Favorite death scene in any medium?

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
You know, I was trying to think of a good one, and came up with a couple of decent enough nominees (examples included FullMetal Alchemist[footnote]
Maes Hughes. The circumstances behind his death nonwithsanding, the greatest accomplishment of this is that the death itself made a point of just how much he loved his family and the aftermath was truly heartwrenching in showing how much he too was loved.
[/footnote] the "Monster" anime[footnote]
Richard Brawn, [formerly] alcoholic Private Investigator. He's only the focus for about 4 episodes but you connect with the guy's desire to see his estranged daughter again and can see how much the addiction is still eating at him despite his refusal to give in, eventually culminating in his daughter saying she wants to see him again. And then...Johan comes in and breaks him with a few choice words and a well placed line. In addition to being a sucker punch, this beautifully demonstrated just how dangerous and malevolent Johan actually was.
[/footnote], and I Am Legend[footnote]
Sam. The only companion the protagonist has had in recent years and he is forced to turn his comforting hug to a deadly choke in the span of seconds. And you can see just how much that kills him.
[/footnote], among others), but honestly, I think I just found a scene that beats anything I might have come up with on my own. Have you perhaps heard of a movie called "The Champ"?

I just found that while trying to find moments from media I've actually seen, but it still managed to do a number on me. To me, that's a good scene. ....Dang, now I need something to lighten the mood.

BENZOOKA

This is the most wittiest title
Oct 26, 2009
Silverfang a.k.a. Ginga Nagareboshi: Gin

Ben and Benizakura

Lady Lucky

Bullet Dodger
Sep 4, 2012
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade!
"He chose.... poorly"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DGFuHC75aY

Nothing like watching a Nazi age at a ridiculous rate and then turn to dust!

Shocksplicer

Apr 10, 2011
lacktheknack said:
Ever heard of American Mcgee's "Scrapland"? It was good fun.

In it, everyone's a robot, and everyone has their "soul" downloaded to the central mainframe, so if they can spare the money, death is a mild inconvenience instead of... well, death.

Until someone starts removing "souls" from the mainframe.

Then the deaths get way, WAAAAAAY darker.

-a robot is cooked to death in boiling oil as he screams for mercy.

-a robot is caught by the murderer while doing bench presses. He gets his arms sheared off as he screams and cries in agony, and then gets his head smashed off by his own arms.

-a robot is picked up and tossed into a recycler, slowly shredded and he howls in agony. The scene ends with his sheared-off head staring at the camera in a death mask.

This is a game my parents bought me when I was twelve.
HOLY SHIT SOMEONE ELSE PLAYED SCRAPLAND!!!

As for my favourite death, Jenny Romano from the Darkness. Still the most affecting scene I've seen in any game. Still my favourite game ever.

Aug 25, 2009
'Okay hero. Set me free.'

It's literally the last ten seconds

The will to survive is just brilliant

And now some hilarious ones

There is no way this wasn't intentionally funny

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
prophecy2514 said:
In the Movies - probably Boromir's death at the hand of Lurtz in LOTR fellowship of the ring
That is a great death scene, except for the stupid hand continuity error :( So annoying

And this is where I should be writing about this in MGS4
Snakes death scene, which was so beautiful and disturbing after all he'd gone through

Except they persuaded Kojima out of it :(

However it's a truth universally acknowledged, that if it didn't happen in Metal Gear Solid, it's probably not worth talking about. (Giant mechs? Check. Giant mechs that leap around like frogs and make noises like cows? Check. Sex with hot double agents? Check. Eye patches? Check. Really strange crotch-based personal identification systems? Check. Detailed exploration of the various things that can happen whilst frying eggs? Check. Ladders? Check.)

So I'm not going to have to go far to bring you the best death scene of all time. Ladders were a clue, if I tell you it's in MGS3, all of us know whats beneath this spoiler
Starts around 2:10

It's hard to show everything good about that scene in one cutscene though. So much relationship and for it all to end like that... and then when you're left in the field and you realise the games asking you to pull the trigger... you have hope to hold out and then it comes and you realise it was inevitable

EDIT: Whoops didn't notice page 2, already been ninja'd by someone of high taste, because they included the awesome FFX one too

EvilMaggot

Sep 18, 2008
prophecy2514 said:
In the Movies - probably Boromir's death at the hand of Lurtz in LOTR fellowship of the ring

For games..
I loved John Marsten's final stand in red dead. Tragic, sad and very memorable
soooo much these 2! couldnt agree more!

talker

Nov 18, 2011
in movies: Theoden's death in Lord of the Rings and his epic battle with the Nazgul.

in games: i find it a close call between sergeant Sullivan in Call of Duty; WOW and Bowman in Call of Duty; Black ops

Superior Mind

Feb 9, 2009
Metalhandkerchief said:
Definitely when Ray Butts bit the cosmic dust in Space: Above and Beyond.

"Looks like Ray Butts ate his last pancake"
Holy buttfuck I had no idea anyone else knew that existed.

Cabisco

May 7, 2009
So far I agree with everything everyone has said (especially mordin :'( ) so I'll try to mention a few that people might not have thought of:

Admiral Cain in Battlestar Galactica. The story arc for the character and the performance by Michelle Forbes was fantastic, her death being bittersweet in that while it was an amazing part of the show it also meant we no longer got to witness this great character. How they decided to have her die was a great move by the show and it still managed to put her over as a complete badass.

I mentioned it a couple of days ago but the 'assumed' death scene in the final episode of Blackadder is one of the most powerful moments in tv history from my own personal view, I remember watching it for the first time as the laughs started to fade and the tone became darker. No one expected that ending but it was perfect, and a great note to go out on.

Lastly I'm surprised no one has mentioned the most traumatic experience of my childhood, the death of a certain Optimus Prime in Transformers: The Movie. It's almost as if you guys didn't cry when saw it, yesterday, for the 1000th time.

shadow_Fox81

Jul 29, 2011
SagaciousRyu said:
I'm surprised no one else posted this already, but the end of Cowboy Bebop.

See you, space cowboy.
this.

but also in kurosawa's three early masterpieces, Throne of blood, The seven samurai and Ikiru.

userwhoquitthesite

Jul 23, 2009
mattttherman3 said:
why would you hate superman?
he's boring. He has no moral grey area, has too many powers, has no weakness (except for one that becomes increasingly unlikely), doesn't have any characters or villains I find appealing in any way.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
Jay444111 said:
Souplex said:
While I have many favorites, I have one I know nobody else will post, because nobody played Infinite Space for some reason.
Eremon's death after your final battle with him was pretty damn amazing. He's bloody, beaten, his ship is falling apart, and the bulk of his fleet has been destroyed, and he knows he's not coming out of this alive.
So what does he do
He tries to slam his 6-kilometer dreadnaught into you only to be brought down by a hail of lasers and missiles as he tries.
All the while epic music plays in the background! Dude, You are not alone when it comes to that game. It kicks butt! FOR NIA!!! But yeah... ME3 should have just copied everything from that game. It would have been good then... no offense. Just saying.
Wait...
Somebody else played it?!
Brother!
*Hug*