Fate/Stay Night and Typemoon in General

Nihilm

Apr 3, 2010
leet_x1337 said:
So, what's the deal? You're all ashamed of it? You're still willing to admit that the F/sn anime exists, even if it sucked.
I am not sure what your trying to even say here? Why would I ever be ashamed of liking anything? Especially something that isn't even close to be universally hated?

I am not sure if I should be insulted or what?

Edit: Oh sorry, for some reason i completely misread what you said and brain-derped in to think you meant were all ashamed for liking type-moon for some reason, sorry for any confusion my confusion created.

jhoroz

Mar 7, 2012
leet_x1337 said:
So, what's the deal? You're all ashamed of it? You're still willing to admit that the F/sn anime exists, even if it sucked.
Are you referring to the myth known as the Tsukihime anime? F/SN was mediocre, but nowhere near as bad as the blasphemies that were described when people speak of this "Tsukihime animu"

Nihilm

Apr 3, 2010
jhoroz said:
Nihilm said:
LifeCharacter said:
Well the way i understood it was, that it was not him using something common differently. In fact he was special because he posessed the reality marble and he had a very unique affinity towards that one specific type of magic. You could say to a savant level of affinity. It was because other mages were not capable of using projection like he could why everyone in F/SN says that it is weird and that projection in of it self is a useless ability almost.
and he also had his future self to observe from, which is a luxury many magi don't get

But yeah, UBW Shirou is a little too OP for my tastes. HF, not so much, due to the little "surgery" that was performed on him.
UBW was my favourite of the 3 routes, HF being a really close second.

but yeah Shirou beating Gilgamesh or even Archer in a fair fight makes no real sense, I mean I think it was implied archer let him beat him and I bought that, but I think they should have thought up a more clever plan vs gilgamesh instead of Shirou is just going to go heads up against a servant, one of the strongest I might add and kick ass.

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
Nihilm said:
leet_x1337 said:
I am not sure what your trying to even say here? Why would I ever be ashamed of liking anything? Especially something that isn't even close to be universally hated?

I mean Lunar Legend. If you haven't heard of it, try reading the first page again.

Nihilm

Apr 3, 2010
leet_x1337 said:
Nihilm said:
leet_x1337 said:

I mean Lunar Legend. If you haven't heard of it, try reading the first page again.
Yeah sorry, i re-read what you said and then suddenly realised i was an idiot, edit in my original post.

An actual reply: I haven't actually seen it, but what I have heard about it, I much rather just not even try to track it down. I think it is less about being ashamed, I mean that would only make sense if we all liked the anime. I think it is more about the fact that it is the one really bad official entry into the nasuverse, so fans much rather just pretend it didn't exist.

And pretending it doesn't exist is sort of an in-joke between fans.

jhoroz

Mar 7, 2012
Nihilm said:
jhoroz said:
Nihilm said:
LifeCharacter said:
Well the way i understood it was, that it was not him using something common differently. In fact he was special because he posessed the reality marble and he had a very unique affinity towards that one specific type of magic. You could say to a savant level of affinity. It was because other mages were not capable of using projection like he could why everyone in F/SN says that it is weird and that projection in of it self is a useless ability almost.
and he also had his future self to observe from, which is a luxury many magi don't get

But yeah, UBW Shirou is a little too OP for my tastes. HF, not so much, due to the little "surgery" that was performed on him.
UBW was my favourite of the 3 routes, HF being a really close second.

but yeah Shirou beating Gilgamesh or even Archer in a fair fight makes no real sense, I mean I think it was implied archer let him beat him and I bought that, but I think they should have thought up a more clever plan vs gilgamesh instead of Shirou is just going to go heads up against a servant, one of the strongest I might add and kick ass.
It was even more jarring for me since I watched Zero first and I had a hard time believing Shirou was the one to defeat the guy who curb stomped Iskander

Nihilm

Apr 3, 2010
jhoroz said:
oh, it already made no sense in the VN context, but yeah even less sense keeping that in mind

I mean Archer couldn't 1v1 Berserker in the VN, while Shirou technically can't get stronger than Archer and Gilgamesh could pretty much stomp berserker without much trouble, sure he was more trouble than Gilgamesh expected but not much

Kotaro

Desdinova's Successor
Feb 3, 2009
"Fate/stay night" (fan-translated) was the first visual novel that I enjoyed. Didn't like the anime, but had fun with "Fate/unlimited codes" and "Fate/EXTRA" and my enjoyment here led me to branch out into other VNs, and I found a few that I absolutely love, like "Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors," "Time Hollow," "Lux-Pain," and "Chaos;Head."
"Fate/stay night" started me on this path and I love it for it.

jhoroz

Mar 7, 2012
Nihilm said:
jhoroz said:
oh, it already made no sense in the VN context, but yeah even less sense keeping that in mind

I mean Archer couldn't 1v1 Berserker in the VN, while Shirou technically can't get stronger than Archer and Gilgamesh could pretty much stomp berserker without much trouble, sure he was more trouble than Gilgamesh expected but not much
I think servants' abilities have more to do with compatibility against other servants, rather than "who's able to kill who" which kind of answers my previous question, but Archer was a servant, while Shirou is a human. And Archer still managed to knock off six lives from Berserker, without even using UBW, and according to Nasu, he could've potentially won if he went 100% at it. Powerlevels do play a part, but there is also a rock-paper-scissors mentality to it too.

And we've begun discussing power levels. This is officially a Typemoon thread.

jhoroz

Mar 7, 2012
LifeCharacter said:
Nihilm said:
LifeCharacter said:
I have no doubt that there's a completely valid, in-universe justification for why he went from absoltuely incompetent to someone who can go toe to toe with servants, especially in the Nasuverse with it's incredibly vague universal laws, but it still rubs me the wrong way.
It has multiple routes, so you can just choose which one feels the most canon to you.

Nihilm

Apr 3, 2010
jhoroz said:
Nihilm said:
jhoroz said:

I think servants' abilities have more to do with compatibility against other servants, rather than "who's able to kill who" which kind of answers my previous question, but Archer was a servant, while Shirou is a human. And Archer still managed to knock off six lives from Berserker, without even using UBW, and according to Nasu, he could've potentially won if he went 100% at it. Powerlevels do play a part, but there is also a rock-paper-scissors mentality to it too.

Made me lol with the last line.

I agree what your saying but, archer and gilgamesh have so similar abilities in my opinion that it is still a fair comparison. Honestly it always felt weird that archer didn't go all-out against berserker, was it explained with the injury? I just guessed he did go all out :p And yes I know technically UBW and GoB are completely different, but they have a really samey feel.

jhoroz

Mar 7, 2012
UBW is inferior, but when Archer activates his reality marble, he can summon more projectiles and at a faster rate. Also:

Nihilm

Apr 3, 2010
jhoroz said:
LifeCharacter said:
Nihilm said:
LifeCharacter said:
I have no doubt that there's a completely valid, in-universe justification for why he went from absoltuely incompetent to someone who can go toe to toe with servants, especially in the Nasuverse with it's incredibly vague universal laws, but it still rubs me the wrong way.
It has multiple routes, so you can just choose which one feels the most canon to you.

That reminds me that the one thing i love about the nasuverse is that every route and every possibility is considered canon since the fictional universe adherese to many worlds theory and every possible good/bad ending and all of the different nasuverse works exist in multiple parallel universes.

Edit: Talking about weird parallel universes, what is everyone's thoughts on the new Illya magical girl show, I think it was adapted from manga, which i haven't read and i've only seen the first episode, thought it was okay, not particularly my thing.

jhoroz

Mar 7, 2012
Yeah, spinoffs aren't my thing, hence why I'm not rushing off to play Extra or bother watching Kaleid Prisma. Carnvial Phantasm is an exception though.

Nihilm

Apr 3, 2010
jhoroz said:
Yeah, spinoffs aren't my thing, hence why I'm not rushing off to play Extra or bother watching Kaleid Prisma. Carnvial Phantasm is an exception though.
Hmm, what about hollow ataraxia, I haven't played it yet since I am waiting for the translation to finish(hopefully this august), but any thoughts on that ? :D as well as anyone elses ofcourse

jhoroz

Mar 7, 2012
Ataraxia, for the most part, is canon, but I haven't completed it due to the translation not being finished yet (it's nearly there). It's fun to play, since it gets to develop the servants a bit more, but is for the most part slice of life and comedy, rather than a battle royale

also, every single character is alive except Kotomine. Thanks for not including the most interesting character in the entirety of the Fate series Nasu

Dr. Cakey

Feb 1, 2011
LifeCharacter said:
While Fate's Shirou is definitely the most hateful incarnation, it's all the other routes that make me hate everything about him. Maybe it's just because I'm weird, but I really don't like it when a creator turns someone who was supposed to be ordinary or completely below average into one of the most badass things in existence. It's especially bad when it comes in the form of him getting badass by using a common type of magic in a way that anyone with a brain should have figured out centuries before him.
Nihilm said:

jhoroz said:

Alright, let's fuckin' do this. This next paragraph'll be chock-full of UBW spoilers and maybe spoilers for other stuff, so those browsing may wish to skip the remainder of this post.

Basically, there is no part of the battle that makes sense. Nasu is not the brightest bulb in the box, so he creates Servants to be ridiculously super-human and then forgets that he did so. According to the Type-Moon wiki, an E-Rank in a given Servant parameter, such as Strength or Agility, can be quantified as the value "10", where a value of 1 represents a normal human. Shirou is very fit, and you could probably bullshit some additional physical enhancement due to quantum magic, but he couldn't rank more than, say, a 5. Gilgamesh has B-Rank strength, which is quantified as 40, so he ought to be at least eight times stronger than Shirou. Shirou's arm should have been ripped off the moment they crossed swords.

Number two is the rock-paper-scissors concept. It's true that Archer is a bad match for Berserker. Berserker is resistant to all attacks below A-Rank, has to be killed 12 times, and becomes resistant to attacks that have defeated him before, but Archer has a multitude of A-Rank or above Noble Phantasms, and can turn weaker weapons into Broken Phantasms to increase their power. It's stated that Shirou is a bad match for Gilgamesh, but logically that's not the case. It's the other way around: Gate of Babylon should be a bad match for Unlimited Blade Works, because the weapons projected by UBW are degraded by one rank. Since Shirou was just duplicating the weapons fired by Gate of Babylon, his projections should have been cut through like butter.

Oh, and even after all that, Gilgamesh should also have been a more skilled swordsman than Shirou.

And as a final sidenote, if Gilgamesh had materialized his armor, based on how it held up against Saber, Shirou probably wouldn't have even been able to break it.

So, yeah, as you can see, I despise Fate/stay night, but I really like Fate/stay night.

Auberon

Aug 29, 2012
Gil has absurd standards for fighting anyone seriously, and that massive ego is his downfall.
Iskander was worthy of Ea/Enkidu combo, and reason it was curbstomp.
I might have to watch that Tsukihime when it comes out.

jhoroz

Mar 7, 2012
Shirou's projections were inferior to Gil's
Dr. Cakey said:
LifeCharacter said:
While Fate's Shirou is definitely the most hateful incarnation, it's all the other routes that make me hate everything about him. Maybe it's just because I'm weird, but I really don't like it when a creator turns someone who was supposed to be ordinary or completely below average into one of the most badass things in existence. It's especially bad when it comes in the form of him getting badass by using a common type of magic in a way that anyone with a brain should have figured out centuries before him.
Nihilm said:

jhoroz said:

Alright, let's fuckin' do this. This next paragraph'll be chock-full of UBW spoilers and maybe spoilers for other stuff, so those browsing may wish to skip the remainder of this post.

Basically, there is no part of the battle that makes sense. Nasu is not the brightest bulb in the box, so he creates Servants to be ridiculously super-human and then forgets that he did so. According to the Type-Moon wiki, an E-Rank in a given Servant parameter, such as Strength or Agility, can be quantified as the value "10", where a value of 1 represents a normal human. Shirou is very fit, and you could probably bullshit some additional physical enhancement due to quantum magic, but he couldn't rank more than, say, a 5. Gilgamesh has B-Rank strength, which is quantified as 40, so he ought to be at least eight times stronger than Shirou. Shirou's arm should have been ripped off the moment they crossed swords.

Number two is the rock-paper-scissors concept. It's true that Archer is a bad match for Berserker. Berserker is resistant to all attacks below A-Rank, has to be killed 12 times, and becomes resistant to attacks that have defeated him before, but Archer has a multitude of A-Rank or above Noble Phantasms, and can turn weaker weapons into Broken Phantasms to increase their power. It's stated that Shirou is a bad match for Gilgamesh, but logically that's not the case. It's the other way around: Gate of Babylon should be a bad match for Unlimited Blade Works, because the weapons projected by UBW are degraded by one rank. Since Shirou was just duplicating the weapons fired by Gate of Babylon, his projections should have been cut through like butter.

Oh, and even after all that, Gilgamesh should also have been a more skilled swordsman than Shirou.

And as a final sidenote, if Gilgamesh had materialized his armor, based on how it held up against Saber, Shirou probably wouldn't have even been able to break it.

So, yeah, as you can see, I despise Fate/stay night, but I really like Fate/stay night.
Shirou's projections were inferior to Gils, but strong enough to deflect them. It was basically spam Gil until there was an opening. The only real sword fight was in the UBW movie and that was DEEN's fault for never having read F/SN. Gil not putting his armour is just him being his usual smug, over-confident self and once Shirou begun spamming, there is very little time where he could do that without creating an opening. As for "Servant-Human" ratios, all I can say is lolnasu. Kiritsugu would've never tried to pull that shit. Shirou had the most powerful NP-plothax.