FBI Reportedly Arrests LulzSec Hacker (Or Not)

Adventurer2626

Jan 21, 2010
Starke said:
Adventurer2626 said:
You don't kill a hydra by cutting of heads and limbs. You isolate it and starve it.
No, in the legend, you cut off a head and cauterize the stump before it can grow new ones. Sorry, you bjorked up your metaphor, and that kinda killed your argument for me.
Sorry, never actually read any original stories involving them; it's always been filtered by pop culture and the "telephone game." What if I called them out for what they are? Cyber terrorists. Treat them as you would dealing with that beast. Better?

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
Adventurer2626 said:
Starke said:
Adventurer2626 said:
You don't kill a hydra by cutting of heads and limbs. You isolate it and starve it.
No, in the legend, you cut off a head and cauterize the stump before it can grow new ones. Sorry, you bjorked up your metaphor, and that kinda killed your argument for me.
Sorry, never actually read any original stories involving them; it's always been filtered by pop culture and the "telephone game." What if I called them out for what they are? Cyber terrorists. Treat them as you would dealing with that beast. Better?
Well... if you want to call hydras "cyber terrorists" that's weird... but, you know, life goes on.

I'm fine with calling Lulzsec and Anon cyber terrorists. In particular a lot of Lulzsec's behavior really meshes in with the traditional "terrorist" motus operandi, they call their victim up, issue demands with a threat, and then the execute their threat when the victim doesn't acquiesce to their demands. Simple, clear cut, supply and demand.

As for starving out terrorists? It's a good idea, but it doesn't tend to work in reality.

Giest4life

The Saucepan Man
Feb 13, 2010
I guess I'm part of the minority opinion on this one, because I find this incredibly hilarious.

The Rookie Gamer

Mar 15, 2010
Trifixion said:
Apropos punishment for hackers:

1. Bring them into an interrogation room.

2. Tie them to a chair.

3. Smash one of their kneecaps with a sledgehammer.

4. When they scream in pain as a result of being smashed in the kneecap with a sledgehammer, say to them, "Hey, don't blame me, I'm just proving a point about how vulnerable the human knees are."

5. Repeat step 4 with varying body part targets until no longer funny. This may take a while.
Best suggestion so far. Of all time.

bob-2000

Jun 28, 2009
The Lulzsec people are like anonymous, but without the ideals. From all that I have seen, they are simply arrogant fools who have yet to realize the scale and consequences of their actions.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
Oh god, their logo has hacked Nyan cat into my brain DX

OT: The US goverment really doesn't know how to deal with the internet, hackers, or anything involving technology younger then the telegraph machine.

NLS

Norwegian Llama Stylist
Jan 7, 2010
Z(ombie)fan said:
rembrandtqeinstein said:
RT-Medic-with-shotgun said:
I find that example outdated. More like 'You can only taunt the big old dog so much before he tries to gum you to death and pulls hi ship out of place in the process" THAT is what taking on the USA is like.
This message brought to you from Texas so shut the fuck up you overly patriotic imbeciles & funded by the what are you proud of anyways foundation?
Awesome, friended.

Seriously I hope these kids (and they are kids) prove once and for all how utterly incompetent our government and corporate institutions are. Yet these same institutions claim the right to rule over and control us ordinary citizens "for our own good" and mercilessly punish anyone who doesn't toe the line.

As far as I'm concernt Lulzsec =

[image src="http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQsOuc00tBwKtM8SUR6f4uERCMECJDmLWmCiImlmneZ4VcYQAtnEA"]
not quite.

that guy had a point

these guys aren't trying to prove anything.
they are just dicks.
Well, they did prove Sony need to keep their stuff better secured (seriously, plain-text passwords and vulnerability to SQL-injection?)

Hatchet90

Nov 15, 2009
Trifixion said:

2. Tie them to a chair.

4. When they scream in pain as a result of being smashed in the kneecap with a sledgehammer, say to them, "Hey, don't blame me, I'm just proving a point about how vulnerable the human knees are."

5. Repeat step 4 with varying body part targets until no longer funny. This may take a while.
I thought they were breaking kneecaps for the lulz?

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Their name still pisses me off. It sounds utterly moronic.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
I'm ashamed no one on here seems to see the value in having vulnerable servers hacked.
Generally it costs a lot of money to get white hat security organizations to find vulnerabilities in your servers. LuzSec found the vulnerabilities then publicly disclosed them (known as grey hat hacking). What this does is forces lazy organizations who are practicing security through obscurity, or other incredibly flawed methods, to actually get off their asses and spend money to upgrade their servers and security.

They aren't black hats, and I see no real reason why everyone hates them so much.

Beardly

Jan 19, 2010
Trifixion said:

2. Tie them to a chair.

If you actually believe this then you are a terrible person.

erztez

Oct 16, 2009
Ah, the FBI, gotta love 'em.

Remember that one time when they arrested a guy for *maybe* clicking a link?

Thugs in suits that think they're any better than regular beat cops (they're not).
They do provide a LOT of entertainment though.

Shio

Jun 4, 2011
vrbtny said:
Go one lulsec! Poke that bull with a stick!
Because it will only go well for you. Honest!

Frank_Sinatra_ said:
Maxman3002 said:
Just out of interest, can the FBI arrest these guys if their not American citizens living in America?
That wouldn't be the FBI's jurisdiction, but they would give the info to the CIA to deal with it.
Personally I'd rather have the FBI knocking at my door rather than the CIA.

OT: That guy is so boned, and this should be a sign to LulzSec that the FBI isn't going to take this shit lying down.
Cause we proved we have no issue with invading a country supposedly to get one guy.
So... many... funny quotes today...

*one cookie for you*

Akalistos

Apr 23, 2010
mjc0961 said:
I really wish that bull would hurry up with the delivery of its horns to these clowns, though.
Well... if they are based in America and they get caught, they can be labeled as domestic terrorist and end up in Guantanamo. So, on one hand, I want them caught but on the other, that's one hell of a horn.

Z(ombie)fan

Mar 12, 2010
NLS said:
Z(ombie)fan said:
rembrandtqeinstein said:
I find that example outdated. More like 'You can only taunt the big old dog so much before he tries to gum you to death and pulls hi ship out of place in the process" THAT is what taking on the USA is like.
This message brought to you from Texas so shut the fuck up you overly patriotic imbeciles & funded by the what are you proud of anyways foundation?
Awesome, friended.

Seriously I hope these kids (and they are kids) prove once and for all how utterly incompetent our government and corporate institutions are. Yet these same institutions claim the right to rule over and control us ordinary citizens "for our own good" and mercilessly punish anyone who doesn't toe the line.

As far as I'm concernt Lulzsec =

[image src="http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQsOuc00tBwKtM8SUR6f4uERCMECJDmLWmCiImlmneZ4VcYQAtnEA"]
not quite.

that guy had a point

these guys aren't trying to prove anything.
they are just dicks.
Well, they did prove Sony need to keep their stuff better secured (seriously, plain-text passwords and vulnerability to SQL-injection?)
thats not their goal though, so they are JUST dicks

Gunner_Guardian

Jul 15, 2009
Lulzsec is basically Anonymous without it's ideals.... which is bad because Anonymous's ideals is what made them stable.

This can't end well...

Defense

Oct 20, 2010
AC10 said:
I'm ashamed no one on here seems to see the value in having vulnerable servers hacked.
Generally it costs a lot of money to get white hat security organizations to find vulnerabilities in your servers. LuzSec found the vulnerabilities then publicly disclosed them (known as grey hat hacking). What this does is forces lazy organizations who are practicing security through obscurity, or other incredibly flawed methods, to actually get off their asses and spend money to upgrade their servers and security.

They aren't black hats, and I see no real reason why everyone hates them so much.
They also asked for money so they could hack Sony more, and they apparently put the personal information up on the Internet.

Even if that wasn't the case, I think it's more because they have the most unlikable Internet persona ever. Everything they say makes them seem like incredible douchebags.