Far Cry 3 Review

Toasty Virus

Somehow I Returned?
Dec 2, 2009
I actually haven't really been keeping up with this game, may have to give it a look at christmas!

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
I loved the first two FarCry games, so I'll be picking this game up anyhow. However, I must admit I'm not as excited about this one as I was the previous installment. Somehow, it still looks more like an enhanced version of the first game rather than the second that felt like a whole new world.

whycantibelinus

Sep 29, 2009
Well, color me interested. I wasn't intrigued at all by the trailers and all the "OMG!IT'S SKYRIM WITH GUNS!" promotion, but your review has made it sound like a hell of a good time.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Arrgh, another one.

So many cool games to play, so few hours in the day.

vrbtny

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2009
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

NOT THE TAPIR!!! ANYTHING BUT THE TAPIR!!!!!!!!

OT : Sweeeeeeeeeet, this game has looked good all along. Glad it turned out so.

disappointed

Sep 14, 2011
It looks really good but otherwise great games with crappy storylines really rub me up the wrong way. Is it like Skyrim, where they harp on about how urgent it all is but then you can go off camping for a fortnight in the middle of it and when you get back, everything's the same? That really kills it for me.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
headshotcatcher said:
But how does it compare to the previous installment?
I can confirm one thing - no more baddies respawning at checkpoints minutes after you clear them out.

OniaPL

Nov 9, 2010
Woah, now I'm actually looking forward to this one.
I was wondering about two things though...

Compared to Far Cry 2
1. You said that stealth is a viable option, but how does it actually work? Does everyone within a mile radius run at you the minute they look at the direction the tree you are hiding behind?

2. Is everyone outside the settlement/s outside to get you like they were in Far Cry 2, or are there neutral people minding their own business?

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
Wow, this... this look GOOD. Seriously, I didn't keep track of this game at all, but now that I see it laid out in reviews I really want to play it. It kinda looks like the lovechild of Skyrim and Jagged Alliance, which are two damn good games. Will have to look into this a bit more.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
I was actually concerned that this game was going to suck. I expected Ubisoft to muck this one up like what happened with Splinter Cell and Prince of Persia. Guess I'll be getting this one!

Swyftstar

May 19, 2011
I was not looking at buying any more games this year. I may have to consider this one.

WMDogma

Jul 28, 2009
OniaPL said:

Compared to Far Cry 2
1. You said that stealth is a viable option, but how does it actually work? Does everyone within a mile radius run at you the minute they look at the direction the tree you are hiding behind?

2. Is everyone outside the settlement/s outside to get you like they were in Far Cry 2, or are there neutral people minding their own business?
1. In-game, you can crouch down and hide in the bushes and crawl right next to a pirate, and he won't see you unless you stand up. Line of sight is implemented much better here, and there's a handy in-game indicator that pops up on your HUD to let you know if someone sees you - in the video there's an example of how I was able to walk up behind two guys and they didn't notice me until it was too late, though if they did turn around they probably would've noticed. The enemy AI in Far Cry 3 can be aggressive, but on a much more reasonable scale. Cars full of pirates didn't come flying out of nowhere to try and run me down, which is something I experienced constantly in the previous game, and if you keep your distance, even if you're in clear line of sight of a pirate, he usually won't charge at you unless you open fire.

2. How many neutral/friendly NPCs are around depend on how many outposts you've liberated. A contested area will have much more pirates then civilians going about their business, but once you've liberated that area's outpost, you'll more likely see civilians walking along the road or driving around. There's lots of little interactions between civilians and you as well, such as helping someone who's car has broken down on the of the road or saving someone from being mugged.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
OniaPL said:

Compared to Far Cry 2

Having played Far Cry 2, that was by far my biggest pet peeve. I didnt get to far, and never bother with stealth to tell whether the first point is really that bad. But I thought Far Cry 2 was fun, and look forward to trying this one.