Favorite lets play? Tell us about who you love to watch or what makes somthing fun to follow.

Jul 13, 2010
Divein53 said:
I gotta go Nerd Cubed. Posts several types of videos each week, does regular crossovers and each video contains as much awkwardness as humanly possible.

http://m.youtube.com/user/OfficialNerdCubed
Second this one, Nerd Cubed is definitely my favorite. As for why, his video's are almost always very funny, plus he edits them, which deals with the long bits of mundanity that puts me off most lets players

Jiffex

Dec 11, 2011
Jesse Cox, Dodger, Achievement Hunter and Jim Sterling are the ones I watch a lot. Although with Achievement hunter I find I only like the videos with at least 3-4 players (Not including their game time series) unless it's Gavin with someone because he seems the only one who really gels with everyone. And the Polaris tourneys are usually pretty good but I only tend to watch if people like AngryJoe, TotalBiscuit, Jesse and Dodger are in them like the recent Chivalry tourney.

jdogtwodolla

phbbhbbhpbhphbhpbttttt......
Feb 12, 2009
for good let's plays, I like Chuggaconroy followed by David64yt. They both care about and respect what they are doing and respect the people that what they do possible.

For bad let's plays I like GameGrumps. Some of what they do are good, but the majority of the stuff is just eh to shit. But I just can't stop watching them.

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
Kikoskia, he's funny and plays the right kinds of games.
I especially liked his Lands of Lore and Deus Ex Let's Plays, but the "joke LPs" (Pokemon and Mario homebrews, Crystal's Pony Tale, Barbie etc.) are also great. He also doesn't really do the fake "anger" or "outrage" or "scared" crap, he seems rather natural in his clips. I can't stand the pseudo-emotive/over-the-top breed of Let's Players.

New Frontiersman

Feb 2, 2010
Neronium said:
New Frontiersman said:
I don't watch many Let's Plays, but The Lady of the Lake [http://www.youtube.com/user/xXtheLadyoftheLakexX] is probably my favorite Youtube Let's Player. Mostly because I know her in real life and we're good friends.
Hey I know her, we talk all the time with each other actually. XD
Oh wow! That's cool, we know the same people. Small world, I guess. XD

So, do you guys talk on Youtube?

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
New Frontiersman said:
Neronium said:
New Frontiersman said:
I don't watch many Let's Plays, but The Lady of the Lake [http://www.youtube.com/user/xXtheLadyoftheLakexX] is probably my favorite Youtube Let's Player. Mostly because I know her in real life and we're good friends.
Hey I know her, we talk all the time with each other actually. XD
Oh wow! That's cool, we know the same people. Small world, I guess. XD

So, do you guys talk on Youtube?
We mainly talk on Game Anyone. I helped her out when she first joined there. We talk from time to time on YouTube as well.

Someone Depressing

Jan 16, 2011
Either Yahtzee's LPs he does on his channel, with his friend (his channel's called Yahtzee19, btw),

or Supergreatfriend, whose sheer deadpan smugness itself is amazing.

garjian

Mar 25, 2009
You know what? I've just come across them and I really enjoy LoadingReadyRun's GPLPs. I wish they'd do more.
I can barely tolerate most LPers, but I do watch a lot of LPs these days. Almost anything that slowbeef and Diabetus do together is good, GPLP as I said... err... I suppose Miles923's (a.k.a Maximilian) various fighting game videos count as LPs and if so, I do watch those, though they are losing their luster.

I can't tolerate acting, screaming, terrible gameplay, and there needs to be either a very interesting individual or good chemistry between the LPers, with interesting things to say about the game.

I do like Yogscast's Minecraft mod videos, but that's mostly due to the mods themselves all being so interesting in themselves... and Lewis and Simon are sometimes funny, and at least bearable.

If you've got any recommendations for me, I need some more channels to follow... Yahtzee doing LPs sounds good, so I might check that out.

Edit: I felt I wanted to mention Jim Sterling's for some reason. He could be pretty good at it if he'd just slow down and stick to games he actually gives a crap about. In a couple of his that I have watched he's been depressingly disinterested... but he's a pretty funny guy and has some unorthodox favourites that I'd like to see him play.
Otherwise, maybe a partner would help him keep spirits up.

Darklord008

Dec 14, 2011
Number one is definitely Achievement Hunter, and the reasons why have mostly been mentioned already. Great cast, with personalities that play off well against each other, lots of running jokes, and ( I think) a good mix of players who are "good", like Ray, Ryan, and Michael, and the "bad (in a funny way)" ones, like Geoff and Gavin. Of course that's not to say each of them can't occupy both categories at any given time.

Other than that, Game Grumps is always fun (and I may be in the minority, but I think Dan is better than Jon, but not by much),, especially with their other shows, and LoadingReadyRun's stuff is good. Which is why I'm incredibly happy they're gonna start doing a ton of LP stuff next year.

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
I'm a Game Grumps fan, and the associated stuff like Steam Train.

I know this puts me in the minority, but I actually like the series better with Danny in it. Jon-Tron is still really funny, but I think he works better with his own show. Also I feel like since Danny joined they seem to finish a lot more of their games, which is something I really appreciate with Lets Plays (still waiting for the rest of Secret of Mana...)

Sinc3riT

May 5, 2011
Robot Number V said:
Vykrel said:
Achievement Hunter, especially their Minecraft and GTA Let's Plays.
YES. Someone gets it. Clever game concepts, big, varied cast, a ridiculously large stable of running jokes, and above all, hilarious commentary. Actually, damn near everything Rooster Teeth produces is great. You don't even know what "funny" means until you've seen "Rage Quit: Surgeon Simulator".
Oh the Surgeon Simulator Rage Quit. Every time I introduce people to Achievement Hunter I start them off with that video. Fairly short (at least the first part) and just filled with hilarity.

But yes, as mentioned by many, the fantastic cast and varied styles and games chosen in their Let's Plays has them far and away as my favorite.

GodzillaGuy92

Jul 10, 2012
You positively can't go wrong with any of the retsupurae-affiliated guys - who, incidentally, Yahtzee himself plugged in the last Escapist Expo. You need only look at slowbeef (who, for those who don't know, invented the video LP and moderates the Let's Play subforum on Something Awful) playing through Dead to Rights [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EUsVJ1nuyo] or Dead to Rights Retribution [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8eQxmB-zjw], Diabetus one hundred percenting Super Mario Galaxy 2 [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPSuirFtKSA], or ChipCheezum and General Ironicus S-ranking every fight in Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysmPa2RwAa4] to see exactly how it's done. In fact, Yahtzee wrote a bit about the latter two on this very website [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/columns/extra-punctuation/8703-Lets-Talk-About-Lets-Play.2] (the "50 Cent guys"), and TotalBiscuit pointed to the linked Metal Gear Rising video as an example of what all LPs should be like.

And, as mentioned in Yahtzee's article, the best Let's Plays revolve around the game itself rather than the people playing them. There's a reason why probably the best content Game Grumps ever produced is still the first third of Sonic '06, and why its quality drooped significantly once they stopped paying the game itself much attention.

likalaruku

Nov 29, 2008
*Peanutbuttergamer's Zelda LPs. He adds some humor to it & I enjoy the style of editing he & JonTron use.

*JesuOtaku's YuYu Hakusho & Zelda LPs. No inane chit-chat; she reviews them while playing them.

*Benzaie & MarzGurl's hilarious LetsFap LPs where he does the women's voices & she plays the guy.

*MarzGurl's Land Before Time LP, where she mocks how stupid the game the entire time.

*LittleKuriboh's fully voice acted/roleplayed "Marik/Atem Plays" series. Especially the Slender & Fallout ones.

*Kikoskia's mock "Let's Play Crazy Bus" is short & sarcastically funny.

Right E O said:
Im still a fan of Video Games Awesome.

Some of the most happy go lucky letsplayers out there, some of their old stuff is legendarily good. For anyone looking for a good place to start, their letsplay of Heavy Rain is tremendous and the production quality is higher than any other lets play I've ever seen.
I miss the way their show was before they joined Channel Awesome. It had a very Homestar Runner sense of humor & they all roleplayed ridiculous characters. Dad was comic gold.

Last Hugh Alive

Jul 6, 2011
Two/Super Best Friends Play is my favourite thing on YT.

Matt and Pat are a genuinely funny duo and that's probably what people watch them for. But I admire their knowledge enthusiasm for the games they play, even the games they clearly resent. It's their obvious passion for videogames that makes the Best Friends more admirable than LP'ers who focus their show on themselves.

joshuaayt

Vocal SJW
Nov 15, 2009
Two Best Friends are probably my favourite- But I wouldn't say I watch them for the same reason I watch other LPs. I mostly just love hearing them talk about shit, and learning tonnes about the industry. They have a weekly podcast, and if they stopped LPs and worked purely on podcasts every other day (You know, committing career suicide in the process), I'd not skip a beat.

After those guys, though, my vote goes to ChipCheezum and General Ironicus. I'll sit through anything for these guys. Except maybe one or two of their earlier videos, where they didn't do uncut audio- I find the cutscenes too boring without their commentary, that's how much I love them.

Jun 20, 2013
Phreakindee (Lazy game reviews). Not really let's plays, his non-review series is closer to what TotalBiscuit does. He is hilarious.
Yahtzee. Probably cheating to mention him here, but I really do enjoy his lets plays.

Idlemessiah

Zombie Steve Irwin
Feb 22, 2009
I'm a pretty big Hat Films fan. The always have a long term Minecraft LP on the go, currently one in Feed The Beast and another in a custom skyblock with Sips from the Yogscast. They're also doing a lot in Worms, GTA online and Battlefield 4.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Rage Select. Jason and Jeff are two of the funniest guys on the internet. They really deserve more notoriety. Ah, Rage Select, the classiest lets play videos on the the web.

slysean

Jul 16, 2012
Fox12 said:
Rage Select. Jason and Jeff are two of the funniest guys on the internet. They really deserve more notoriety. Ah, Rage Select, the classiest lets play videos on the the web.
Fellow Rager, excellent choice.