Favorite Gundam Series.

JaredXE

Apr 1, 2009
Ah yes, I had forgotten about the atrocious naming in Seed. Seriously, how do you take a perfectly fine name like Issac, run it through a katakana filter and then spell it in romanji and get Yzak? And then have the english cast actually call him that? *shudder*

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
Volucer said:
Only seen one, which was Wing, and I loved it.
Wing is a good start but try tracking down the 0079 Movie Trilogy, Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket or Zeta Gundam.

Wing is a good enough "gateway" Gundam, but some of the older and more serious stuff provides better expression of Wing's borrowed ideas. Though it is true that some of the Mobile Suit designs are not as immediately striking as the Deathscythe or the Wing itself.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
PedroSteckecilo said:
That's pretty badass... but it still has that aweful pan and scan look to it, that's what has really kept me from watching SEED.
Hm? What do you mean pan and scan?

I'm not really a fan of SEED's art style in general, but I got used to it.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
CantFaketheFunk said:
PedroSteckecilo said:
That's pretty badass... but it still has that aweful pan and scan look to it, that's what has really kept me from watching SEED.

It occurs most notibly at 0:56, 1:00 and 3:30ish, it's that sort of odd, unreal looking motion style that looks as if it's a camera moving over an animation cell, rather than a camera moving in the scene proper. It's basically a major feature of SEED's animation and it drives me batty everytime I see it.

Martialartist

Oct 21, 2008
All of the Gundam Series and so much so that I own all of them (I don't know if that a good thing or bad thing
).
The only one I hated was the cel shaded kids one my god that was the spawn of hell!!!

-Seraph-

May 19, 2008
CantFaketheFunk said:
I don't care what anyone says about SEED - Freedom's debut made me crap bricks the first time I saw it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uciikO-kADI&feature=related (Skip to halfway in.)

Still one of the best "SUP BITCHES IT'S PWNING TIME" moments in the entire Gundam franchise, IMO. As long as you ignore what would (eventually) become very stock footage. Also, SEED used its insert songs very well.
Yea, I kinda liked that debut, felt epic. It was a fun watch the first time and a real surprise. I can give SEED some credit for having some entertaining fights, but at the same time they felt forgettable and far too over the top. I always felt they made the characters TOO powerful and the one man army thing irked me a lot in SEED. I mean some of the fights I was shaking my head at the atrocious overuse of the one man army thing. That and some battles felt like stupid clusterfucks.

THIS is the kind of battles I like and it in my opinion shows what a real MS ace is like. It's just so damn badass and "real" and so satisfying to watch. No pilot is invincible, and each persons true skill is shown in a modest and grounded manner.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
PedroSteckecilo said:
CantFaketheFunk said:
PedroSteckecilo said:

It occurs most notibly at 0:56, 1:00 and 3:30ish, it's that sort of odd, unreal looking motion style that looks as if it's a camera moving over an animation cell, rather than a camera moving in the scene proper. It's basically a major feature of SEED's animation and it drives me batty everytime I see it.
Ah, I sort of see it. Definitely over the crew pan at 3:30.

Eh, i guess it never bothered me as much as just the general art style, but I see what you mean.

But yeah. That debut is part of the reason why I love the Freedom as much as I do. I also find that I appreciate its design a lot more after putting together the 1/100 MG and seeing how it works, like how the railguns fold out from the skirt armor. But then again I've got a weakness for the whole tech angle, haha.

Sparrowsabre7

Mar 12, 2008
Griever18 said:
Sparrowsabre7 said:
Gundam 00 the first season anyway. Second season annoyed me a lot =(
I never got to see the last episode of the first series. I got up to where Lockon...you know.
Haro: "Lockon! Lockon!" =(

Yeh, the second Lockon a.k.a. Lockoff isn't half as cool =P

Unknower

Jun 4, 2008
I've only seen 08th MS Team, Seed and Destiny. I liked the first two. Destiny... yeah...

I didn't like Kira. He was just too... perfect?

JaredXE said:
Ah yes, I had forgotten about the atrocious naming in Seed. Seriously, how do you take a perfectly fine name like Issac, run it through a katakana filter and then spell it in romanji and get Yzak? And then have the english cast actually call him that? *shudder*
You're complaining about Yzak? What about Athrun then? Everyone clearly says "Asran" or "Asuran." How can you replace "s" with "th"?

Rivana

Mar 26, 2009
I loved Stardust memory 0083 the best, followed by Z Gundam. I am enjoying 00 though.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
Martialartist said:
All of the Gundam Series and so much so that I own all of them (I don't know if that a good thing or bad thing
).
The only one I hated was the cel shaded kids one my god that was the spawn of hell!!!
Oh god... why did you make me remember that! Whoever authorized that should be shot! Several times.

Terrible, terrible show.

Frank_Sinatra_

Digs Giant Robots
Dec 30, 2008
Angus Young said:
Gundam Wing all the way
Why do most people say this?
For all of you who have seen Gundam Wing I urge you to watch the 0079 series. Yes, I just told you to watch the original you will see the light.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Frank_Sinatra_ said:
Angus Young said:
Gundam Wing all the way
For all of you who have seen Gundam Wing I urge you to watch the 0079 series. Yes, I just told you to watch the original you will see the light.
They should just watch 0080. Six episodes, so it's really easy to make it through. All you need is cursory knowledge of the OYW. And it's the six best episodes of anything with the Gundam name attached to it.

Frank_Sinatra_

Digs Giant Robots
Dec 30, 2008
CantFaketheFunk said:
Frank_Sinatra_ said:
Angus Young said:
Gundam Wing all the way
They should just watch 0080. Six episodes, so it's really easy to make it through. All you need is cursory knowledge of the OYW. And it's the six best episodes of anything with the Gundam name attached to it.
Heck just watching 08th MS Team if they want to get through good Gundam really fast.

Baonec

Aug 20, 2008
Skullkid4187 said:
Gundam Wing is the best hands down. And Wing Gundam is the sickest Gundam ever
Epyon beats it's ass easy even Shitaku would rape it, and wing easily watched most of the other apart from the latter half of seed and wing just entertains me more.

flamebeaux

Sep 3, 2008
hmmmm... hard choice

id have to say,

gundam 00 + 00S2
gundam seed + destiny
Gundam wing

g gundam is up there but i cant put it in my top 3 series