On top of that, the fact that New Vegas was bugged up the ass upon release isn't really a secret.

So my question is: Is New Vegas worth getting now? Has it been long enough that most of the bugs are fixed?
Most of the 'major bugs' (very few of which I experienced) have been fixed with patches. Two DLCs are already out with another planned for next month. So yeah, it's worth getting.

One slight issue for you, however: you mentioned that you got into the series with 3, well Bethesda took some quite large liberties with regard to setting, tone and canon when they made 3, whereas Obsidian's New Vegas is much more in line with the originals (IMO a good thing).

Bottom line: It's an awesome game that's well worth getting, but if your only experience with the series is Bethesda's contribution then expect some changes.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
ChupathingyX said:
What about H&H Tool factory? That place is full of computers with e-mails sent to co-workers and other details about what happened there.

Then theres the Sierra Madre in Dead Money that has heaps of computers, notes, diaries and wall scrawlings that show the history of the Sierra Madre, there's even a challenge to find all of the historical pieces.

Vault 11 is one big story about the experiment that was undertaken there and you can even accidently become a part of it.

The Survivalist in the Honest Hearts DLC is also shown through places and things you find located in Zion.
I said less - not none.

Fallout 3 had far more long, complex dungeon like areas rich with environmental storytelling:

Museum of Tech
Museum of History
National Archives
Capital Building
Red Racer Factory
Nuka Cola Plant
Fort Constantine
Fort Independence
Fort Bannister
Raven Rock
LOB Industries
Hubris Cominc
The Pitt
Jefferson Memorial
Presidential Metro
The metros
Yao Guai Cave
Little Lamplight
Roosevelt Academy
Springvale School
Super Duper Mart
The Vaults
Vault-Tec HQ
The metros

And probably a bunch more that I can't think of right now.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
ChupathingyX said:
Knight Templar said:
I'm with MiracleOfSound in this.
Particular indovidual locations have very good atmosphere, the vaults are indeed great in that, but for the most part and overall its not as good. All those invisable walls make it feel smaller than it is for example.
Invisible walls have nothing to do with storytelling.
They do have a lot to do with sucking you out of the experience though. They made NV much more linear and boxed in than a lot of us expected it to be.

AbsoluteVirtue18

Jan 14, 2009
I got it back last month and I haven't had an issue with it. I had held off on getting due to how buggy everyone said it was, but it's been going good other than this one time where I saved the game while crouched in a tub, and when I loaded the game I couldn't get out.

But I'm getting off track. The point is the game is good, and it's not broken or unplayable or anything

[sub]Though I still prefer 3. 3 didn't have fucking Cazadores.[/sub]

Von Strimmer

Apr 17, 2011
Grell Sutcliff said:
well the major bugs are fixed and the losing ED-E glitch will be fixed in the next patch they say
What happens if ED-E attacked and the player gunned the little bastard down? Does the robot come back or too bad so sad?

SoopaSte123

Jul 1, 2010
MiracleOfSound said:
Fallout 3 had far more long, complex dungeon like areas rich with environmental storytelling:

Museum of Tech
Museum of History
National Archives
Capital Building
Red Racer Factory
Nuka Cola Plant
Fort Constantine
Fort Independence
Fort Bannister
Raven Rock
LOB Industries
Hubris Cominc
The Pitt
Jefferson Memorial
Presidential Metro
The metros
Yao Guai Cave
Little Lamplight
Roosevelt Academy
Springvale School
Super Duper Mart
The Vaults
Vault-Tec HQ
The metros

And probably a bunch more that I can't think of right now.
We listing off locations that had environmental storytelling to try to be impressive, are we?
Abandoned Brotherhood of Steel bunker
Allied Technologies Offices
Ant Mound
Bitter Springs Recreation Area
Black Rock Cave
Bloodborne Cave
Blue Paradise Vacation Rentals
Bonnie Springs
Boulder Beach Campground
Bradley's Shack
Brewer's Beer Bootlegging
Broc Flower Cave
Brooks Tumbleweed Ranch
California Sunset Drive-in
Callville Bay
Cannibal Johnson's Cave
Canyon Wreckage
Cap Counterfeiting Shack
Cassidy Caravan Wreckage
Cazador Nest
Charleston Cave
Chance's Map
Clark Field
Cliffside Prospector Camp
Cottonwood Crater
Cottonwood Overlook
Coyote Den
Coyote Mines
Coyote Tail Ridge
Crashed B-29
Crashed Vertibird
Crescent Canyon West
Crescent Canyon East
Crimson Caravan Company
Caravaneer barracks
Crimson Caravan main office
Guard barracks
Dead Wind Cavern
Deserted Shack
Durable Dunn's Sacked Caravan
East Pump Station
El Dorado Dry Lake
El Dorado Substation
El Dorado Gas & Service
El Rey Motel
Emergency Service Railyard
Fields' Shack
Fire Root Cavern
Fisherman's Pride Shack
Gibson Scrap Yard
Griffin Wares Sacked Caravan
Grub n' Gulp Rest Stop
Gun Runners
Gypsum Train Yard
H&H Tools Factory
Harper's Shack
Hidden Supply Cave
Highway 95 Viper's Encampment
Horowitz Farmstead
Hunter's Farm
Ivanpah Dry Lake
Ivanpah Race Track
Jack Rabbit Springs
Junction 15 Railway Station
Lake Las Vegas
Lake Mead Cave
Lone Wolf Radio
Lucky Jim Mine
Matthews Animal Husbandry Farm
Mesquite Mountains Camp Site
Mesquite Mountains Crater
Mojave Drive-in
Mole Rat Ranch
Monte Carlo Suites
Morning Star Cavern
Mountain Shadows Campground
Nevada Highway Patrol Station
New Vegas Medical Clinic
New Vegas Steel
Nipton Road Pit Stop
Nipton Road Reststop
Nopah Cave
Northern Passage
Old Nuclear Test Site
Poseidon Gas Station
Primm Pass
Quarry Junction
Raided Farmstead
Raul's Shack
Remnants Bunker
REPCONN Headquarters
REPCONN Test Site
Ruby Hill Mine
Samson Rock Crushing Plant
Scavenger Platform
Scorpion Gulch
Searchlight Airport
Searchlight East Gold Mine
Searchlight North Gold Mine
Silver Peak Mine
Smith Mesa Prospector Camp
Sniper's Nest
Snyder Prospector Camp
South Cistern
South Vegas Ruins East Entrance
South Vegas Ruins West Entrance
Southern Nevada Wind Farm
Spring Mt. Ranch State Park
Sunset Sarsaparilla Headquarters
The Basincreek Building
The Devil's Gullet
The Devil's Throat
The Prospector's Den
The Thorn
Toxic Dump Site
Tribal Village
Walking Box Cavern
West Pump Station
Whittaker Farmstead
Wolfhorn Ranch
Wrecked Highwayman
Yangtze Memorial
Listing areas does nothing for your argument. As far as "complex dungeon like areas", New Vegas has that, like Vault 22. I much prefer the open areas myself, but it has those for people who want it.

OT: Get it. Play it. Love it.

AT God

Dec 24, 2008
I don't play it as often as Fallout 3, and I never even got DLC for either, Steam says i've got 300+hr in F3 and only 125 in FNV, but I enjoyed both. Fallout New Vegas has a lot of the things Fallout 3 needed to balance it but lacked the appeal of being in a destroyed urban setting, making it more like the first two but less fun in my opinion. Still worth a buy, probably the DLCs will make it more fun.

binvjoh

Sep 27, 2010
I had a great time playing through it on PC. It was a whole lot more interesting to me than Fallout 3 ever was.

Edit: However, the beginning is a bit slow. You might not mind it the first time, but since you're pretty much required to take the same route every time it gets stale pretty quick. Once you get to Novac it opens up a lot, though.

KedynCrow

Sep 23, 2009
Personally, I think it's worth the money. I've logged about 200 hours on the console version, seen some amusing glitches, raged when it stuttered and died on the rare occasion, and yet unlike most games that are glitchy and bug-ridden, I was always willing to restart and reload just because the game's storytelling, depth, and immersion kept drawing me back in.

But no, yeah, fuck cazadores.

Pandaman1911

Fuzzy Cuddle Beast
Jan 3, 2011
Well I WAS going to endorse it, but...

I had pushed a Hardcore character to level 10, when I met ED-E... and then talked to the Scrap Lady (Grandma Somethin' Or Other)... and then ED-E talked to me... and then BANG, game froze. And then whenever I tried to load any of my saves, the game just loaded forever. So... yeah. Stay the fuck away from followers, still. Besides, a truly great post-apocalyptic warrior fights alone.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
SoopaSte123 said:
We listing off locations that had environmental storytelling to try to be impressive, are we?
Um... no...

SoopaSte123 said:
Listing areas does nothing for your argument. As far as "complex dungeon like areas", New Vegas has that, like Vault 22. I much prefer the open areas myself, but it has those for people who want it.

It isn't about being 'impressive' or 'arguing'. I don't really know where you got that idea from

The reason I listed the areas was simply to show how many more large interiors Fallout 3 had to explore than NV. Every one of the areas I mentioned had a large, unique, multi-levelled interior containing a lot to discover and explore.

New Vegas had the vaults but not much more in that style of world design.

The areas you listed in Vegas are mostly a lot smaller and less detailed than the ones in F3. It's not a case of which is better, they're just different. You prefer the open style of New Vegas, I prefer the more detailed interior exploration of F3.

There's really no need to make a pissing contest out of it.

Arkynomicon

Mar 25, 2011
ChupathingyX said:
It was superior to Fallout 3 in every single way.

I coud go into details but I won't..

..Ok I'll say one.

Political and social meaning, New Vegas has lots of this and is something that 3 really lacked. If you're looking for some good satire of human identity and explanation of how humanity is so good at screwing itself over, New Vegas is the game to play.
I would agree with this except that I like the Capitol Wasteland a whole lot more then the Mojave Desert. Otherwise it's a much better raw unmodded product then FO3 is.

SoopaSte123

Jul 1, 2010
MiracleOfSound said:
It isn't about being 'impressive' or 'arguing'. I don't really know where you got that idea from
Making a claim that New Vegas has less environmental storytelling is having an opinion that can be refuted, be it a debate or argument or discussion or whatever you want to call it. No need to nitpick my wording.
MiracleOfSound said:
The reason I listed the areas was simply to show how many more large interiors Fallout 3 had to explore than NV. Every one of the areas I mentioned had a large, unique, multi-levelled interior containing a lot to discover and explore.

New Vegas had the vaults but not much more in that style of world design.

The areas you listed in Vegas are mostly a lot smaller and less detailed than the ones in F3. It's not a case of which is better, they're just different. You prefer the open style of New Vegas, I prefer the more detailed interior exploration of F3.

There's really no need to make a pissing contest out of it.
I'm not trying to say outdoor exploration is inherently better than indoor exploration. I'm saying Fallout 3 doesn't have better environmental storytelling because it has more sprawling indoor locations, as you stated. Simply confining the space doesn't add more detail or atmosphere.

Grell Sutcliff

May 25, 2011
Von Strimmer said:
What happens if ED-E attacked and the player gunned the little bastard down? Does the robot come back or too bad so sad?
they said something about being able to reclaim him if he vanished but I doubt it's going to work if you killed him

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
SoopaSte123 said:
I'm not trying to say outdoor exploration is inherently better than indoor exploration. I'm saying Fallout 3 doesn't have better environmental storytelling because it has more sprawling indoor locations, as you stated. Simply confining the space doesn't add more detail or atmosphere.
Sure, I agree - detail and atmosphere is added by lighting, colour schemes, object design, environmental deatil and all that good stuff.

I would just be of the opinion that it was done more effectively and with more attention and detail in F3

To me the environments in NV were very sparse and lifeless compared to those in F3, they didn't have as much detail or thought put into the atmosphere in general.

SoopaSte123

Jul 1, 2010
MiracleOfSound said:
SoopaSte123 said:
Sure, I agree - detail and atmosphere is added by lighting, colour schemes, object design, environmental deatil and all that good stuff.

I would just be of the opinion that it was done more effectively and with more attention and detail in F3

To me the environments in NV were very sparse and lifeless compared to those in F3, they didn't have as much detail or thought put into the atmosphere in general.
I felt New Vegas had just as much atmosphere as FO3. It was a different atmosphere, sure, but by no means worse. Agree to disagree. Both great games, though.

P.S. After rereading my first post, I can see how it could have come off as hostile, and if it did I apologize. I certainly don't want to offend a fellow wasteland and desert wanderer.