Fav. Song and Artist of '09

Stevo_s

Working on Avatar
Jan 24, 2010
Hi! kinda new lol. Yes another music thread. Sorry.

So I would love to know what your favorite song and band/artist of 2009 was. They can be from any year as long as you discovered them in 2009.

Also a brief description on why that song and artist were so awesome to be at your number 1 spot. I will take you reply's as suggestions since I'm looking to expand my music library and i hope you can take mine and others as suggestions as well.

Mine.
Song: "This Heat" by "The Sound of Animals Fighting"
It took several times to actually hear the song. once my ears opened to it what a lot, or most people, would consider just random noises beats and vocals came together in harmony over my head and body. Music to me at least would never be heard or felt the same.

Band: "The Autumns"
The only reason this band was my favorite is because i have a real soft spot for Shoegaze.
The Sound of Animals Fighting opened my mind to what music is and how fun and beautiful music can be.
While The Autumns opened my heart (literally made me cry) and showed me how beautiful music is and what emotions it can bestow.

Stevo_s

Working on Avatar
Jan 24, 2010
Furburt said:
Nothing at all, 2009 was a terrible year for my kind of music.

The last good release for me was in 2006 with the release of Jesu's 'Silver EP'. Since then, nothing.
I meant from any year at all. as long as you discovered that band and song in 2009. It could be some 80's metal band but if you just listened to them in 2009 and liked them that much to be at the top, it would be that

rabidmidget

Apr 18, 2008
I don't think I have bought any music from 2009, yet I have already bought music from 2010

King rat by Modest Mouse was pretty good

I'm starting to think that if I change my avatar to something Modest Mouse related, it would represent me better.

EDIT: oh music I bought in 2009, that changes everything...this will be hard I bought about 15 different albums last year

I guess I will go with Oxford Comma by Vampire Weekend

Frequen-Z

Resident Batman fanatic.
Apr 22, 2009
Best song made in '09: Celldweller - Eon.

Best band I discovered in '09: I hate to say it, but I started listening to The Beatles last year, I can't believe I didn't listen to them earlier.

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
MK Ultra by Muse was my favo last year. I listened to it forever. (Yeah, I 'discovered' the song in 2009, Muse was already top of my bill :p)

Bon Iver was my greatest discovery. I loved their music.

Ophiuchus

8 miles high and falling fast
Mar 31, 2008
Not a new discovery in terms of the band, they've been a bit of a favourite for as long as I can remember, but this is what they released in 2009 to get my 'song of the year' prize.

Beartrucci

Jun 19, 2009
The entirety of Black Clouds & Silver Linings by Dream Theater for stuff that came out in 2009.

Favourite song/artist that I discovered in 2009? Easily Wintersun. I can't describe why I chose it as my favourite because I always struggle to describe why I like certain music.

BENZOOKA

This is the most wittiest title
Oct 26, 2009
Furburt said:

The last good release for me was in 2006 with the release of Jesu's 'Silver EP'. Since then, nothing.
It must be sad to have such a narrow taste in music.

OT: Ratatat, A Tribe Called Quest, Brother Ali, Dropkick Murphy's and lots of classical music.
Some of them rather rediscovered.

Contextualizer

Jan 8, 2010
2009 was crazy awesome for me.

Ace Hood, Lady Gaga, Mew, Taylor Swift, Shakira, Cell, Rihanna, Alicia Keys, Lil Wayne, Gucci Mane, CunninLynguists, Trilok Gurtu, Shpongle...Man, I could do this all day :)))

JanatUrlich

Apr 24, 2009
GD finally going solo was pretty sweet:

Not sure about my favourite song of the year though. Waaaay too many to choose from

SmartIdiot

Feb 10, 2009
Furburt said:

You may have just missed Agorapocalypse by Agoraphobic Nosebleed, the songs may last longer than 10 seconds now but there's still a healthy dose of brutality in there.

For me... eh I'm gonna go with 'I Dread The Night' by Gallows. 2009 was a crappy year overall, that was the party theme and I used any excuse I could to go out and have a good time.

Loves2spooge

Apr 13, 2009
Glasvegas - Flowers and Football tops.

It's wrought with emotion, and submerges you in that wonderful 'wall of sound' effect.

EDIT: My bad, that's actually a 2008 song. 2009 was actually... pretty shitty for music.

I've got one, Mos Def - Casa Bey:

Nov 7, 2009
For album of the year I have to say Mastodon's Crack The Skye. Why? FUCKING BUY IT, IT'S AMAZING.

I realize that wasn't a question, but I put it in there anyway.

Okay, artist of the year for me has to be DevilDriver for releasing a thoroughly kick-ass album and finally getting the recognition they deserve.

And song of the year...I'll pick the version of "Scarborough Fair" on My Dying Bride's Bring Me Victory EP since I can't get it out of my head.

Furburt said:
All very different, you just have to be able to appreciate the differences. And in those genres, there hasn't been any notable releases since 2006.
Jesu just brought out a new EP "Opiate Sun" so no excuses boy!