Final Fantasy XIII Could be Last of "This Type of Game" at Square

fogmike

Jul 31, 2009
Guys, we're missing the point here. The man basically responsible for one of the greatest series of all time, likes Myst. My faith is restored in the world.

tendo82

Uncanny Valley Cave Dweller
Nov 30, 2007
Square should go back to making great 16 bit RPGs, then they can continue to re-release dated games on every single gaming system ever.

MmmFiber

Apr 19, 2009
As long as Atlus doesn't go along with this, I think I'll be okay. But, honestly, I like turn-based combat. Even though I enjoyed the battle system for XII thoroughly. So I don't want to see the "usual" battle systems go away. And I also think it's funny when people who have never played an FF game are saying it's good that Square moves away from the traditional FF-type game. Granted, I will say that I thought that XII's real-time combat was a step in the wrong direction, but I ended up being quite fond of it.

Loxes

Apr 15, 2009
I'm not too worried. I would like to see more games in the vein of Kingdom Hearts/Versus XIII, but if they ditch the formula entirely I would be sad. There are a lot of faults with JRPGs/Final Fantasy, but I really like (heck, possibly love) Final Fantasy and I want to selfishly keep it the way I like it =3=

Optimus Hagrid

Feb 14, 2009
fogmike said:
Guys, we're missing the point here. The man basically responsible for one of the greatest series of all time, likes Myst. My faith is restored in the world.
Y'know, this information actually makes me want to play the series.

Well, no. But it's cool.

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
Ever since FFXIII was first revealed to be a series onto itself, I knew they were planning on ending the Final Fantasy franchise. I'm sure it will continue, but as an actual tied together series a la "Nova Crysallis"

Blanks

Mar 17, 2009
so changing the play style of their RPGs and games is what i got out of that, either way i still love their games so it'll be awesome

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
NeutralDrow said:
Hmm...

Does this mean we might get a present-day set Final Fantasy with real time combat?
I can see the box art now... a picture of your party, consisting of Captain Price, Ethan Thomas, Agent 47 and Nathan Drake, and the title says, "Final Reality".

AngloDoom

Aug 2, 2008
I doubt they'll change the forumla while they have an audience, but I hope they do.

Even if it's a failure, it's showing some progress. They can afford to make a bad game; people will still buy it. If it gets a poor reception, they can just go back to the old forumla.

I like the style of Final Fantasy and I do often like the stories, however the gameplay hooked me for about two-thirds of the game when everything was resonably difficult, then at the end when it gets insane I just lost all interest.

asinann

Apr 28, 2008
By changing the format they mean shortening the production cycles and cutting the budget to produce a new FF every year like EA does with Madden.

JMV

Sep 25, 2009
How much Gil should it take to "persuade" them not to do this?

Hyrulian Hero

May 20, 2009
I know what square can do now that FF is gonna be put on hold, or at least juggled to a different burner... Create Super Mario RPG 2! It's not like that attention whore Mario isn't gonna get 27 new games starring him in the next year or two anyways... So why not let one of them actually be good?! Plus, bringing back that game opens up it's few exclusive characters (Booster, Mallow, Geno, etc...) to be plugged into the next Kingdom hearts, or, if Square signs off on it, the next Smash Bros. So, 1 new game that we all want, and more characters in the other games we're gonna buy anyways, and something new for Square to make that isn't the same old FF game. Sounds like a win-win for everyone... but will it happen? Probably not... We'll end up with a "re-invented" Final Fantasy, and the same crap characters in Smash Bros plus maybe the Chef from Burgertime and your mom.

Damn game developers...

Raithnor

Jul 26, 2009
Maybe they plan to just focus on FFXIV as their primary game? Sort of like how BioWare is making TOR as opposed to KoTOR3+

Xersues

DRM-free or give me death!
Dec 11, 2009
Final Fantasy was cute 15 years ago. Now that linear movie type game is just old hat. It needs to die. Sorry kids, it's boring now.

I love their transition to 3D, and you couldn't tell who was male or female. Same crap over again, even Bioware is doing it.

The only company that's worse than EA is Konami with Dynasty Warriors, they blatantly copy the same formula. Final Fantasy to me lost it's magic after the transition to 3D. Become flashy movies you happen to play and see the same slime and whatever over and over again.

Even FFXIV the new MMO is the EXACT same stupid thing. Major headdesk on that idea.

Wake me up when something new happens. Oh yeah, it's called White Knight Chronicles, good for level-5. Hope it doesn't suck.

Yukichin

Mar 26, 2009
I really hope that they don't move toward Western ideas, honestly. I don't care too much for RPGs like Fable and Dragon Age: Origins; I like the linear storytelling of a lot of JRPGs! It feels like I'm reading a novel, while playing a fun game. That's what I like. If there were action-based gameplay or something, I have little problem with it, but leave storytelling alone.