Firefly Reboot Rumors Soar Like a Leaf

Kiardras

Feb 16, 2011
Firefly without the original cast? I'm not convinced it would work... but I'd watch it.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Me55enger said:
I think there is a notable weight behind the idea of the opening sequence being Book and Wash.

On account that theyre both dead.
Either it could be a "this is how it could have been" deal, or a "Psych!" deal.

>.>

I wouldn't mind a reboot. Continuing it seems futile, but I could dig a reboot. Long as the cast has some level of chemistry.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
Unserious. He must be sick of it by now and telling us that it's the two dead characters who open it up is pretty much in the realms of jokes.

With great power comes great responsibility and I think the lesson here is, if Joss gets his tone of voice wrong, he'll find himself with $3 million and a 400 000 signature petition before he can check his emails :D

CJ1145

Elite Member
Jan 6, 2009
I'd say do a time-skip if they do reboot it. Ten years later in-show would be interesting to see, check out where everyone's wound up.

And then they can pull in a Gundam 00 and bring in Wash's twin to somehow be involved. And Book, well, I don't think we'd question an "I got better" from him.

RaNDM G

Apr 28, 2009
I wouldn't mind another series, but it has to be a new story in the same universe. A reboot with the same characters and a different cast wouldn't do it justice.

Jezzascmezza

Aug 18, 2009
But the cast all look so much older now!
I really like Firefly + Serenity, but I'm not going to get my hopes up over this. Even if it became properly confirmed I'd still be sceptical- just look at the current progress of the so-called "Arrested Development movie." They announced it almost a year ago, and supposedly confirmed that everyone was on board with it, but we haven't heard any news about it since. Guess what I'm trying to say is revivals in television are pretty hard to pull off...

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
A reboot with the entire original cast is the only thing worth doing.

A reboot without the original cast is not something i'm hoping for, thats for sure!

But, Whedon has some clout these days. After a go like the avengers, one would think he has a bit more leeway to do whatever he damn well pleases!

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
FelixG said:
I would watch it. I do have to laugh at the people who complain about people still wanting it though. Because it hurts them so bad that there are fans that want something...
Same here. On both accounts.

It's hilarious to me, if expected, that there are so many on this site who, for one reason or another, seem to hate this idea that someone likes something they don't. It's confounding really. It's like their worlds are shattered at the idea that people have differing opinions than them.

As for the news post, it's either some of the most exciting TV-related news I've heard in quite some time or one of the cruelest jokes Whedon has ever pulled.

I'll wish (not hope) it's the former, but I could see it being that latter.

Eclpsedragon said:
The don't understand it being the Science Channel.

I know Firefly is Science Fiction, but isn't the Science Channel mostly documentaries and the like?
Firefly; while being a fictional tale; had a fair bit of scientific realism to it. A lot of what was shown in the space-flight scenes and such adhered to most of the tenets of real-life. (save for the artificial gravity thing)

[sub]Which, coincidentally, is part of why I loved the show.[/sub]

So, in that sense, I could see it being on the Science Channel. It's still a hell of stretch, but not beyond the realm of believability.

malestrithe

Aug 18, 2008
Scars Unseen said:
I have to disagree with that. It is true that this happens to some series that run longer than they should(*COUGH*Heroes*COUGH*), but Joss Whedon's shows tend to have the opposite problem: they start slow and sometimes take a couple of seasons to hit their stride. First season of Buffy? Standard monster-of-the-week tripe in retrospect. Angel? Pretty boring until a couple seasons in. Dollhouse? First season was Quantum Leap until near the end of the season. Then it got good too late to keep Fox's interest. Firefly is the only Whedon show where the first season wasn't outshone by the preceding seasons, and that's possibly only because we didn't get more seasons.

Firefly wasn't cut down in its prime; it was cut down before it could hit a full sprint.
That's the problem with Whedon's projects in general. He does not have a clear idea what he wants to do with them. That strategy worked on WB because it was a network starved for content and it was willing to back moderately successful series like Buffy and Angel. Fox, which is never starved for content, can afford to be picky with what ponies it wants to back.

And why should Fox back a show like this? What they had was a disjointed series that alienated its target audience with its unfinished nature. To them, the ones that are not aware of this being Whedon's approach to writing, it was a waste of time.

Had Whedon done the work and make everything make sense BEFORE he wrote the pilot script, then the show would have lasted longer. I know the go to defense is that Whedon could not devote a lot of time and energy to making it work because he could not get a commitment from producers, but that's a cop out. It is also something successful show creators don't practice. He should have done the work anyway and make the series better than its unique premise and cutesy poo banter.

And spare me the correct order nonsense, please. If Whedon spent more time creating the universe before the first episode, then it would not have mattered if the train robbery was shown first. Had he had a better idea of what he wanted to do, then he could have easily written 5 minutes into that first aired episode explaining the universe.

Better shows are written with series finale in mind. Burn Notice has been building up towards its series finale from the pilot episode. Matt Nix did not expect the show to be picked up, but he did the work anyway and created a mostly complete storyline for the series as a whole. I could go on, I have about a dozen examples, but the point is the same. If firefly had more polish to it, then it would have lasted longer than one season because more than just the Whedon audience would have watched it. Whedon does not get a pass for being Whedon.

malestrithe

Aug 18, 2008
thiosk said:
A reboot with the entire original cast is the only thing worth doing.

A reboot without the original cast is not something i'm hoping for, thats for sure!

But, Whedon has some clout these days. After a go like the avengers, one would think he has a bit more leeway to do whatever he damn well pleases!
No, It's not. It may be the only thing you accept, but it is not the only avenue worth pursuing.

Here are some other options you might not consider:

1. You can continue the story with a new crew, a different ship, and a new storyline.

2. You can restart the storyline with a new cast playing the same role. Joss has already proven he can do that with Buffy. It may also give him a better opportunity to create an actual story instead of laying in the groundwork for future stories.

3. You can let it remain dead. Joss has already explored the story lines he wanted with the movie and the Dark Horse Comic Book series. Until he wins the multi-billion dollar payout, it is the only thing happening right now.

malestrithe

Aug 18, 2008
ravenshrike said:
As someone who was introduced to the series by Serenity and saw a grand total of one trailer for it, and that was after midnight on comedy central back when I actually watched TV, the reason Serenity's performance was lackluster is that there was virtually no advertising on it. Just like it's original run, the PR was horrible to nonexistent, which means everything spread through word of mouth. Not the best way to sell a movie unless your customer base is fully established, which it in no shape was. The DVD performance OTOH, along with the series, was fucking spectacular.
Lucky you. I like the movie, hated the series. Yes, such a thing is possible. Serenity worked in the way Firefly did not. Joss had a solid foundation to work with while making Serenity, that series everyone loves so much. The universe felt more complete in Serenity, and disjointed in Firefly.

That's the problem with the series. Whedon spent too much time laying the groundwork in for potential storylines and not enough time writing them. Had he done the worldbuilding before scripting first episode, then it would not matter the broadcast order. That much hated train robbery episode could have served as the pilot and got people interested in the series. If Joss did more world building before the first pitch meeting, he could have adjusted some of his plotting and make that episode the introduction to the series. But he did not do that and look where we are now. Blaming the network instead of the writer.

Alistair_Darkheart

Dec 20, 2010
I gave up hope along time back now, if this is true then great I'll watch it but until there's real proof I'm just going to be treating it as meh.

zombiesinc

One day, we'll wake the zombies
Mar 29, 2010
I've only just watched Firefly and Serenity, both of which I enjoyed (the series more for its story and lasting appeal, the movie more for its budget). I still feel a little confused with how positive people seem to be over the series, but it really grew on me, especially after I accepted that it was running on an impressively low budget. That and some less-than-stellar acting aside, I quite enjoyed it. Enough to say that I'd fully support a reboot and likely very much enjoy it, but not enough that I've got my nickers in a knot hoping it'll happen.

TheLazyGeek

Nov 7, 2009
I think a reboot would be awesome, but at the same time ,not so much. The time for a reboot has past and I think part of the reason Firefly is remembered so well is because of how short-lived it was. True, it didn't get a chance to grow into something bigger, but at the same time, it has because of loyal fans sharing it with people who might not have given it a second look. A reboot would kinda ruin that. So let's be thankful for what we did get and drop this silly rumor nonsense.