Final Fantasy VIII Getting High-Res PC Release

KingdomFantasyXIII

Apr 4, 2012
Red X said:
KingdomFantasyXIII said:
FF13: C (Very similar to FF10. I like it better than FF10 because Lightning is a much better developed and relevant Main Character than Tidus. I also find Lightning's Gunblade FAR superior to Squall's in design and functionality.)

FF13-2: D (see FF10-2. If it didn't work once, why should it work again? that and while I do applaud Serah's death, I feel like the end of the world is a bit of a nut kicker and insert Sephiroth copy number 452: Caius Ballad)

FF14: F (had to remake and apologize for it. one of the top 3 worst next to FF2 and FF3)
You forgot 13-3, that looks like an abomination (not really, it just looks... different), It seems like Majora's Mask with Princess Zelda as the main character XD
I can't judge that yet due to it not being out. I have to play the game before I give it a score. However, I am going to look at the game as "the cup is half full" because it does have a Majora's Mask vibe to it.

CBanana

Aug 10, 2010
As has been said before, Final Fantasy VIII already had a PC port. That said, I do thing this recent bit of attention from Square Enix suggests that Final Fantasy XV is now extremely likely to include PC in its cross platform selection.

It's still a little bit odd for the PC to get this kind of attention from non-indie/doujin Japanese companies. Japan would seem to be the country with the lowest PC gamer to console gamer ratio.

Sheo_Dagana

Aug 12, 2009
It's easily my favorite Final Fantasy title, so I'm really hoping it will see a Western release.

JarinArenos

Jan 31, 2012
I do not have enough middle-fingers to give to Squeenix right now. FFVII gets a lousy porting and THIS gets the HD update? I begin to suspect that I'm actively being trolled...

Feh, not like they've done anything else I give a damn about in the past 5 years. Just go ahead and keep putting your effort into FF13 spinoffs and throwing us older fans your leavings...

GabeZhul

Mar 8, 2012
Lunar Templar said:
GabeZhul said:
Also, if Omega Weapon scales, then what kind of pussy would want to take on it under level 100?! I mean, come on, what is the fun about beating him if he is not at full power? It's just unsportsmanlike. Well, not that the Aura + Holy War + Meltdown + Limit-Break-Rapefest tactics I used were any better, but still...! :p
Meltdown doesn't work on Omega last I checked, Doom Train does though.

>.> and last time I try that 'holy war tactic, I got killed, between HW castings XD

Aura+low HP induced Limit break Bum Rush FTW though :D
Meltdown most certainly works, though not with 100% accuracy. I should know, I have beaten Omega Weapon about ten times and I always used Meltdown on it to inflict Vit0. :p

JarinArenos said:
I do not have enough middle-fingers to give to Squeenix right now. FFVII gets a lousy porting and THIS gets the HD update? I begin to suspect that I'm actively being trolled...

Feh, not like they've done anything else I give a damn about in the past 5 years. Just go ahead and keep putting your effort into FF13 spinoffs and throwing us older fans your leavings...
As I brought up already, I actually think that they are using FFVIII as a test-run to see how such a remake can and should be done, so that they will have a group experienced in such a field once they get around to FFVII. In other words, this FFVIII release is a guinea pig.

EstrogenicMuscle

Sep 7, 2012
This game has existed on the PC for a long time. But at least hopefully this port will be significantly improved to the point of very good.

The old Final Fantasy PC releases deserved a new re-release. Dealing with Square Store to buy Final Fantasy VII is a hassle, though. They need to finally get the game on Steam. They've been updating the Steam database, so they've got to be planning on it. They also need to dump their current DRM for Steamworks when they do.

Maybe if the games do well enough, Square might consider porting games that haven't previously had PC ports to the PC again. Like maybe Final Fantasy IX or something like that.
CBanana said:
As has been said before, Final Fantasy VIII already had a PC port. That said, I do thing this recent bit of attention from Square Enix suggests that Final Fantasy XV is now extremely likely to include PC in its cross platform selection.

It's still a little bit odd for the PC to get this kind of attention from non-indie/doujin Japanese companies. Japan would seem to be the country with the lowest PC gamer to console gamer ratio.
I don't know about extremely likely. But I would hope something like that would happen, whatever the quality of Final Fantasy XV.

It certainly at least seems to improve the possibility of such an event. As well as PC releases from them in general.

I have to think that maybe this sort of thing is related to the fact they recently released Final Fantasy XIV which was originally a PC exclusive. They have lots of people in Japan and abroad who bought gaming PCs to play Final Fantasy XIV. That means there's a Final Fantasy fanbase on the PC for certain. They probably want to sell more games to that audience.

And you make a good point about doujinshi. Most of the PC games out of Japan are doujinshi. I'd like to see the market shift in a direction that we see more Japanese games on the PC outside of the indie/doujin community in Japan.

SinisterGehe

May 19, 2009
Should we check back in about this project in about 10 years. Just the fact they say they are making it doesn't ensure it comes out or that it will be any good.

Because I think lately they been cashing in a bit too much with Fan's fandom and the IP's name.

rokkolpo

Aug 29, 2009
Kheapathic said:
Well with VII, X, X-2 and now this, I wonder if IX or XII are also going to get the pretty up treatment.
XII still looks pretty good in my opinion.
But it would be pretty cool.

Manji187

Jan 29, 2009
So, what do you do when inspiration runs low, you lose millions of yen despite good sales and you can't seem to finish that title you've been working on for like 4+ years (Versus XIII), Squeenix?

You rerelease and then some.

That's just delaying the inevitable, Squeenix. Eventually you will have to take risks.

excalipoor

Jan 16, 2011
EstrogenicMuscle said:
I have to think that maybe this sort of thing is related to the fact they recently released Final Fantasy XIV which was originally a PC exclusive. They have lots of people in Japan and abroad who bought gaming PCs to play Final Fantasy XIV. That means there's a Final Fantasy fanbase on the PC for certain. They probably want to sell more games to that audience.
FFXIV was never going to be a PC exclusive. The UI was designed from the ground up to be playable on a gamepad, and the PS3 version was originally supposed to launch a few months after PC. Then they realized they have an utterly broken game on their hands, so they kept it free to play and postponed the PS3 release. PS3 was always supposed to be the "true" launch, PC was just testing the waters.

Squenix is pumping out Final Fantasy ports on iOS too (not very big in Japan either (don't quote me on that though, I have absolutely no idea how well it's doing over there)), so I wouldn't take this as a sign of PC support for future titles in the series. I think it's safe to say that FFXI and FFXIV had PC versions only because the western MMO crowd swings almost exclusively that way.

GabeZhul said:
Also, if Omega Weapon scales, then what kind of pussy would want to take on it under level 100?! I mean, come on, what is the fun about beating him if he is not at full power? It's just unsportsmanlike. Well, not that the Aura + Holy War + Meltdown + Limit-Break-Rapefest tactics I used were any better, but still...! :p
To be fair, Omega sports the greatest potential of brutally murdering you regardless of the level. The only real difference is whether he dies in one Lionheart/Duel, or five...

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
Already had ff8 for pc, but I will probably pick this up. I really liked 8. Sure the Junction system sucked, but at least it felt like a final fantasy game.

EeveeElectro

Cats.
Aug 3, 2008
Oooh. I might be able to actually finish it if I get this. I'd have to get a USB controller though, my fingers are far too fiddly otherwise.
It'll be easier than getting another PS2 and trying to find a copy of the game.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
In short, what was shiny on the PlayStation may not be so shiny today.
What was shiny in the PlayStation back then, wasn't shiny anywhere else, at least compared to the N64 and Voodoo graphics PCs of the era, heck, the Dreamcast was already released when this game came out.

The PS1 is truly the most graphically outdated platform ever concieved. Did anyone gave a shit?, of course not, that with those shiny and sometimes downright beautiful FMVs and great games overall, I still (generally) don't give a shit about how crappy it looked.

On a different note, this whole affair of FFVIII getting a facelift for PC a la FFVII gives me a resounding meh, I want IX gods dammit >.<'

JarinArenos

Jan 31, 2012
SupahGamuh said:
On a different note, this whole affair of FFVIII getting a facelift for PC a la FFVII gives me a resounding meh, I want IX gods dammit >.<'
FFVII never got a facelift, it just got a GOG-style rerelease that actually plays on modern systems.

And yeah, I'm all for a IX release, but seriously, I don't get it... why put all this effort into the title in your library LEAST likely to pay off? 'Test case' my arse, I swear if they use this failing as an excuse not to re-release the better FF games, I'm going to... do... um... something.

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
JarinArenos said:
SupahGamuh said:
FFVII never got a facelift, it just got a GOG-style rerelease that actually plays on modern systems.

And yeah, I'm all for a IX release, but seriously, I don't get it... why put all this effort into the title in your library LEAST likely to pay off? 'Test case' my arse, I swear if they use this failing as an excuse not to re-release the better FF games, I'm going to... do... um... something.
VII did get graphical enhancements as well as a new soundtrack (that everyone hates).

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
I don't know why I thought it was FFVII at first and I thought "Eh, this again."
And then I realized it was FFVIII, my favorite game ever. So yes, I'm up for this. Anything that has to do with FFVIII, I'm up for it.

Darklupus

Mar 13, 2010
I wonder if they're going to update the game by adding more stuff to it. For example, adding in the April Fools the Seifer leader scenario, adding more story to the rest of the characters so each can have a resolution, and adding in the chocobo character for a member of the party like the FF8 PC game did. It would be cool if Seifer, Ward, Laguna, Kiros, and Edea became a party member again and learned more limit breaks, and Raijin and Fujin become part of the group as well with their own limit breaks.