"Family Values" Groups Launch Email Campaign Against BioWare

AwKwardly

Feb 29, 2012
DaHero said:
I believe that everyone has the same rights while they're on this Earth. In reality, according to the Bible, homosexuals are going to Hell, it's a fact. It's not a matter of personal judgement, it's just plain fact.
Interesting... The same source posits that the supernatural author is a genocidal sadistic baby murderer. Cherry pickin', it's awesome.

OT: The most tiresome aspect of these kind of groups is that they insist on using family in their names or mission statements. Since when did it become acceptable to use, what for most will likely be the most positive and supporting relationship group in their lives, as a vehicle for so much vitriol and hate?

Sex =/= violence so any comparisons are generally pretty hollow, however the extreme intolerence/tolerence of each repectively is insane.

Well I'm off to instruct my neice the finer points of hanging, drawing and quatering a man while teaching her that her most important trait is her virginity.

Feb 9, 2011
Andy Chalk said:
Here's what I remember about Star Wars: Darth Vader crushes a guy's throat with one hand. Luke Skywalker discovers the butchered and burned remains of his family, killed by a fascist military and left to rot in the sun. Ben Kenobi gets into a bar fight and chops a dude's arm off. Han Solo murders a guy. And that's the first 15 minutes! Things only go downhill from there, like when the Empire blows up an entire planet just to make a point.
I love you for this, Andy. It pretty much sums up how ass-backwards these groups really are in what they believe. Strange how murdering innocent civilians in mass takes a backseat to homosexual relationships...

Redd the Sock

Apr 14, 2010
You know, I'm running out of funny things to say about idiots like this between this, Archie and ME3. It's been a busy month for the nutjobs that don't blink at headshots with sniper rifles, but panic at dudes kissing.

Keep it up Bioware. I love watching their heads spin.

bruunwald

Feb 26, 2010
Because we all know that anybody who accepts that same-sex relationships are a fact of life and doesn't totally wig out and hurt people over it, is an "extremist." You know, rather than a realist.

Lucem712

*Chirp*
Jul 14, 2011
DaHero said:
In reality, according to the Bible, homosexuals are going to Hell, it's a fact. It's not a matter of personal judgement, it's just plain fact. If that bothers someone, then they need to rethink their supposed stance on not believing the Bible.
I'm not trying to start a war or anything, cos trust me, I look at the bible as helpful suggestions and not absolute law.

But, I thought that the laws of the Old Testament (like sacrificing and all that great chiz) were refuted by the New Testament (or upgraded, let's say), so that's why we don't have animal sacrifice and don't treat women like crap. And the whole homosexuality thing is in the Old Testament, soooo, am I wrong here? I'm just curious. :)

madster11

Aug 17, 2010
Bioware should now totally put an extremely in-depth gay/lesbian kiss in all of their games, including tongue and everything.
Just a well rendered kiss, just to piss off these archaic twits.

bruunwald

Feb 26, 2010
Spartan10798 said:
I'd be more inclined to listen to an argument against family values if this writer, and most of the comments didn't smear this group for caring about their own chosen values. Sadly, today the only values that don't get mocked are the values that value nothing.
Here's the problem. Devotion to a bad idea is still a bad idea. That one remains dedicated, or loyal, or unswerving is not in-and-of itself a value or a principle. QUALITY must come into question, and that is something that long ago was forgotten about in these conversations.

Americans value and worship stick-to-it-ivness, but look where that has got us. George W. Bush is pretty much the worst president in our history, precisely because he never admitted he was wrong, never grew, never realized his mistakes and made right on them. It got him re-elected for all the wrong reasons, and it put us in a god awful place. Likewise, blind dedication to the supposed words of an invisible man in the sky, despite the fact that your own gut instinct for treating others well tells you to act otherwise, is not a principle worth defending or maintaining.

Allow me to illustrate more concisely.

I could value shooting you in the foot with a gun every Wednesday. I could pass it as a law, and get it instituted as a religious ritual. I could label it a family value until I was blue in the face. By your logic, when people then came to stop me, I should expect you to stand up and say, "no, guys, I don't need any help, because being treated like crap and shot in the foot every Wednesday is a law, a religious ritual, and a family value, as commanded me by the Almighty Bruunwald!"

No. That is stupid. Just as is handing out hate and blaming it on an ancient, man-written book attributed falsely to a being for whose existence there is no proof, and then calling that hate a "value."

Some things are not worth holding onto. Definitely not worth sticking to, no matter what. Quality of our beliefs must come into question, or we cannot call them principles.

ReiverCorrupter

Jun 4, 2010
Innegativeion said:
leet_x1337 said:
Another day, another group of Leviticus Belt residents decide that "family values" means something other than what it actually does.

There's an awful lot of stuff in the Bible, but most of the stuff on crime and punishment is concentrated in Leviticus. (For homosexuality, see 18:22.)
As a practicing Jew, I can tell you that leviticus is so outdated as to the point of being laughable. The fact that Christians take any stock in it at all is downright hilarious, especially since they ignore entire chapters about the ritual sacrifice of animals, which are equally legitimate commandments.

It was written in ancient times when the Israelites were meant to be a community of priests, who would separate themselves from other cultures in Canaan (now Israel) by disallowing acts such as homosexuality, only to distinguish the Israeli community, mind you. 'Chosen People' and all that.

Granted, my ancestors failed miserably in being a community of priests at nearly every turn after that, and the temple necessary for sacrifice was destroyed, the ancient Jews kind of shrugged it off and prayed instead, kind of forgetting about leviticus.

Meanwhile all the Gentiles swept up to Christianity clung to the thing like bees to honey, probably because it condemned anything they found threatening, no matter harmless it actually was.
Yup. You can basically blame Paul for all of that.

"For Christ is the end of the law so that there may be righteousness for everyone who believes." Romans 10:4

He basically threw the law out the window... and then told people to obey the law. Observe:

"Circumcision indeed is of value if you obey the law; but if you break the law, your circumcision has become uncircumcision. So, if those who are uncircumcised keep the requirements of the law, will not their uncircumcision be regarded as circumcision? The those who are physically uncircumcised but keep the law will condemn you that have the written code and circumcision but break the law. For a person is not a Jew who is one outwardly, nor is true circumcision something external and physical. Rather, a person is a Jew who is one inwardly, and real circumcision is a matter of the heart-it is spiritual and not literal. Such a person receives praise not from others but from God." -- Romans 2:25-29.

Convenient. Paul essentially argues that the law is natural and applies to everyone and isn't just a contract between Jews and God.

"Therefore God gave them up in the lusts of their hearts to impurity, to the degrading of their bodies among themselves, because they exchanged the truth about God for a lie and worshiped and served the creature rather than the Creator, who is blessed forever! Amen.
For this reason God gave them up to degrading passions. Their women exchanged natural intercourse for unnatural, and in the same way also the men, giving up natural intercourse with women, were consumed with passion for one another. Men committed shameless acts with men and received in their own persons the due penalty for their error."
Romans 1.24-7.

So here Paul is explaining how pagans/gentiles should have been able to deduce God's existence from the nature of creation (basically giving a cosmological argument for intelligent design). But they refused so God punished them by making them have unnatural lusts. So, what he's essentially saying is that the law should come naturally to people and doesn't need to be revealed to them by God.

Then he sways back and forth between saying that the law is defunct because of grace, but in order to receive grace you have to have faith in Jesus and you can't really have faith without obeying the law. Long story short, the christian tradition took this to mean that they could pick and choose what to keep. Though Paul was also kind of obsessed with sex and marriage, and was not at all a fan of "sexual immorality" even though he told people not to worry about circumcision and eating pork.

Grey Day for Elcia

Jan 15, 2012
[h4]"Don't show same sex couples in the video game I purchased for my child who is too young to play it! I don't want to have to be an actual parent and explain the facts of life!"[/h4]​

Stay classy, people.

dobahci

Jan 25, 2012
Maybe if we stop putting gay relationships in games, movies, and books, then kids will stop becoming gay!

Suomimaster

Mar 19, 2008
This is little bit off topic, but this thread made me remember something. In Mass Effect, the Asari is all female alien race who can reproduce/mate/have sex with any specie AND with any gender. I wonder why this was never brought up, or then it was missed due the "sex scene" with less nudity then in any James Bond movies.

Mariahsyn

Nov 30, 2010
So I wonder how long until someone gets a crop duster, paints the rebel alliance insignia on it and decides to fly a death star trench run against their headquarters for the express purpose of glitter bombing it. :p

fanklok

Legendary Table User
Jul 17, 2009
Seriously people in Florida values place who cares if some dude wants to ride the man train. Sheltering your kids to a degree that they think the universe is made of rainbows and love is worse than exposing them something you shouldn't at a young age. Better they learn how the world actually works than go into things blind when they graduate highschool, maybe we'd end up with less self entitled twats then.

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
"Family values" has to be something like the most retarded concept I know of.
People make me sad some times.

idodo35

Jun 3, 2010
hmm with me3,swor and archie around we get a lot of these "ban gay marrige" crap lately is anyonw still woried/exited about this? i mean seriously this week alone ive seen around 7 news articles like this one...

porpoise hork

Fly Fatass!! Fly!!!
Dec 26, 2008
It was stupid crap like this that those hypocritical bible thumping morons kept blathering on and on about that made me decide to become an atheist.

DaHero

Jan 10, 2011
SpiderJerusalem said:
Here's the thing.

God hates you.

Really, he does. He told me.

You want to believe in things like the afterlife, being decent to others and a big jolly man who watches your every movie, be my guest.

Because that guy is a douche. He's also going straight to hell where Satan is going to insert a pineapple in your ass daily.

It's true. I read it in the Bible.

Well, I translated it and read somewhat into what was there. But it's there. Right next to God hating shrimp, sideburns and menstruating women.
This is exactly what I said about the level of intelligence. You JUST got through talking about nitpicking, and then you only read half of my post. How's that counting to potato working for you?

Lucem712 said:
DaHero said:
In reality, according to the Bible, homosexuals are going to Hell, it's a fact. It's not a matter of personal judgement, it's just plain fact. If that bothers someone, then they need to rethink their supposed stance on not believing the Bible.
I'm not trying to start a war or anything, cos trust me, I look at the bible as helpful suggestions and not absolute law.

But, I thought that the laws of the Old Testament (like sacrificing and all that great chiz) were refuted by the New Testament (or upgraded, let's say), so that's why we don't have animal sacrifice and don't treat women like crap. And the whole homosexuality thing is in the Old Testament, soooo, am I wrong here? I'm just curious. :)
That's actually a good question, and for the sake of asking an intelligent question, I'll give an intelligent answer. I still stand by my opinion that homosexuality should be allowed in a fantasy game, but since you asked, I'll try to explain the point of view many Christians have about homosexuality, just to give you an idea. This is to the best of my understanding, but I haven't studied this in as depth as many people.

It's true, the subject of homosexuality was not directly discussed by Jesus, or in the majority of the New Testament. The apostle Paul wrote to Corinth, but the Greek word he used, "arsenokoitai", is lost on translators. The first part means men, so in the same breath about warning against sexual impurity, there's not much of a stretch. It could mean any number of things (Pedophilia and Bestiality come to mind) but those were taken care of later in the letter.

Secondly, while there were many defined laws in Leviticus, those do not apply since the New Covenant. Anyone who follows Mosaic law is making things far more complicated than need be today. However, Paul makes a VERY clear statement on this topic in Romans chapter 1:26-27

26 Because of this, God gave them over to shameful lusts. Even their women exchanged natural relations for unnatural ones. 27 In the same way the men also abandoned natural relations with women and were inflamed with lust for one another. Men committed indecent acts with other men, and received in themselves the due penalty for their perversion.

A reprobate mind occurs when God completely leaves people up to their own devices.The passage goes on to describe the gradual break-down of reprobate minded people, so feel free to read up on the chapter.

So, it's true, nobody has ever directly said it because it doesn't need to be said. If homosexuality is the result of God leaving someone completely, and God will not abandon those who keep to his commandments/rules, it makes sense that homosexuality is considered a sin.

Hope that cleared things up, and maybe shows a few points. While this group trying to lash out is being pretty stupid, they're not being nearly as stupid as the internet trolls looking for any good reason to bash a religion, simply because they don't believe in it. What's worse is that they DO believe it, evidenced by both the direct and un-reasonable discrimination against Christianity, and the constant, almost Freudian level of denial. Again I like to point out that Christians believe homosexuals are going to Hell, but they never actually act on such a thing, and any GOOD Christian won't discriminate, while many other religions call for death on sight, such as Islam. If it was simply about disagreement, trust me, there would be more complaints about Islamic Law than there would Christianity. Any good Christian, worth paying attention to, is able to teach without resentment (2 Timothy).