Favorite Video Game Weapons?

Ayame Murasaki

Crazy cannibal elf chick.
Mar 28, 2014
The shovel from Silent Hill 4. *waves PS2 flag* I will murder you with a smack to the head and then bury the body! ...I just love it when mundane objects can be turned into weapons. Postal 2 was a lot of fun that way. And, guess what, Postal 2 also let you kill people with a shovel! Are we sensing a theme here?

wings012

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 7, 2011
Country
Malaysia
Armed and Dangerous - Land Shark Gun and Topsy Turvy bomb.

Glongpre

Jun 11, 2013
CoCage said:
<spoiler=Final Fight 1 - The Lead Pipe>http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/capcomdatabase/images/e/e8/Final_Fight_Haggar_Pipe.png/revision/latest?cb=20141022164842

Respect the pipe! Respect it!
Haha, this reminds of the crowbar, from Road Rash 3. The best.

Also,
Close number 2 is Mr.X's laugh.

Diablo 2
For my Zealadin

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
Souplex said:
Dark Souls 1 & 3, and to muuuuuch lesser extent 2: Dragonslayer Spear. (And to a much lesser extent the swordspear in 3) High damage, high reach, great stat scaling, great flavor.
What would you consider the ideal build for wielding that weapon?

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
Glongpre said:
CoCage said:
<spoiler=Final Fight 1 - The Lead Pipe>http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/capcomdatabase/images/e/e8/Final_Fight_Haggar_Pipe.png/revision/latest?cb=20141022164842

Respect the pipe! Respect it!
Haha, this reminds of the crowbar, from Road Rash 3. The best.

Also,
Close number 2 is Mr.X's laugh.

Diablo 2
For my Zealadin
Nice ones. I love how you included the most spammable move in Street of Rage 2. You can't have Axel without that move.

That hammer actually made me feel nostalgic for Diablo 2. What a beast, and with fast attack speed too.

heartily24

Mar 23, 2012
Dark souls II - fume knight ultra great sword
ME3 - Javelin
Ragnarok Journey - Assassin Katar
Dead Space - Plasma Cutter

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Ezekiel said:
Don't know. But I'm sick and tired of Japanese swords being in everything, as I said in my Off-topic thread.
*Teleports behind you*
"Are you insulting my 500 year old blade that had its metal folded 1000 times?"

OT: Lots to chose from

Halo 2 - Energy Sword
They're terrifying when you come against the Elites wielding these in the first game. Finally getting to use them yourself in Halo 2 and then taking it into multiplayer as well was very satisfying.

TES - Chillrend
It was my favourite sword in Oblivion because of how fast and powerful it was. I honestly thought it was a little too obscure to show up in Skyrim again, so I was pretty excited when I saw that it just happened to be in Mercer's basement (though I do have to wonder why he wasn't using it instead of his other weapon).

007 Nightfire - Sentinel
It's like the predator missiles from CoD, only you get more of them and you fire it off your shoulder and fly it around the map. Stupidly OP, but a lot of fun to use. It did have some really cool counter play though in that you could shoot the missile out of the sky. Many fun splitscreen moments were had around this weapon.

Guild Wars 2 - Warrior Greatsword
This is the reason why warrior is my favourite profession. You've got a satisfying auto-attack, an exciting high damage skill, a strong evade/movement skill, some range and CC, and a high mobility initiator. It's easily my favourite moveset in the game.

Mount and Blade Warband - Any lance
There are few things in gaming that are more satisfying than leading a huge cavalry charge into an enemy flank and couching your lance directly into an enemy lord's skull.

Edit: Pretty sure I'd be doing a huge disservice if I didn't mention my favourite Souls series weapons

Dark Souls 3 - Ringed Knight Paired Greatswords
Yes, I know the phantom range of the L1 is stupid, but these are just so damn fun. They're ridiculous in PvE and pretty good in PvP.

Dark Souls 2 - Ricard's Rapier
The R2 is just dumb, but in a fun way. Also, rapiers were by far my favourite dex weapons in this game.

Dark Souls - Claymore
Just an all-around solid moveset with great damage. Plus, you get it early on in the game, so you get to fully appreciate its greatness from almost start to finish.

Edit 2: I just remembered... Saints Row 4 - Dubstep Gun
I normally hate dubstep, but this gun is just so fun. It's extremely powerful and random people start dancing while you fire it. Everything comes together so nicely for this weapon that I actually find myself enjoying the song it plays as I shoot alien ships out of the sky.

Kerg3927

Jun 8, 2015
American Tanker said:
#1: Kassa Fabrications M-12 Locust, Mass Effect 2: ME2 specifically because it got nerfed into the dirt in ME3, which is a damned shame. But honestly, this was my go-to weapon for the times I played ME2 as something other than a Soldier(though I only ever played Infiltrator and Sentinel, and my main was still a Soldier). It pretty much obsoleted every assault rifle in the game that wasn't the M-76 Revenant: better DPS and accuracy than any of the full auto rifles, with more ammo than the burst-fire M-15 Vindicator or semi-auto M-96 Mattock. It also had the same damage multiplier against Armor as the regular ARs, at the expense of its damage multiplier against Shields and Barriers being the same as that of ARs. It made Assault Rifle Training on the Collector Cruiser a waste since the Locust performed better at medium range than the full auto rifles, while shotguns gave you better close combat performance and sniper rifles gave you better long range.
I never played with the Locust because I always played a Soldier, but the Mattock is absolutely deadly in the hands of a Soldier with Adrenaline Rush. It's accurate enough to snipe with and get head shots. Low ammo is its weakness, but if you're careful and going for head shots, you don't need much ammo.

In fact, I intentionally quit using the Mattock after my first playthough, even though it's awesome. It's just too OP.

My favorite weapon from the ME trilogy is the M-98 Widow.

Wrex Brogan

Jan 28, 2016
Dark Souls 3 - The Dark Sword. Fast, good range and an S-scaling when Heavy? Hell yes. Plus I get so many delightful messages from people when I whip the piss out of them with in in PvP :D

Fallout: New Vegas - The Laser Rifle. Fully modded this thing is fantastic with a Crit build, with it's only downside being that it wears out super quickly.

Salt and Sanctuary - The Jaws of Death. It's a giant pair of scissors that you can use as a greatsword. Fantastic.

Sunless Sea - The Memento Mori. Strongest weapon in the game and it's also surprisingly easy to get a hold of, great for punching holes in Zeebeasts. Plus it's attacks look pretty cool compared to the other guns.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution - The Revolver. Explosive rounds and common ammo make it incredibly useful, either 1 or 2 shotting enemies during a lethal run or letting you deal with Robots and bosses quickly on a pacifist run. Plus it just looks so good.

Warframe - The Braton Prime. This is just... such a nice gun. Not a game breaker like the Sancti Tigris or the Tonkor, but a fun gun to take along for mid-to-high level missions. The only downsides to it is that it's damage is a little tilted in favour of slash damage (weak against armoured targets) and that you NEED an ammo conversion mod for it since it goes through rounds fast and only has enough spare ammo for 4 reloads, but everything else about it just makes it so nice.

Warframe - Brakk Hand Cannon. Like the Braton Prime, this is a good gun - not gonna break the game, but it's still a lot of fun to play with. Plus it's one of the rare few hand shotguns that is actually fun to use, since it's got solid damage and not-god-awful range. The best part is when you kill an enemy with it it's got a tendency of sending them flying across the room since it's very heavily tilted towards Impact damage which does some... weird shit with ragdolls.

Catnip1024

Jan 25, 2010
The Galil in Black Ops one. Good times...

In more fantasy settings, I'd go for the bodge-job custom-enchanted knife in Oblivion, which drained 100hp for one second and effectively killed everything at low levels instantly. Or any knife in Skyrim, once you levelled up sneak enough.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
In both Doom and Doom 2 the basic shotgun is a favorite of mine. I like the Super Shotgun but I hate reloading after each shot. The vanilla shotty though is almost always useful, you almost always have ammo for it and it is just really fun to use.

As bad as I am in Starcraft, I love playing humans and cheesing the AI to the point that I can just annihilate an enemy stronghold with nukes.

I have a love/hate thing with the plasma grenades in the Halo series. Even on Legendary, tagging an enemy with one is a one-hit kill and just straight-up satisfying. Incendiary grenades are alright too and they get the job done but there's more satisfaction in using the plasma grenades effectively. They're the only weapon in the Halo series that have been noticeably nerfed that I can tell (unlike just about every other weapon in the franchise).

I really like bullet-based weapons in the Fallout 3, New Vegas and 4 series. I like shattering/splattering enemies more than gooifying them or turning them to ash. Specifically, I have a love of the 44. Magnum, Chinese Assault Rifle and even the 9mm Pistol.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Fallout 1 & 2

Solar Scorcher
Flamer
Super Sledge
Gauss Rifle
Light Support Weapon
Vindicator Minigun
Goris the Deathclaw

For Fallouts 3 and New Vegas, it's pretty much a load of all the special weapons.

Fallout 4

Lucky Big Shot - My maxed-out 10mm built up from a Lucky 10mm Pistol.
Long Time No See - My maxed-out Sniper Rifle from a rifle with better criticals.
Foghorn Leghorn - Paladin Danse's rifle with alot of bells and whistles, like burning effect.
Mr. Meltdown - Mr custom plasma rifle that had Burning already installed, basically a plasma shotgun.
Hammerhead - My Gauss Rifle, tricked out and dangerous as hell.

Also, Dogmeat.

American Tanker

Feb 25, 2015
Kerg3927 said:
I never played with the Locust because I always played a Soldier, but the Mattock is absolutely deadly in the hands of a Soldier with Adrenaline Rush. It's accurate enough to snipe with and get head shots. Low ammo is its weakness, but if you're careful and going for head shots, you don't need much ammo.

In fact, I intentionally quit using the Mattock after my first playthough, even though it's awesome. It's just too OP.
The thing is, in my eyes the Mattock's out-performed in its role by the M-97 Viper sniper rifle, mostly because of the scope. It's certainly better for Soldiers and especially Infiltrators to just run the Viper instead. They're both strong semi-auto rifles with high accuracy at long range, so the Viper having a scope gives it more use at extreme range, even if that does come at the cost of close range effectiveness. But then, for close range, you'd use a shotgun or SMG instead.

In fact, my Infiltrator, which came stock with SR training, I gave a shotgun on the Collector Cruiser, even though I always just used the Locust instead.

My Sentinel, though, I ran with a sniper rifle, specifically the Viper. Sentinel in ME2 was fun as hell, considering you had Overload to strip Shields and kill Geth, Warp to strip Barriers and stop Krogan from regenerating, then I added Garrus's Armor-Piercing Ammo to boost up my firepower. AP ammo in ME2 was honestly kinda OP'd, seeing as it gave up to +70% damage against anything that had either Health or Armor. That plus the Locust made my Sentinel a lot more effective as a mid-range shooter than should have been possible. With maxed out Tech Armor, my Sentinel was a walking tank that could deal with anything in my way. Squad mates were pretty much unneeded.

Kerg3927

Jun 8, 2015
American Tanker said:
Kerg3927 said:

The thing is, in my eyes the Mattock's out-performed in its role by the M-97 Viper sniper rifle, mostly because of the scope. It's certainly better for Soldiers and especially Infiltrators to just run the Viper instead. They're both strong semi-auto rifles with high accuracy at long range, so the Viper having a scope gives it more use at extreme range, even if that does come at the cost of close range effectiveness. But then, for close range, you'd use a shotgun or SMG instead.

In fact, my Infiltrator, which came stock with SR training, I gave a shotgun on the Collector Cruiser, even though I always just used the Locust instead.

My Sentinel, though, I ran with a sniper rifle, specifically the Viper. Sentinel in ME2 was fun as hell, considering you had Overload to strip Shields and kill Geth, Warp to strip Barriers and stop Krogan from regenerating, then I added Garrus's Armor-Piercing Ammo to boost up my firepower. AP ammo in ME2 was honestly kinda OP'd, seeing as it gave up to +70% damage against anything that had either Health or Armor. That plus the Locust made my Sentinel a lot more effective as a mid-range shooter than should have been possible. With maxed out Tech Armor, my Sentinel was a walking tank that could deal with anything in my way. Squad mates were pretty much unneeded.
Yeah, I can see that. I never used the Viper much because of aesthetics. I like the more powerful feel of the Widow (or Mantis before that). I just prefer one shot one kill sniper rifles.

American Tanker

Feb 25, 2015
Metal Arms: Glitch in the System

Rivet Gun
Shoots rivets that are so long they are basically steel arrows
At level 2 they explode
When upgraded to level 3 the player can hold down the trigger to power up the explosion and release to detonate
Great fun in multiplayer - shoot your friend and then run off to leave them with an arrow in their head which at full charge will take 1/3 of their health

Honorable mention

Tether Gun
Whats not to love about a gun that shoots silly string and lets you take control of enemy bots to mow down underlings with
Also can be used as a distraction tool that bots will investigate the source of which I only found out on my 6th or so playthrough

Tenchu: Wrath of Heaven

Sticky Bomb
A red ninja star that resembles a pinwheel
The description reads that it detonates with R3
I had never used R3 in any ps2 game before so I actually had to look in the manual to see what devil magic they were referring to
That day I learned R3 was the best input they could have possibly chosen as it just felt so damn satisfying

Honorable mention

Dokuto
A set of dual blades which are stained red and radiate green flame/hue
They are also poisonous
You actually have to bring antidotes with you as by simply drawing the blades will poison you which I find ads a lot of personality to them given their purpose is to take life
To top it off the poison they inflict on enemies does an incredible amount of damage

Fallout 3

Mysterious Stranger's .44 Magnum
See, when I first got to Megaton I gave myself this weapon and proceeded to kill NPCs for about 50 hours
Only finished the game years later

Honorable mention

Experimental MIRV
The Fat Man x8

Warhawk

Mines
They were like circle frige magnets and you could throw them anywhere (can't stress the anywhere part enough) but they beeped alerting enemies there was one nearby and gave off a faint blue/red beam only visible in close range making them the most fair game mine I've come across in online play
Have pilots flying in to grab the flag? Mine the flag
Cleared them all using an electric pulse? Mine the escape route
They got passed the above? Mine the getaway car
Force them to drive in next time? Mine their hawks
There's a guy air raiding your base over half the map away from a location only reachable by hawk? Kill him, mine his nest then leave an air mine near his binocular spawn
If he don't quit it repeat as needed
It is a glorious feeling to see the kill feed role in and having a single player die exactly in the order you've placed your 4 allotted mines in

Vassassell

May 4, 2017
Goddamn Gunlance from Monster Hunter. I mean, it's a goddamn lance that can be used as a shotgun. Also it can be overcharged for a veeeery huge and satisfying blast. And it's dodge moves are longest in the game too. Also you can propell yourself forward, using it as a jet engine. And despite looking highly impractil, it's actually jack of all trades type of weapon. Can't keep up with monster's head because of how heavy weapon is? No matter, shots ignore armor and do fixated damage no matter the part. Also it's long enough to sewer tails and can be shot in any direction, making bringing airborne enemies down possible.

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
Gauche said:
Tenchu: Wrath of Heaven

Dokuto
A set of dual blades which are stained red and radiate green flame/hue
They are also poisonous
You actually have to bring antidotes with you as by simply drawing the blades will poison you which I find ads a lot of personality to them given their purpose is to take life
To top it off the poison they inflict on enemies does an incredible amount of damage
n
Ah yes. Those were the best. Not only did the poison damage them, but it made them keep flinching whenever they took poison damage. Considering how good most of them were at blocking, this made all the extra openings they left very welcome.

Alduin Silas

Aug 3, 2011
Guns:
Secura Penta- Warframe: You choose when to detonate this grenade launcher, and by god is it satisfying when you get a penta-kill (get it? ;P ) or more by landing a grenade in a cluster of enemies at the right time.
Combat Shotgun- Fallout 4: Mine was a legendary Freezing, but the satisfaction of taking down Deathclaws with this thing was amazing, such a powerful weapon.
Maliwan Rifles- BL2: ALL the elemental damage! :p and quite accurate.
Blades:
ORTHOS PRIME- Warframe: One number, one word. 300,000+ kills.
Katana- L4D2: One blade, an infinite number of zombie necks, and ever the twain shall meet.