Favorite Gundam Series.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
Oooo, favorite Gundam Mecha?

It's not a Gundam Proper... but I LOVE the ReGZ

But for Gundam's proper, I like the Hi-Nu Redesign from the Chars Counter Attack novelization.

Megacherv

Kinect Development Sucks...
Sep 24, 2008
Even though it's not a series, my favourite is Char's Counterattack. The Sazabi is such an awesome MS.

buggy65

Aug 13, 2008
G Gundam for me because you were garunteed a fight every episode... none of that political agenda crap. I just want to see shit blow up.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Onmi said:
JaredXE said:
Seed get my votes. Despite Seed's obvious rip-off of Star Wars (twins seperated at birth, giant space station lasers, use the force Kira), and the fact that Shinn becomes emo Anakin, I enjoyed the bad-assedness of the mechs and some of the wtf moments in the plot.
Seed is a rip off of the Original MS Gundam. Except ya know, while Mobile Suit Gundam highlighted the tragedies of war in an analogy of World War 2, SEED Decided "Lets move the Newtypes out of the spotlight in favor of the normal people solving the worlds problems"
"Okay but lets make the protagonista geneticly engineered super man as to make him literally better then everyone else"
"How about we put him in a manipulative yet somewhat dependant relationship with the series resident Tsundere, have rthem realize their love for each other and pilot their MS out in final combat together only to die tragicly with Athrun being crippled."
"Sure, except his love intrest wont be given a MS instead we will give it to his sister without changing the colour scheme, then he will not only survive the final battle but go for the pink haired pop princess over his problemed relationship to allow the writer to escape into a fantasy because her own relationship with her husband director is shit. Then have everything end happily except for the shows only good and well thought out character."

Then Fukuda proceeded to drink paint while his wife fucked up any good idea he HAD in Gundam SEED

And the less said about destiny the better.
SEED has issues, sure, but so does every other Gundam series. I love First Gundam, but even I can recognize that 0079 is flawed. I did appreciate in SEED that they went out of their way to show how Naturals might have reacted to Coordinators and the innate fear/racism there, whereas in MGS there's not nearly as much concern over Newtypes - also, Newtypes are an evolutionary thing, instead of genetic engineering, which has its own problems.

SEED also portrayed both sides of the war as, well, bad guys, while ... well, the Federation wasn't always GREAT, and it certainly had its share of asshats, but the OYW definitely had defined "good" and "bad" sides. (Incidentally, this is why I like 0080 so much, as it's a lot more fair to people on both sides of the OYW) Not to mention even before the whole Three Ships Alliance bit, you still had the former-best-friends-now-enemies relationship between Kira and Athrun, which was a bit of personal drama that 0079 lacked.

Hell, I even liked Kira the first time around in SEED. He wasn't my favorite character, but he was tolerable. I think you're forgetting how much of a whiner Amuro was the first time around :p

Let's... not talk about GSD, though.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
CantFaketheFunk said:
Hell, I even liked Kira the first time around in SEED. He wasn't my favorite character, but he was tolerable. I think you're forgetting how much of a whiner Amuro was the first time around :p
That's what the Bright Slap is for. Makes whiny characters less whiny.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
PedroSteckecilo said:
CantFaketheFunk said:
That's what the Bright Slap is for. Makes whiny characters less whiny.
Yeah, but Bright hadn't perfected it yet in 0079. Amuro only manned up when Frau Bow decided that if he wasn't going to pilot the Gundam, she'd do it for him.

Sir_Montague

Oct 6, 2008
Is it wrong that I enjoyed Dynasty Warriors: Gundam? I mean, I've always enjoyed Wing and the dynasty warriors series... And when a game came out for both of them... Mm...

Ravenbom

Oct 24, 2008
Gundam Wing is the show you love if you've never seen any of the other Gundam series. Try watching the original MS Gundam, then Z Gundam, skip over ZZ Gundam or fast forward through most of it until the last 1/3 of the show.
Then Char's Counter Attack, then Victory Gundam.

Then go back to Wing Gundam and see if it's just not nostalgia for the show that you loved. Wing was the first series I saw, and it really sucks compared to the UC timeline series and OVAs.

08th MS Team is good, Gundam 0080 is good, Gundam X is good, TurnA is really good, G Gundam is pretty good if you can get over the rediculous Gundam designs. Likewise, the Original Series you'll want to hate at first because the animation and designs are so bad and dated.
But once I got past it, the Original is probably my favorite. Then Victory.

I liked the first Gundam Seed, after episode 15, when it stopped copying the original series and went off on it's own path. Gundam Seed Destiny started out good, but quickly became horrible with all the flash back episodes.

I still need to see 00.

But, I have to say, of all the full series, not counting OVAs, Wing is the second worst series. Seed Destiny is the worst and has mostly turned me off from Gundam, which is why I haven't seen 00 yet.

Ravenbom

Oct 24, 2008
Griever18 said:
PedroSteckecilo said:
Ah yes Gundam Wing... a poorly written and poorly animated rehash of the original Gundam concent starring a whole bunch of soulless Bishounen's with a whole bunch of Peacecraft Kingdom Crazy heaped on top of it. I'm not a fan.

I prefer the Tomino Directed Series's, the best of them being the awesome Victory Gundam, but with Zeta Gundam coming in right behind it.

Of the Non-Tomino Gundam Series' I'll throw my weight behind Mobile Fighter G Gundam, it knows what it is, and what it has to be, but still manages to rise about your average Super Robot Show by the truly awesome ending.
No reason to be rude, man.

I did like Char's Counterattack too.

He wasn't being rude, he was explaining his reasoning for not liking Wing.
Rude would be him saying you fail or you're an idiot for liking Wing.

Plenty of people troll forums looking to be rude, so I find it refreshing when people explain their opinions, even if I disagree with them.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Onmi said:
Ravenbom said:
Someone who A. hasn't seen Combat Mecha Xabungle (One of Tomino's best works) B. went into ZZ expecting something serious when Tomino tends to follow a Tragic story with a comedic story (Ideon was followed with XABUNGLE) and C. It got good around episode 16. he only thing you NEED to skip is Moon Moon. Even I can't like Moon Moon.
Dude, no need to be elitist about what is wholly a subjective matter. You loved ZZ. I know people who loathed it. It's got a very odd tone for a Gundam series (and personally, I can't get over the fact that the ZZ has a damn stick shift), and just because someone didn't like it doesn't mean you need to jump down their throat.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
It amuses me how many Canadian's HATE the Lumber Gundam from G Gundam, I fucking LOVE IT! It's Canadian Flag Colored, has giant axes on its arms and the pilot wears PLAID! What is NOT to like about it?

I really don't think they meant it to be taken seriously, I think they were just having fun designing Gundam's linked to a specific nation. Would a Mounty Gundam have really been any better? A Beaver Gundam? Frankly the Lumber isn't as silly as it could be.

Hamstah

Dec 24, 2008
I really can't pick my favorite, because I liked every Gundam I watched so far

0079 is the granddaddy of Gundam and real robot anime in general, so it gets the legendary status by default. The same also applies to the entire UC timeline. Also, Char is one of the coolest and most badass anime characters evar. Period.

Albeit being bashed by Gundam fans all around the globe, I liked Gundam Wing. I hold it in such high regards, because Endless Waltz was my first Gundam and ignited my love for mecha anime. Yeah, it is a bit whiny and the characters may seem like bait for yaoi fangirls (Zechs was really awesome, however), it had great mecha (Deathscythe <3).

SEED was probably the weakest of the bunch and nope, I have yet to see Destiny. From what I've heard it's a steaming pile of shit, but that comes from the people who talked smack about Wing.

G Gundam was indeed great for lulz. I'm not sure I ever laughed that hard watching mecha anime.

Double 0 had me hyped from the beginning until the end, although it sucked how some characters could cheat death by being blown to smithereens and then appearing in the next episode all over again. It is also home to two of the sexiest women in Gundam metaseries: Exia and Noriega.

Ravenbom

Oct 24, 2008
PedroSteckecilo said:
Oooo, favorite Gundam Mecha?

It's not a Gundam Proper... but I LOVE the ReGZ

But for Gundam's proper, I like the Hi-Nu Redesign from the Chars Counter Attack novelization.

Yeah, I love the ReGZ too.
But I hardly ever love the Gundams, normally I prefer the mass produced cannon fodder suits (GMs, Zakus, etc). Or unique ones like Hyaku-Shiki.

but of the Gundams, maybe Zeta is my favorite.

I always liked the asymmetry of the Gundam X, NOT the upgrades and refits that they made in the series, but the original Gundam X design. IIRC, they modified it about 10 episodes into the series.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
Technically this was my first experience with Gundam

An old PC game trailer that I saw as a preview on the game Buried in Time.

I didn't learn what it really was until I watched Wing in High School.