Final Fantasy XIII Could be Last of "This Type of Game" at Square

ImpostorZim

Jan 7, 2009
The funny thing about all of this is that I used to love Final Fantasy and thought that the guys at SE were geniouses. Now I just realized that after X, they were just constantly stalling till the proverbial poop hit the fan. Atlus makes spectacular RPGs, but that's cause they mix things up and put a lot of innovation into their creations. Persona 4 anyone?

As far as my opinion on SE's possible "Drastic Changes", I think they really gotta get off the FF bandwagon and start bringing out newer and broader things, with less numbers in the title. It wouldn't hurt to see Square Enix make a fresh original title that played like The Elder Scrolls or Mass Effect.

NickCaligo42

Oct 7, 2007
-_o

Everything I hear about this game indicates that it's going to be the absolute WORST Final Fantasy game since Final Fantasy 8. Basically, take FF10, cut it down to JUST the battle system, linear corridors with monsters in them, and save points that also double as the game's ONLY shops, and you have Final Fantasy 13. Oh, and then dumb the battle system down to the point where it has almost no sense of strategy. How can they say it's the "last of its type" when it barely reflects anything that made the series good in the first place?

Impostorzim said:
The funny thing about all of this is that I used to love Final Fantasy and thought that the guys at SE were geniouses. Now I just realized that after X, they were just constantly stalling till the proverbial poop hit the fan. Atlus makes spectacular RPGs, but that's cause they mix things up and put a lot of innovation into their creations. Persona 4 anyone?
I gotta agree. It's really telling that Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep--effectively the Kingdom Hearts 3 that fans have been dying to see--is being made for the PSP rather than the PS3. It says to me that they're trying to stall from updating their development pipelines and practices and cling to the old hardware that they feel "safe" with as much as humanly possible, and when they aren't doing that they're not measuring up to their previous standards or fans' expectations in any way.

Yukichin said:
I really hope that they don't move toward Western ideas, honestly.
You know, I have to agree with you. If I want to play Dragon Age I'll go out and get Dragon Age. I play Mega Man to play Mega Man, Castlevania to play Castlevania, and Final Fantasy to play Final fucking Fantasy.

era81

Jun 11, 2009
Why doesn't Square just die as a former fan the execs of this company should have commited harikari about the time they tried to put Sakaguchi in the window seat.

Pendragon9

Apr 26, 2009
Come on decent Chrono Trigger sequel. Now is the time to strike! If they're gonna slow down on/stop the Final Fantasy for a while, it could just happen. >.< D:

Jun 6, 2009
As much as I haven't found intrest in FF since FF9, I must say...

It will never die.

It's like Sonic was to SEGA, Masterchief to Microsoft and Mario to Nintendo.

Unless Nathan Drake can fill FF's void from the Playstation then no. It will not die.

Besides. The sheer irony of that comes from the fact that they're making FFXIV.

ItsAPaul

Mar 4, 2009
Um, it ended with FF12? Unless this game reverted back to random battles, it is a new kind of game.

likalaruku

Nov 29, 2008
I liked the old 2D FF games & quit after 7 (as nothing killed my interest in a franchise faster than a 2D-to-3D jump).

But I suppose if they became more like western RPGs, I'd start playing.

Fightgarr

Concept Artist
Dec 3, 2008
harhol said:
If he means original non-FF JRPGs, well... Square haven't made an outstanding one since Vagrant Story, so it's not that big of a deal.
And Vagrant Story was even set in a Final Fantasy universe. If I understood correctly it is within the same universe as Tactics during a different time period.

qbanknight

Apr 15, 2009
he just means the developers will move on to more worthwhile things not Final Fantasy XXV or whatever. FF will live on for a long ass time...whether we like it or not (im in the not camp)

Infernai

Apr 14, 2009
Well, i did have to give the final fantasy series credit for one thing. They atleast tried to put new things in and tried out new gameplay aspects (eg. Play Final Fantasy 7 and then play Final Fantasy 12. You'll notice a gameplay difference). Still, i will agree that they did have the same 'linear' feel as most other games with practically no choices to make. And they did have some problems, such as not all idea's worked (Dirge of Cerberus is one such game). But hey, atleast they actually did try and add new things in. And the change of characters and worlds was nice (We don't need another legend of Zelda, i don't think)

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
See Im skeptical because they said 'This type of game'

That could mean anything from the battle system to the stylistic direction to hell the typical architypes of the Final fantasy series, to try somthing new. Square Enix let go of their Titular Franchise for good? HA!
Yeah and Nintendo are going to proclaim Sonic their new mascot and the next Tomb Raider game will feature a shirtless overweight nerd named Jerry...

Vierran

None here.
Oct 11, 2009
I think i will wait to see exactly what Mr. Imperial Hot means before i make any rash judgments.

omegawyrm

Nov 23, 2009
I would be extremely disappointed to lose the Final Fantasy series as an ongoing franchise. Lately I've been seeing a growing amount of people of the opinion the the old JRPG way of doing things is outdated and low-quality and that Bioware-inspired western-style RPGS are the only good RPGs being produced. This is an idea I really disagree with though, as I've really enjoyed all sorts of RPGs for years for their own individual merits.

MrSnugglesworth

Into the Wild Green Snuggle
Jan 15, 2009
Is Final Fantasy the longest running game series with actual sequels? (Not the Mario approach of just retconning Mario everywhere)

Xersues

DRM-free or give me death!
Dec 11, 2009
harhol said:
Xersues said:
The only company that's worse than EA is Konami with Dynasty Warriors
Dynasty Warriors is made by Koei, not Konami.
Err yeah, I knew there was something wrong with what I said. At any rate, Konami is still just as bad with Silent Hill, Dance Dance Revolution, and other cheesy franchises that have lost their glory.

Regurgi-japana-tation is still old hack. I didn't even know there were all these ridiculous Final Fantasies that came out. Still waiting on Final Fantasy: The Ring Bearer Cyrstal Ultrasonic Forever (see what I did there?)

Gamegodtre

Aug 24, 2009
all i hope is that for the love of god they dont add anymore game with motion controls.