Final Fantasy XIII-2 Debuts to Lackluster Sales

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
I can't say I'm surprised. As much as I like Final Fantasy XIII, there's no denying that the general consensus did not like it. And that's probably what led to the game's less than stellar sales.

Skoosh

Jun 19, 2009
I think most of the people here are way too harsh on 13. In the last year I played (or replayed) through 4 Final Fantasies: 6, 8, 9, and 13. While it wasn't the best, 13 was still quite enjoyable. It was slow to start, but so are half the FFs. Once it got going the story was interesting, the gameplay was fun, and the linearity wasn't bad. Not to mention the absolutely gorgeous aesthetics/graphics.

I think part of the problem is people are too forgiving of the old ones and too harsh on the new ones due to nostalgia. Yeah, the series is changing too, but it has ALWAYS changed. Changing isn't stabbing the fans in the back. I love 6 and 7, but 10 is my favorite, and 13 was fun.

So yeah, I'm getting this game. It looks good, and if the people would actually give it a chance rather than say they hate their fans, they'd realize that they were trying to go back to more classic style for 13-2 because the fans wanted it. So yeah, less linear, able to increase difficulty if you want, etc...but nobody cares, bandwagon is too comfortable.

Jegsimmons

Nov 14, 2010
ok im gonna be honest, with the exception of maby 7 and 9, the final fantasy games after 6 have all be complete shit with bad stories, annoying characters, an outdated gameplay (turn based is old, try real time beat em up for a change), lasted way too damn long, has style of substance, and quite frankly if they went under i would only miss them because of kingdom hearts.

if they cant be bothered to actually MAKE A GAME INSTEAD OF AN INTERACTIVE MOVIE then i have no sympathy.

Also, sequelizing a sequel is a bullshit concept, just call it "Part 2" like everyone else. or better yet, if it can't be squeezed in that 100 hour game you made to begin with, dont bother.

Jegsimmons

Nov 14, 2010
Furioso said:
Wait a second, why are they even making a sequel to this one, this one of all the Final Fantasys, there's plenty of far better recieved, older ones they could have used, like [insert your favorite FF here] or even [insert 2nd fav here] but this one? Really? They could have made a sequel to 7 and their pockets would have exploded with money
they made a sequel to seven....and it was the abortion called advent children....

Furioso

Jun 16, 2009
Jegsimmons said:
Furioso said:
Wait a second, why are they even making a sequel to this one, this one of all the Final Fantasys, there's plenty of far better recieved, older ones they could have used, like [insert your favorite FF here] or even [insert 2nd fav here] but this one? Really? They could have made a sequel to 7 and their pockets would have exploded with money
they made a sequel to seven....and it was the abortion called advent children....
That's a movie, but still, someone call me when Square Enix gets back on track, I'll be busy replaying my "Tales of..." games

Draconalis

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2008
Shark Wrangler said:
Answered your own question. Like how I said you could do a bit of research and then you said how am I supposed to do that. Basically typed back a couple of examples. Everyone thats says they are kept in the dark and have access to the internet, are lying about knowing nothing. Read about the game in a gaming website, watch someone play a little bit of it on Youtube. The last part about being safe with your money, that came out of right field, I am starting to think people only read half of what you say and then respond.
I could spend time explaining... but given this response, I get the feeling it would be wasted effort. No offense or anything, I have just stopped caring enough to continue.

I mostly get the feeling we aren't on the same page, and I don't feel like finding out who misunderstood what.

ZombieMonkey7

Dec 24, 2009
Square Enix: How can people not be buying XIII-2?! With all the good reviews it's gotten it should have been a massive success!
Employe: Sir, I think it's because most people hated XIII, I mean why would they buy a sequel to a game they hated. Some even went as far to say that it had the worst RPG plot to ever been conceived.
Square Enix: Are you actually saying we should listen to our customers?! Your insane! Besides we promised them we would do better, they can't blame us.
Employe: But we made exactly the same game with the push one button gameplay and an even more ridiculous plot the first one.
Square Enix: Your fired! You just don't recognize the genus of XIII-2 and besides we can't remake final fantasy 14 with people like you on staff

remnant_phoenix

Apr 4, 2011
Master Cylinder said:
Haters gonna hate. Believe it or not, some people actually liked FFXIII; my personal favorites next to FFIX are FFXII and FFXIII (hell, even FFX-2 was good and pretty unique compared to the other games). The games aren't getting worse, it's the fanbase that's the problem. Every FF game is different in some way from the previous installment, so of course some people will feel betrayed when a new game comes out that tries something new. This is why the FF fanbase is so divided and why opinions on each game vary drastically. I can understand if people don't like the newest installments, but to hope that Square Enix does bad so that they learn a lesson? Really?! Square Enix doesn't deserve so much hate.
You assume too much.

I've played and enjoyed (in varying degrees) every main series game (except FFXI) and I embraced the changes as they came.

I can't speak for the rest of the disappointed fans, but my disdain for FFXIII doesn't come from "because it's different." My disdain comes from that, in my opinion, the changes made the game poor.

The story was told in such a way that you have to read the Datalog to make sense of the plot and to fully appreciate the characters and the setting. No matter which way you slice it, that is NOT GOOD STORYTELLING.

Also, the Paradigm System was great, but you had to get over halfway through the game to be able to customize your party and strategy. Most of the fights in the game are time-sinks and don't require you to employ the system effectively to be successful. No matter which way you slice it, that is NOT GOOD GAME DESIGN.

See? I don't hate the game because it was different. I hate it because it wasn't good. Pure and simple.

If you like it, fine. I don't, and for good reasons, not "because it was different." Aren't opinions great?

Ragnarok185

Oct 14, 2011
More games need to be like final fantasy xiii. need more focus on story and characters and less focus on exploration and gameplay.

Haters gonna hate but the haters will always LOSE.

Et3rnalLegend64

Jan 9, 2009
gring said:
Et3rnalLegend64 said:
Shark Wrangler said:
Always funny how gamers take stuff like a bad game in the series so damn personally. Like to play this game because it sounds like they fixed the problems. Big let down with Final Fantasy 13, but I don't want them to stop making it. Every company makes god awful choices and they are not immune to it. Really funny how gamers think that every game that comes out has to be tailored for them or it sucks. Thats a high horse I would gladly kick you down from if I could.
Dear lord this. I'll assume Square got the message that the formula for XIII had to change and it sounds like they really tried to change it, yet we get all these comments saying that the entire series should die in a fire just because the first game wasn't to their liking (and no amount of fixes will change their minds).

While I really don't think they should keep up with the plan of yearly releases (same for Assassin's Creed, much as I love those games), I don't have so much undiluted hatred for Square as so many others seem to. I enjoyed FF12 (haven't played 13). While the story was not as grand as others have been, I enjoyed the characters and the battle system (Vaan and Penelo still have almost no importance in the grand scheme of things though).
My brother played 13 and admits that the battle system and general gameplay were flawed, but he liked the characters and story enough to say that he would gladly buy the sequel. The only things stopping him is our backlist of RPG's (Tales of Vesperia and all of Shin Megami Tensei) and general lack of cash.

People have to chill, seriously.
again, if you actually read what people are saying before just reacting, you'll see that people are happy its failing right now as in the present moment, which may end up having some franchise reevaluations, which the series desperately needs. and if it did change, they would support THAT Final Fantasy Franchise, but just not this one.

"yet we get all these comments saying"... no. no one here is really honestly saying that, so you're lecture is obsolete.
Quick thing, and for the record I have no rage behind this post. I'm only saying that people are throwing out so much spite just because Square didn't hit their projected sales count. From their words, it sounds like they haven't played the game yet and possibly haven't even heard the opinion of someone who has. Square does seem to have listened to what the people had to say about the first XIII, but the people here don't think it's worth seeing if their complaints got addressed sufficiently before throwing their knives.

Edit: Oh, and last thing. I am focusing on the XIII series since it's the topic of the article but I'm hoping that since Square seems to be listening to feedback for this series, it means that they will listen to feedback for the franchise as a whole (and that people would see it as such). They probably have been already (someone above said they made 12 in response to wishes of a more Western style, open-world RPG and caught flak for it)

Jodah

Aug 2, 2008
Witty Name Here said:
It probably could've used more advertising, I consider myself a fan of the series and had no problem with XIII, however I didn't even know it came out. o_O
So much this. I'll probably pick it up sometime after Christmas but I had no idea it came out. The last thing I remember is unconfirmed rumors that it might be made...

bakan

Jun 17, 2011
Jodah said:
Witty Name Here said:
It probably could've used more advertising, I consider myself a fan of the series and had no problem with XIII, however I didn't even know it came out. o_O
So much this. I'll probably pick it up sometime after Christmas but I had no idea it came out. The last thing I remember is unconfirmed rumors that it might be made...
My copy should arrive in some days, so I can play Ni No Kuni, and FF-XIII-2 during the holiday (if I have time for it :p).
Though you should note that XIII-2 is scheduled for release on 31.01 NA and 03.02 EU - so only the Japanese version is available atm.

dimensional

Jun 13, 2011
so the sales arent lackluster as such its just not what they were hoping?

Cant say I am surprised given the general reception of 13 and time they have chosen to release its sequel. Personally I found XIII average the great battle system not being unlocked until after I have finished the game was an absolutely ridiculous decision on their part however but they pulled the same crap with XII (i.e 40 hours until XIII picks up 60 hours until XII picks up, yes I looked at the in game clock).

The best Final Fantasys in my opinion are IV,VI,VII and X but the good thing about them is that they change all the time (unlike Dragon Quest for instance) so just because the last one sucked dosent mean the next one will, or vice versa. I will wait until I have played it before making a decision and as for those who thought XIII was the worst FF ever I dont believe they have played FFII that game was just horrible in every way but even so I would go so far as to say XIII was better than I,III and XII as well (havent played the online games and have no intention to).

Deviluk

Jul 1, 2009
I thought FFXIII had the same aloft narrative but good gameplay as other FFs I've played. The difference being I finished this one. So I don't really understand all the hate here. I'm sure they addressed at least some issues you had with the last one in this one...

Mister K

This is our story.
Apr 25, 2011
Baresark said:
Ipsen said:
VMK said:
Baresark said:
The cast of characters was annoyingly mediocre and uninteresting.
I agree with everything but this.
Sazh was (is) great.
I'm finished.
You're right. Sazh stands out as one of the few interesting characters, it's been a while since I played the game. So much more interesting, if they completely did away with Lightning and had him stand in as the main character. This whole androgynous thing they do with the main character of games is turning horrible. I loved FFXII but Vaan, as a main character, was incredibly weak and was surrounded by much more interesting characters. Thank god they were around. Someone needs to tell them that it's ok to pick a specific gender for their main characters and then build a character model with those gender traits. And I don't mean the characters do not have a specific gender, but they are designed as such that they have physical features of both genders. Vaan, a male character, had much more female traits. Lightning, a female character, carries herself like a man and is a typical aggressive male. The same could be said for Fang. Then you have the character Hope with female physical features (the only male distinguishing feature is his hair). Then you are treated to the opposite. Vanille and Serah were extremely female, to the point they needed a male-ish character to help and protect them.

Sorry, I'm ranting, but you see my point. They are simply building characters these days that do not fit distinctly into a single physical or emotional gender. And it drives me nuts because it leads to poor story telling and characterization. Though the settings tend to always be interesting. Zazh is the only interesting character because his story with his son is compelling and emotionally driven. You can literally feel his pain. And I can only think this has to do with his definitive characterization as a male father figure. Such strict characterization that is denied in their other characters. And, I'm done. Sorry. :p
Plus Sazh is smartest one of them:
*party goes somewhere, when Grand Priest appears*
GP: I have all the answers on my base. C'mon, visit it.
Party: charge!!!
Sazh: Hey! Wait! He is simply luring us in the trap.
Party: Shut it! You have normal hair. Your argument is invalid. Charge!!!
Sazh: *grunt* Sorry, Dazh, but you'll have to wait. Daddy must save some fools.

DuplicateValue

Jun 25, 2009
Ligisttomten said:
I lost all faith in the Final Fantasy franchise after the garbage that was FFXII and FFXIII. The only two Final Fantasy games I never finished.
XII is probably my favourite of the series actually - I never understood why people give it so much grief.

As for XIII, I haven't played much of it, but besides being a bit dull to start off, it didn't seem too bad. I'll be going back to it after I'm done with some other games I've picked up. I do want Square Enix to continue the XIII series, if only to play Versus.

Ragnarok185

Oct 14, 2011
People are judging this game purely on their hate for FFXIII. If FFVII was so damn fun to play then why are you even here on a thread thats about a COMPLETELY different game(one you have NOT played yet) in almost every way. Im sorry for the rage but I just can't stand people being so ignorant and it's pissing me off to no end!