Favorite robots

Vacher2

May 15, 2013
It's got to be Clank, oh that giggle.

and Legion; the first time he fights with you is just amazing.

Quala

Mar 18, 2009
Really? I'm the first one? Come on guys:

Soundwave is ALWAYS superior.

gigastrike

Jul 13, 2008
Always been a fan of the Cougar from Battletech:

Also, who could forget this little bundle of love?

Kurt Cristal

Mar 31, 2010
Asclepion said:
Tanis said:
Two in one:
I will crush you.

-cries-

Seriously though, between all adaptations of the story, when will Motoko learn that taking on a tank (or mobile suit in SAC) solo is just a really bad idea. Also, the Tachikomas rule. It's weird when you think about it. They're... cute. But if you showed someone a picture of them who haven't seen the show and told them that a heavily armed quadrupedal military tank is the cutest character on an action-oriented anime, they probably wouldn't believe you.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
No one has said Big O or Burning Gundam yet, so there ya go. I love me some Big O, although every character Steve Blum voiced after that was Roger to me. Shame about the ending.

Sable Gear

Mar 26, 2009
Leemaster777 said:
Other than the obvious, I think I'll also throw a vote on Beast Wars Silverbolt
He was always my favorite character in Beast Wars.
Meh, I liked him better when he was Jetstorm.

Also the HAL9000 from 2001: A Space Odyssey, moreso the book, though the movie did give him a lovely haunting charm with that voice.

Kinitawowi

Nov 21, 2012
I'm trying to maintain a distinction between robots and androids (otherwise it'd be a three-way fight between Kryten, Data and the T-800)...

Johnny 5 (> Wall-E)
The bomb disposal robot from The IT Crowd (cheap though it may be, the Vista gag is epic)
Stabim (...have you met our skutter?) (in fact screw it, all the skutters)
Cassius, Razer, HypnoDisc and Gemini

Xpwn3ntial

Avid Reader
Dec 22, 2008
Quala said:

I would have, but you took it from me.

Robot as a character: Well, Soundwave and HK-47 have been taken, so I'll go with good ol' Megs.

He may be evil, he may be a jerk, but damn if he isn't cool. He seems to actually care about his subordinates (except Starscream) and is willing to put his men before his pride.

Robot tool: The new XV-104 Riptide Battlesuit. This thing is a work of art.
It uses either a heavy plasma gattling gun or a particle accelerator that shoots ions.

Did I mention it's powered by dark matter?

I probably shouldn't like something so new this much, but it's just so cool. It's specs, its look, its history. All of it are excellent.

GodzillaGuy92

Jul 10, 2012
Pinkamena said:
Aerosteam said:
I expected more of this robot to appear in the thread. You monster.
I don't really look at her as a robot, more of an AI.
In Portal, sure. But whereas in the first game her "body" genuinely felt like a giant computer that merely projected a voice as opposed to being a literal body, in Portal 2 her physical expressiveness and articulation lands her pretty squarely in "robot" territory. Which is part of the reason her overall Portal 2 characterization is notably inferior to that of the first game. Even so, I'd be lying if I said that even this worsened presentation of GLaDOS didn't still make for one of my all-time favorite robotic characters. (Along with Wheatley, while I'm on the subject.) As for the others...

CrimsonBlaze

Aug 29, 2011
My favorite robot has got to be the unstoppable battle android KOS-MOS from the Xenosaga series.

She may not be a Transformer, but believe me when I say that there's more to her than meets the eye.

O maestre

Nov 19, 2008
Quala said:

Dammit man, after reading the OT i got all giddy and indecisive about which Soundwave pic to use..... turn to page 2 and well.... sigh.

could do a request? could you at least change your text/caption to "Soundwave superior, other mechanoids, inferior"

I guess ill take Skywarp, who arguably has the most useful ability of all the Transformers, namely teleportation, but he is to stupid to utilize it for more than pulling juvenile pranks. Not even very creative or elaborate pranks, his idea of a joke, and the best utilization of his power comes down to teleporting behind his victim and pushing them to the ground. Skywarp is what would happen if a stereotypical dumb jock got superpowers that didn't amplify strength, if Skywarp had gotten invisibility he would have used it to peep on the fem-bots, like a true broformer.

and an honourable mention to the bat bot from kingdom come

Looking like something out of a 40k wet, hot, fever dream, a combined package of awesome medieval and menacing pointy bits, it is Batmans millionaire "suck it" to the rest of the super(super) rich. It is undeniably awesome.... because its Batbot!

LrgLives

May 14, 2013
Since a lot of my favourites have already being mentioned, I am just going to put Futurama's Hedonism Bot out there.

I would love to live in a future where we thought the creation of Hedonism Bot was necessary.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
Squashed. Dead. Disassemble. Dead. ...No! No Disassemble!

Big props to Torg from Santa Claus Conquers the Martians and Huey, Dewey, and Louie from Silent Running

WhyBotherToTry

Jun 22, 2011
The lack of more Clank upsets me. I am very disappoint, Escapist.

Also, Courtney Gears from R&C 3. That song she sings is stupid catchy!

ShipofFools

Apr 21, 2013
Aww yeah, Robots. I love them. Here's my top 5:

Robbie the Robot from Forbidden Planet. A Three Laws Compliant robot build with the lost technology of the Krell, an alien species that disappeared under mysterious circumstances. Helpful, intelligent, and uniquely for it's time, not a rampaging monster.

It's not really a robot, more like a giant computer that fills an entire spaceship. I think it's close enough to count, and if I have to explain why he is such a cool robot, that means you haven't seen Space Odyssey yet and you should do that right now.

When the alien bringer of peace needs to back up his words with firepower, he brings out a robot that has the power to destroy everything, or give life to the dead. Perhaps the most advanced robot in fiction, save perhaps for my number one robot of all time.

Kryten is a humanoid robot from the distant future. His only joy in life is serving human beings, although when the Red Dwarf crew found him, only one living human remained in the universe. Exceptionally fussy, neurotic and, at times, very rude, he is the funniest and most lovable robot you've ever seen.

R. Daneel Olivaw, a humaniform robot from the Asimov novels. In his first appearance he teams up with Earth detective Elijah Bailey to uncover an interplanetary conspiracy. But he becomes increasingly worried about the future of humanity, and with the help of the psychic robot Giskard and a limitless supply of logic, he tries to overcome his programming so that he can serve humanity as a whole, even if this means taking actions that would violate the First Law of Robotics!

A gentleman, a scholar, and the greatest protector humanity will ever have, this robot is by far my favourite. Just talking about him on the internet does not do the great stories of Asimov any justice, so I'll stop now.

ManaAdvent

Apr 16, 2010
What? No mention of this adorable and playable little guy?
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/groups/view/Adventure-Time

GodzillaGuy92

Jul 10, 2012
LtWigglesworth said:
How am I the first to post this?
Oh, crap. Yeah, how are you the first to post that? (Which reminds me, has Bishop been mentioned yet? Either way, consider him added to my selection.)