Final Fantasy VIII Getting High-Res PC Release

likalaruku

Nov 29, 2008
CriticalMiss said:
I think 7 is more in need of a visual make-over than 8, at least the latter didn't suffer from barbell arms. And I will hop on the FF9 bandwagon, give us more resomolutions Squeenix!
Yes, FF7 has some of the most atrocious polygons ever to grace gaming. Dammit SE, just give us our damn remake already.

Pictured above: Artistic abomination.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
Evil Smurf said:
Depends whether you like old school or newer JRPG styles. If old school any of the SNES ones are good (4-6), If newer I'd say 7 or 9.

I don't think 8 is terrable but the GF junction and draw systems are slow and boring.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
Eric the Orange said:
Evil Smurf said:
Depends whether you like old school or newer JRPG styles. If old school any of the SNES ones are good (4-6), If newer I'd say 7 or 9.

I don't think 8 is terrable but the GF junction and draw systems are slow and boring.
I'll check out 4 then 7

FinalDream

[Insert Witty Remark Here]
Apr 6, 2010
This is great news, actually I'm in the camp that thinks 7's graphics hold out better for not trying to be realistic. It's an iconic style that (for better or worse) is part of what FF7 is.

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
Eric the Orange said:
Evil Smurf said:

9 is slower than 8. Even if you choose to draw, you can stop at any time and once you are full of all the available magic, you won't need to draw again until the monsters level up. 9 is slow for every battle and you cannot avoid the battles.

Seracen

Sep 20, 2009
Well, I can't imagine this will be too hard, considering that FF8 on PC was already competently done back in the day. Unfortunately, FF7 was BUGGY AS HELL.

I think I developed my save OCD from the constant crash to desktop I experienced in that game, all from something as stupidly simple as audio driver support for the game (which sucked no matter what you had).

Still, FF8 was the game that got me into RPG's, so really stoked for this. Hope to see Legend of Dragoon and FF9 of course.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Sounds interesting but I'm not going to be picking this one up. I can't help but wonder though if the 3DS will be getting any remakes of past Final Fantasy titles like the GBA and DS ended up getting...I can see the PSX Final Fantasy games working well on the 3DS.

GabeZhul

Mar 8, 2012
Sounds nice but really doesn't interests me that much. I mean, I have finished FF8 something like nine times since it was released on the PC and did everything in that game that is possible (including getting Lionheart on Disk 1 and acing the SeeD exam), save for the Queen of Cards side-quest, because it was dumb. Really, I loved that game, I loved Squall's character-development (something that most people simply refuse to see because it's not shoved into their faces) and loved the romantic aspect of it, but I will not replay it again just for the better graphics, especially since there are already some home-brew DirectX hijackers that allows me to force anisotropic filtering, antialiasing and other goodies onto the game engine.

For the other games, however... Well, if they made a good HD port of FFIX, I would probably play it, as I only finished that game about twice and I loved the characters (even if the art-design wasn't always to my liking), so experiencing it again could be nice. But yeah, if we are talking about remakes, it's FFVII that really needs one. I only finished that game once waaaaaay back, but then when I few years later I tried to replay it, I just couldn't get back into it because the graphics were just so rudimentary and the battle-system was so slow and simple. Seeing a good remake of that game might even make someone as picky as me pry his wallet open...

Gorrath

Feb 22, 2013
verdant monkai said:
It's time to crack it out again.

Final Fantasy 8 fans! PREPARE YERSELVES!

Go to 4:42 for a whole new perspective.

I could make an equally obnixious sound bite with me screaming about the jaw dropping plotholes of VII, or X, or X-2, or XII or... well I think you get my point.

Personally, I enjoyed 8, quite a bit. It has problems and I can understand why anyone might not like like, but yelling about FFVIII having plot holes seems a bit silly when compared with most of teh rest of games bearing the same name.

anonymity88

Sep 20, 2010
One thing that people who gush over 9 always seem to gloss over is the crappy trance system. I lost count of the amount of times I'd unavoidably be sent into trance mode by some random mook when I was inches away from a big boss fight because of some low damage slap attack. -_-

Also I always felt that 8's draw and junction system was pretty cool, it moved away from the level grinding system of other RPG's at the time and meant you could truly break the game if you had card refine, draw, and junction strength on Squall. The idea of weakening yourself by using magic was a nice touch too, as it added a risk vs. reward dynamic.

I might pick this up, as I loved this and 12 a lot more than I ever did 7, 9 or 10. (Sacrilege I know...)

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
anonymity88 said:
One thing that people who gush over 9 always seem to gloss over is the crappy trance system. I lost count of the amount of times I'd unavoidably be sent into trance mode by some random mook when I was inches away from a big boss fight because of some low damage slap attack. -_-

Also I always felt that 8's draw and junction system was pretty cool, it moved away from the level grinding system of other RPG's at the time and meant you could truly break the game if you had card refine, draw, and junction strength on Squall. The idea of weakening yourself by using magic was a nice touch too, as it added a risk vs. reward dynamic.

I might pick this up, as I loved this and 12 a lot more than I ever did 7, 9 or 10. (Sacrilege I know...)
Yes, the Trance system was stupid, the ability system was stupid and it was the slowest Final Fantasy game. I don't get the love for FF9 at all.

GabeZhul

Mar 8, 2012
BTW, time to pre-emptively dispel a few FF8 myths:

-Squall is emo: No he is not. He is a very cynical character with serious issues (namely that he cannot recover from a childhood trauma because the GFs cause memory loss and he can't remember said trauma), and him slowly overcoming his own disposition because of the combined effect of his friends, his leadership-role and his love is one of the most important themes of the story.

-The gunblade is dumb: No, it isn't. Well, okay, it would be dumb as a real life weapon, but it is not. It is not only wielded by a magically enhanced super-mercenary, who can afford it being unwieldy in exchange of its unique vibroblade qualities, but it being an unusual and easily recognizable weapon is actually a HUGE plot-point.
Namely, that the entire reason Squall gets into a leader-position is because at the end of the game he saves Edea during the time compression, after defeating Ultimecia, and his most striking characteristic at that point was his Gunblade. Edea told that to Cid, Cid put the pieces together once Squall came around, and that's why he gave Squall the leash, thus enabling the later event and the completion of the stable time-loop.

-Drawing sucks: Yes it does. A good thing that you practically never have to do it save for getting new GFs. After my first playthrough, I practically never had to use drawing, ever, since I got all the magics I needed for junctioning through the GFs refinement abilities.

-The game is broken because the enemies level up with you: No and yes. Yes, the enemies level with you, but it doesn't really matter, since the random encounters are practically pushovers, Don't believe any of the silly claims about how you have to keep your level low and such. There is absolutely no reason to do so, especially since the bosses are at a fixed level, so if you go out of your way to keep your level as low as possible, late-game bosses will rape you much harder than any leveled random monsters ever.

-The junction system is broken: Yes, but it is not a bad thing. In fact, it is my favorite system ever, since it lets me re-define my characters on the fly and it just strokes the ego of my inner munchkin to make them obscenely powerful through planning and utilizing my resources.
Also, I don't know about you, but I LOVE breaking game systems. It just feels so damn great when I set up my character in such a way that the supposedly hard bosses become pushovers, especially since there are almost no scripted battles in the game where you are forced to lose and whatever, so nothing breaks the immersion of the characters being overpoweringly powerful, as SeeDs should be anyway.
Well, okay, there is a single battle like that at the end of Disk 1, but you don't actually lose in a battle but in a cut-scene and it is a limit-break that incapacitates Squall, so it's forgivable in my book.

-The game is too easy: Excuse me, but did you really want to play a post-SNES Final Fantasy game for challenge? I mean, okay, your call, but doing that feels like saying that you don't like Dark Souls because there wasn't enough deep characterization and storytelling in it... Just missing the point, really.

Nicholas Mayjor

Mar 8, 2012
As a Steam Fanboy.. I just hope they don't release it as a Square Only Download release....... HATE THAT
I wanted to download VII, but I am holding off to see if it may leak

verdant monkai

Oct 30, 2011
Gorrath said:
I could make an equally obnixious sound bite with me screaming about the jaw dropping plotholes of VII, or X, or X-2, or XII or... well I think you get my point.
Take it up with Lyle Mcdouchebag friend.

I personally like most of the final fantasy games because as long as a game is entertaining then I'm happy.

Auron225

Oct 26, 2009
As much as I loved the story of FF8, the GF/Draw system of combat was the worst combat system I have ever seen in any game. It was so ridiculous that I couldn't bear to play it again no matter how pretty it looks.

Aitamen

Dec 6, 2011
Charli said:
bringer of illumination said:
Where is my HD FF IX rerelease you twats?

I want a fucking IX rerelease!
Dude I want a whole remake, prettied up CGI cut scenes and voice acting. THE WORKS. That game was the shiznit.

...Leave me to my dreams.
Depends... I'd love to have a VA'd Quina and Steiner... but some roles would need rather skilled VAs, especially Freya, Beatrix, and Kuja...

Also, I'd be curious as to how Zorn/Thorn would work in VA. I've used them as an example of understanding chaos through order (similar to the "every turn is simultaneous, it's just represented in turns to help you guys out" of AD&D and (ideally) of RPGs.