Final Fantasy VII Remake Pushed Even Further From Possibility

Apr 28, 2008
Thunderhorse31 said:
Irridium said:
Sony managed to beef up the first 2 God of War games just fine.

Hell they don't need to completely remake the thing, just, well do what they did with God of War 1 and 2. Upgrade the graphics, add some trophies, and bam, you got millions upon millions of copies sold.

I really doubt that 40 year development time. I think he's just sick of people asking him about it.
I don't think it's quite that simple; the difference between GoW and it's "update" was only 4 years, barely one system generation. You're asking for a quick and dirty graphical update, but the game is almost 15 friggin' years old. It's going to take way more effort than just smoothing out some jaggies here and there.

That said, I'm entirely in favor of what you propose here. A new coat of paint and a few trophies, and they can gladly take my $$$.
Yeah your probably right. I'm pretty sure the enviornments (or most of them) were 2D backgrounds. It would be a big undertaking to make it all 3D, but it shouldn't take 40 years.

Aug 25, 2009
Just to pick up on something he said.

To make FF XIII took us 3 to 4 years for this level of quality.

To make FF VII at the same level would take TWENTY-EIGHT years.

So either he's just admitted that Final Fantasy VII is a much better and much more in-depth game than FFXIII, or he's just jerking the fans off.

I know he hates us, but does he have to make it so obvious?

Sylveria

Nov 15, 2009
Lvl 64 Klutz said:
Did he just openly admit that FFXIII was an incredibly shallow game? I mean, logically the only way his comment would make sense was if FFXIII had 10% of the content in FFVII. I didn't think it was THAT bad.
Yeah pretty much. He said SE can't make a game the size and complexity of FF7 in less than half a century. They can only make pretty hallways and even that takes years. Also, in sheer scope, FF13 probably had maybe 5-10% the content of 7. Midgar alone was larger and more elaborate than FF13's entire play length.

Ehra

Mar 19, 2010
I find 40 years to be hard to believe. However, I'm not exactly holding my breath to get a FFVII remake. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see a remake with a pretty paint job and maybe some of the supposedly unfinished plotlines getting tied up, but if there were any Square games that I wanted to see get a remake it would be Chrono Trigger/Cross.

Either way, there are enough great games coming out now that I can live without any redos.

Niracas

Dec 3, 2009
Ok.. if it would take 40 years to remake FFVII, a game thats already done and people could work from, does that mean it'll take 80 years to make a new game? Have they been working on FFXIII since the early 1900's?

Besides FFVII wasnt even that great of a game. Why dont we ask for new games, not games to be remade. Would people really rather play FFVII again instead a new, possibly better, game? I still have my copy of FFVII, I dont need a remake. Give me Agito or Versus, god damn.

ResiEvalJohn

Nov 23, 2009
I'm just gonna say it's a shame to all parties.

FF7 was one of the most important games of my childhood, and when I think of kids being raised today on FFXIII, it makes me puke at how low Squeenix has sunk. Gamers today are just exposed to mindless corridor shooting action games that only require you to press the X button over and over. There's no depth or atmosphere to games like there used to be.

I'm positive that they could've put out a remake INSTEAD of all the shit they've been doing for the past 5 years because:
1) They definitely have Character animation and voice acting down - Look at FFXIII, that was arguably the only good thing about the game.
2) They definitely have the technology to make big world maps - Look at FFXII.

The fact is, Square doesn't have the mojo anymore, or the magic, or whatever you call it. They're admitting right here that they'll never make a game good enough for me to play again.
An FF7 remake would be great not only for fans, but for new generations of gamers who didn't experience it back in the 90's. Gone is the time when JRPG's were actually respected and gaming required more than just "press X not to die."

Urgh76

May 27, 2009
40 years huh?

SUSPICIOUS!!

I personally hate the new character design base anyway so it would basically destroy the game anyway

EMO_of_LiGHT

Jan 25, 2009
Reading through the first few posts, then skipping the rest to get strait to MY opinion, I can mostly agree with the ones the ones that are crying BS, and also the ones who want them to make different games instead of continuing to wank off in the faces of all the CloudXSephiroth fangirls (because none can ever be even marginally be referred to as "boys again). First off, SE, you've got a story, concept art, mechanics, engine, even most of the voice actors if you just re-use whoever worked on Advent and Dirge and so on, so don't give us this crap about it taking 10 times as long as XIII if you only have to do about 1/4 of the work. Besides, even if it did take that long, most of the afformentioned fangirls would happily crawl out of their graves, fight through 50 guys with chainsaws stuck on their arms, climb Mount Everest, and suck off the descrated mummy of King Tut to even catch a glimpse of your remake, let alone buy the 18 copies the were planning on getting anyway. HOW DOES IT NOT SEEM LIKE THE IDEAL PRODUCT THEN? Don't try to make an excuses like "we'd need to add more content to keep people happy". People would buy it even if you added a periferal that kicks them in the crotch every time they press a button. Listen to me, I DIDN"T EVEN LIKE THE GAME THAT MUCH, yet I'm the first one to say that it makes sense from a pure financial standpoint. I would much rather like that they choose to invest in new titlee like Versus XII or Kingdom Hearts III, but when you could easily shatter sales records with an army of slobbering fan-zombies, why wouldn't you?

(ignore my spelling, I was rushed)

ArmorArmadillo

Mar 31, 2010
Square, if you don't want to do it, just say you don't want to do it, stop acting like it is some immortal bit of perfection that can't possibly be touched with anything less than the wood of the true cross. It was a decent but not great JRPG, with a plot-hole laden story full of random twists and turns, characters were broadly drawn stereotypes, and gameplay offers nothing. The only thing remarkable about it is the way people seem to think all of civilization peaked at it.

Although, this does bring up a point, Square has a bad habit of overmaking it's games, and thinking that everything has to be bigger and bigger and spread across three discs with amazing cinematics and every villain turning into an elaborate demon the size of the moon and then finding out they can't possibly flesh out the whole thing halfway through the game. (The way they ruined Grandia III made me cry)

Buccura

Aug 13, 2009
I had a thought, what if this is part of a clever marketing ploy? They make the game seem more and more of an impossibility, then suddenly one day they announce it as official. Think about it.

Akalistos

Apr 23, 2010
Tom Goldman said:
On the Final Fantasy VII remake this time, Kitase said: "To make FFXIII at this level of quality, it took us 3 to 4 years. If we were to make FFVII in the same style of FFXIII, it would take 10 times as long." Forget fourteen years, a current generation Final Fantasy VII would take forty years to put together! That's older than someone's dad.

Source: Andriasang [http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/05/30/versus_xiii_and_ffvii_remake/]
Good Question.
If you were Leonardo Da Vinci: Wouldn't that piss you off to be continuously ask for a new Mona Lisa? Final Fantasy 7 is done... no need to do it full 3d. Beside, there also the possibility that none of the work crew on 7 return for the remake. That really bad. Remember The Twins Snakes? Well Kojima check them now and again but was mostly uninvolved. Silicon Knight turn it into the "Matrix 4 - So far stuck his own Rabbit Hole"

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
AboveUp said:
Flying-Emu said:
Why does everyone act like FF7 is such a big deal? If they remade it, it would be the same game. I'd much rather have them work on another The World Ends With You than a remake of yet another FF game.
Completely agreed. That or a new franchise, rather than a remake.

Also, why would FF7 take so long to remake? All the set pieces are already there, heck they're using upgraded models of the characters in the Kingdom Hearts series already. Not to mention the models from Advent Children...

I call bullshit.
Agreed. With both persons. I mean, I can see the game taking a long fucking time to do, maybe four or five years depending on how much detail they put into the background and scenery and whatnot, but no way would that take forty.
And I'd rather see something new anyway. And possibly good. Been a long time since I enjoyed a game in the Final Fantasy series.

InnerRebellion

Mar 6, 2010
I call bullshit. 40 years? Thats outrageous. If they said 3 years, fine as long as it looks great. They're just afraid it won't appeal to the mass market.

end_boss

Jan 4, 2008
I consider myself fortunate that the RPGs I grew up with have fans that are so hardcore that they take it upon their own initiative to remake the games into updated releases. Fans of Quest For Glory II: Trial By Fire gained access to the engine of a later game, updating the graphics, battle system and converting from text-parser to point-and-click interface. Also, Ultima V and Ultima VI have been completely revamped as a mod to the Dungeon Siege engine, and I've heard rumours that Ultima IX is being completely re-written as a fan-fiction mod in the Morrowind engine, and will pretend the actual Ultima IX didn't happen, in order to give the series a send-off that the fans can enjoy.

I guess Final Fantasy fans aren't quite so pro-active.

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
*sniff sniff* I smell bullshit. I think they are just saying this to get people off their backs. But i can't see how a Final Fantasy VII remake would take longer than what Final Fantasy XIII did seeing as they already have all the concept art they can even use stuff from Advent Children, they have the script and the game design.

But i also remember reading somewhere that Squeenix were finally considering a remake for Final Fantasy VII somewhere down the line. They could just be saying this to get people leave them be then possibly start development on it after Final Fantasy XIV (is that the roman numeral for 14? *shrugs*) or Final Fantasy XV because they already have idea's for XV so they could wait until after that, but then again that article of the Final Fantasy VII remake i read could have also been bullshit.

ultimasupersaiyan

Dec 9, 2008
On second thought I have a solution for Square-Enix. Since they want to make more western styles games, how about selling Final Fantasy back to Hironobu Sakaguchi and let him make good Final Fantasy's and Mistwalker will make a remake of Final Fantasy VII without a second thought. I love Final Fantasy but I have to admit that I hated Final Fantasy XII and I thought Final Fantasy XIII was ok but look at them and look at the ones Hironobu Sakaguchi worked on, he made sure those games were good.

LightspeedJack

May 2, 2010
Call this wishful thinking but I kind of think they may be trying to buy time with these overblown statements. No way would it take 40 years but they haven't figured out exactly how they could re-create the mechanics of the "over-world" system. I would bet money that one day somewhere down the line Sqeenix will do this and when they do they will have more money than they know what to do with. I would expect to hear something around the 20th anniversary of the original game, 2017.