Final Fantasy VIII Getting High-Res PC Release

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
So much IX love here. :')

But yeah, glad to see fans of FFVIII are getting a polished version of the game.

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
I was too poor to get the latest gear but my friend got FFVIII the same day as he got his dreamcast, with house of the dead and sonic adventure.

And compared to dreamcast godliness FFVIII looked so bad we couldn't play it.

excalipoor

Jan 16, 2011
twaddle said:
Deshin said:
twaddle said:
The funny thing is final fantasy 10 and 10-2 are prequels to 7 and exist in the same universe, though there was planet hoping
Erm... got a citation on that? FF10's planet was Spira and FF7's planet was Gaia. If I remember correctly I think FF12 had the same universe as FF9 did but I'm not entirely sure on that one either.

Edit: I looked up what you said. As far as I can see none of it is "canon" and more a case of "oh I see what you did there" by saying Shinra (the boy, not the company) was planning on using Farplane energy. But it still makes 0 sense because let's say Shinra does indeed plan that out -> harvest Spira -> Travel to Gaia -> 1,000 years of nothing -> new company pops up named Shinra that does the same thing. It doesn't make any sense whatsoever and is more than likely a 'lost-in-translation' of them saying "We made a refence to one of our other games, phnar phnar!"
That not as implausible as you make it seem. All they are saying is The humans from spira developed space travel and traveled to another hospitable planet, and 1000's of years later disaster occurred and they lost the technology, eventually humans created a new civilization re-developed technology using remnants of the past.
It still doesn't make sense though. Shinra's (FFX-2) plan involves using Farplane for energy, so that's the goal right from the start. Cetra, the Ancients in FFVII are a people who travel from world to world, make it fertile and move on in their search for the Promised Land. The humans of FFVII are Cetra who gave up and decided to settle down, in the process slowly killing the planet instead of nurturing it.

The Cetra race could be the descendants of Shinra (FFX-2...). However, Shinra's motives matches the humans' of FFVII, and not the Cetra's.

Deshin

Aug 31, 2010
Ghostwise said:
Square Enix is somewhat mentally challenged when it comes to rereleasing some of their best products. These titles would sell infinitely better if they just cleaned up the visuals a bit on the console versions and put them in HD. I mean seriously, FFVII,VIII, and IX are the top sellers on the PSN classics section every single month. GET WITH IT. Why are they wasting time and resources to port them to the PC? Not necessarily a bad thing but cater to the audience that made these games classics. More folks would rather play them on their console of choice than on their pc or laptop more than likely.
I disagree, I'd prefer a PC rerelease (old one doesn't work anymore) so I can play it on my computer, on my couch (hdmi cables go), on my laptop in my room in bed, or on my laptop at work when I've got a boring night shift.

Mr.Pandah

Pandah Extremist
Jul 20, 2008
Oh my goodness...if IX saw a re-release, I think I might die. I love that game to death.

AgentShiver

Sep 4, 2011
Love. VIII is my favorite Final Fantasy title. If my old PS2 ever kicks the bucket, I'm definitely buying this.
I've never gotten to play VI though, so I'm hoping for a re-release of that as well.

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
I was hoping for this when they re-released VII. I do have the original PC release and I have it installed but it runs pretty crappy on Windows 8 (ran fine on Windows 7 though).

If they release IX on PC, I hope they speed it up.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
It's also coming to Steam [http://steamdb.info/app/39150/]. So is Final Fantasy VII [http://steamdb.info/app/39140/], possibly (though not likely) with some updates over last year's release.

P.S. Thanks

verdant monkai

Oct 30, 2011
It's time to crack it out again.

Final Fantasy 8 fans! PREPARE YERSELVES!

Go to 4:42 for a whole new perspective.

DragonWright

May 25, 2009
While I have no interest in a rerelease of a game I already own and wasn't exactly satisfied with to begin with...

...it does make me wonder if this news is going to lead to another Compilation project. Since VII's I thought VIII's world could stand to be expanded and explored.

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
I liked 8 but I want 9. I love 9. 9 is still in my top ten favorite games. It is my favorite FF game. Just GIVE ME 9!!!!

uchytjes

Mar 19, 2011
This is good for one reason, and one reason only: I CAN FINALLY PLAY THIS SHIT ON THE PC NOWADAYS WITHOUT IT LOOKING LIKE ABSOLUTE CRAP!

Also, I want screenshots. all the screenshots.

Storm Dragon

Nov 29, 2011
twaddle said:
SonOfVoorhees said:
This game was good, but god was the main character a moany, depressing bastard. Moody all the time. I would of exchanged him for another character if i could.

Actually, maybe they should make a new FF game about time travel like FF13-2, but it involves all the previous game characters and enemies in one game. That would be awesome. Then you can stick whiny face in a time out and just play as cloud, but then he was whiny a bit as well.
The funny thing is final fantasy 10 and 10-2 are prequels to 7 and exist in the same universe, though there was planet hoping
Oh, that's just some silly fan theory.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Kheapathic said:
Well with VII, X, X-2 and now this, I wonder if IX or XII are also going to get the pretty up treatment.
Something's telling me that the moment I start to LP FF XII International Zodiac Job Edition they'll suddenly announce an HD rerelease. It has happened so far to me when it came to me starting a FF X International Let's Play and it happened to me when I was LPing Kingdom Hearts Final Mix, and in that one I was translating. Maybe I should just say I'll be LPing it because I do quite love XII...>.>