Final Fantasy 7 Remake Demo - It's here! This is not a Drill!!!!! Also Impressions

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
SupahEwok said:
CritialGaming said:
I would be lying if i wasnt a part of that twitter thread where someone linked the Kotaku Editor to a Square article which provided tips for how to play the demo. That person was blocked and some random person tried to White Knight for the "Journalist".

Games Journalism is filled with such a crazy left wing subset of people that it is mind boggling. Endless articles about how games are too hard, and how fictional computer generated woman are not treated with enough respect, and reviewers who cant pass a tutorial.

Its like games media has no self respect. I wish there was some sort of awareness with these companies that they wouldnt let just anyone write for them. I dont understand how they think hiring someone to do game reviews and previews who has no previous interest or skill at playing video games would be a good idea.

Instead they let any asshat off the street write a game review and then get upset when people call them out on nonsense. Where is the journalistic integrity?
The real answer is that colleges pump out people with degrees like they're assembly lines, with a lot of those people having no idea what they're gonna do for a job since a 4 year education doesn't cut it anymore, so hosts of journalism majors have to find something to get a roof over their head. And yes, gaming journalism has next to no barrier to entry. Most journalism doesn't (just about the only ones that do are the big newspapers/websites, which are a small minority of journalism), and yet there's hordes of journalism majors still out of work cuz there's not enough jobs to go around for them, even crappy ones like game sites.
See, I would say games journalism has a barrier but it's not exactly of entry. It's more apparent after you enter without being qualified and try to pretend like you are and realize that you've gotten stuck and can't move. This is why a lot of people call normal run of the mill gamers who expect their journalists to be actual experts that have valuable opinions elitist or gatekeepers. Because apparently expecting some sort of expertise out of the guy whose opinion you're supposed to base your spending your hard earned money on is elitist.

I think this time the journalist being a white male who may even be straight and a cissy allows this to be clearly understood meanwhile when the incompetent journalist is not those things, especially if they're a woman, you get people calling the reasonable outrage bigotry.

I remember people calling people racist for that cuphead journalist reaction, because he was asian. Because yeah, gamers have a well-established hatred of Japanese people. It couldn't be that not knowing how to dash while jumping in a tutorial with nobody shooting at you after 20 tries is disqualifying.

CritialGaming

Mar 25, 2015
Kinda funny. [https://www.reddit.com/r/FFVIIRemake/comments/fd8oub/there_are_two_types_of_ff7r_players/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf]

CritialGaming

Mar 25, 2015
hanselthecaretaker said:
Kinda funny. [https://www.reddit.com/r/FFVIIRemake/comments/fd8oub/there_are_two_types_of_ff7r_players/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf]
It's interesting because the combat in the Remake is a lot more complex than it seems on the surface and ultimately is harder to describe than I did earlier in this thread and previous threads.

Every character has a mechanic that works differently. Cloud not only has combos by pressing square, but he has entirely different attacks from HOLDING square. These attacks change when you enter his Punisher mode by pressing Triangle. Punisher mode has a counter attack mechanic that works in specific ways. Both of these modes have difference uses in the ADDITION of building ATB charges. Then you get to use ATB charges and the different attacks using ATB also do different things for different situations.

Barrett's normal attack is a steady stream of bullets followed by a small burst shot and a short break. His triangle is a series of much harder hitting shots but then that triangle goes on a CD period. You can forgo attacking and using ATB to spam Triangle to cause the CD to shorten with a recharge animation from Barrett (he smashes the gun into the ground, hit it to make it work I guess). It takes three of these forced recharges to bring back your triangle attack. If you do this, you are not charging ATB because you aren't attacking, however if you DONT do this then the attack takes like 30 seconds to recharge naturally and by then the fight is most likely over (except a boss). On top of this bursty system, Barrett will also have melee weapons that will completely change how his basics work. Then on top of that you have his ATB abilities.

We don't know a super lot about how Aerith and Tifa play, but they both will have their own square and triangle attack interactions on top of ATB abilities.

And to add the final cherry of the complexity pie you have to manage all of this stuff for three characters at once pretty much for most of the game.

Oh and just for more fun, you can also dodge, and block attacks with each character, which adds even more shit to do.

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
CritialGaming said:
hanselthecaretaker said:
-snip-
Not only that, but the AI are only really just good enough at the game to not be completely useless. If you have a favorite character mechanically, that's fine, but if you want to maximise your output, you have to be near-constantly switching characters to make sure everyone can build up ATB.

CritialGaming

Mar 25, 2015
CritialGaming said:
hanselthecaretaker said:
CritialGaming said:
Fappy said:
CaitSeith said:
Fappy said:
I know some are skipping the demo because they are getting the game regardless, but I think it's still worth playing for the combat alone. At a surface level it seems real button mash-y, but if you experiment a little you will quickly find there is some depth to it that the tutorials fail to address. I'll probably play it a couple more times before release just to get a good handle on the mechanics. If I can mitigate some of the growing pains when picking up a new game I usually try to do so. Learning fundamental mechanics of a new game (usually the first 1-2 hours) is usually the worst part of picking up new games for me personally.
I want to mention that Final Fantasy sometimes demos don't reflect the final mechanics. Final Fantasy XV Platinum Demo might as well had been a spin-off.
Based on what content creators/journalists have been saying after visiting the SE offices and previewing something resembling a final build of the game it sounds like the demo is pretty accurate combat mechanics-wise.
Yeah, but there are notible story elements cut out of the demo so that replaying the first section on the full game will still hold surprises on the story side. Which I think is a good approach to a demo.
This is awesome [https://www.gamesradar.com/this-exclusive-final-fantasy-7-remake-ps4-theme-will-only-cost-you-2-candy-bars/], in case you haven?t seen it yet. Figured it?s right up your alley lol. I like it better than the demo theme actually.
I submitted butterfinger receipts twice and got nothing. That whole fucking contest/giveaway is a shit show. Where apparently there are places were receipts are rejected automatically and nowhere in the contest rules does it state to only buy them from certain retailers. I bought 10 candy bars at Walgreens and apparently that doesn't count.

So fuck them on that shit.
I also got my codes for the DLC a while back. That was about a week after the one for the theme. Really kinda surprised they followed through after hearing different stories like yours.

Did you ever get anything? I?d still contact the site with your receipt if not. They have no reason not to give them to you if they?re aware of it.

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
Oh, nice! Glad to see people are getting their games. People were being paranoid that the virus situation may interfere with the physical release.

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
Unfortunately, since I'm importing a Japanese copy, that means I probably won't get mine until the original release date or possibly a little later. Oh, well. I've got 10 to keep me busy while I'm waiting.

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
been playing for about half an hour. still in the intro, just at the part of the intro (was probably in the demp which i didn't get round to playing) where you run through lasers.

first impressions: so far this feels like a "press square button to win" kind of game...

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
ok just beat the first boss from the demo and finished chapter 1. the boss was a good way to teach you how to use the combat system more efffectively than just pressing square. i liked that boss.

will play some chapter 2 tomorrow. games interesting so far.

CritialGaming

Mar 25, 2015
Trophy list revealed [https://www.powerpyx.com/final-fantasy-vii-remake-trophy-list-revealed/]. Some spoilers of course.

CritialGaming

Mar 25, 2015
The final trailer, with mild spoilers. [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERgrFVhL-n4]

One week (for most of us)!

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
Nice. You had to wait till like the literal end of the world but it's finally here!