Firefly Reboot Rumors Soar Like a Leaf

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Firefly Reboot Rumors Soar Like a Leaf

Joss Whedon and the Science Channel have both expressed interest in a Firefly reboot.

This is purely speculation so take it for what it's worth, but speaking at the San Diego Comic Con this past Friday, Firefly [http://www.amazon.com/Firefly-The-Complete-Series-Blu-ray/dp/B001EN71CW/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1342457969&sr=8-5&keywords=Firefly] creator Joss Whedon expressed interest in "rebooting" the late, lamented sci-fi television series, with what some people said was a very real air of seriousness. The plan, if such a plan is in place, is to bring back the entire original cast - all of it - and start over from scratch.

"The opening sequence [of the Firefly reboot] is a conversation between Wash and Book," he said during a panel featuring members of the cast and crew. His comment apparently caught the cast members sitting with him by surprise, leading him to ask Nathan Fillion, "Have I never talked to you about this?"

The whole thing has the distinct ring of a joke to it, reinforced by his remark about opening the reboot with Wash and Book (not to mention a later crack about casting Zac Effron as Simon), but giving strength to the "maybe true" side of the argument is Science Channel [http://science.discovery.com/] General Manager Debbie Myers, who after learning of Whedon's professed interest in bringing back the series, told him, "We can help you with that!"

Was Whedon being serious? If he wasn't being serious, will Myers' obvious interest push him into the realm of seriousness? There are obvious logistical stumbling blocks - Fillion appears to be doing pretty well for himself these days with Serenity [http://www.amazon.com/Castle-The-Complete-Fourth-Season/dp/B0053O89KG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1342458238&sr=8-2&keywords=Castle] demonstrated, the Firefly fan base is noisy but niche. But the advent of specialty networks in the zillion-channel universe means the potential for niche television shows to flourish is much greater today than it was even just ten years ago. We won't know for sure until Whedon and/or the Science Channel says for certain one way or the other, but anything is possible - and more possible now than ever.

Source: Bleeding Cool [http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/07/13/a-reboot-of-firefly-joss-and-the-science-channel-say-%E2%80%9Cyes%E2%80%9D/]

Toasty Virus

Somehow I Returned?
Dec 2, 2009
Zac Effron as Simon is too terrible a call really...

I'm hoping this is true, but I'm not gonna get too worked up over it.

Clearing the Eye

Jun 6, 2012
Braedan said:
Not. Going. To. Happen.

Would be nice, but firefly is over.
Yup. People need to just get over it--not the show, but the idea of a series. It was a long time ago. It's done. Finished. End of. No more. Ever.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Oh i wish, i wish it were true.

But broadcast times or ill keep my hopes securely down.

cerebus23

May 16, 2010
why reboot it? to bring wash and book back after the movie that killed them off?

often wondered why scifi did not snap up the chance to make firefly when the cast,fans and joss himself were amped to do it. seems a bit late to jump on the bandwagon, especially when i have seen "brown coats" seem to think that firefly, is done anyway at this point and have given up.

If you really want to reboot the whole thing new actors would be in order, i love the cast, but some of them have moved on, some are just getting older, summer i have a hard time seeing her playing a 15 or 16 yo girl or w/e she was in the show.

I kinda hope they do it, but if they do make it a clean reboot, explore the ideas in the series that your dropped in favor of the move.

Erja_Perttu

May 6, 2009
Clearing the Eye said:
Braedan said:
Not. Going. To. Happen.

Would be nice, but firefly is over.
Yup. People need to just get over it--not the show, but the idea of a series. It was a long time ago. It's done. Finished. End of. No more. Ever.
Exactly.

Besides, one of the reasons I loved that show so much was because it didn't go on long enough to get crap. I'd rather have what I've got, and think it perfect, than get more of it and have the rest be substandard.

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
Like clockwork: New comic game announced, new Marvel movie clips being previewed, same old Firefly resurrected rumor. It's Comic Con, people...

Me55enger

Dec 16, 2008
I think there is a notable weight behind the idea of the opening sequence being Book and Wash.

On account that theyre both dead.

Judging from whatr I will personally call an astounding success with the Avengers, he could do
it.

It would answer the question as to whether Firefly is good because it was good, or because it got cancelled.

I will see how this soars with interest.

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
The don't understand it being the Science Channel.

I know Firefly is Science Fiction, but isn't the Science Channel mostly documentaries and the like?

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
The problem with Firefly was the cost per viewer was to high. Sci-Fi is always going to be more expensive to make than non sci-fi, so it has to get higher viewer figurers than the average to justify the additional cost. Serenity cost $39 million to make and took $38 million at the box office, I suspect there would be a small profit once all the dvd sales came in. The numbers aren't there to make Firefly viable.

ScruffyMcBalls

Apr 16, 2012
FelixG said:
I would watch it. I do have to laugh at the people who complain about people still wanting it though. Because it hurts them so bad that there are fans that want something...
Kinda can't help but agree with you there.

Back to the topic, I think it's a great idea. The original series was magnificent, my favorite tv series and In my eyes the best tv series, the only reason I didn't want another season is that Serenity saw the end of two of the best characters to ever hit the screen. But a reboot, now that shows some potential. I'd like to see the series start over again from scratch, cover the first season, perhaps even cover the movie, then expand on the ideas, plot-points and themes that were set up during the show's overly-short stint.
This could be fantastic people, not gonna lie. And it helps that despite what everyone says, not a one of the cast members is "too old" to play their roll and I doubt anyone has moved on from Firefly, not really if you let Firefly into your heart like us fans you'll realise that there's no leaving it behind, that verse is just too strong.

grigjd3

Mar 4, 2011
I have serious doubts about whether they can recreate what they had before. Some of the cast have moved on to bigger and better things and they may not bring the same enthusiasm they had before.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
I'm mixed on this...

Let's face it, Firefly is considered as good as it is in no small part BECAUSE there have been less than 10 episodes. It never got a chance to grow stale and the circumstances of its cancellation gave it a mythical quality that's only added to its popularity. I'm not saying the show would have been bad, just that we can't just assume it would have been the best thing ever. Also, while Whedon is good at his job, he's hardly perfect. See Dollhouse, which I personally liked but the show was a mess. Yes, he hits more than he misses, but still...

On the other hand, there's a distinct lack of sci-fi lately, to the point where it's getting VERY annoying. In fact, it's been ages since there's been a good sci-fi show on. Nothing major since BSG, and that sucked balls in the last few seasons. Sure, there's been some sci-fi "lite" in things like Fringe, but Fringe is also balls by this point. I'd kill for a decent sci-fi right about now. Heck, I'd kill for a mediocre one.

All in all, I'd say leave Firefly be and start a new show, or at most, a spinoff. Better for everyone...

NightHawk21

Dec 8, 2010
I don't know. As much as I'd love this to happen (and hope it does), I still think they should test it out (maybe rerun the original series on a big channel). I do think that with the recent game of thrones explosion that IMO opened a lot of the TV audience to fantasy, this might with enough push do the same for science fiction. Then if it gets a big enough new following, maybe do a reboot.

Plinglebob

Team Stupid-Face
Nov 11, 2008
Toasty Virus said:
Zac Effron as Simon is too terrible a call really...
While I feel like I'm explaining the joke, its already been done. In the episode Safe it flashes back to a young Simon and River with Simon played by Zac Effron.

Personally I'm against it. While it was a good series and a great film, its far too late to bring it back and all the fans would end up hating it anyway because of the pedestal they put it on. Now another sequel to Farscape on the other hand...

Jandau said:
On the other hand, there's a distinct lack of sci-fi lately, to the point where it's getting VERY annoying. In fact, it's been ages since there's been a good sci-fi show on. Nothing major since BSG, and that sucked balls in the last few seasons. Sure, there's been some sci-fi "lite" in things like Fringe, but Fringe is also balls by this point. I'd kill for a decent sci-fi right about now. Heck, I'd kill for a mediocre one.
Personally I blame BSG itself. It pretty much removed what, for me anyway, is a lot of the fun of sci-fi by trying to be realistic and "Gritty". This means that companies are now scared to do more of the fun sci-fi mixing the "Theory expanded to ludicrous point" and "Science is Magic".