Favorite Gundam Series.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
Ravenbom said:
Yeah, I love the ReGZ too.
But I hardly ever love the Gundams, normally I prefer the mass produced cannon fodder suits (GMs, Zakus, etc). Or unique ones like Hyaku-Shiki.

but of the Gundams, maybe Zeta is my favorite.

I always liked the asymmetry of the Gundam X, NOT the upgrades and refits that they made in the series, but the original Gundam X design. IIRC, they modified it about 10 episodes into the series.
My love of the ReGZ comes from being a long time Macross Fan and has alot to do with the fact that it turns into a fighter.

I just love Transforming Mecha.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
CantFaketheFunk said:
Onmi said:
Ravenbom said:
Someone who A. hasn't seen Combat Mecha Xabungle (One of Tomino's best works) B. went into ZZ expecting something serious when Tomino tends to follow a Tragic story with a comedic story (Ideon was followed with XABUNGLE) and C. It got good around episode 16. he only thing you NEED to skip is Moon Moon. Even I can't like Moon Moon.
Dude, no need to be elitist about what is wholly a subjective matter. You loved ZZ. I know people who loathed it. It's got a very odd tone for a Gundam series (and personally, I can't get over the fact that the ZZ has a damn stick shift), and just because someone didn't like it doesn't mean you need to jump down their throat.
Apparently Tomino initially planned for Char to be the lead in ZZ, but then he got the studio okay for "Chars Counter Attack" which led him to develop ZZ as a lighter series.

Still, I like Tomino best when he's at his bleakest, Victory is a blood bath (26 Episodes in and 10 named characters have already been killed off) and Ideon: Be Invoked is one of the darkest finale's I've ever seen. Though from what I've seen of Turn A, Tomino also does hopeful and optimistic really well.

mattttherman3

Dec 16, 2008
Difficult decision, I liked wing but the fight scenes were repetitive, G gundam was alright, the english announcer annoyed the piss outta me, Seed and Seed destiny, too much usage of the same gundam footage, plus Kira Yamato is an emo little prick. Gundam 00 season one, best Gundam season ever, season 2, sucked mega balls, except the first episode, i love damaged gundams fighting, and at least every episode was new fight scenes and not reused onces. Gundam 00 was the best looking out of all as well. But the opening and ending credits for season 2 were brutal.

Gundam 00 season 1 and not 2, to answer your question

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
mattttherman3 said:
G gundam was alright, the english announcer annoyed the piss outta me,
Steve Olson

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/people.php?id=5523

I know him personally actually, he's the father of a good friend of mine from High School. Absolutely addicted to Blizzard Games and usually works as a teacher.

It's always really freakin bizarre when I'm watching Anime and I suddenly here him pop up.

AbsoluteVirtue18

Jan 14, 2009
CantFaketheFunk said:
DarkRyter said:
G Gundam.

I remember when I was 8 and watched it on toonami.

BURNING FINGER!
*Ahem*

This hand of mine glows with an awesome power!! Its burning grip tells me to defeat you! Take this - my love, my anger, and all of my sorrow! Shining Finger Swooooord! Go! Go! Gooooo!!

Onmi said:
The biggest announcement is regarding Gundam Unicorn movie, in theater in 2010. It's the biggest celebration of 30th Anniversary.
Huh, cool.

Also, I disagree with you about the only good parts of CE being Astray and SRW. SEED definitely had its moments. Most of which involved Mwu la Flaga :p

Man, the FaZZ... so bulky. Nice looking, though.

Griever18 said:
Sparrowsabre7 said:
Gundam 00 the first season anyway. Second season annoyed me a lot =(
I never got to see the last episode of the first series. I got up to where Lockon...you know.
:(

See avatar.

...this thread is making me realize we should have a favorite Gundam MECHA thread.

I'll start one later.

WhiteFangofWhoa

Jan 11, 2008
I'll admit to being generally ignorant of most of these since my Gundam intake is limited to what I can catch on YTV and Space (Wing, Seed and Seed Destiny). I have however looked at the predecessors in 'Mecha HQ' and I'd say Gundam X looks pretty rockin' though apparently Gundam Z is widely hailed as the best.

As for series I've actually seen Gundam Seed wins. Seed Destiny fails for rehashing just about everything that occurs in Seed (and apparently a great deal of Seed's beginning chapters parallel the very first Gundam series) and actually making several of the valid complaints about Seed far worse (stock footage, clipshows- a whopping 5 clipshow episodes to Seed's irritating 2- toxic levels of bishy emo-ness, too much posing/transforming in battles and not enough fighting...).

Given how great Seed's final episodes were I think they should've just started over with a new cast and let the Seed lie IMO; that's what they did for several of the others.

On a seperate note, what would you like to see in a future Gundam?

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
WhiteFangofWar said:
On a seperate note, what would you like to see in a future Gundam?
I'd like to see Yoshiyuki Tomino return to the series for one, but I don't know if that would ever happen.

Other than that, I'd like to see less of a focus on making Gundam "hip and new" like they have with Wing and SEED (can't comment on 00, never seen any of it) and produce more excellent material like "8th MS Team" by focusing on the "real" in "Real Robot".

Penguinishka

Mar 19, 2009
I'm rather partial to the Original UC Gundam. The 3 movie version though not the series.
Char Azanable is one of my all-time favorite characters.
Gundam Wing was pretty damn awesome since it had a really great dub voice cast.
And I don't believe in Gundam Seed.

AlphaOmega

Oct 10, 2008
00 Raiser (The main gundam from 00) looked really silly with a plane cockpit sticking out of its ass :(

UncleAsriel

Pleasantly Lurking
Feb 13, 2008
I've never actually watched a gundam series, truth be told. The closest I came to that was watching Code Geass and laughing heartily at the absurdly awesome politicking on its protagonist's behalf.

I give my vote to best Gundam series, however, to G Gundam. Mainly because any series which could produce this scene [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjmCQXdVibA&feature=channel_page] can't be beyond hope, if only in a hilarious sort of way.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
I like O8th MS team the most with Gundam 00 2nd to it.

I hate Seed the most.....
PedroSteckecilo said:
Ah yes Gundam Wing... a poorly written and poorly animated rehash of the original Gundam concent starring a whole bunch of soulless Bishounen's with a whole bunch of Peacecraft Kingdom Crazy heaped on top of it. I'm not a fan.

I prefer the Tomino Directed Series's, the best of them being the awesome Victory Gundam, but with Zeta Gundam coming in right behind it.

Of the Non-Tomino Gundam Series' I'll throw my weight behind Mobile Fighter G Gundam, it knows what it is, and what it has to be, but still manages to rise about your average Super Robot Show by the truly awesome ending.
Thats the best definition of Wing I have ever seen!
Its uninspired but watchable...Seed is worse.... uninspired and generic....

Ravenbom

Oct 24, 2008
PedroSteckecilo said:
Ravenbom said:
Yeah, I love the ReGZ too.
But I hardly ever love the Gundams, normally I prefer the mass produced cannon fodder suits (GMs, Zakus, etc). Or unique ones like Hyaku-Shiki.

but of the Gundams, maybe Zeta is my favorite.

I always liked the asymmetry of the Gundam X, NOT the upgrades and refits that they made in the series, but the original Gundam X design. IIRC, they modified it about 10 episodes into the series.
My love of the ReGZ comes from being a long time Macross Fan and has alot to do with the fact that it turns into a fighter.

I just love Transforming Mecha.
Well, I don't want to get too OT with Macross, but yeah, I love the transforming Mecha and designs in Macross. One of the reasons I love the ReGZ and Zeta designs.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
Onmi said:
PedroSteckecilo said:
Apparently Tomino initially planned for Char to be the lead in ZZ, but then he got the studio okay for "Chars Counter Attack" which led him to develop ZZ as a lighter series.
Actually Glemy Toto was never supposed to rebel, He took Chars place. It was the okay for CCA which made the change in antagonist and it was not why the series grew more serious it was an evolution of character.

Still this is a lot better than "Tomino never wrote the first half of the series" bullcrap I sometimes see
That must be a translation oddity, I don't remember a character named Glemy Toto... though I'm watching the legal translation of Zeta at the moment so maybe the character has a different name.

I'm pretty sure Tomino can be funny, after all, Victory is often both funny and depressing in the same damn episode. It's as bi-polar as Tomino was when he made it.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
I don't care what anyone says about SEED - Freedom's debut made me crap bricks the first time I saw it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uciikO-kADI&feature=related (Skip to halfway in.)

Still one of the best "SUP BITCHES IT'S PWNING TIME" moments in the entire Gundam franchise, IMO. As long as you ignore what would (eventually) become very stock footage. Also, SEED used its insert songs very well.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
That's pretty badass... but it still has that aweful pan and scan look to it, that's what has really kept me from watching SEED.