Feast Your Eyes On The Latest Captain America Trailer

Manji187

Jan 29, 2009
MetroidNut said:
I have a personal qualm with superhero movies - basically, I hate how every major character seems like a blatant Mary Sue, capable of brushing aside everything from a squad of commandos to a nuclear attack by waving a hand. Which was my main problem with X-Men: First Class - minor spoiler alert, but there's no tension in a massive bombardment against the main characters if Magneto can casually turn all their bombs around.

But this movie, assuming I'm correctly interpreting the trailers, fixes all that. Captain America's not a bulletproof god, capable of deflecting atomic missiles and destroying armies without blinking. He's a well-trained, strong-willed guy with extra muscle and a really good riot shield. That's it. He's vulnerable to ordinary weapons, and his most powerful attack is a handgun.

In short, Captain America doesn't seem like a Mary Sue, and thus the movie will have actual tension, sorely missing (if you ask me) from the average superhero film.
Mary Sue or not....he'll definitely have the obligatory, standard issue Plot Armor. Cuz heroes don't die...unless it's a fake death that sets up a surprise return.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
Marik2 said:
Very good trailer but I still love this one a bit more :p
oh my god I laughed SO hard xD

but yes, Captain America is looking to be very good. if anything...Tommy Lee Jones and Hugo Weaving are definitely two big sellers for me

MetroidNut

Sep 2, 2009
Manji187 said:
MetroidNut said:
Mary Sue or not....he'll definitely have the obligatory, standard issue Plot Armor. Cuz heroes don't die...unless it's a fake death that sets up a surprise return.
That's true, certainly, but Plot Armor's incredibly common and arguably necessary for most stories. Killing the protagonist halfway through wouldn't usually (though there are exceptions) make for a good plot. But Plot Armor, if gently-done, is barely noticeable - the hero doesn't survive anything too ridiculous, and it's the protagonist's skill and abilities keeping him alive, rather than inexplicable plot-required invincibility.

That said, it is still possible they'll botch the Plot Armor and have Captain America surviving battleship shells for no reason other than "he's the protagonist". I can only hope they won't do that.

Madara XIII

Sep 23, 2010
Sparrow said:
I am watching the shit out of this when it's released. Marvel have really knocked it out of the park with the Avengers films so far.
My sentiments exactly. Awesome movie looks awesome.

Madara XIII

Sep 23, 2010
Krion_Vark said:
starwarsgeek said:
arc1991 said:
That is one awesome trailer! Red mask looks awesome!

So that's Iron Man, Thor, Captain America...now i wonder who the other Avengers will be. If they are going for the original ones, then fair enough, but i would LOVE to see Spidey and Wolverine. (although somehow i doubt it will happen =\ )I mean come on, that's comedy gold right there xD Spidey's sarcastic humour mixed with Wolverines xD hehe

Just for the record, who are the other original Avengers? I know Antman was and i'm pretty sure Hawk Eye was as well, but i aint sure on the others =\
I think you're just missing Wasp. I never read the comics, though, so I could be wrong.

Edit: Just checked tvtropes. Hawk Eye was apparently not a founder. And Hulk will be in it too, of course, but who knows if he'll join the team or just be treated as a threat...

As for Wolverine and Spidey--that'd be funny, but the Spider-man movies are owned by Sony, and X-men by Fox, so they'd probably have to jump through a lot of hoops to include them. Besides, the Avengers is going to have a big cast already.
Hawkeye started out as a villain then became a prominate member of the Avengers. Looked into him after I could not remember his name from seeing the cameo
If they're doing Hawkeye then they ABSOLUTELY HAVE TO do Taskmaster and Deadpool! We all know what a badass Taskmaster is against the avengers and it'd be great to see him in a movie

Captcha: Iongsi Committee? Never heard of this mysterious organization.

Krion_Vark

Mar 25, 2010
Madara XIII said:
Krion_Vark said:
starwarsgeek said:
arc1991 said:

So that's Iron Man, Thor, Captain America...now i wonder who the other Avengers will be. If they are going for the original ones, then fair enough, but i would LOVE to see Spidey and Wolverine. (although somehow i doubt it will happen =\ )I mean come on, that's comedy gold right there xD Spidey's sarcastic humour mixed with Wolverines xD hehe

Just for the record, who are the other original Avengers? I know Antman was and i'm pretty sure Hawk Eye was as well, but i aint sure on the others =\
I think you're just missing Wasp. I never read the comics, though, so I could be wrong.

Edit: Just checked tvtropes. Hawk Eye was apparently not a founder. And Hulk will be in it too, of course, but who knows if he'll join the team or just be treated as a threat...

As for Wolverine and Spidey--that'd be funny, but the Spider-man movies are owned by Sony, and X-men by Fox, so they'd probably have to jump through a lot of hoops to include them. Besides, the Avengers is going to have a big cast already.
Hawkeye started out as a villain then became a prominate member of the Avengers. Looked into him after I could not remember his name from seeing the cameo
If they're doing Hawkeye then they ABSOLUTELY HAVE TO do Taskmaster and Deadpool! We all know what a badass Taskmaster is against the avengers and it'd be great to see him in a movie

You see Thor? Yeah Hawkeye is the one with the bow.

Madara XIII

Sep 23, 2010
Krion_Vark said:
Madara XIII said:
Krion_Vark said:
starwarsgeek said:
arc1991 said:

Oh sweetness! I wonder though how they plan on making a story for Taskmaster though :/. He's a villain with great potential and definitely is one of the more underrated villains of the Marvel Universe

Krion_Vark

Mar 25, 2010
Madara XIII said:
Krion_Vark said:
Madara XIII said:
Krion_Vark said:
starwarsgeek said:
arc1991 said:

Oh sweetness! I wonder though how they plan on making a story for Taskmaster though :/. He's a villain with great potential and definitely is one of the more underrated villains of the Marvel Universe
I haven't really read much on the Marvel Comics except Marvel Civil War but have read into a lot of the characters. Only read civil war because a friend of mine had it. I would actually read comics except they cost money which I didn't have until recently and I am more or less saving what I am getting now.

Vortigar

Nov 8, 2007
somonels said:
I can't wait to see the Red Skull movie... I mean this.
I lol-ed.
And agree wholeheartedly.

Madara XIII said:
I wouldn't get your hopes up for Tasky, especially with the Red Skull in the Cap America movie. An uninitiated audience wouldn't swallow a character that looks exactly like the villain of the last movie.

And with Hawkeye already established as a Shield operative in the Thor movie they're obviously not going to spend a lot of time on his back story.\

It's really cool he's in Marvel vs Capcom 3 though.

Madara XIII

Sep 23, 2010
Vortigar said:
somonels said:
I can't wait to see the Red Skull movie... I mean this.
I lol-ed.
And agree wholeheartedly.

Madara XIII said:
I wouldn't get your hopes up for Tasky, especially with the Red Skull in the Cap America movie. An uninitiated audience wouldn't swallow a character that looks exactly like the villain of the last movie.

And with Hawkeye already established as a Shield operative in the Thor movie they're obviously not going to spend a lot of time on his back story.\

It's really cool he's in Marvel vs Capcom 3 though.
But it's possible they could Re-vamp Taskmaster. I mean they HAVE to do Modok, considering he becomes the leader of A.I.M. If I'm correct, but Task Master is just so great. He has the Punisher's pistol, Hawkeye's Bow, Captain America's Shield, Spidey's Swing, Sword of Black Knight and alot more.

But what I really mean is just to put him as a villain at least. No need for backstory or anything, but they have to at least acknowledge the Avengers to that extent. I mean they remembered Hawkeye, One of the lesser known heroes of Marvel.

Gametek

May 20, 2011
vansau said:
snip...
You want a real Mary Sue super hero, go look up Dr. Manhattan. The man is a veritable god, capable of existing i multiple areas at once throughout the timeline, manipulating matter, growing and expanding as he sees fit, and is pretty much unstoppable. But he doesn't come off as much of a Mary Sue because he was handled well.
But the Mask is a totaly Mary Sue. His own esistence would be a spit at the face of phisic.