Final Fantasy 16

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I just beat uber Titan and if I'm honestly the spectacle is starting to run dry. That fight didn't need to be 30 minutes long, once I broke his hand twice that was enough, I didn't need him to regrow that shit and have me do it two more times. I got the message, I get it, can we stop now? No gonna fall into an abyss for another 8 minutes? Okay fine.

Then the biggest problem is the fight just ends, there really isn't a moment of closure or final words or anything. It's just, "alright he's dead now, anyway..."

So I'm in the camp that the story loses a lot of luster at this point, the political movements stop meaning anything when no army of political figures react to your destruction of other leaders. The people don't react or care that these giant pillars they've prayed to for their whole lives are just being wiped out. There is absolutely no mention of the blight or how that's progressing, as if it was a plot point they started to work on early but then forgot about mid-way through writing.

I wanna talk about Clive and his voice acting. I'm fucking sick and fucking tired of these main characters with no fucking personalities. Whomever is directing these voice actors to whisper every fucking line like they're afraid of the neighbors yelling at them to be quiet is quite dumb. Aloy had the same problem, whispering removes a lot of personality from your voice, and a lot of the potential characterization. Clive's actual dialog would be great if the voice actor sounded interested in it, or added character to it. Instead he just grumbles everything and it makes him sound like he barley gives a shit about anyone around him.

I ended my last session going up against the Rank S hunt that Max fought on stage at the pre-release event. I was 6 levels too low for the fight, and it was the most fun I've had in the game yet. The boss has a fairly simple pattern but if you fuck up it's quite punishing. After a couple of attempts I'd figured out where to parry, and where to block and how to counter attack. The fight becomes a dance when you're afraid of the enemy and it's a lot of fucking fun. I'm excited to play this on NG+ because unlike other games this game's combat seems to feel a lot better when things are stronger than you. The challenge adds a tension to the combat that makes being a badass feel really rewarding.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I wanna talk about Clive and his voice acting. I'm fucking sick and fucking tired of these main characters with no fucking personalities. Whomever is directing these voice actors to whisper every fucking line like they're afraid of the neighbors yelling at them to be quiet is quite dumb. Aloy had the same problem, whispering removes a lot of personality from your voice, and a lot of the potential characterization.
It's crazy how this is usually a problem with Western developed AAA games; not from the Japanese side. Though, Square is doing a play by play of what the Westerners do. History repeats itself yet again.

Clive's actual dialog would be great if the voice actor sounded interested in it, or added character to it. Instead he just grumbles everything and it makes him sound like he barley gives a shit about anyone around him.
Give how shitty the FFXVI world is, I can't exactly blame Clive's attitude in this case. Even then, he seems to lighten up to those close in his circle, in certain side quests, or those that actually treat him like an actual person, and are aware of his powers.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Give how shitty the FFXVI world is, I can't exactly blame Clive's attitude in this case. Even then, he seems to lighten up to those close in his circle, in certain side quests, or those that actually treat him like an actual person, and are aware of his powers.
There are some sections that it makes sense to speak the way he speaks, that's fine. Most of it is in the early game though and once the story moves past that stuff then he should have changed his presentation. But he never does.

He has light hearted lines, and attempted warm exchanges with people but even those lines are delivered in a hushed whisper that makes no sense. My guess is the voice actor couldn't do the voice without whispering and they never questioned him on it. Or the director didn't know what the fuck they was doing.

Ashley Birch, i know for a fact, can be shrill, annoying, and loud, so there aint no excuse for Aloy to sound like someone punched Ashley in the throat on the way to the recording booth for the whole game.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker2

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
There are some sections that it makes sense to speak the way he speaks, that's fine. Most of it is in the early game though and once the story moves past that stuff then he should have changed his presentation. But he never does.

He has light hearted lines, and attempted warm exchanges with people but even those lines are delivered in a hushed whisper that makes no sense. My guess is the voice actor couldn't do the voice without whispering and they never questioned him on it. Or the director didn't know what the fuck they was doing.
In all seriousness: I'll take your word for it, but I'll look into this one myself later. God, I want DD Gaiden right now!
Ashley Birch, i know for a fact, can be shrill, annoying, and loud, so there aint no excuse for Aloy to sound like someone punched Ashley in the throat on the way to the recording booth for the whole game.
Not going to lie, I nearly spit out my root beer when I read that!

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
I just beat uber Titan and if I'm honestly the spectacle is starting to run dry. That fight didn't need to be 30 minutes long, once I broke his hand twice that was enough, I didn't need him to regrow that shit and have me do it two more times. I got the message, I get it, can we stop now? No gonna fall into an abyss for another 8 minutes? Okay fine.
This sounds just like how I felt towards the Leviathan fight in 15. Enormous flashy spectacle, zipping around in the sky while gigantic attacks beam around you... except its mechanically extremely shallow, and you scarcely have to do anything but hold a button down.

Reactions: CriticalGaming

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I was thinking about this last night as I tried to figure out why I don't have a lot of interest in going back to FF16. I have a good enough time when I play, but each time I put the game down I have to force myself to pick it back up. And that's a weird feeling that I've never really had for a game before.

What I came up with is a lack of a destination with the plot. FF16's plot has a lot of moving parts, nations battle and armies move as they either win or lose battles, leaders bicker and debate, political deals are made, you strike down these leaders, you strike down Mothercrystals, and none of these elements seem to be going anywhere. Clive constantly talks about building a world "where people are free to live on their terms" but like...what are you actually doing about that? Nothing really.

So the plot is a lot of world building with no real throughline in which the player can attach themselves too and motive themselves to see it through to the end. There is no real bad guy you wanna take out, no real global world ending danger you want to stop, no real antagonist. At best you have a a couple of petty revenge desires in the form of Titan (done) and your Mom, but beyond that it's like.....eh?

FF16 is a game I want desperately to like and it's a game I do enjoy while playing it because the combat is fun. But everytime I stop playing i can't figure out what the point of it is and I end up with a lackluster feeling toward it.

I'd really like to know if anyone here really really likes the game and I'd like to know why because I feel like I'm grasping desperately for reasons to like the game but everything I find a thread it slips from my grasp.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
I really liked the game because I don't expect that much from the story and plot. Just because it was marketed as a story-heavy game, has long cut scenes and the press kept talking about "Game of Thrones," doesn't mean I have to take it all that seriously. I mean of course it doesn't actually make sense, does it ever in video games?

Really there is only one section of the main game that made me wanna stop playing because of the "story" and that was more about the pacing.

SPOILER ALERT MAYBE

When the pretty engineer has you do a bunch of fetch quests for here ship I wanted to die.

I mean- if the cobmat/gameplay is fun, the story is just the wrapping for it and a chance to ogge at pretty visuals. And, man, those last two eikons, they really add some cool shit to your combat arsenal. Granted, not enough to make me wanna do a NG+, but still worth it.

To me the "story" isn't about making the world better or freedom or any of that crap the actual characters say, it's about me stomping my way through missions to get to the Big Boss Battle to get more powers to do more fights until i collect 'em all and have the Biggest Boss Battle. Y'know... video games, yay!

Reactions: CriticalGaming

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
They talk about FFXVI around the 12 minute mark. They're right; FFXVI is just FF Tactics plot wise and with the dark, grim, tone.

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
The people don't react or care that these giant pillars they've prayed to for their whole lives are just being wiped out. There is absolutely no mention of the blight or how that's progressing, as if it was a plot point they started to work on early but then forgot about mid-way through writing.
That's something that had me scratching my head a bit while playing the game.

Before you go and destroy the first crystal, Cid argues that the Blight is caused by the giant Mother Crystals sucking up the world's Aether, or life energy, which sounded like a decent enough explanation.

Then you go out and destroy one of the Mother Crystals, the game throws a 5 year timeskip your way and guess what? The Blight seems to be progressing just as it was before. I would have hoped that the destruction of one of these giant life sucking devices would have done something to the surrounding area or make the world aware of their connection with the Blight.

But nope.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017

Before you go and destroy the first crystal, Cid argues that the Blight is caused by the giant Mother Crystals sucking up the world's Aether, or life energy, which sounded like a decent enough explanation.

Then you go out and destroy one of the Mother Crystals, the game throws a 5 year timeskip your way and guess what? The Blight seems to be progressing just as it was before. I would have hoped that the destruction of one of these giant life sucking devices would have done something to the surrounding area or make the world aware of their connection with the Blight.

But nope.
It strikes me as an overall disjointed story. Like they had all these plot threads to weave together but didnt know how to ties it all together so some ideas are dropped without mention.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
So I just did the last gauntlet of sidequests (there were so freaking many of them near the end x.x), and crafted the legendary sidequest sword. I'm now set to beat the game, I think. The game takes forever to give you the core plot, and it is quite traditional, but it's really fun so I don't mind. Also Odin's abilities are kind of a game-changer (called it that he'd have some Vergil style moves, only he's more Sephiroth lol). There's also these rocks that look like the one that you have in your base that lets you do training mode that give you eikon challenges, where you have to play stylish and win within the given time frame and you get more time the stylisher you are. You can start at like a minute and end up with 5 minutes through all the extra time it's possible to earn, which is hilarious. And you get accessories for the summon's ultimate if you clear em, you get no items and no Torgal and pre-set gear and summon abilities so it's a pretty decent test for people who aren't branching out and trying to play with every summon.

Also I figured out the main issue this game has in its atmosphere; realism. Too many realistic locales, with maybe a few artifacts from the ancient civilization thrown in for good measure. Not enough out there high fantasy places, not enough beauty. This is something I was noticing in the outfits of the chars, but it's the buildings and the world in general.

But nope.
As long as there's any crystal left it just sucks it all up all the same. Also the blight is something that is happening after the aether had been being sucked out for generations so it's not gonna go away even if you stopped sucking it for a couple years.

I was thinking about this last night as I tried to figure out why I don't have a lot of interest in going back to FF16. I have a good enough time when I play, but each time I put the game down I have to force myself to pick it back up. And that's a weird feeling that I've never really had for a game before.

What I came up with is a lack of a destination with the plot. FF16's plot has a lot of moving parts, nations battle and armies move as they either win or lose battles, leaders bicker and debate, political deals are made, you strike down these leaders, you strike down Mothercrystals, and none of these elements seem to be going anywhere. Clive constantly talks about building a world "where people are free to live on their terms" but like...what are you actually doing about that? Nothing really.

So the plot is a lot of world building with no real throughline in which the player can attach themselves too and motive themselves to see it through to the end. There is no real bad guy you wanna take out, no real global world ending danger you want to stop, no real antagonist. At best you have a a couple of petty revenge desires in the form of Titan (done) and your Mom, but beyond that it's like.....eh?

FF16 is a game I want desperately to like and it's a game I do enjoy while playing it because the combat is fun. But everytime I stop playing i can't figure out what the point of it is and I end up with a lackluster feeling toward it.

I'd really like to know if anyone here really really likes the game and I'd like to know why because I feel like I'm grasping desperately for reasons to like the game but everything I find a thread it slips from my grasp.
Basically it's a combination of the spectacle and fun, especially the huge eikon fights, and the coolness and style of the whole deal. Not sure if you've done the odin fight yet but that one had a very personal-feeling exchange, the kind of one you'd think Hugo would bring. And Bahamut was incredible, even more insane than Titan, though that one had all the story after the fight lol.

I think this game suffers a bit from lack of personal investment up until around the Bahamut fight where a lot of personal matters come back into focus cause you're brought in by Cid and don't get to know everyone on your own terms but are just kinda included in the group before you have enough time to become attached, and then the game timeskips the part where you do so, so it's hard to be invested on folks like Otto for example as the player.

Maybe they shoulda like...had you play as Cid during his younger years first, so you meet everyone actively and not through exposition, and then switch over to Clive when he becomes relevant. I can see this being DLC...or DLCid...yeahhhhh.

It kinda takes a while until the game actually explains what is actually going on, and until you have the full party together, but the moments like the reunions and the shopping date and so on all were very bittersweet and fun (Jill sounded like her younger self for a few moments), making you wanna play more to see how they evolve next. Also some later side chars like Jote and uncle Byron are shining marks too.

Last edited:

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Alright I've gotten through the first playthrough this weekend. I'm going to do a full on review now it will contain SPOILERS!!!!! So if you aren't at least mostly done with the story, then do not read the paragraph I've marked below.

So here we go. Bottom line Final Fantasy 16 is largely disappointing in almost every single aspect if I'm honest. As you guys probably are aware I've played and beaten every mainline FF game this year (except 11) and I was prepping myself for a big hype new release of the 16th mainline game, with Yoshi-P behind the wheel I was ready for an incredible game. What I got was a flashy mess on almost every level.

Let's start with the easiest thing, play this on graphical mode for a solid 30 FPS because performance cannot maintain a solid 60 outside of combat. Performance is weird because it runs between 30-45 fps while you are running around or listening to npc's and what not, but the moment you enter combat it locks to 60. It's very disorientating and I found that playing with the graphical mode locked everything to 30 and the consistency felt better to play. Bummer it can't be 60 FPS all the time in the performance mode built for it, and it also doesn't seem like something they can fix in a patch otherwise I feel like they'd have done it already. To be fair the game is a grand spectacle on a crazy scale sometimes so it's not that much of a bummer.

Next I want to talk about combat because that was the big focus behind the push for this game. The DMC guy is behind the combat and look how crazy it gets, huge boss battles WHOAAAAA!!! And to be honest. Combat is fun, but it aint that great. There is nothing mind blowing about it, and sadly there is nothing tactical about it. The enemies you fight are mostly brainless piñata's that stagger under your basic attacks, meaning you have no reason to use your abilities because they don't pose a threat to you even at the end of the game. While in big groups the enemies aren't aggressive enough to bother you while you beat their friend to death. They do try to mix it up throughout the game though by throwing in casters and healers in some enemy groups that will buff and heal the other enemies, but never themselves so you just go beat them up in two seconds first and then the fight is won. This meaninglessness makes the random grunt encounters feel like a waste of time rather than something to engage with in exciting combat.

This changes when you fight sub bosses, basically bigger enemies that have stagger bars but not big enough to be bosses (though some of them appear as bosses first before getting downgraded). These fights are better because you get to engage your abilities but you'll quickly realize that most of them melt during the first stagger and since they repeat so often you'll have the moveset memorized to the point where you are going through the motions. These enemies are really where the lack of tactics really saddens me, since there is no elemental weaknesses or special requirements for beating enemies nothing ever feels special which includes your own toolkit. Getting a new Eikon power means nothing because it doesn't have any new effects on the enemies. Why couldn't there be some special ways to stagger enemies that require skill? For example you have to execute a magic burst combo to stagger this enemy, or that enemy only staggers against a perfect dodge counter attack? You could have done things that would always be available in any loadout but still made the player have to think about what they are fighting. But it's never ever the case.

Finally the best part of combat, the Bosses....mostly. As mentioned above some of the sub bosses get a full boss billing the first time you see them but then become normal fodder later on. However the "big" bosses are a great when you're fighting the first form as Clive. These fights are the only time you'll really be tested on your skills outside of S rank Monster hunts. You'll have to dodge, parry, block, counter and effectively time your use of Eikonic abilities to bring these fuckers down. They are a lot of fun for the most part. They aren't perfect though, because as you proceed later in the game more and more of these guys start having bullshit teleports where they just teleport away from you. Sometime it's not even for another attack it's just to get away from Clive and forces you to chase them down. This is annoying and pointless, in a melee focused game it should be the player who makes space not the enemies. For example if you want to force the player to break away to let the fight breathe, have the enemy do a massive spurg swing or big aoe explosion followed by a bunch more (in fact several enemies do exactly this and it's great). The monster should never bounce out of range just "because", it feels bad and ruins player momentum.

There is another problem with the bosses later on, in that they get so crazy it's fucking impossible to see what's happening beyond the particle effects. Though this isn't an issue until your on the last 5 or so bosses really, it still becomes wild that so much shit is happening that you can't see an attack coming, you can't parry or dodge effectively because the visual clutter is so bad. But since this is only a few bosses and hunts it's not TOO big of a deal, I just wanted to mention it since I'm going balls deep on giving this game shit.

Overall though the Clive based bosses are the peaks of this game's combat system, unfortunately these are usually brought down with the Eikon battles. After beating one of the big bosses, they'll typically get butthurt about losing and decide to bust out the nuclear weapons in the form of their Eikon. This is where Clive will become Ifrit (pronounced Ifreet apparently) and you'll have a big lumbering giant monster fight. While visually these are the craziest moments in the game, their gameplay is fucking dumb. Often you get to do a melee combo before that annoying ***** of a boss will run away forcing you to annoying close the distance while they spit shit at you. Then you get in for a combo or two and away they run. This is combined with cinematic breaks where the fight will become a quicktime event before a new phase of the fight begins or you win. Despite the grandiose visual splendor of these events, they are nearly impossible to lose and entirely uninteresting mechanically. They remind me of the beginning of the game with young Clive where he doesn't really have any powers, except you're a big fire demon. Cool but not great honestly.

I do want to point out that the game on the first playthrough is quite easy, no helping accessory required. I only died a couple of times due to trying to fight an S rank hunt underleveled, but I won after a couple of tries anyway. I'll try FF mode and see if it's harder, there is also Ultima Mode after beating FF mode to get even harder,

That's basically the combat so now let's take a shit on the other aspects of gameplay. Which I'll handle in rapid fire:

Gear - fucking pointless, every upgrade is 5ish points of improvement and doesn't have any effect on gameplay. Sometimes you'll upgrade your gear without ever having to fight anything with your previous weapon. Accessories are also pointless because you'll just equip the ones that slightly upgrade the damage of your favorite Eikon attacks or slight buff Clive himself.

Crafting - equally pointless because of the gear problem.

Side Quests - 85% of these are garbage. Bring people food, go talk to a guy about a thing, or "oh no bandits again". The other 15% are actually focused on characters and it builds the people around Clive up making these decent enough quests even though they all tend to go through the same steps.

Hunts - Actually awesome because they are all entirely boss fights where you fight as Clive. Would have been interesting to see a couple become kaiju fights, but honestly im glad they don't.

Now let's get to the other big side of this coin, the story. HERE COME THE SPOILERS!

Clive is a remarkably bad protagonist, which is a shame because he starts the game so likable from his younger years. I can't tell if this is specifically the writing or if it's a combination of that and Ben's performance which is really bad most of the time. What's crazy is that during intense scenes Ben is great, his screams, cries, rage, all the top emotional moments are great. But then you have the rest of the game where Ben felt like he had to fucking whisper every goddamn line. I already said why this sucks and I wish games would stop letting it happen.

So the other problem with Clive is that he is the most uninteresting part of the cast. Cid is awesome and much more worthy of the protagonist spot that Clive. Cid has motivations, a vision for what he wants for the world, and a plan to do it. Clive has....well he does what Cid does later because he's got nothing else to do I guess. That seems to be a big problem throughout the game in that with a few exceptions most of the big characters don't really have any direction. These nations are warring over implied resources but you visit every nation and they are mostly struggling due to neglect not lack of resources. They talk about the blight but outside of the first few hours of the game you never see the blight progress or effect any of the places you visit. Hell you're homebase is in the blight and people survive there just fine, even figure out how to grow food on blighted land so the blight becomes a nothing-level threat.

The best villain in the game is Krupka as he is the old dude with a motivated vendetta against Clive and Cid's group. Benedickta just seems like a skank who throws her lot in with whomever is more powerful at the time. She's implied to be with Krupka at the beginning of the game, but that relationship is never mentioned again and instead she's in bed with Odin for some reason, like really I don't get who or what she was trying to be other than a raging thot for no reason. Outside of that one scene at the beginning she's never shown interacting with Krupka ever again, so when he finds out she's dead by our hand it rings hollow for me because I don't fucking care about their relationship, or them. However I can at least understand Krupka's emotions and reasons for wanting revenge even though it's not all the believable.

Jill and Clive's "romance" also is flat as fuck. I don't believe they love each other, because it's never really shown that they're in love prior to I guess the beach scene but even then it's like...meh. Jill loves Clive, that I believe, she's leaned into kisses like 17 times by the beach scene. But Clive is just so empty of emotions that I don't believe the relationship. There was a five year fucking time skip where they did fucking nothing but hang out together, they should have a kid by that point. Give it up to Jill for not giving up on getting some dick from Clive for like 20 years.

Then we have Joshua, surprise he isn't dead, but surprise he couldn't tell Clive that for 20 years either. Supposedly, Joshua learned about Ultima and was trying to learn and make alliances and moves to otherwise stop Ultima. But got fucking nowhere apparently because when Joshua joins up with Clive finally, Clive asks Joshua "What does Ultima want?" And Joshua goes, "No fucking idea dude." So you stayed away from your brother and let him believe you dead for two decades for....nothing? Okay cool it's not like your death ruined Clive as a person for 20 years or anything.

Speaking of Ultima, he's evil because. That's it. Because. Game needed a big bad and that's why Ultima exists and for no other reason. Also for some reason Odin is the only fucker under Ultima's influence again for no reason. Why not have Ultima be a demon responsible for the corruption of the other Dominants? Giving us a motivation to wipe each Dominant out or at least trying to purge Ultima's influence out of the person? Well the answer to that is simple, if every nation served Ultima it would make all the politics throughout the rest of the game invalid, the nations wouldn't have reason to battle if they all served the same grand master, therefore Ultima only controls Odin. So at the end of it all Ultima's motivation is just, there needed to be a biggest bad guy at the end of the game so this is what we got. There is a lot of talk of trying to ruin Clive's attachment to the world through his companions, but there is never any attempts to kill those around him. Kill Jill, Kill Torgal, Kill people in the hideaway, something to break Clive, but naw...just nonsense talk about consciousness or some shit I don't know. It's stupid.

Frankly the whole plot consists of the writer trying to go in too many directions without ways to wrap each thread up. We spend a lot of time learning about how evil and corrupt your mother is and how she's brought ruin to Rosaria your home nation, except the problem with this is she's not fucking in Rosaria she's in Sanbreque with Bahaumut's daddy. So whole controls Rosaria day to day? Don't know, it's never explained or shown or resolved. The blight is a result of Mothercrystals sucking up the Aether from the land, so we gotta break them all to save the world from the blight. Except breaking them does nothing to stop the spread. The problem here is we are never shown the spread. The Blight never takes over towns we care about except Lostwing and even then it's only the town and not the farmlands around it. The zombie armies move into towns during side quests but one visit from us solves that and then the people I guess can stop the rest of the zombies afterwards? I don't know.

The whole story is a lot of these little questions that don't really make much sense. Why are bearers not the ruling class? They can literally do magic, so just fucking burn anyone who tries to boss you around? Wouldn't it have made more sense for people without magic to be the slaves? Also the big emphasis on slavery explains the real reason why they couldn't have people of color in the game doesn't it?

This isn't to say all the meta disappointments with the plot that I have, but that goes back to the "this isn't a Final Fantasy game" thing, and at the end of the day there is enough references to say it's Final Fantasy enough, but it's a very disappointing one. I've seen some discourse online that FF16 was people's 1st FF game and they love the shit out of it. Which makes me bummed that when they go to an earlier FF game they'll probably bounce off those fantastic games pretty hard because of how drastically different they'll play compared to this one. A fact that will be further hurt by all the FF re-releases lately. 1-6 just got remasters, and now every single FF game minus 11 is playable on a modern console and computer. Meaning a new player has pretty easy access to any FF game they want to try next, since FF is my favorite series I worry that the huge difference in this game will harm new people coming to the series because of those changes and lack of the familiar elements. Going from 16 to any other game might have someone upset that the other FF games are too goofy, or not serious or mature enough, or play too slowly, or have too many items/gear/upgrades/characters to manage, things like that.

FF16 is ultimately not an RPG really. it's got a few elements but it's no more an RPG than DMC is. Both games have upgrades for abilities that your earn through some sort of currency, so they aren't too far off from each other. Which is fine, but it also asks the question "Is Final Fantasy going to be an RPG series going forward?" I worry about that.

FF16 is a good game, it is. But it's an extremely big let down from what I hope to get from Final Fantasy games.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
> The whole story is a lot of these little questions that don't really make much sense. Why are bearers not the ruling class? They can literally do magic, so just fucking burn anyone who tries to boss you around? Wouldn't it have made more sense for people without magic to be the slaves? Also the big emphasis on slavery explains the real reason why they couldn't have people of color in the game doesn't it?

I just assumed there are a LOT less bearers than regular people- your classic marginalized oppressed because of sheer numeric force. And using magic doesn't mean being a powerful bad-ass that can like kill everybody, mostly we see them doing laundry or whatever. I mean yeah I'm interpolating this from the environment of the game but I didn't have a problem with that.
And I don't really understand your people of color question at all but that's probably for the best.

Are you actually going to try a NG+ for the combat? I am on the fence about it personally- I kind of want to for the trophy, but I would need some time away from it first. And now all this cool new stuff is coming out so, I dunno...

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
And I don't really understand your people of color question at all but that's probably for the best.
Just a dig on a bad Kotaku interview question. It's nothing more than a reference around previous hype for the game.

Are you actually going to try a NG+ for the combat? I am on the fence about it personally- I kind of want to for the trophy, but I would need some time away from it first. And now all this cool new stuff is coming out so, I dunno...
I mean I plan to for the trophy and since I got nothing better to play until Balder's Gate 3 comes out, I might as well. I am actually curious as to how long the game will be when I skip all the movies tbh.