Favorite/Least Favorite Final Fantasy Protagonist

Hemlet

Jul 31, 2009
Favorite Protagonist: The characters you got to name yourself in the first game who had no personality, because I'd rather come up with my own reasons as to why this party of adventurers gives a flying shit about saving the world.

Least Favorite Protagonist: Tidus. The instant I saw Tidus I felt a very strong dislike for him. Then, because I couldn't stand to constantly have to see him in-game, I watched/took turns playing the game with a friend. My very strong dislike for Tidus quickly spiraled down into a seething hatred for the character.

pyers

Aug 10, 2010
I am so glad that there are people that have played and loved final fantasy 6. It is the best one out of all of them. I am waiting for the day that they will finally bring it back.

Fav. - Cecil, Bartz and pretty much all the characters from final fantasy 6

Least Fav. - Vaan, Tidus, and pretty much all the "characters" from final fantasy 13

Sliverwings

May 1, 2010
Favorite: Freya, Firion, and Tidus
Hate: Squall for being the bitchiest final fantasy character evar!

Lawllerskater

Jan 29, 2010
Favorite: My Crystal Chronicle's character because he did not talk.

Least Favorite: Everyone else...maybe cept Auron. He's in the middle ground.

Star_Seeker

Nov 14, 2010
Favorite: This one's a toughie. Honestly, I like most of the protagonists if I can relate to them. For example, I liked Hope and Lightning because Lightning fought for her sister, whereas Hope fought for his mother, which I respect. I also liked the cast of FFXII just for the depth of character, and FFX was my first RPG so I'm completely biased. I do have to say, though, I really liked Yuna as a character.

Least Favorite: This seems almost unfair, but it was so difficult to finish FF and Final Fantasy III (DS) because they didn't have any developed characters.

Julianking93

May 16, 2009
Sassafrass said:
Heh. I actually hated X-2 when I first played but replaying it now, not blinded by the sheer awesomeness that is X, I'm enjoying it a lot. Heh and I guess I'm in the majority to when I say VIII was good and IX was boring. ...Then again, I never finished it but then again, I never felt like playing it after disc 1 was done. XD

Yeah, that's what sort of threw me off too. But I did enjoy it back then, although I never recognised it as J-Pop at the time, just pop.
Ah, I'm sure there's some way for me to get it. And I actually don't, I've tried looking up the majority of the songs on a mobile website I visit a lot but it only has Otherworld on it, under Rammstien or whatever.
Ah, dark mysterious characters tend to be my draw too. I think that's why I like Auron as well, as well as him being a total badass. But yeah, Paine also fills the dark, moody and totally badass character type, to an extent.
I think that may have been why the fan-service rumours started flying around. Make her dumber and sexier to entice the teenage fans. But she's still likeable in X-2, I just don't agree with what they did. At least they didn't do the same to Yuna and in fact made her sort of stronger and a bit more laid back.
And I've not seen any of the hentai surrounding FF games. ... << *Ahem* XD
I've looked, none of my local gaming shops stock a copy, nor can I get it online due to me not having a card. :p

Yeah, it's pretty much that. Lightning's on a quest to see if Fang and Vanille can be somehow restored to life without Cocoon smashing into the ground. Sort of like X-2's where Yuna is looking for Tidus til Vegnagun rocks up to fuck shit up.
And hasn't Versus been on the verge of being released for bloody ever? o.o
Really? All I ever hear is praise for IX but... meh, I never bothered playing it. 8, 13 and X will forever be the bestest :D
Glad to hear you're enjoying X2 though! Like I said, can't wait to see what you've got to say about it in full :D

Considering it was translated into shitty English, it is just pop :p
Huh. Figured you would though. I know you have X's soundtrack, right? Or am I mistaken?
At any rate, the music is fantastic in pretty much every Final Fantasy despite the goodness of the game itself.
Loved Auron too but he was a wee bit too stoic for my tastes. Not really into that sort of character but none can deny how badass he was. Even cooler in KH2 ;P
Yeah, I suppose you're right. I know it was the time when one of my friends actually started liking Final Fantasy simply because they had a crush on Rikku in X-2 XD
She was a bit more confident, I think. Just raised her from being a bit timid to more strong, despite the general theme of the story >.>
Still, she was awesome as was Paine but Rikku... meh. Likable enough just not really... all there x3
Oh I'm sure you haven't ;P
I honestly don't want to though. Ruins my image of the character >.>
No, Doujin! For the last time, I don't want to see Yuffie get gang banged, thank you!

Ah, I see. Well, that's just what I got from the trailer even before I actually beat XIII so... yay spoilers from the developers XD
Still, it'll be good regardless I think and if they can do the reviving thing, I'll love it even more ^_^

Pretty much. I think it's been delayed even before 13 came out xD

acidk44

Oct 25, 2009
Favorite: Quina: the frog eating thing... yep. mostly because it reminded me of enemy skill materia of FF7 and because just with "IT" you could beat FF9 hands down.

Least: the entire game and "cast" (i should say androgenous cast)of FF12 especially Vaan.

I mean you all seen the people he looks like...

PureIrony

Slightly Sarcastic At All Times
Aug 12, 2010
Favorite: Terra, Cecil, Locke and Auron
Least Favorite: Tidus and Edward

Jason Danger Keyes

Mar 4, 2009
Sassafrass said:
Julianking93 said:
Favourite: Vanille or Squall.

Least Favourite: Hope or Cloud.

Yeah I said it. Cloud's just as bad as Hope.
No mention of Yuna? For shame.
Also, tell me how it feels to get a tan via the internet die to fanboy hate, would you? XD Although I don't understand your dislike of Hope.

OT: Favourite: Yuna/Rikku/Vanille, despite her squeaks and strange accent which changes four times.

Least favourite: And seeing as I can;'t say Seymour Guado as he's not a protagonist, I'm gonna have to say Cait Sith. ...And Seymour Guado. Sorry, my hate for him is too strong.
Wait... you're telling me people actually liked Vanille? To me she was the most nauseatingly loathesome character in any medium ever. 90% of the time her mouth was open the sounds coming out were not words.

BrionJames

Jul 8, 2009
Love the cast of FF6, which I believe the entirety of the main characters are the protagonist. The main characters of FF7, excluding Cait Sith. Don't really like 8. 9 was good. Everything else after it sucked, a whole lot of existential, parallel universe mumbo-jumbo, followed by men and women so androgynous it was like watching porcelain dolls with slightly different shades of paint for skin, limp around in some sad charade of a Final Fantasy game.

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
Favorites: Steiner, Auron, Freya and Cid.
Steiner is my overall favorite :)

Least favorites: Selphie from ff8. Overall I was ok with final fantasy characters until XII came along, seriously despised Vhaan.

Bonus points: Laguna for having the best theme tune of any final fantasy character (imo!).

SalamanderJoe

Jun 28, 2010
Best - Auron or Cecil. They both steal the show.
Worst - Vaan. What strange ribs...

Best villan on a side note is Kefka - not only because of his story, but I beilieve he's still the only Final Fantasy bad guy to desire to be a God, AND succeeds. [sub](sorry if thats a spoiler but it has FF6 has been out two decades now...)[/sub]

MrPhyntch

Nov 4, 2009
I don't really have a favorite character. I love 6 and 9, but both of those are heavily ensemble pieces that one or two characters can't really stand out, as without any of the others (or at least certain others) they really can't stand on their own. Notable ones, however, would be Zidane and Locke. The lovable rouges. Mostly just being generally awesome and having great personalities, but Zidane especially I can attach to personally (not to mention that he's the main character of my favorite game).

darthricardo

May 7, 2010
Lightning, a-la FFXIII. I won't really explain why, save for saying she's just my kind of girl. That is all.

Ignatz_Zwakh

Sep 3, 2010
My fave would definitely go to Cecil. Ramza comes a close 2nd, but Cecil was one of my first real heroes as a child. I'd never witnessed a videogame character afflicted by such inner-turmoil before I played FFIV.

My least favorite is definitely Tidus (And pretty much all of X's cast). He had about as much personality as a piece of soggy cardboard. :mad:

acidk44

Oct 25, 2009
roninlevel said:
Julianking93 said:
Heh, no worries then. Besides, everyone's entitled to their own opinion. I know I'm one of the few who actually enjoy X-2, thinks XIII is one of the best in the series and that VIII can go to hell. I'm used to being the minority XD
I liked the X-2 game, strange as it was in comparison to all the others, though what could you expect from the first sequel, but XIII just rubs me wrong... no proper sidequest, no real exploring, no small stories and characters you can follow that dont really belong in the main game but still contribute to the feel of depht in the game... it just isnt Final Fantasy
you sir, i like.
in reality this is how i felt first time i did a post in escapist and subsequently got burn for it.

KefkaCultist

Jun 8, 2010
Favorite(s):
-Locke/Sabin/Mog/Edgar/Setzer (FF6)
-Zidane/Freya/Vivi (FF9)
-Red XIII/Vincent/Tifa/Cid (FF7)
-Rikku/Auron/Lulu (FF10)
-Black Mage (FF1/8-bit theater)

Neutral:
-Cloud (FF7)
-Squal (FF8)
-Lightning/Fang/Snow (FF13)
-Balthier (FF12)

Least Favorite(s):
-Hope/Sahz/Vanille (FF13)
-Vaan (FF12)
-Cait Sith/Barret/Yuffie/Aeris (FF7)
-Tidus/Wakka (FF10)

Sorry for the huge lists, but picking one favorite and one that I abhor is really hard.
I guess if I HAD to pick one I would chose Locke as my favorite and Vaan as my least since I could not suffer through more of FF12 because of him...

But... Kefka wins all!!!

KefkaCultist

Jun 8, 2010
SalamanderJoe said:
Best villan on a side note is Kefka - not only because of his story, but I beilieve he's still the only Final Fantasy bad guy to desire to be a God, AND succeeds. [sub](sorry if thats a spoiler but it has FF6 has been out two decades now...)[/sub]
Don't forget that after achieving that godhood he also destroys the entire world and retains that power for a long time unlike certain silver haired antagonists who maybe get a taste of power before being struck down by an emo punk. :p

acidk44

Oct 25, 2009
SalamanderJoe said:
Best - Auron or Cecil. They both steal the show.
Worst - Vaan. What strange ribs...

mmm... I feel you and I are going to have a "Sephiroth vs. Kefka" fan war... Except i tip my hat to you sir because i do recognize that Sephiroth just wanted to destroy everything (in an emo HAHA evil kinda way) and Kefka just had that... evil... Laugh. Plus everything he said was golden and IS still consider golden today by most FF fans...

But alas I grew up with Sephiroth and the entire cast of FF-7 (that and considering i had 3 copies of the game; YEP 3 COPIES)...

MMM... What is your opinion on this matter, sir?