Female Game Characters Photoshopped to Average American Proportions

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
Lightknight said:
Elementary - Dear Watson said:
There are 7 pages of comments above mine, and I don't have the time to read all of the,, so I imagine this point is there already... but surely the characters SHOULD all be toned if they achieve what they do? I'd like to see the average American tubby lass outrun a T-Rex like Lara, or last 3 3-minute rounds with someone in a fight to the death like Jade form MK, or trek the entire globe beating monsters with her bare fists like Tifa...
How about hanging from a ledge by your fingertips for long periods of time? I'd love to see one of these doing that in real life at Ninja Warrior... Oh wait, every female that gets to that point have an even smaller body fat ratio than Lara due to having smaller breasts.

Quick, someone photoshop her to look fat so that people don't get the wrong idea about what a "healthy body type is..." :

http://www.self.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/22KaceyCatanzaroRealityShowHistory.jpg

So unhealthy... Oh wait, she is really healthy? Oh...

How dare the girl who was in shape enough to win American Ninja Warrior be in good shape!?? What kind of an example is she setting for women everywhere? [/sarcasm]
A good one I'd hope. Seeing the guys work that course makes me want to do some crunches (so I do.) The great thing about that show is it's 2 hours of ordinary Americans - yes, despite their bods, most are quite ordinary, with ordinary lives, ordinary jobs, and ordinary goals - getting their 2 minutes to shine on national television and a possible shot at $1M. This show does the thing that older, more institutionalized sports ceased doing decades ago - it inspires people to be better. I don't want my videogame characters to be average. If they were average it wouldn't be a power fantasy as most videogames are - it'd be The Sims. Pics like the ones shown remind me of Bob Chipman's reaction to Pixels, as I would have the exact same reaction if all videogame characters suddenly started looking like "average Americans".

WindKnight

Quiet, Odd Sort.
Legacy
Jul 8, 2009
Cephiro
Country
United Kingdom
http://www.boredpanda.com/athlete-body-types-comparison-howard-schatz/

These are various top athletes showing off their various bodytypes, both male and female.

Its fair to note that even those women with more slender physiques generally have curves and bodyshapes closer to the photoshopped images in the op than the originals.

MBE

Jul 1, 2009
"Laura Croft: Tomb Raider"? More like "Laura Croft: Buffet Raider"!

It's interesting that all these unrealistically athletic female characters were given obese proportions. You'd think that with all the running and jumping, etc., they do, they'd have lost their "freshman fifteen".

How about some realistic depictions of male protagonists? Instead of ruggedly handsome men with six-packs that look like (to plagiarize from Yahtzee) refrigerators with chia pets on top, they'd be homely looking guys with beer bellies. Looking at all these unrealistically handsome men make me feel insecure and hurt my self-esteem.

[Insert comment about Chris Redfield in Resident Evil 6 looks like he's smuggling cantaloupes in his biceps.]

Paragon Fury

The Loud Shadow
Jan 23, 2009
Yeah, no.

Most of the altered images are just showing that the United States has a problem with fatasses, not the other way around. Just look at Helena or Riku for chrissakes. Original Helena's doctor would say she is perfectly healthy and to just keep doing what she is doing; Original Riku's doctor would just tell to maybe have some 2% or whole milk and a bit more meat so she gets a bit bigger.

The altered images? The doctor would be putting them on a major diet and exercise program, maybe even warning them of or recommending surgery to solve their weight problems because of the health risk they pose.

Paragon Fury

The Loud Shadow
Jan 23, 2009
Burned Hand said:
Paragon Fury said:
Yeah, no.

Most of the altered images are just showing that the United States has a problem with fatasses, not the other way around. Just look at Helena or Riku for chrissakes. Original Helena's doctor would say she is perfectly healthy and to just keep doing what she is doing; Original Riku's doctor would just tell to maybe have some 2% or whole milk and a bit more meat so she gets a bit bigger.

The altered images? The doctor would be putting them on a major diet and exercise program, maybe even warning them of or recommending surgery to solve their weight problems because of the health risk they pose.
It's funny to see people fixated on the USA, which has plateauing obesity rates, while the rest of the world is in a mad dash to catch up. Where it hasn't passed us already that is. You do have a few nations like Sweden that aren't too busy laughing to realize they're blowing up like balloons too, and are learning from our mistakes. Most of Europe, South and Central America, and the Middle East is blowing up, and I don't mean warfare.
That's the US's fault too. Due to things like NAFTA and other trade agreements, Europe and other continents are being force-fed the US's shit food and shitty food practices too as our food companies slowly take over, buy out and force changes or force out native companies and products.

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
Burned Hand said:
It's magic either way, but I guess fat really breaks immersion for you. I don't have much of a comment beyond that, and how obviously "believability" is a highly subjective measure.
I'm in the military. I work with people that have to be fit for a living. There are still different standards of that fitness however.

Now... go to a military confidence course, look at the different people partaking, and tell me that you can't predict the ones that complete the course with good time, high levels of prowess and without breaking a sweat just by their body types... Nothing subjective about that.

Eterna

Jul 24, 2015
BiH-Kira said:
Serious question to all fit women on the site. Don't you find things like this insulting?
I'm not even in shape and I find it insulting. I'm not tiny but smaller than the photoshops they've done (UK 14 = US 10).
I worked pretty hard to get healthier and not be winded just by walking stairs, but apparently I'm already unrealistic. lol

Anyway, If they're using the American bodytype shouldn't they be using more... y'know, American characters? The only ones are Sonya Blade and the GTA girl. If you're going to make them average to your country, atleast use characters from that country. That's not to say that there aren't a lot of overweight people in other countries, but shouldn't they be using that country's average for those characters? Tifa and Rikku are assumedly Japanese - Japanese girls usually typically are smaller. Their clothing sizes run super-small compared to US sizing. and Lara? If she was average, she'd be a 16 (US 12) and curvier. Still not in shape enough to run from dinosaurs and wolves, but not what they made her look like.

Besides, instead of romanticising unhealthy lifestyles, shouldn't we be promoting excercise over minimising one's diet? But no, people would rather starve themselves than do a few push-ups.

McMarbles

May 7, 2009
HavoK 09 said:
This just makes me wonder how Lara Croft or Riku could keep doing what she does with +15kg around their hips.
The same way they used to be able to do it with triple-D-cups?

The same way a noticeably obese plumber can jump several times his own height?

The same way Yangus or Torneko can mow down tons of monsters without keeling over from a heart attack?

We're talking about video games, pleading reality is disingenuous.

Danny Dowling

May 9, 2014
Yay or nays on attractiveness
Lara Croft: Nay
Zelda character: Yay (although I suspect the proportions are more artistic direction)
Helena: Nay
Jade: Nay
Sonya: Nay
Christie: Oh christ no
Cortana: Nay
Tifa: Yay
Bikini girl: Nay
Rikku: You're ruining my young teenhood.

Come to think of it: all these "recreations" are just fat. They're tubby. Sorry. Actually, no I'm not. America; you are a fat nation, don't go making everyone feel bad for that fact and don't you dare go expecting the rest of the world to get fat with you.

I like in the UK, and I don't girls that fat very often. In fact most are way similar to the game versions just far less toned/chiselled and smaller boobs. Maybe I just live in an attractive country? No, I don't. It's just America's average is overweight.

If I've offended anyone, I'm not sorry. Video games is often about fantasy. "I play games not because i dont have a life, but because i want many", and why shouldn't we have perfect women in this make believe life? I work my ass off 5 times a day in the gym, I watch what I eat, I'm not asking everyone on Earth to do so but don't you dare go insulting people that work hard to look good. Actually not sure why I feel personally insulted by this tbh.

But the point is; all these pictures highlight is the fact that American's average for weight/size is too big. Have a nice day.

Ignatz_Zwakh

Sep 3, 2010
I actually find some of the altered images more attractive. They look more like actual women to me rather than stick figures. Granted, Rikku's bigger than I go for.

Coruptin

Inaction Master
Jul 9, 2009
Holy shit, fat acceptance is kind of stupid, but congrats on the people ITT calling the shops fat for proving a stupid point.
When fat acceptance reaches mainstream, remember, you have only yourselves to blame.

Danny Dowling

May 9, 2014
Burned Hand said:
She's also 4'11", and sounds like a toddler. There's nothing wrong with that, but like most athletes she's an outlier.

I'm 6' 2" sound pretty standard and was training a full time athlete for 15 months. i sit at around 6% body fat and have been out of full time training for over 6 months.

I am not unhealthy. And if anyone here thinks I'm some sort of exception to the fact they can take their ignorance and stick it somewhere. The only "exceptions" I can claim from Average Joe is that I naturally have a low body fat %

It what twisted fantasy is Lara Croft going to be able to pull up to hand stand if she's tubby? I can't even pull up to handstand ffs. She does gymnastics, her proportions are correct.

Czann

Jan 22, 2014
First, those are not impossible figures. Hard work and a healthy diet will achieve them. Nothing good is easy to get!

Second, they just added unhealthy fat to these characters, nothing else.

Third, God forbid physically active characters to have healthy looking bodies.

Xeros

Aug 13, 2008
They're not insulting, or condemning these characters for being fit, as obviously they would be from the lifestyles they lead. They're simply showing what they would look like as an average American.

They're not saying all Americans are fat, it's an average; the middle-ground. If the former were the case, the average would be a hell of a lot worse off.

Their call for more realistic body type diversity does not condemn healthy lifestyles, or the characters that lead them. They just feel it would add to our constant drive to better digitally replicate our reality.

Those average body types are damn sexy.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Burned Hand said:
Lightknight said:
Elementary - Dear Watson said:
There are 7 pages of comments above mine, and I don't have the time to read all of the,, so I imagine this point is there already... but surely the characters SHOULD all be toned if they achieve what they do? I'd like to see the average American tubby lass outrun a T-Rex like Lara, or last 3 3-minute rounds with someone in a fight to the death like Jade form MK, or trek the entire globe beating monsters with her bare fists like Tifa...
How about hanging from a ledge by your fingertips for long periods of time? I'd love to see one of these doing that in real life at Ninja Warrior... Oh wait, every female that gets to that point have an even smaller body fat ratio than Lara due to having smaller breasts.

Quick, someone photoshop her to look fat so that people don't get the wrong idea about what a "healthy body type is..." :

http://www.self.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/22KaceyCatanzaroRealityShowHistory.jpg

So unhealthy... Oh wait, she is really healthy? Oh...

How dare the girl who was in shape enough to win American Ninja Warrior be in good shape!?? What kind of an example is she setting for women everywhere? [/sarcasm]
She's also 4'11", and sounds like a toddler. There's nothing wrong with that, but like most athletes she's an outlier.
Outliers are samples that are so rare that they shouldn't be included in consideration of the average.

She is not an outlier. She is on the thin side of the bell curve. So are any number of professional and amateur athletes as well as so many women who just monitor what they eat and exercise regularly.

Honestly, I see her body type all the time. The gym, running down the street, at work. They're all over and by no means an outlier.

What's more, their physique is attainable. It is a lie to try and convince people that they can't be in shape. Making people happy with being obese does far greater harm and impacts far more people than the very few who fall prey to an eating condition because they cannot do things in appropriate moderation.

But if you honestly believe that thin people are outliers, then... wow.

Coruptin

Inaction Master
Jul 9, 2009
Danny Dowling said:
Burned Hand said:

I'm 6' 2" sound pretty standard and was training a full time athlete for 15 months. i sit at around 6% body fat and have been out of full time training for over 6 months.

I am not unhealthy. And if anyone here thinks I'm some sort of exception to the fact they can take their ignorance and stick it somewhere. The only "exceptions" I can claim from Average Joe is that I naturally have a low body fat %

It what twisted fantasy is Lara Croft going to be able to pull up to hand stand if she's tubby? I can't even pull up to handstand ffs. She does gymnastics, her proportions are correct.
Honestly, you don't look healthy. I'd be worried about your bones shattering if I bumped into you.

Beliyal

Big Stupid Jellyfish
Jun 7, 2010
Danny Dowling said:
I agree that a fatter Lara wouldn't be able to do a handstand, but the old Lara wouldn't be able to do a handstand either. She was not desinged to look like a gymnast. She has far too many curves and not enough muscle (especially on her twig-like arms; her biceps are nonexistent) to be a gymnast. Her original design is just as much fantasy as the photoshop is. Various female Olympic athletes [http://www.blogilates.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/Screen-Shot-2013-11-20-at-6.16.20-PM.png] - Lara doesn't look like either of them, but most certainly not like those tiny gymnasts.

Lara is designed to be visually appealing and not to be realistic considering the things she does. I understand why that is and it didn't detract me from loving Lara, but let's be honest here. New Lara looks much more realistic though.

There are many body types. You showed your own and it's fine. You know your body best and I'm sure you take care to lead a healthy lifestyle. As long as someone is healthy, there is nothing wrong with their body type. The problem arises when we automatically assume that a certain body type is unhealthy. I'm sure many of the Olympic athletes from the picture I put would be considered fat and unhealthy. I sincerely doubt they are, as they all have very specific training routines in order to be able to compete in the sport of their choosing. It's just that every sport (and any other physical activity) requires a certain build and body type.

dragoongfa

It's the Krossopolypse
Apr 21, 2009
Coruptin said:
Danny Dowling said:
Honestly, you don't look healthy. I'd be worried about your bones shattering if I bumped into you.
I would like to point out that in the army that's considered fit with the only 'bad' comment being to have a small increase in body fat in order to be brought to 10%. Otherwise that's a perfectly healthy human body.

Saippua

Jan 30, 2011
If these are average american proportions then I sure am glad I dont live in America!