Firefly Reboot Rumors Soar Like a Leaf

DanielG

Jul 16, 2012
It isn't true, Whedon was joking and the reporter at Bleeding Cool just couldn't tell. There are videos of the press conference at the bottom of the page at http://www.thecinemasource.com/blog/news/firefly-10th-anniversary-press-conference-exclusive-video-coverage/. What started the "reporting" at Bleeding Cool is around the 11:20 mark of the first video.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Somehow, I suspect Whedon is playing a cruel prank on us. I mean, between the next Dr. Horrible offering and whatever comes after The Avengers, I doubt he's lacking a full plate of projects. Not to mention little matters like re-uniting the cast, wrestling with rights, and so forth.

Book and Wash? I mean, c'mon. That's just cruel.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
Erja_Perttu said:
Clearing the Eye said:
Braedan said:
Not. Going. To. Happen.

Would be nice, but firefly is over.
Yup. People need to just get over it--not the show, but the idea of a series. It was a long time ago. It's done. Finished. End of. No more. Ever.
Exactly.

Besides, one of the reasons I loved that show so much was because it didn't go on long enough to get crap. I'd rather have what I've got, and think it perfect, than get more of it and have the rest be substandard.
I have to disagree with that. It is true that this happens to some series that run longer than they should(*COUGH*Heroes*COUGH*), but Joss Whedon's shows tend to have the opposite problem: they start slow and sometimes take a couple of seasons to hit their stride. First season of Buffy? Standard monster-of-the-week tripe in retrospect. Angel? Pretty boring until a couple seasons in. Dollhouse? First season was Quantum Leap until near the end of the season. Then it got good too late to keep Fox's interest. Firefly is the only Whedon show where the first season wasn't outshone by the preceding seasons, and that's possibly only because we didn't get more seasons.

Firefly wasn't cut down in its prime; it was cut down before it could hit a full sprint.

Aslyn

Jan 22, 2012
Dr. Mongo said:
I'm sure it will not happen, but I would absolutely watch every single episode if it did.
Yup. Although I would hope it would have a new cast. I LOVE the old cast, but as everyone else has stated, they are all older and busy. Maybe they could do cameos or something. Or, if everyone was willing to quit their current work, it could be a reboot 10 years in the future, so the ages fit. But I am 100% sure this will never happen. With the Avengers boosting Joss up, he won't want to do an old series on a niche network.

darthzew

Jun 19, 2008
Just reading through this thread, lots of people don't seem to have read the article. Especially this part, "The plan, if such a plan is in place, is to bring back the entire original cast - all of it - and start over from scratch."

But anyway, there isn't a better way to do it than this. Just forget the other thing ever happened and start over. There's no reason to worry about 10-year gap and no reason to worry about continuity. Also, if some fans don't like it, they don't have to worry about it because it is a separate entity from the old series. If this ever were to happen, this is how it should go down without doubt.

I hope it happens. Even if it isn't as good, I'd still like more Firefly.

Eleima

Keeper of the GWJ Holocron
Feb 21, 2010
I'd love to see a Firefly reboot,but not with Zach Effron.
Not holding my breath, though.

Starik20X6

Oct 28, 2009
Reboot? No thanks.

Continuation? Yes please.

Series set in the same universe following different characters? Yes please.

foxtrot3100

Mar 8, 2010
Stevepinto3 said:
Ugh. Do we have to do this every time Joss Whedon says so much as "Malcolm Reynolds"? Every few months there's another stir because someone from Firefly farted or something. All it does is get everyone's hopes up for nothing. Yet every time, articles and discussions pop up all over the internet.
This

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
So it took The Avengers for Joss Whedon to actually get noticed. What is wrong with the world? Joss has said multiple times, give him money and he will make spaceships in trouble. And judging form his previuos efforts, hes going to make the best there is.

With the Avengers boosting Joss up, he won't want to do an old series on a niche network.
a quote from Joss to you:
[on what he'd do if money were no object] - I have many dream projects. But all the money in the world means just one thing: spaceships. Spaceships in trouble.

Master_Fubar23

Jun 25, 2009
I hope they can get the show started again. I think the Firefly/Serenity universe has so much potential I can see it running for multiple seasons without getting stale. I think main reason Firefly died was due to its poor slot time. I remember back in high school I wasn't able to watch it since it was too late in the evening.

Jingle Fett

Sep 13, 2011
Normally I would have been inclined to say that as much as I wish it would happen it's probably not going to...

But the thing is, suddenly Joss Whedon is no longer just a niche guy, director of a few movies and TV series here and there, now he's the director of... The Avengers (read that last The Avengers part with MovieBob's comics are weird voice).

"A sci-fi series created by the director of The Avengers, the best selling movie of all time" is very marketable. Hell, anything with "created by the director of The Avengers" is marketable.

And after the success of The Avengers, you can bet that everyone in Hollywood and their mother is just begging for Whedon to work with them.

So I think it could realistically happen.

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
Off-topic but.....

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/space/9404524/Mars-landing-risky-but-not-crazy.html

The video demonstrates how the Mars Landing will work but all the time I was watching it I was thinking, "This looks like a Firefly episode!" - has the shaky out of focus camera shots and everything!

Daria.Morgendorffer

Nov 26, 2011
foxtrot3100 said:
Stevepinto3 said:
Ugh. Do we have to do this every time Joss Whedon says so much as "Malcolm Reynolds"? Every few months there's another stir because someone from Firefly farted or something. All it does is get everyone's hopes up for nothing. Yet every time, articles and discussions pop up all over the internet.
This
Yes, really this. Firefly did not become the instantaneous pop culture phenom that Star Wars did, and it's frankly not going to happen. And every time someone says Firefly, the internet insists on banging on my door reminding me that Firefly "should" have happened. And my response still is "but it didn't".

And I'm tired of being a science fiction fan having to listen to fellow sci-fi fans flogging this dead horse. Time has moved on, folks. There isn't one be-all and end-all, and even if there was, Firefly ain't even approaching being it.

Strazdas said:
So it took The Avengers for Joss Whedon to actually get noticed. What is wrong with the world?
The fact that he's a niche director who doesn't have a unique visual style and writes plot and dialogue for 15 year olds?

The Avengers would have been successful no matter who was at the helm, and it barely had a plot to speak of. It had a lot of built in hype and goodwill from previous films. I'm reasonably certain that 90% of the people who saw The Avengers STILL don't know that Joss Whedon directed it, and of the remaining 10%, 90% of those don't care. He's not a "name" director, and I honestly don't believe The Avengers did anything to change that.

When he builds a franchise from scratch that ISN'T a cult success, the fanbase can come talk to me about how poor Joss Whedon goes underappreciated.

Nami nom noms

Apr 26, 2011
Honestly I've never really liked firefly (the film wasn't too bad, mind), but I'd rather he did a reboot of buffy :p

Goofguy

Nov 25, 2010
It's all just wishful thinking and optimistic discussion at this point. Even if a rebooted show could be green-lit, it'd be a monumental task to bring back all 9 actors to reprise their roles. Many of them are already committed to other projects and who's to say all of them would even be interested in it?

HanFyren

Dec 19, 2011
If his happens, I hope the Science Channel execs know how to play the long game.

Firefly will allways make money, but sometimes you have to wait for the DVD to come out.
Being un-American (Colbertism) I had no way to give Fox money for it untill way after they cancelled the original series.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
I'd watch it... but I'm not sure if it would be any good... *SIGH*

Howabout a continuation and/or spinoff? Would that be too much to ask?